PDA

View Full Version : Positive News for Bradford?

Sooner-N-KS
9/28/2009, 11:34 AM
http://www.normantranscript.com/sports/local_story_271121506.html?keyword=topstory

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops refused to discuss the chances of quarterback Sam Bradford playing against Miami Saturday, but gave a rosy outlook Monday morning on the Big 12 coaches teleconference.

"Progressing," the Sooner coach said when asked about his quarterback's recovery since suffering a separated shoulder Sept. 5. "All his rehab to this point has been positive."

Stoops confirmed Bradford had gone to Birmingham, Ala., over the weekend to visit renowned orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews. The physician's opinion wasn't any different from the ones the quarterback has received from OU's medical staff.

"It was an extra opinion as much as anything. Our guys have been awesome in their evaluations," Stoops said. "When it all first happened, he got multiple opinions and everybody's were all pretty similar that our guys were on the right track and doing the right things. That was the outcome the other day as well."

But Bradford still hasn't been named OU's starting quarterback for Saturday's game. What happens this week in practice will make the decision.

Bradford hasn't gone through a full week of practice since the first week of the season. He just started throwing the football again last week.

"We just have to feel comfortable that he's healthy and can make the throws we need him to make, and he ready to do it," Stoops said.

When asked if it would be a game-time decision, the OU coach said the decision should be made before the Sooners leave for Miami.

"I'm not much on being coy or be evasive on stuff. I usually call it like it is," Stoops said. "When we don't know, I say we don't know just yet. I'm not smart enough to deal with all that. I just call it like it is and that's what I'll do here. We'll see how the week goes."

beer4me
9/28/2009, 12:15 PM
"Progressing," the Sooner coach said when asked about his quarterback's recovery since suffering a separat."

When stoops talks like this it just means Sam is now off life support :O

TahoeSOONER
9/28/2009, 12:24 PM
I'd start Landry just show the country we can do it with or without Sam. I think it's clear Sam will be back soon enough so let him get healthy for Baylor. I still feel so bad for him and Gresh, nightmare.

badger
9/28/2009, 12:35 PM
I'd start Landry just show the country we can do it with or without Sam.

The fifth week of the season is no time to "show the country" anything that can turn out awful.

All we need is a win.

TXBOOMER
9/28/2009, 01:46 PM
The fifth week of the season is no time to "show the country" anything that can turn out awful.

All we need is a win.

No F'in doubt! If your Heisman Trophy winner that has game experience against great athletes is ready to play, you play him. If he is not then you don't play him it is that simple.

soonerfan28
9/28/2009, 01:55 PM
I think Landry's playing well w/the offense and if Sam is not at least 95% by mid week then Landry should get the start. Maybe sub Sam in if he we get ahead a bit, and let him get back in the groove before we put him out there again. Nothing is indicating at this point that Sam is getting practice time this week and if he's a game time decision then it needs to be Landry in there even if he's ready by 7pm on Sat.

Crucifax Autumn
9/28/2009, 01:57 PM
http://www.normantranscript.com/sports/local_story_271121506.html?keyword=topstory
"I'm not much on being coy or be evasive on stuff. I usually call it like it is," Stoops said. "When we don't know, I say we don't know just yet. I'm not smart enough to deal with all that. I just call it like it is and that's what I'll do here. We'll see how the week goes."

LMAO...Yep, Stoops is NEVER coy with the media! :P

BermudaSooner
9/28/2009, 02:11 PM
I think Landry's playing well w/the offense and if Sam is not at least 95% by mid week then Landry should get the start. Maybe sub Sam in if he we get ahead a bit, and let him get back in the groove before we put him out there again. Nothing is indicating at this point that Sam is getting practice time this week and if he's a game time decision then it needs to be Landry in there even if he's ready by 7pm on Sat.

The question is "what does 95%" mean. I don't think this is a matter of percentages. I'm speculating here, but assume that Sam will be able to throw swing passes and 5-10 yard routes just fine. I think the question is "can he throw the 20+ yard passes". If so, you definitely go with Sam. If we can't stretch the defense at all with any vertical passing game, then you trade Sam's accuracy on the short passes for Landry's stronger (for the moment) arm.

CBUS_SOONER
9/28/2009, 02:33 PM
With sooner football the past few seasons, I have learned to hope for the best but expect the worse

SPuL
9/28/2009, 05:59 PM
The question is "what does 95%" mean. I don't think this is a matter of percentages. I'm speculating here, but assume that Sam will be able to throw swing passes and 5-10 yard routes just fine. I think the question is "can he throw the 20+ yard passes". If so, you definitely go with Sam. If we can't stretch the defense at all with any vertical passing game, then you trade Sam's accuracy on the short passes for Landry's stronger (for the moment) arm.

I thought even with Sam full strength, Landry had a stronger arm?

bent rider
9/28/2009, 06:42 PM

Yeah, maybe but Sam was strong enough that the difference was not meaningful to success.

The key question, has Sam starting growing a mustache yet. I don't think he can grow a Landry 'stache in a few days. Or maybe?

Sooner-N-KS
9/28/2009, 06:47 PM

Maybe, but he's not there yet with the decision making. Landry still makes some bad decisions on when and where to throw sometimes.

Sooner-N-KS
9/28/2009, 06:51 PM
The question is "what does 95%" mean.

I've been wondering that myself. A lot of people are saying he shouldn't play unless he's 100%. Well, he didn't play 100% against OSU, did he? His hand was in some sort of brace.

It would be interesting to know at what % Sam would be more effective than Landry is at 100%.

Bosley
9/28/2009, 07:00 PM
You guys are really getting ahead of yourselves.

Landry played well against the secondaries of Tulsa and Idaho state.

Sure there were a lot of drops, but there were plenty of passes, if well covered would have been easy pick 6 plays. A lot of the passes where thrown behind the receivers and very few passes didn't require an adjustment by the players catching the ball.

Landry will be a great QB, but let's not get ahead of ourselves, he's no Sam Bradford.

klmbs
9/28/2009, 07:28 PM
Hopefully it is all good news for Bradford. Great player, great young man.

SanJoaquinSooner
9/28/2009, 07:52 PM
Yeah, maybe but Sam was strong enough that the difference was not meaningful to success.

The key question, has Sam starting growing a mustache yet. I don't think he can grow a Landry 'stache in a few days. Or maybe?

But is Landry 1/16 Navajo?

SPuL
9/28/2009, 10:06 PM
Maybe, but he's not there yet with the decision making. Landry still makes some bad decisions on when and where to throw sometimes.

Yeah, I wasn't saying Landry was a better overall QB. Just saying, from what I remember, Landry is able to throw the ball deeper than Sam. lol

CK Sooner
9/28/2009, 10:07 PM

No, but he is 1/3rd PimpaHoe.

Crucifax Autumn
9/29/2009, 12:50 AM
Weak.

AlbqSooner
9/29/2009, 05:40 AM

No, but Sam's not either ya blathering idjit.;)

fossil
9/29/2009, 10:16 AM

:) Probably can't grow a decent mustache at all. Folks with significant amounts of Native American blood have trouble cultivating facial hair.