PDA

View Full Version : Feel like hating ESPN today? Let me help...

the_ouskull
9/28/2009, 11:05 AM
For the second consecutive week the Southeastern Conference has three of the top four teams in the country, with LSU replacing Mississippi. The last conference to have three of the top four in the AP poll was the Big Eight in 1971, when Nebraska, Oklahoma and Colorado were Nos. 1, 2 and 3.

Now how's that for a worthless f*cking statistic? The last conference to have three of the top four was back when they actually had all of the top three, but ESPN wants the SEC to seem more important in the present than they are, historically, so they trot out sh*t like that.

Grrrr...

the_ouskull

Mississippi Sooner
9/28/2009, 11:09 AM
Again I'll say, LSU has no business being in the top ten, much less the top four.

Jello Biafra
9/28/2009, 11:11 AM
Again I'll say, LSU has no business being in the top ten, much less the top four.

and it will be proven

Ground_Attack
9/28/2009, 11:13 AM
LSU at #4 is an abomination!

yermom
9/28/2009, 11:22 AM
and it will be proven

like when they lost 2 games and still made the national championship game?

we need all SEC teams to lose at least 3 games, apparently ;)

1890MilesToNorman
9/28/2009, 11:24 AM
#4 LSU 115 pts for 61 against (4 games) 2 fluff games

#8 OU 122 pts for 14 against (3 games) 1 fluff game

Them damn stats must get in the way of the voters?

the_ouskull
9/28/2009, 11:26 AM
Those same voters that watched us, a national championship contender, lose to an over-rated BYU team in our season opener.

No, I think we're ranked around right. That doesn't make LSU correctly ranked, but I don't think we're too far off as of today. If we rake Miami, then we'll talk...

the_ouskull

Jello Biafra
9/28/2009, 11:29 AM
i think two one loss teams will be in the championship game THAT year was a weird one.

SoonerLB
9/28/2009, 11:42 AM
The absurd notion that the SEC is the top conference is as worthy of puke as is the notion that the SEC poster boy is the love child of The Almighty. That is all!

BoulderSooner79
9/28/2009, 11:45 AM
LSU has UF and Bama (and ole Miss) on the schedule. Their ranking has an expiration date.

SoonerPr8r
9/28/2009, 11:59 AM
You are all looking at this the wrong way. The reason that LSU is ranked so high is not to make the SEC look all powerful. It is so that when phlorida stomps them it will look better. The espn would put every one of florida's opponents at #2 the week before they played em if they could get away with it.

Collier11
9/28/2009, 12:28 PM
didnt the Big 12 have 3 of the top 5 last yr, not the same statistic but close enough

TahoeSOONER
9/28/2009, 12:30 PM
You are all looking at this the wrong way. The reason that LSU is ranked so high is not to make the SEC look all powerful. It is so that when phlorida stomps them it will look better. The espn would put every one of florida's opponents at #2 the week before they played em if they could get away with it.

As valid as your promotion points seem I think you are looking at this the wrong way. LSU is grossly overrated but we want them to beat Florida in Batondoosh with head wound coming off a bye and still coming out of the fog. LSU is going to lose along the way but Florida needs to lose two.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/28/2009, 12:33 PM
I'll take 3 in the top 3 for 500, Alex.

badger
9/28/2009, 12:34 PM
I feel a song coming on... and it ain't Freebird...

Wont you give 'em two weeks,
Give 'em two weeks mister,
Give 'em two weeks towards the door...mat?
Give 'em two weeks
Give 'em two weeks mister,
And you'll never see 'em in the top five no more.

One of them will fall and it will the hangover from the game will make them struggle the following week. Of course, Lester can blame it on the tough football played in the SEC if he tries to sneak into the title game with two losses again :rolleyes:

Desert Sapper
9/28/2009, 12:44 PM
I hope UF drops to LSU and loses to a panzy like Vandy. Trips to MSU and South Carolina don't look nearly like the gimmes they did before.

IronHorseSooner
9/28/2009, 12:52 PM
LSU has UGA next week in Athens. Their drop may come there.

Mississippi Sooner
9/28/2009, 12:58 PM
...Of course, Lester can blame it on the tough football played in the SEC if he tries to sneak into the title game with two losses again :rolleyes:

Living in the middle of SEC country, there is nothing that I get more tired of hearing. In any other conference, no team with less than two losses equals mediocrity. In the SEC, it's a measure of how tough the conference is. Whatever.

badger
9/28/2009, 01:21 PM
Living in the middle of SEC country, there is nothing that I get more tired of hearing. In any other conference, no team with less than two losses equals mediocrity. In the SEC, it's a measure of how tough the conference is. Whatever.

Cheer up, buddy. Mississippi shouldn't even count as being SEC country, since it has yet to make itself relevant in the SEC during the BCS era of college football :D

Think about it - Ole Miss thus far had only two notable periods during the BCS era - Eli Manning and crazy Coach Orgeron. Neither resulted in a conference championship or BCS berth.

Mississippi State also had two notable things during the BCS era - hiring a black coach and getting opponents "Croomed."

Now, neither Ole Miss nor Miss State has what made them unique and as such, be happy that you're a Sooner :D

Mississippi Sooner
9/28/2009, 01:32 PM
Cheer up, buddy. Mississippi shouldn't even count as being SEC country, since it has yet to make itself relevant in the SEC during the BCS era of college football :D

Think about it - Ole Miss thus far had only two notable periods during the BCS era - Eli Manning and crazy Coach Orgeron. Neither resulted in a conference championship or BCS berth.

Mississippi State also had two notable things during the BCS era - hiring a black coach and getting opponents "Croomed."

Now, neither Ole Miss nor Miss State has what made them unique and as such, be happy that you're a Sooner :D

I will take exception to only one thing. Back in the 2000 season, my boss was leaving for Hawaii, so he gave his tickets to the MSU-Florida game to me and my brother. We didn't have anything else going on, so we went up for what figured to be a typical beatdown by the Gators.

Well, it was just one of those magical days where the Dogs did everything right and the Gators never got out of second gear. One of the best times I've ever had at a non-Sooner game was watching Spurrier throw and then kick his visor down the sideline as the Dogs went on to a 47-35 win. The MSU students not only tore the goalposts down, they were clipping pieces of the hedges.

The Bulldogs went on to beat the Texas Aggies in the Independence Bowl that year in what turned out to be the height of Jackie Sherrill's heyday. No, it didn't really make them part of the SEC, but I'll never forget seeing Spurrier blow his top right in front of my eyes.

Of course, losses to teams like Troy, Middle Tennessee and Maine instantly destroy any cred they may have built.

stoopified
9/28/2009, 02:28 PM
It is awful early in the season to get this worked up over rankings.I meam I am more upset over USC moving ahead of us than LSU and its ranking .If we take care of business it will all work out,if we don't, then it won't matter.

pac10SUX
9/28/2009, 02:49 PM
I was watchin these ESPiN a$$hats and they were complaining about all the hype. And they're the ones doing all the hyping. LMAO. They're fulla she-ite.

Crucifax Autumn
9/28/2009, 04:12 PM
If it didn't **** me off so much I'd just think it's funny.

Stoopified is right though. It's too early to really get worked up. If it's like this after we kick azz the next 3 games I'll get truly upset and proceed with the bitchfest and the nasty e-mails.

BoulderSooner79
9/28/2009, 04:16 PM
It doesn't **** me off and I do think it is funny (well, entertaining at least).

Crucifax Autumn
9/28/2009, 04:30 PM
Don't get the wrong idea...I'm not jumping up and down throwing shat at the tv and calling to book banner planes or anything.

85sooners
9/28/2009, 04:35 PM

;)

Leroy Lizard
9/28/2009, 09:25 PM

I think MSU spends more time as the croom-ee, not the croom-er.

Sooner-In-The-Swamp
9/28/2009, 10:01 PM

I, too, live in freakin' SEC country. In fact, I live in freakin' TEBOW Land. It was awful this past season going into the NC game with all the idiotic Gaytor fans telling me every single day that there was no way that OU would ever have a chance against FU...err, I mean UF.

SOONER44EVER
9/29/2009, 12:22 AM
Now how's that for a worthless f*cking statistic? The last conference to have three of the top four was back when they actually had all of the top three, but ESPN wants the SEC to seem more important in the present than they are, historically, so they trot out sh*t like that.

Grrrr...

the_ouskull

I'll bet they don't FINISH the season 1-2-3 like the big 8 did.

Crucifax Autumn
9/29/2009, 12:34 AM
No one else will EVER pull that one off IMO

LawtonBoy74
9/29/2009, 01:00 AM
I understand everyone being upset with LSU being #4, but my question is who else would you put at that spot??? I honestly dont like the fact that USC jumped us after a victory against WSU, they might as well had a bye week just like us IMO

Collier11
9/29/2009, 02:25 AM
Everyone keeps saying outside of the Top 3, hell im not convinced that Bama, Florida, and Texas are the best teams in America, they may be but with the way this season is shaping up, who the hell knows?

starclassic tama
9/29/2009, 02:31 AM
say what you want about LSU, and i don't think they are great, but they are undefeated. even though they haven't looked great, they have already won 2 true road games. i hope they beat florida for sure, and win out. i'd love to get a crack at them this year with a healthy sam even though that is a long ways away

sooner59
9/29/2009, 02:34 AM
The #1 team in the country should not post a 23-13 victory to Tennessee at home. They can be beat. If nobody does that, its a shame.

And a shot at LSU this season for the MNC would make me find the quickest route to Pasadena.

Collier11
9/29/2009, 02:34 AM
Umm, Missouri, Auburn, UCLA, Texas A&M, etc...being undefeated at this point in the season doesnt really matter much. They have beaten an average at best Washington team and an average at best Mississippi St. Team

starclassic tama
9/29/2009, 02:37 AM
true but come on, you know LSU is better than those teams...

Collier11
9/29/2009, 02:40 AM
I think there are 4 teams, Florida, Bama, Texas, and OU (if SB is healthy) and I think the next 10 or 15 are about even honestly

starclassic tama
9/29/2009, 02:43 AM
i agree with that. this has definitely been a weird year, it seems like just about every team in the country is not all that great or has some glaring flaws.

BoulderSooner79
9/29/2009, 09:57 AM
I tend to agree with the top 3 statement at this point of the season. But there is plenty of time for some team to come on if they have the talent. OU, USC, LSU and even tOSU fall into that category. I haven't seen Cincy. Boise is well coached, but their win against the ducks was more a case of UO being totally inept (kind of looked like us against BYU :()

tanjou
9/29/2009, 10:01 AM
ESPN has a large financial incentive to play up the SEC. They paid the SEC over a billion dollars to run the new SEC Network and broadcast a majority of SEC games. You're nuts if you don't think they're going to use their monopoly on sporting news to drum up interest in SEC games they broadcast.

Get used to this sort of focused reporting, especially starting this coming off-season.

hunterou
9/29/2009, 10:03 AM
Not only is the SEC talked about too much; but it is apparent that the winner of that conference will get an automatic bid to the freakin title game.