PDA

View Full Version : DeMarcus Granger Status?

primetime43
9/29/2009, 03:31 PM
Hate to start a new thread but I'm interested to know how he is coming along. I haven't heard anything about the kid. Does anyone have any updates?

JLEW1818
9/29/2009, 03:33 PM
I think his "coat" comes off next week

primetime43
9/29/2009, 03:35 PM
I think his "coat" comes off next week

well done!

Collier11
9/29/2009, 03:39 PM
I have heard that he wont play til Baylor or Texas but that is just speculation as far as I know

CK Sooner
9/29/2009, 03:40 PM
He has practiced and has been healthy since the beginning of the season.

I think it is just getting back in shape and re-learning technique.

Shouldn't be much longer.

Collier11
9/29/2009, 03:41 PM
well you also dont want to overdo it after back surgery

w0lfe
9/29/2009, 03:57 PM
I would love to see him back. But its hard to say.. Remember, they did say that an injury like this could possibly end a career too by never full healing

rawlingsHOH
9/29/2009, 04:09 PM
Low backs are almost impossible to predict.

KantoSooner
9/29/2009, 04:51 PM
whereas high ankles are easy.....and groins, well, groins are self explanatory.

Joe
9/29/2009, 08:19 PM
Does anyone else think he should just be redshirted and that way he'll have a full season next year? It could really improve his draft status for one, and help us immensely next year as well.

CK Sooner
9/29/2009, 08:22 PM
Does anyone else think he should just be redshirted and that way he'll have a full season next year? It could really improve his draft status for one, and help us immensely next year as well.

That may be what they are doing.

Collier11
9/29/2009, 09:32 PM
I doubt Granger wants that, he is an NFL guy as well although not a high pick

LawtonBoy74
9/29/2009, 11:07 PM
I think he was an NFL guy..but not anymore..he is a long ways off, I think an extra year would work wonders for his draft stock IMO of course

cvsooner
9/29/2009, 11:58 PM
From the latest Boomerblast, courtesy of OU SID office (http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/092709aaa.html):

The Comeback Kid
DeMarcus Granger has overcome a lot of obstacles to get where he is today.

"The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination."
- Tommy Lasorda, Hall of Fame Major League Baseball Manager

NORMAN, Okla. -- When looking to accurately describe DeMarcus Granger's character, one need look no further than that quote by Tommy Lasorda. Granger has gone through life with the odds stacked against him, but he has turned the tables on the doubters due to his shear determination.

Growing up in Dallas, Texas, Granger and his three siblings were raised by their mother, Debra Granger, in a rough neighborhood. Although his situation was not ideal, there were many positive influences in his life, including his mother and grandfather, Woodrow Manning.

"I love my mom for everything she has done for me and all of the odds that were against her," said Granger. "I thank my mom for instilling in me manners and good behavior. They have carried me a long way. My grandfather was also very important to me because he taught me how to be a man, and I still live by the advice he gave me as a kid."

At the age of seven, Granger discovered what would be the biggest influence and driving force in his life -- football. Through activities at the Boys and Girls Club of America, he was able to excel in football and eventually realize the potential he possessed.

"I grew up in the Boys and Girls Club, so playing football was like having a second home," said Granger. "If I couldn't go, they were always willing to send a car over and pick me up. That was my way out when I was a kid. Unlike a lot of people I knew growing up, I had a group of people who saw something in me I didn't see."

Granger experienced a lot of success playing football in high school but did not realize the possibility of playing in college until his junior year. His high school coach, Darryl Jordan, was the one who brought it to his attention that college was something he could achieve. The possibility of going to college meant that he could continue to play the sport he loved but, more importantly, it was a way to become a better person.

In 2005, Granger accomplished his goal when he came to the University of Oklahoma. After he had found his way out through football, Granger discovered a new goal -- getting his degree.

"My goal was just to graduate from high school" said Granger. "Now, five years later, I'm about to graduate college. I can honestly say not a soul in this school would have thought I would be graduating right now. In the back of my mind, I probably didn't think I would be either. That is one of the things my family thought was more important than football. It's a good feeling."

There have been many obstacles for Granger to overcome, including some he has caused himself. While it has taken the belief of others, the real push has been a deep belief in himself. Because of his resiliency, Granger is determined to achieve his goals, regardless of the obstacle.

"Nothing is going to stop me from doing what I want to right now," he said. "They will have to put me to sleep before I stop playing football. They will have to put me to sleep before I leave here without my degree. It's so close right now I refuse to let it slip out of my hands.

"I'm going to jump every hurdle they throw in front of me," he added. "I've jumped every one so far. I have tripped over a couple of them but I never stopped running. It might throw some wrenches in my engine, it might break down every now and then but I'm always going to get back up and go."

The journey to play football at a Division I program, continuing to play through injury, and eventually graduate from college once seemed impossible to Granger. The struggles have made him a determined man who can overcome whatever is thrown his way.

"The odds were against me in a lot of different areas," said Granger. "The odds were against me getting to OU, the odds were against me in graduating, and the odds were against me coming back from surgery. I'm starting to call myself the comeback kid because I feel I can come back from anything."

Gresho Murford
9/30/2009, 08:52 AM
**** washington

rawlingsHOH
9/30/2009, 09:41 AM
I doubt Granger wants that, he is an NFL guy as well although not a high pick
We can only hope he'd be able to pass a physical.