PDA

View Full Version : Solution to the TE issue

IronHorseSooner
9/30/2009, 08:22 AM
Right now, we probably have the best blocking TE in the game with Brody; however, there needs to be a good receiving TE developed, as we all know, not just for this year, but for the next few years. I know that waiting in the wings is a guy like Ikard, and then we have the kid Millard coming in next year, but what is the interim solution? I have seen Hanna in for just a few plays, so is he the answer? What if we try using DeJuan Miller in that role? He's about 6'5" and almost 230. If the coaches like what he is doing, I say why not give him a try at this.

gaylordfan1
9/30/2009, 08:26 AM
Hmmm, good thought! This has never crossed my mind. Could work, although he may need to put on some weight. Have we even thrown a pass to Eldridge yet?

BoulderSooner79
9/30/2009, 09:32 AM
I wondered about using Miller too - in that H-back role. But with our no huddle, he would need to be able to line up tight and run block as well. Hanna and Mensik(sp?) both had a catch against TU. And I wouldn't rule out Ratterree because of the drop -- he did manage to get open :)

MiccoMacey
9/30/2009, 09:35 AM
And I wouldn't rule out Ratterree because of the drop -- he did manage to get open :)

You made me think...good job. I've been pretty vocal against Adron and Trent for dropping passes.

But everyone makes mistakes. I didn't look at the positives of each play.

I'll be less vocal against them....until they screw up again ;).

rawlingsHOH
9/30/2009, 09:38 AM
Right now, we probably have the best blocking TE in the game with Brody; however, there needs to be a good receiving TE developed, as we all know, not just for this year, but for the next few years. I know that waiting in the wings is a guy like Ikard, and then we have the kid Millard coming in next year, but what is the interim solution? I have seen Hanna in for just a few plays, so is he the answer? What if we try using DeJuan Miller in that role? He's about 6'5" and almost 230. If the coaches like what he is doing, I say why not give him a try at this.
Ikard is actually more in the Eldridge mold.

I'd really like to see Hanna take his game up a level. IMO, Ratterree is getting way too many snaps. Our scholarship guys need to step up!

Miller will not be playing any in-line TE this year, that is for certain.

BoulderSooner79
9/30/2009, 09:43 AM
You made me think...good job. I've been pretty vocal against Adron and Trent for dropping passes.

But everyone makes mistakes. I didn't look at the positives of each play.

I'll be less vocal against them....until they screw up again ;).

I try to stay positive because we have who we have. As Stoops said, this isn't the NFL and there is no waiver wire. One of the positives about those 2 TD drops (Tennell, Ratterree) in the TU games was that both of those drives still concluded with TD passes. To me, that showed resilience by both Jones and the team. Overcoming obstacles is a huge part of winning.

BillyBall
9/30/2009, 09:49 AM
What if we try using DeJuan Miller in that role? He's about 6'5" and almost 230. If the coaches like what he is doing, I say why not give him a try at this.

That is basically what Texas has been doing using Dan Buckner as a flex TE. If we can still run the ball consistently, then I'm all for it.

IronHorseSooner
9/30/2009, 10:10 AM
That is basically what Texas has been doing using Dan Buckner as a flex TE. If we can still run the ball consistently, then I'm all for it.

That was the example I was trying to remember. He's actually a little smaller than Miller, I think. He could cause mismatch problems because he has 4.5 speed as well. I always thought that Mensik was more of a blocking TE, and I have no idea what is going on with Hanna. Ratteree did do a nice job of getting open against TU, he just needs to finish.

MojoRisen
9/30/2009, 11:50 AM
I think we need to go with one recieving TE and One Blocking - maybe mixing and matching them all the time is causing them to Choke on catching the ball. Choke being a legitimate word as they make these plays in practice everyday and have been playing football probably since the third grade.

OUmillenium
9/30/2009, 11:58 AM
well said mojo

soonermagic14
9/30/2009, 12:41 PM
drop the TE set and put Madu in somewhere

primetime43
9/30/2009, 01:41 PM
drop the TE set and put Madu in somewhere

This!

Widescreen
9/30/2009, 01:52 PM
Have we even thrown a pass to Eldridge yet?

Not sure about this year, but last year he caught his only TD pass at OSU.

IronHorseSooner
9/30/2009, 02:00 PM
Have we even used "the bunch" formation this year?

okiewaker
9/30/2009, 02:01 PM
According to newsok stats Eldridge does not have any catches. But, I had no idea the team had 30 players with the last name of Edwards.

rawlingsHOH
9/30/2009, 02:04 PM
Have we even used "the bunch" formation this year?
Yes, pretty frequently with Clapp in trio.

IronHorseSooner
9/30/2009, 03:58 PM
Thanks. I know that we use Clapp in that formation, I just haven't been sure who we were using. Clapp, Eldridge, and likely a rotation of Hanna, Ratteree, or Mensik. If I was a DE, and I saw that Brody was coming to truck me, I might just pass out.

Hotrod3157
9/30/2009, 04:16 PM

I had thought that about Miller too. Gresham was a wideout who put the weight on to play tight end. Miller's never looked right to me playing WR if he could put on 20lbs and keep his speed he could be another match-up problem at tight end.

rawlingsHOH
9/30/2009, 04:29 PM
I had thought that about Miller too. Gresham was a wideout who put the weight on to play tight end. Miller's never looked right to me playing WR if he could put on 20lbs and keep his speed he could be another match-up problem at tight end.
Gresh had a much bigger frame coming in.

I do like the idea of Miller flexed out though! Let a linebacker try and play basketball with him.

madillsoonerfan5353
9/30/2009, 07:06 PM
Hmmm, good thought! This has never crossed my mind. Could work, although he may need to put on some weight. Have we even thrown a pass to Eldridge yet?

The one Ratterree (sp) dropped was suppose to be Brody's!

prrriiide
9/30/2009, 07:09 PM
That is basically what Texas has been doing using Dan Buckner as a flex TE.

And they've been eating defenses alive with it, too.

RR better be ready for him in Dallas.

htownsooner7
9/30/2009, 09:27 PM
Wyoming and UTEP defenses..

Toronto Sooner
9/30/2009, 11:08 PM
We think alike on this subject matter. I posted something similar about a week or 2 ago. My thinking was they could ease Dejuan into the role, perhaps starting him with situations where short yardage is required for first down and also goal line/end zone type situations where his height and pass catching abilities (along with his decent to good blocking) will be a huge assets.

If that's the case (as cheap as that excuse was) now Hanna has no excuse for how he can let a walk on TE (a walk on TE who plays like a walk on TE) beat him out for the #1 catching TE position on the team. Pathetic!.

We need a pass catching TE to step it up. Coach Wilson should start using Dejuan Miller at the TE position (temporarily), especially in double TE sets (where Brody focuses the blocking assignments). Give Dejuan a crash course in TE assignments. Dejuan hasn't been catching many passes at WR, but it sounds like he has been blocking well. He doesn't have a big enough body to play TE on a regular basis right now, but he might be able to go in with certain packages, especially in goal line/end zone situations where his height and his catching abilities represents an advantage.

stoopified
10/1/2009, 12:35 PM
Yes, pretty frequently with Clapp in trio.I'm thinking Matt Clapp could fill the role as passcatcher and blocker at TE.At 6'2 and around 250 he has adequate(although not ideai) size ,good speed and decent hands.