PDA

View Full Version : Should Bradford have gone pro?

primetime43
9/29/2009, 08:33 AM
This is the poll question on the Dan Patrick show today. In case anyone missed the Gary Danielson interview yesterday they talked about Bradford for a good portion of the interview. I loved having Bradford come back but it never made since to me when he would have been a top 5 pick. The same could be said for Jermaine.

CBS' Gary Danielson joined the show to discuss all the big stories in college football.

-- "The sport has moved to a level now where a playoff is demanded," Danielson said. (Check out SI.com's new college football poll ... which looks at the rankings from the standpoint of how a national playoff would look).

-- Danielson says nothing shocks him in college football anymore. According to Danielson, after Appalachian St. beat Michigan, all bets are off. Any team can beat any other team.

-- Danielson says that one of the reasons we may have a playoff is that networks are heavily invested in certain conferences and can't afford to have those conferences out of the nationial title picture in October.

-- Danielson says the current system is broken ... conference commissioners just can't see it. Danielson says at some point fans are going to get bored.

[I]-- Danielson noted how significant it was that Sam Bradford visited Dr. James Andrews last week. Danielson says that Bradford may have given up $70 million by staying in college. Danielson said Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops should have told Bradford to go to the NFL. Danielson said Bradford had nothing to gain by returning to college football.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/

humblesooner
9/29/2009, 08:39 AM
Bradford should NOT have gone pro last year ... because he didn't want to.
Bob could have told him whatever he wanted to, but if Sam wanted to stay in school and get his degree and play another year OR TWO with his OU teammates, then that is what he should have done.
If Danielson wants to make the argument that Sam left a lot of money on the table, that is one thing. To say that he shold have gone pro because of that money is wrong. Sam will be set for life whenever he decides to enter the NFL draft. if you lose money that you could never hope to spend, what difference does it make? There is more to life than money.
Use Matt Linehart as another example. He is likely not going to be a big time NFL QB and will wash out of the league as soon as another younger replacement comes along. He has as much money as one person needs and he got to enjoy the University life an additional year with some of his best friends.

badger
9/29/2009, 08:41 AM

Ditto. His choice, not ours. His money, not ours. His career, not ours.

Sooner in Tampa
9/29/2009, 08:46 AM
Ditto. His choice, not ours. His money, not ours. His career, not ours.
Co-Sign

It is a decision between a player and his family...end of story. Hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20

And for the record...how in the hell does Danielson know what Bob Stoops told Sam Bradford?

primetime43
9/29/2009, 08:50 AM
Bob could have told him whatever he wanted to, but if Sam wanted to stay in school and get his degree and play another year OR TWO with his OU teammates, then that is what he should have done.
If Danielson wants to make the argument that Sam left a lot of money on the table, that is one thing. To say that he shold have gone pro because of that money is wrong. Sam will be set for life whenever he decides to enter the NFL draft. if you lose money that you could never hope to spend, what difference does it make? There is more to life than money.
Use Matt Linehart as another example. He is likely not going to be a big time NFL QB and will wash out of the league as soon as another younger replacement comes along. He has as much money as one person needs and he got to enjoy the University life an additional year with some of his best friends.

You can look at the Matt Leinert situation but what about Mark Sanchez? Looks like a pretty good decision to come out. I agree that at the end of the day it was Bradford's decision.

KantoSooner
9/29/2009, 08:51 AM
It's kind of silly for any talking head to opine on this type of issue. too many factors that are too personal (money, what team is likely to get you, how do you feel about your personal maturation as a player, 'loyalty' to college team, personal maturity, yadda yadda yadda) to allow any outsider to make a cogent judgement.
I wish the sports shows would talk more about sport and less about the tangential facets of the scene.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/29/2009, 08:52 AM
Its funny to here people say these things..."Jermaine(Sam) should have went pro..They lost millions of dollars."

People they didn't contract cancer or aids. It was injuries that heal. Heck Sam is almost back to 100%(i would guess). Jermaine will be 100% by the time workouts/testing startup..

Scouts/GM's have already seen enough out of both of those guys to make up their minds on whether they want them or not.

Mississippi Sooner
9/29/2009, 08:53 AM
I'll go along with those saying he shouldn't have gone to the NFL last year, and for the reasons Bradford gave at the time. He said he was having the time of his life and loving the college experience. He is working towards a degree. Whether he winds up with an NFL contract worth millions or not, he still won't find himself in ten or fifteen years searching for his next meal.

Crucifax Autumn
9/29/2009, 08:53 AM
Sam should have and still should do whatever he wanted/wants.

rawlingsHOH
9/29/2009, 08:54 AM

Exactly.

In my opinion, the financially safer decision (for all of these potential 1st rounders) is to go pro early.

But if the kid and his family have different priorites, we should respect them.

Crucifax Autumn
9/29/2009, 08:55 AM
Remember back when these talking head types always said the kids should stay in college and perfect their game/get their education? What the hell happened to that?

rawlingsHOH
9/29/2009, 09:02 AM
Remember back when these talking head types always said the kids should stay in college and perfect their game/get their education? What the hell happened to that?
That's the politically correct company line. Many are still spewing it.

rawlingsHOH
9/29/2009, 09:08 AM
Your example...

I'm not sure Leinart is the poster boy for coming back an addition season. It is rumored to have cost him millions. (who really knows?)

But you are correct, it is all up to the kids and what they give importance to.

boomermagic
9/29/2009, 09:08 AM
I simply could not believe Sam came back this year.. I was SHOCKED.. I would have grabbed the pro contract and ran but that is me.. I'm glad he stayed but look what happened and we don't know how it is going to turn out even now.. I think he probably should have gone to the NFL but I am glad he stayed... I know this is not a popular answer but It is the truth the way I see it..

adoniijahsooner
9/29/2009, 09:09 AM
Considering how many NFL players go broke after retiring; I will always believe that finishing a FREE COLLEGE EDUCATION, is the best way to go.

Crucifax Autumn
9/29/2009, 09:11 AM
I personally wouldn't be shocked if he returned next year.

adoniijahsooner
9/29/2009, 09:11 AM
Your example...

I'm not sure Leinart is the poster boy for coming back an addition season. It is rumored to have cost him millions. (who really knows?)

Warrick Dunn came back for his senior season, and he had less stability than Sam does family wise, and his career worked out just fine.

Why is no one bagging on Brandon SPikes, who also came back after they already won a championship?

boomermagic
9/29/2009, 09:14 AM

Are you serious ? It won't happen my friend.. :D

rawlingsHOH
9/29/2009, 09:16 AM
Considering how many NFL players go broke after retiring; I will always believe that finishing a FREE COLLEGE EDUCATION, is the best way to go.

Actually, OU and many other schools have programs in place for these (early entry) kids to either continue their education or resume it post-football.

I'm not sure if it is free but it is very convienient.

rawlingsHOH
9/29/2009, 09:17 AM
I totally agree. Especially if the shoulder injury lingers.

adoniijahsooner
9/29/2009, 09:18 AM
Actually, OU and many other schools have programs in place for these (early entry) kids to either continue their education or resume it post-football.

I'm not sure if it is free but it is very convienient.

Convienent is finishing while your at it, because most people in the everyday world have a hard time going back once they take a break.

Crucifax Autumn
9/29/2009, 09:18 AM
Are you serious ? It won't happen my friend.. :D

If we win the MNC he may be gone...otherwise he's got things he obviously wants to do.

sooneron
9/29/2009, 09:20 AM
This also brings up a bigger issue. The nfl and it's overpayment of rookies.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/29/2009, 09:30 AM
Knowing Sam (on a small scale) and his parents, I was about 90% sure he'd return. (PCN grads what what!) Bottom line, he (we) went to a high school where you get your post-secondary degree. He and his parents expected him to get that piece of paper. Plus he had like a 3.9 GPA.

boomermagic
9/29/2009, 10:03 AM
Its funny to here people say these things..."Jermaine(Sam) should have went pro..They lost millions of dollars."

People they didn't contract cancer or aids. It was injuries that heal. Heck Sam is almost back to 100%(i would guess). Jermaine will be 100% by the time workouts/testing startup..

Scouts/GM's have already seen enough out of both of those guys to make up their minds on whether they want them or not.

Obviously, Sam will be able to make a good living without football if that ever becomes nessasary.. However, when a player turns down an oppurtunity like Sam had he does risk losing that oppurtunity forever should he sustain a career ending injury.. I know he took out the insurance but that is probably a fraction of what his earning potential in his NFL career could be.. I guess the bottom line is one has to think about what is most important to them.. Most of us never get that sort of financial opportunity.. Sam took a chance it's a gamble and it could come back and bite you when you take that risk.. As i said, I was so glad that Sam came back but obviously I now wish Gresham had not.. If Sam comes back in great shape from his injury he made the correct decision {provided he remains healthy the rest of the season} If not he didn't IMO.. Time will tell

humblesooner
9/29/2009, 10:10 AM
Your example...

That was my point. Leinart came back and "lost millions". In the large picture, the money that he lost is money that he would not live long enough to even think about spending. Even with a dud NFL career, he is still set - financially - for life. He got to do something that he wanted to do and would never have another chance to do (play NCAA football for another year).

KantoSooner
9/29/2009, 10:13 AM

Why is this a problem? It's self correcting: you pay too much for a rookie and it doesn't work out? Don't do it anymore. I trust Jerry Jones and his ilk to be able to watch out for their own money. If they get dumb and pay some 23 year old (who might suffer a career ending injury at any time) 'too much' then more power to the young athlete.
The only folks 'hurt' on this deal are the older guys who didn't get to cash in when they were rookies. And, frankly, life ain't fair.

Jello Biafra
9/29/2009, 10:19 AM
That was my point. Leinart came back and "lost millions". In the large picture, the money that he lost is money that he would not live long enough to even think about spending. Even with a dud NFL career, he is still set - financially - for life. He got to do something that he wanted to do and would never have another chance to do (play NCAA football for another year).

STILL

after so many months of debating this....several of us are STILL missing the point. some times its about the game and not the money. you'll never know missing the game until you never play it again. one shot in pre season camp and it could be over like that. yeh yeh, he'll have millions. so what. its over and he still has 2 GUARANTEED years at OU. he still has a heisman (worth millions alone) and he'll have a degree and memories. the memories of a lifetime are being made right now as we speak and type for most of these kids. they will never know the passion for the game and love of teammates like they do RIGHT NOW>

stoops the eternal pimp
9/29/2009, 10:20 AM

I dont think it would have mattered if Leinhart left a year earlier or not..His draft stock plummeted once team gm's got to know him and his attitude, work ethic problems, etc...The same thing would have happened had he left a year earlier..

As far as "career ending injury", what exactly are the odds of that? How many guys get hurt in college to the point they can never play again. Look at the draft over the last 20 years and see how many guys were injured in their last year and how it truly affected their draft status.

Neither Sam or Jermaine have the "Injury prone" tag on them...DeMarco does..He is the one who should worry about the injuries affecting his draft round/money...

And whose to say how much money those guys lost..Nobody knows where they would have been drafted. Some NFLers thought the best thing for Sam to do was to come back and fill out his frame more before coming into the league.

BoulderSooner79
9/29/2009, 10:23 AM
From a pure football point of view, the jury is still out. We'll never know where Sam would have gone last year because he didn't go through the pro combines. Sometimes, the NFL drafts a player very differently than Kiper and co. predict. It is also yet to be seen what Sam does this season assuming he comes back. If he does heal 100%, he will do better at the combine next spring than he would have last spring - he is bigger and stronger. But as everyone has pointed out - it's Sam's life and lots of factors play into an individual decision.

humblesooner
9/29/2009, 10:23 AM
You can look at the Matt Leinert situation but what about Mark Sanchez? Looks like a pretty good decision to come out. I agree that at the end of the day it was Bradford's decision.

If you look at it purely from a financial point, you are correct. However, if Leinart is still financially set for life and was able to do something he wanted to do and would never have another chance to do again in his life (play NCAA football), who is to say he made a bad decision?

If Sam had decided to come out last year, I would be a small Detroit Lion fan because of him. But he decided to stay and there is no way anyone can say he made the wrong decision - regardless if he is able to play in the NFL or not.

oksoonerdave
9/29/2009, 10:29 AM
Sam would have faced 1st round draft selection from Detroit. I wouldn't have wished that on anyone. He made the best choice that suited him. Not the Pros or the coach. Sam will still go high on next years draft as he will light up the passing charts with the remaining games for OU. Perhaps he will be selected for a pro team that is bottom fodder.

oksoonerdave
9/29/2009, 10:32 AM
Sam would have faced 1st round draft selection from Detroit. I wouldn't have wished that on anyone. He made the best choice that suited him. Not the Pros or the coach. Sam will still go high on next years draft as he will light up the passing charts with the remaining games for OU. Perhaps he will be selected for a pro team that is bottom fodder.

Sorry folks meant to say "Perhaps he will be selected for a pro team that is NOT bottom fodder.

Nother senile moment

rawlingsHOH
9/29/2009, 10:34 AM

Yeah, it's definitely out of whack.

rawlingsHOH
9/29/2009, 10:38 AM
Neither Sam or Jermaine have the "Injury prone" tag on them...DeMarco does..He is the one who should worry about the injuries affecting his draft round/money...

Yes, he reminds me a lot of Felix Jones. Homerun hitter, but maybe not durable enough to be a full-time starter.

IslandSooner
9/29/2009, 10:38 AM
^^^ Agreed. How can staying in school and fulfilling a commitment to yourself, your family, and your coaches be considered the wrong decision? The money will come later......Boomer Sooner!

rawlingsHOH
9/29/2009, 10:50 AM
And on the flip side, Malcolm Kelly. He had all of those lingering knee issues last year. If he was a senior at OU, with that going on, it is possible he may not have been drafted at all. He may have maximized his pay out (even though he received a lot of flack at the time) by leaving early, not on the greatest of terms.

I just think having too strong of an opinion (either way) on these kids' decisions is a little petty.

primetime43
9/29/2009, 11:13 AM
And on the flip side, Malcolm Kelly. He had all of those lingering knee issues last year. If he was a senior at OU, with that going on, it is possible he may not have been drafted at all. He may have maximized his pay out (even though he received a lot of flack at the time) by leaving early, not on the greatest of terms.

I just think having too strong of an opinion (either way) on these kids' decisions is a little petty.

the same can be said for Curtis Lofton. He knew it would be hard to have another season like his junior season and at the same time risk injury. It seems the more time you spend in college the more the scouts find weaknesses.

JLEW1818
9/29/2009, 11:15 AM
Jrs will think twice now... not only at OU, but around the league

goingoneight
9/29/2009, 11:26 AM
Hindsight's 20/20. According to all sources, Sam included, the O-Line was supposed to be and looked as good as any we'd had here. Brody at center was supposed to be a great success story. Adron Tennell was looking like the next big-time pro-caliber WR and there was that Jermaine guy. The future looked just as if not more bright for 2009 as it did for any other Sooner team during Sam's time here. Combine that with the fact that at heart, home-grown Sooners like Sam, Gerald and Jermaine wanted to avenge the 0-3 bowl mark over their time here and wanted to etch their names in Sooner history the same way Tyler Handsrough and his teammates wanted to get the job done. UNC basketball is to OU football, we're about competing for and winning championships.
Having said why they *wanted* to stay, let's ask the people where Sam, Gerald and Jermaine would have been drafted... oh, wait... nobody ever knows that. Ask Adarius Bowman where he got drafted. Ask Reggie Smith.

Some guys are about money, and who could blame them? Some guys are investors at mind and have that chip on their shoulder to take care of unfinished business. Sam got hit plenty of times in recent years. He knows the feeling... "damn, that hurt!" He knew it long before 2009. The guy had surgery in between championship games last season if that tells you anything. The possibility of injury is always there.

TXBOOMER
9/29/2009, 11:32 AM
Maybe Danielson is a lions fan (he did play for them).

primetime43
9/29/2009, 12:15 PM
Maybe Danielson is a lions fan (he did play for them).

And he knew Stafford was overrated because he called a bunch of Georgia games over the years with CBS. This is all coming together now!

boomermagic
9/29/2009, 02:38 PM
Hindsight's 20/20. According to all sources, Sam included, the O-Line was supposed to be and looked as good as any we'd had here. Brody at center was supposed to be a great success story. Adron Tennell was looking like the next big-time pro-caliber WR and there was that Jermaine guy. The future looked just as if not more bright for 2009 as it did for any other Sooner team during Sam's time here. Combine that with the fact that at heart, home-grown Sooners like Sam, Gerald and Jermaine wanted to avenge the 0-3 bowl mark over their time here and wanted to etch their names in Sooner history the same way Tyler Handsrough and his teammates wanted to get the job done. UNC basketball is to OU football, we're about competing for and winning championships.
Having said why they *wanted* to stay, let's ask the people where Sam, Gerald and Jermaine would have been drafted... oh, wait... nobody ever knows that. Ask Adarius Bowman where he got drafted. Ask Reggie Smith.

Some guys are about money, and who could blame them? Some guys are investors at mind and have that chip on their shoulder to take care of unfinished business. Sam got hit plenty of times in recent years. He knows the feeling... "damn, that hurt!" He knew it long before 2009. The guy had surgery in between championship games last season if that tells you anything. The possibility of injury is always there.

You have a point for sure but like I said TIME WILL TELL if Sam's decision was a correct decision for him.. I would have taken the money and ran.. As much as I love OU football no one can blame a player for doing that and no one would.. It is a risk staying like he did..

Collier11
9/29/2009, 02:43 PM
He did what he WANTED TO DO so no, he didnt make a bad decision

stoopified
9/29/2009, 02:47 PM
I thought a college football scholarship was so a player could use football to get an education and not EXPRESSLEY to prep for an NFL career.Don't get me wrong I DO realize that CFB is the AAA minor league for the NFL but BUT there are still a FEW elite players who remeber what they are playing college football for.Contrary to popular opinion,it ain't all about the benjamins for everyone.