PDA

View Full Version : PBS National Parks series

A Sooner in Texas
9/29/2009, 08:01 PM
It's one of Ken Burns' all-encompassing looks at the topic at hand. This one features the history of the American discoveries of parks such as Yosemite and Yellowstone (which of course were already known and lived in by native Americans). Spectacular photography - worth watching just for that. But as usual with any of Burns' documentaries, it's chock full of amazing stories and facts, like the guy exploring Yellowstone with two other men, got lost for 37 days and when found was down to 50 pounds. :eek: He lived to tell the tale.

It's a good use of television, and a topic about which all Americans can be truly proud.

SoonerProphet
9/30/2009, 03:30 PM
I've watched Sunday and then again last night. Have tried to see if they have one on Big Bend. I have fallen in love with that park on my visits the last few years, just can't talk the mrs. into moving out to Alpine.

Turd_Ferguson
9/30/2009, 03:41 PM
PBS did a story about Dick Proenekke in the last year or so. Really amzing stuff. This guy was like the early years Les Stroud.

http://www.dickproenneke.com/DickProenneke.html

King Crimson
9/30/2009, 03:56 PM
it's an interesting topic. i have mixed feeling about Ken Burns but the whole idea that "beauty is nature" versus "nature as exploitation" is one that is topical.

the ghetto-ization of what looks good as the sanctification of what makes "the natural".

if we turn all the national parks over to the free-market, they will compete for better prices and better "nature".

olevetonahill
10/3/2009, 05:22 AM
I watched some

StoopTroup
10/3/2009, 09:56 AM
I've been DVRing this....good stuff.

Tailwind
10/3/2009, 12:22 PM
Was watching this the other day, interesting most of it.

I Am Right
10/4/2009, 10:02 AM
And you can't carry your weapon in a National Park because?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/4/2009, 12:06 PM
And you can't carry your weapon in a National Park because?The Politically Correct control the Parks.

I Am Right
10/4/2009, 01:02 PM
Crime control= concealed Weapon License

10/4/2009, 01:16 PM
Crime control= concealed Weapon LicensePC CAVE-IN ALERT! I think it would be too tempting for some idjuts to shoot the protected animals, if weapons were allowed in the parks.(Even though i believe restocking wolves was wrong) Maybe it isn't such a bad idea to prevent weapons in a park, although it is an invitation for people-killers to shoot other people without resistance by firepower. But, what criminal would want to go to the trouble of traveling to a Nat. Park to do that?...

Tailwind
10/4/2009, 01:25 PM
A little relaxation on vacation with a fun little murder or three?

10/4/2009, 01:29 PM
A little relaxation on vacation with a fun little murder or three?Don't get any ideas, there...you're being watched!