PDA

View Full Version : Big time college football players and facebook.

colinreturn
9/29/2009, 12:34 AM
Had a riveting discussion about this one. My thought is they should just delete or make it completely private and dont add anyone you dont know. so much extra hassle.

thoughts?

sooner59
9/29/2009, 12:39 AM
Yeah I think you are right. They shouldn't have to delete it, but they should definitely on add people that they know. And it should be obvious that you should never put anything on it that could compromise you or your program. Keep it private.

SCOUT
9/29/2009, 12:52 AM
Being a celebrity has many advantages and it has its share of disadvantages. For example, you don't get to post of facebook without the press, and pretty much everyone else, reading it.

I am sorry.

colinreturn
9/29/2009, 12:58 AM
i bring this up because landry jones is still adding random people and still gets crazy fandom wall posts on his page. + anyone can see it because some of his profile is public....

IBleedCrimson
9/29/2009, 12:59 AM
There is really no benefit for an athlete to have an open facebook or myspace page. Nothing good can come from it

colinreturn
9/29/2009, 01:00 AM
There is really no benefit for an athlete to have an open facebook or myspace page. Nothing good can come from it

completely agree

sooner59
9/29/2009, 01:03 AM
When I was a freshmen, I added several football players on facebook. I talked to them about what they do in practice and so on. None of it was anything I couldn't have probably guessed, plus I would have to be tortured to give away our gameday edge, so it was no big deal. But athletes need to realize that some people will take advantage of them so they need to be careful.

SouthFortySooner
9/29/2009, 12:15 PM
I have never opened a facebook. I need your prayers.

StoopTroup
9/29/2009, 12:21 PM
Prayers for SFS.

goingoneight
9/29/2009, 12:25 PM
I thought twitter was the in-thing right now? I mean, aren't we hearing about that damn site everytime someone of celebrity status so much as sneezes?

yermom
9/29/2009, 12:32 PM
now if normal people would realize this applies to them as well...

Mississippi Sooner
9/29/2009, 12:37 PM
I'm quite proud to be mostly out of the modern technology loop. No twitter, no facebook, no myspace. In another couple of years, I may officially cease to exist. All the better to slip into Owen Field on game day for free.

Boomer38Sooner
9/29/2009, 06:15 PM
Hey Colinreturn,
nice pic. i met Enter Shikari the sunday after the BYU game in Tulsa

SicEmBaylor
9/29/2009, 06:47 PM
I don't know that they shouldn't have one at all. I think they should keep their page limited to those within the same school network and approve only those friends they know well who are outside of the network.

SPuL
9/29/2009, 07:44 PM
i bring this up because landry jones is still adding random people and still gets crazy fandom wall posts on his page. + anyone can see it because some of his profile is public....

Yup. I added him last year. Didn't really see too much commenting. Then now when I check it, he has like 600+ comments a day.

I mean, sure he must be loving the attention but like many have mentioned, only bad can come from this. Especially with some of the questionable pictures he has up lol

OUAlumni1990
9/29/2009, 08:43 PM
The privacy settings on facebook are what can get kinda tricky. If you don't know how to use it, and don't have the settings right, other people can see your stuff even though they are not added as your friend.

SPuL
9/30/2009, 11:37 AM
^its usually just if you're in the same network only. Otherwise you can't unless it's a fan page.

So probably others in the oklahoma network would be able to see it, but those outside those networks wouldn't be able too.

MojoRisen
9/30/2009, 11:42 AM
People shouldn't take what is on face book to literally either - What has the world come too when people have to be scrutinized over sense of humor - I dog those people.

setem
9/30/2009, 12:07 PM
Not gonna lie I am friends on facebook with several football players. Mainly because I had class with them. The only ones that update their status are the ones that have graduated.

Lendy Holmes used to update his almost everyday, even when he was in school and 90% of the time it was something crazy and foul.

After the BYU game Manny updated his status at it said something like "What is with my sooners? we leave and this happens?"

I had class with Jeremy Beal and if I have a question about something he will give me the info. I never ask about anything that I don't need to know.

Chad Johnson Twitters all the damn time! CHILD PLEASE!

bearfan08
9/30/2009, 02:48 PM
facebook has taken over. My parents had their 30th reunion not that long ago and it was almost entirely done through facebook.

okiewaker
9/30/2009, 02:56 PM
Even big Bob has a facebook or myspace, can't remember which one. He said to keep up with recruits.

bent rider
9/30/2009, 03:17 PM
I'm quite proud to be mostly out of the modern technology loop. No twitter, no facebook, no myspace. In another couple of years, I may officially cease to exist.

Only if you cease to participate in fan message boards on the interwebs.

Reminds me of this:
http://www.geocities.com/simpsonsshrine/homer-internet.wav