PDA

View Full Version : How good is Miami's defense?

boomermagic
9/29/2009, 09:12 AM
Can we consistantly move the ball against them and just as important get in the end zone ? I have not seen them play so far..

adoniijahsooner
9/29/2009, 09:16 AM
They are fast and athletic, but they are undisciplined, and will over run plays. Their front is also on small side, which means we ought to run the ball right at them all day long.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/29/2009, 09:17 AM
According to the announcers who called the game last week, the entire team runs a 4.2 40, with the exception of the LT, who runs a 4.4

Crucifax Autumn
9/29/2009, 09:17 AM
Pound 'em all day.

rawlingsHOH
9/29/2009, 09:21 AM
No idea.

They gave up quite a bit to a very average FSU offense. They shut down an Georgia Tech option game that gave them fits a year ago. They looked mediocre against a mediocre Virginia Tech O.

Their only home game they looked the best.

BoulderSooner79
9/29/2009, 09:42 AM
Their pass defense made Ponder, the FSU QB, look good. He has looked average at best in other FSU games I've seen.

boomermagic
9/29/2009, 09:43 AM
Their pass defense made Ponder, the FSU QB, look good. He has looked average at best in other FSU games I've seen.

That is encouraging..

rainiersooner
9/29/2009, 09:45 AM

Sounds like he did okay against BYU. Who knows about that game though? BYU seemed to just sh*t the bed.

boomermagic
9/29/2009, 09:45 AM
According to the announcers who called the game last week, the entire team runs a 4.2 40, with the exception of the LT, who runs a 4.4

I bet those are the same announcers who rate the Florida 40 yd. times.. :D

oupride
9/29/2009, 10:15 AM
We should have no problem moving the ball on them. It is their QB that scares the heck outta me.

KantoSooner
9/29/2009, 10:18 AM
yeah what OUPride said. I've watched their games and while they have some speed, they are not a good defense overall. And they are prone to emotional letdowns.
Just the sort of thing that watching Mr. Murray's tail lights blink as he heads into the endzone for the third or fourth time might do to your head....

LawtonBoy74
9/29/2009, 10:20 AM
We should have no problem moving the ball on them. It is their QB that scares the heck outta me.
I honestly dont think Harris is that good, he is ok..but shats himself whenever he is pressured

IronHorseSooner
9/29/2009, 10:30 AM
I honestly dont think Harris is that good, he is ok..but shats himself whenever he is pressured

Which is why I think we have an advantage there. If they had problems against VT, they will have a world of problems against our DL.

BoulderSooner79
9/29/2009, 10:43 AM
Harris throws a nice deep ball because he puts air under it and leads the receiver well. But that only works well against man coverage where he can read that his receiver has beaten the coverage. The read against against a sophisticated zone is much harder and it requires a harder throw. Guys may look open, but the window may be short and it can close while the ball is in the air if the QB can't deliver the frozen rope. Throw in good pressure from the D-line and I think Harris will struggle.

Widescreen
9/29/2009, 11:39 AM
Just the sort of thing that watching Mr. Murray's tail lights blink as he heads into the endzone for the third or fourth time might do to your head....

I just hope Murray gets the touches this time. He had 12 against Tulsa which isn't enough against better teams IMO.

cheezyq
9/29/2009, 11:42 AM
Tyrod Taylor was 4 of 9 passing...and Miami still couldn't stop the run.

goingoneight
9/29/2009, 11:46 AM
Murray's getting a fair share of touches both between the tackles and in the passing game. It's Jonathon Miller I'm thinking would be nice to see in the game against a fresh defense. He has the smoothness of Chris Brown but the quick feet and first step of Allen Patrick.

rawlingsHOH
9/29/2009, 12:22 PM
Tyrod Taylor was 4 of 9 passing...and Miami still couldn't stop the run.
And the funny thing is Herbstreit said Miami would win easily, because V-Tech would be the team that would have to sell out to stop the run.

rawlingsHOH
9/29/2009, 12:23 PM
I just hope Murray gets the touches this time. He had 12 against Tulsa which isn't enough against better teams IMO.
I know he got dinged after the summersault into the endzone.

IronHorseSooner
9/29/2009, 12:46 PM
yeah what OUPride said. I've watched their games and while they have some speed, they are not a good defense overall. And they are prone to emotional letdowns.

^^^This! Screens, misdirection, reverses, or even running the ball right at them will frustrate them.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/29/2009, 12:49 PM
Well I sure wouldn't base how good they are on either side of the ball off of what I saw Saturday..Playing in those kinds of conditions neutralizes speed...

BetterSoonerThanLater
9/29/2009, 12:52 PM

I've also heard that they have started lifting weights...;)

MojoRisen
9/29/2009, 01:01 PM
Yeah playing in the mud, and on the road for a young team is a recipe for a bad loss. I think I can remember a windy game against Iowa St a couple of years of go and we looked pitiful and really barely won. I am thinking that they are going to bring there A game and will be very fired up. Early play calling for us on Offense is going to be very important and we should pull out some plays for these boys. If you watched the Georgia Tech game, they were hitting and fired up at home.

we need to bring our A game in what could be a hard fought game for the duration.

BoulderSooner79
9/29/2009, 01:58 PM
^^^This! Screens, misdirection, reverses, or even running the ball right at them will frustrate them.

You mean good play calling might produce a positive outcome? ;)

cheezyq
9/29/2009, 01:59 PM
You mean good play calling might produce a positive outcome? ;)

Damn...why didn't we think of that? :-)

Mississippi Sooner
9/29/2009, 02:03 PM
All we have to do is score more points than they do. The rest is just details.

East Coast Bias
9/29/2009, 08:10 PM
Some of the descriptions of their defense sounds familiar-speed, over running plays, etc.? They would struggle covering slip screens,plays over the middle, QB scrambles. They can shut down the run as evidenced against GT(when they know it is coming) and with us you always know when it comes... We need to make some plays in the passing game over the middle.

BoulderSooner79
9/29/2009, 08:28 PM
Our offense is a pass-first offense by design and we never seem to be effective at the old "establish the run" tactic. Unless we are playing the Idaho States of the world, other teams can stop us if they know the run is coming. I was actually very pleased with KW's play calling against TU. I was afraid that after getting picked-off the first play of the game, he would go into a shell and we would struggle trying to force the run. But he kept with the pass game like nothing happened and Landry got about as many valuable reps as was possible in that game. That will certainly help us is Sam is not ready to go this week.

OPSEC
9/30/2009, 05:40 PM
I hear their D line is undersized which will hopefully allow us to jam down proverbial throat.

Their O line looks average but they are pissed this week. They were embarrassed and have promised that JHarris should not be touched ever again. I think our D line can get the pressure especially from the ends. Just too fast and strong.

My prediction (sadly): Another QB gets hurt and done for a few wks......and its not Landry/Sam.

IronHorseSooner
9/30/2009, 05:54 PM
I hear their D line is undersized which will hopefully allow us to jam down proverbial throat.

Their O line looks average but they are pissed this week. They were embarrassed and have promised that JHarris should not be touched ever again. I think our D line can get the pressure especially from the ends. Just too fast and strong.

My prediction (sadly): Another QB gets hurt and done for a few wks......and its not Landry/Sam.

If that happens, Miami is in a world of hurt because their three backups behind Harris either transferred or are hurt. Their backup QB, if I remember correctly, is a walk-on. Harris is really spindly, which makes you think that with OUr line, the Miami staff must concern themselves with this.

steebu
10/1/2009, 07:03 PM
They can shut down the run as evidenced against GT(when they know it is coming) and with us you always know when it comes... We need to make some plays in the passing game over the middle.

Not sure how much I buy "can shut down the run" part.

FSU didn't run much by choice.

GT started a walk-on at Center and a converted TE at RT, and their LG was injured. That's a recipe for disaster for an option team. PLUS having watched that game twice GT's lack of rushing yardage was a result of poor perimeter blocking and only 3 second half possessions (GT couldn't get the Cane offense off the field).

VT gashed 'em for 250 yards rushing, but one might argue that it was in inclement weather which, potentially, can favor the offense.

So, how good is their defense? Same as always: fast and undisciplined. Their secondary is suspect, which is great for a passing team! The key, as it is in just about every game, is stopping the run and pressuring the QB. If they can do that with their front 7 we could be in for a long day. They could be aided by our young OL.

Crucifax Autumn
10/1/2009, 07:19 PM
Not gonna happen. This game will be a coming out party for our O line and the rest of our receivers. Even better, this will be the game our D makes their name known with 2-3 defensive scores and several more where we're set up with a short field and easy scoring opportunities. Miami hasn't seen the closing speed we have and they will pay dearly.

Okie35
10/1/2009, 07:55 PM
No idea.

They gave up quite a bit to a very average FSU offense. They shut down an Georgia Tech option game that gave them fits a year ago. They looked mediocre against a mediocre Virginia Tech O.

Their only home game they looked the best.

They didn't even look that good then. FSU's dbs are TERRIBLE. Let me get on the topic of their defense though they easily stopped the triple option because that's all they worked on to prepare for GT. They know Nesbitt isn't really a passer. So they stopped all phases of the option and force him to throw. They won't be able to stop a balanced offense. Look how many rushing yards they gave up in the FSU and VT games :D. Brown and Murray should have a HUGE game. Landry should too considering Ponder is mediocre. I say the offense easily puts up over 400 total yards.

texas bandman
10/1/2009, 08:51 PM
I just hope they pound them...no mercy. I hate friggin' Miami.

sooner ngintunr
10/1/2009, 09:00 PM
It wasn't GT's real triple option, Dwyer was injured early on. He is key to that offense, they went to the pass after he got injured.

scUM defense sucks. We score 31 at least.

westcoast_sooner
10/1/2009, 11:21 PM
I think Miami's D is fast and undisciplined. The announcers on the VT game said their D-Line is undersized. Some of their DBs are out for the game as well. VT was mostly pounding the ball, but mixed in draws as well. Plus they had a QB that has some mobility.

I think we have to mix screens, draws with our straight ahead stuff. The receivers will have to block well, but they'll have to get open and expose the middle and catch what Landry throws them.

NorCaligator
10/2/2009, 12:01 AM
You guys will roll them.

Da U ain't back. They barely beat a pathetic FSU team, and that got some people excited before they learned FSU is maybe the 4th best team in the state of Florida (don't want to rule out UCF).

My prediction here last week was that VT would expose Miami, and they would follow that with a loss to you. Now its time for OU to CRUSH their spirit!!!

VA Sooner
10/2/2009, 12:03 AM
Start with the run game, wear down the defense and then let the air-show begin against their suspect secondary.

Our D-line is a wall... and has got the "swagger". Let them rush the passer all night and get the backup QB for Miami ready to play some ball as Harris gets pounded for a second week in a row.

38-10

Okie35
10/2/2009, 04:16 AM
Well I sure wouldn't base how good they are on either side of the ball off of what I saw Saturday..Playing in those kinds of conditions neutralizes speed...

It didn't for Tyrod Taylor *shrug*.

stoopified
10/2/2009, 05:05 AM
Hurricanes D = Golden Hurricane D + undeserved swagger.