PDA

View Full Version : Jermaine Gresham declaring for the NFL.

MyT Oklahoma
9/29/2009, 01:41 PM
OU tight end Jermaine Gresham to enter NFL Draft

BY JAKE TROTTER, Staff Writer, [email protected]
Published: September 29, 2009

University of Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops admitted during Tuesday's weekly press conference that tight end Jermaine Gresham will enter the NFL Draft after this season.

Gresham is out for the year with a cartilage injury to his knee.Because he played as a true freshmen in 2006 he had the option of using this season to redshirt and coming back in 2010. But that will not be the case.

Many draft analysts projected that Gresham would have been a first-round pick had he come out after last season.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Read more: http://newsok.com/ou-tight-end-jermaine-gresham-to-enter-nfl-draft/article/3404877?custom_click=lead_story_title#ixzz0SWRs7gB 4

Thanks for the memories JG and best wishes on Sundays.

rawlingsHOH
9/29/2009, 01:42 PM
Wow!

goingoneight
9/29/2009, 01:42 PM
Legend.

MR2-Sooner86
9/29/2009, 01:43 PM
Is it really that surprising? I mean I hate to see him go but do you really blame him?

Gresho Murford
9/29/2009, 01:44 PM
But but but I thought he was going to come back b/c he obviously won't be drafted high b/c of his injury

primetime43
9/29/2009, 01:45 PM
this could be a big year for the Sooners in the draft. Could have 4 guys in the 1-15 range.

OUDoc
9/29/2009, 01:48 PM
Crap. :(

Best of luck to him.

badger
9/29/2009, 01:49 PM
Posted an hour ago here (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134152&page=3) :D

Mississippi Sooner
9/29/2009, 01:50 PM
I guess they must be telling him he'll be good to go for the combine and workouts. He'll have to prove that has all of his mobility back or else his stock will fall down a good bit.

Still I wish him the best.

w0lfe
9/29/2009, 01:52 PM
Its alright, now maybe we will have some big time TE's looking at us now that they know that Greshman will be gone and that the QB coming in will be another OU great.

Boomer.....
9/29/2009, 01:55 PM
I figured he would do this. Too bad for him that he didn't declare after last season. He still should be the #1 TE taken.

yermom
9/29/2009, 02:04 PM
it's awesome that he tried. sucks the way it turned out

i hope he goes to the Vikes :D

stoops the eternal pimp
9/29/2009, 02:09 PM
IMO he clearly the number 1 TE still...The guy I had has the 2nd best TE available, Gronkowski from Arizona, is going to come back after suffering a season ending back injury(I believe he had back surgery last week). Pitta from BYU is probably the number 3 TE and he isn't near the star potential that Gresham is.

TXBOOMER
9/29/2009, 02:18 PM
I didn't realize anyone thought he would be back.

Mississippi Sooner
9/29/2009, 02:27 PM
I didn't realize anyone thought he would be back.

I don't know how many people really thought he'd come back, but just the possibility that he could was intriguing.

OUDoc
9/29/2009, 02:29 PM
Thought he might come back since it will have been a while since he played and he knew Landry would be a solid QB.

IBleedCrimson
9/29/2009, 02:38 PM
god bless ya JG. sooner legend

boomermagic
9/29/2009, 02:40 PM
Is it really that surprising? I mean I hate to see him go but do you really blame him?

NOT AT ALL !

TexasLidig8r
9/29/2009, 02:46 PM
We are going to see a BOATLOAD of people come out this year.

The NFL is planning on having 2010 an uncapped year. The effectively will prevent the Player's Association from staging a pre-emptive strike as their contract expires.

The next NFL contract in all likelihood will have a rookie salary cap and a cap on first year bonuses.

Get your money while you can.

Mississippi Sooner
9/29/2009, 02:47 PM
I was just watching that Sam Bradford highlight reel and almost wept at the catches and runs Gresham made last year. Oh, what might have been.

kustang619
9/29/2009, 02:49 PM
suck!

stoopified
9/29/2009, 02:50 PM
Don't blame him for a minute,take the money and run J.G.

Crucifax Autumn
9/29/2009, 02:57 PM
Well ****. No surprise, but I was hoping.

BoomerSooner, esq.
9/29/2009, 03:00 PM
Good for him. Get in while the money is still there for the taking.

Def. gonna miss a freakishly good TE though.

JLEW1818
9/29/2009, 03:23 PM
yah Stoops said it earlier today

I'm sorry ... but if you honestly thought JG was going to come back to school... wow

BoulderSooner79
9/29/2009, 03:40 PM
The shock would have been if he did come back (a really *big* shock).

I don't see this as an impact to recruiting either way. An incoming true FR is probably not too concerned fighting for PT against a senior. But if there is some superstar TE out there more willing to switch to OU now, I won't complain.

CrimsonJim
9/29/2009, 03:54 PM
Looking forward to watching JG have a great pro career. Thanks for the memories, and there are many.

Gresho Murford
9/29/2009, 04:06 PM
POOH sighting around the 4 minute mark and he catches a ball!

Love ya gresh and thanks for the memories
_TLD2VmMI00&feature=PlayList&p=005F40D19DD4447F&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=95

stoops the eternal pimp
9/29/2009, 04:15 PM
great post gresho..one of the best drives in college football I've seen

madillsoonerfan5353
9/29/2009, 04:59 PM
I'm gonna miss him alot living just about 15 miles from Ardmore! He is a miss match for anyone and will have a great NFL career! Thanks for it all!

BOOMER!

madillsoonerfan5353
9/29/2009, 05:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eH4lRMr4Nc

madillsoonerfan5353
9/29/2009, 05:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA2AmzLs9SA

SWAGGER:D and #18 is in front of the pack!!! BOOMER!!!

rainiersooner
9/29/2009, 05:18 PM
I was just watching that Sam Bradford highlight reel and almost wept at the catches and runs Gresham made last year. Oh, what might have been.

Are you talking about during BCS Championship game? Yeah - Imagine throwing to him when we were on the goal line. Oh, what might have been.

madillsoonerfan5353
9/29/2009, 05:59 PM
Are you talking about during BCS Championship game? Yeah - Imagine throwing to him when we were on the goal line. Oh, what might have been.

Maybe this?

http://www.hulu.com/watch/52139/bcs-national-championship-touchdown-jermaine-greshams-second-okla

or this?

http://www.hulu.com/watch/52148/bcs-national-championship-touchdown-jermaine-greshams-first-okla

ashley
9/29/2009, 07:49 PM
I cannot believe how many people on this site say a player will plumment in the draft after an injury. Most injuries will be overcome. They said the same about AD..

Sooner-N-KS
9/29/2009, 07:58 PM
OU tight end Jermaine Gresham to enter NFL Draft

BY JAKE TROTTER, Staff Writer, [email protected]
Published: September 29, 2009

University of Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops admitted during Tuesday's weekly press conference that tight end Jermaine Gresham will enter the NFL Draft after this season.

Doesn't that seem like a strange choice of words........."admitted."

It sounds like Trotter thinks Stoops was doing something wrong or trying to hide something.

OUstud
9/29/2009, 08:00 PM
We are going to see a BOATLOAD of people come out this year.

The NFL is planning on having 2010 an uncapped year. The effectively will prevent the Player's Association from staging a pre-emptive strike as their contract expires.

The next NFL contract in all likelihood will have a rookie salary cap and a cap on first year bonuses.

Get your money while you can.

Yep. For better or worse this will be a stocked draft, if not stacked.

OU-HSV
9/29/2009, 08:02 PM
Can't blame him one bit. Good luck Gresham...I'm sure you'll do great.

OUAlumni1990
9/29/2009, 08:40 PM
I don't blame him. Thanks for all the memories, especially that endzone catch against Texas in '07.

MI Sooner
9/29/2009, 08:43 PM
I don't think that too many recruits would have been turned off by the possibility of having to sit behind Gresham for a year, since most won't contribute as true freshmen anyway.

SunnySooner
9/30/2009, 06:16 AM
Best of luck to Gresh, what a playa. His spot in Sooner history is well-earned. Can't wait to watch him on Sunday.

Blitzkrieg
9/30/2009, 06:57 AM
People overstimate the damage to his draft status, the real test will be during the combines. This surgey probably corrected a persistent problem and he had another year of maturing his body without the wear and tear.

StoopTroup
9/30/2009, 07:19 AM
I wish Jermaine all the best. I was completely blown away when they announced his injury prior to the bYu game. I hope his recovery and his future stays bright and I will be watching to see how he does in the combines and the Draft. Go get em J!

Now...that being said...

What makes some of you rank him as "Legend"?

I think he's definitely one of those memorable players that come along every now and then...but Legend? I usually reserve that for guys like TRRW, Jason white, Josh Heupel...etc. JG made some great plays and definitely is NFL Caliber...but Legend?

It's just one of those things we can definitely debate IMO.

It wouldn't have been the same without him and I really wish I was hearing him say he was coming back but that's a personal decision which I respect.

Again...I wish him well.

Good Luck Jermaine!

Gresho Murford
9/30/2009, 08:37 AM
I wish Jermaine all the best. I was completely blown away when they announced his injury prior to the bYu game. I hope his recovery and his future stays bright and I will be watching to see how he does in the combines and the Draft. Go get em J!

Now...that being said...

What makes some of you rank him as "Legend"?

I think he's definitely one of those memorable players that come along every now and then...but Legend? I usually reserve that for guys like TRRW, Jason white, Josh Heupel...etc. JG made some great plays and definitely is NFL Caliber...but Legend?

It's just one of those things we can definitely debate IMO.

It wouldn't have been the same without him and I really wish I was hearing him say he was coming back but that's a personal decision which I respect.

Again...I wish him well.

Good Luck Jermaine!

Legend is pretty strong but I think he is. His stats are monstrous for a TE but it really isn't all about stats. He helped us win 3 Big 12 Championships and showed up in big games. He also was selfless and decided to put millions on hold for a chance to win a championship as a Sooner. I also think PT is a Sooner Legend for everything he did for his teams.

StoopTroup
9/30/2009, 08:44 AM
His stats are monstrous for a TE but it really isn't all about stats. He helped us win 3 Big 12 Championships and showed up in big games. He also was selfless and decided to put millions on hold for a chance to win a championship as a Sooner. I also think PT is a Sooner Legend for everything he did for his teams.

Over coming adversity like PT did and switching positions when called on indeed gets you Legend Status. Paul gave his all as a Sooner.

JG did help us and yes coming back was selfless.

What I believe you can take from all of this might be that either Sam has definitely made the decision to move on now after Landry has shown he can lead this Team after this year and JG has decided to announce his departure...or he's not being selfless and thinks he might have made a mistake coming back.

Again...I sure hope his recovery goes well and I look forward to looking for him on Sundays and maybe even adding him to a Fantasy Roster.

legend...to each his own.

goingoneight
9/30/2009, 08:59 AM
I know it's been made clear he's a linebacker now, but I heard about this time last year that Ronnell Lewis was some kinda athletic freak of nature who could play offense as well. Does he measure up to TE standards? I dunno... I'm
at teh werk, so I can't do too much research. Just seems I remember hearing a lot about Lewis being a linebacker lean, but an "athlete" as far as to why he was signed.

IronHorseSooner
9/30/2009, 09:20 AM
I know it's been made clear he's a linebacker now, but I heard about this time last year that Ronnell Lewis was some kinda athletic freak of nature who could play offense as well. Does he measure up to TE standards? I dunno... I'm
at teh werk, so I can't do too much research. Just seems I remember hearing a lot about Lewis being a linebacker lean, but an "athlete" as far as to why he was signed.

From what I have heard, is that this situation was discussed, and when asked, the Coaching Staff, especially Coach V, bristled at the idea. My take is they we trying to turn him into a "Crash" Kindle type, where he was a hybrid LB-DE, to take advantage of his speed and athleticism. Right now, I think with the Balogun miscarriage of justice, the Tom Wort injury, and with Box's and RR's health history, he is very unlikely to be moved.

ouduckhunter
9/30/2009, 02:10 PM
Thanks for all of your contributions here! I'll be following you and cheering for you next year in the pros!