PDA

View Full Version : Boise State to the B12(B14?)

OU Adonis
9/26/2009, 07:01 PM
What do you think about this guys...

Boise State to the Big 12(14) north.

Boise State
Nebraska
Colorado
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Mizzouri

Another team to the Big 12(14) south. (Maybe Houston?)

Houston
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas
Baylor
Texas Tech
Texas aTm

Scheduling wouldn't change too much.... you would lose one non conference game, you would schedule a "Rival" game.

A rival game would basically mean you would have one team from the other divison you play on a yearly basis like you do teams in your own division, and you would alternate years with all the other teams in the other division like you do now.

So for example.. OU schedule would be like this

OU plays all their divisional foes every year.
OU designates Nebraska as their rival and plays them yearly.
OU plays half of the other north teams yearly.. (3 a year)

6 south foes
1 rival from the north
3 of 6 north teams
2 non conference games

Just throwing something out there. Thoughts?

sooner59
9/26/2009, 07:04 PM
Just kick out Baylor and Iowa St.

okcusooner
9/26/2009, 07:08 PM
Don't like the idea of only two non-conference games.

Rather see Boise and say, Fresno State, join the Pac 10, turning it into a Pac 12 with a North and South Division. Sick and tired of a Pac 10 team (usually USC) not having to face the hurdle of a conference chanmpionship game.

Curly Bill
9/26/2009, 07:10 PM
I don't have strong feelings for or against the idea...

...but I'd vote no if pressed on the issue.

OUHOMER
9/26/2009, 07:11 PM
well, i like the idea of play NEB every year

OU Adonis
9/26/2009, 07:12 PM
Don't like the idea of only two non-conference games.

Our non conference games aren't very good. But I can see your point.

sooner ngintunr
9/26/2009, 07:19 PM
The problem with that would be * would choose ISU as their rival.

soonervegas
9/26/2009, 07:22 PM
I think you would be better served going after a BYU or Utah and maybe a city school a little to the east in relation to the Big 12. I.e. Memphis or Louisville.

There is probably a bigger chance that the Big 12 breaks up than something like this happening.

OUHOMER
9/26/2009, 07:29 PM

baylor

sooner ngintunr
9/26/2009, 07:37 PM
baylor

They already play baylor every year,try and keep up now:D

OU Adonis
9/26/2009, 07:39 PM
They already play baylor every year,try and keep up now:D

No, they only play baylor like every 2 years on average...

kelloggOUballa
9/26/2009, 08:22 PM
Super 16

West:
Boise State
BYU
Colorado
Colorado State
Oklahoma
Texas
Texas Tech
Utah

East:
Baylor
Kansas
Kansas State
Missouri
Nebraska
Oklahoma State
TCU
Texas A&M

hotshot13422
9/26/2009, 08:34 PM
Super 16

West:
Boise State
BYU
Colorado
Colorado State
Oklahoma
Texas
Texas Tech
Utah

East:
Baylor
Kansas
Kansas State
Missouri
Nebraska
Oklahoma State
TCU
Texas A&M

baylor is further west than us, at least waco is

bluedogok
9/26/2009, 08:37 PM
Well, the Dallas Cowboys aren't "east" nor the Texas Rangers "west". When it comes to alignments, geographic location doesn't always make sense.

MichiganSooner
9/26/2009, 08:42 PM
Does Boise play anything besides football?

If they did join the Big 12 it would be bad for them. Instead of being able to brag about their one miracle win we would be pounding them into oblivion on a regular basis.

Boomer Mooner
9/26/2009, 08:48 PM
The first condition would need to be to get rid of the blue field. That just aint right.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/26/2009, 08:49 PM
Boise would never go for it

sooner59
9/26/2009, 09:25 PM

Of course not. Its easier to beat up pansies and whine in the end than it is to actually play a tough schedule and earn your way in.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/26/2009, 09:51 PM
They have a pretty good money making thing going on right now...They are the cornerstone team of their conference, they are at a place where they dont need to travel out to face big opponents...

EstablishedSooner1967
9/26/2009, 10:14 PM
Only way for this to really work is make OU on one side and TX on the other and do like the SEC. Have it were OU/TX could play for conference title.

It would be cool to travel to Boise and CS

sooner ngintunr
9/26/2009, 10:27 PM
No, they only play baylor like every 2 years on average...

You can't be serious. Big12 South? They have played each other every year since 1981.

I guess its an inside joke or something.

OU Adonis
9/26/2009, 10:31 PM
You can't be serious. Big12 South?

I guess its an inside joke or something.

Since when is Iowa State in the Big 12 south?

The question was, who would be Baylors rival. Answer : Iowa State

sooner ngintunr
9/26/2009, 10:36 PM

Since when is Iowa State in the Big 12 south?

The question was, who would be Baylors rival. Answer : Iowa State

I was talking about *.

got it.

UteSooner
9/26/2009, 10:39 PM
If Boise wanted any competiton they would join the Mountain West. Not that I've ever heard anything official, but I would imagine they'd be welcome any time (it would help the MWC in their quest to join the BCS, something they want badly). That said, I doubt they want ANY competition outside of one non-conference game against a mid-level opponent each year. They know that if they win that one game, they have a good chance of ending up in a BCS game. That seems to be their model.

I think BYU-Utah joining a Pac-12 would be more likely than this Big 14 thing. But that's just me.

stoopified
9/27/2009, 09:50 AM
First of all BSU wants no part of a real football conference,second if we were to add two teams,I would rather see Tulsa,TCU join the league.

Frozen Sooner
9/27/2009, 09:57 AM

You think? Boise's been quietly begging to get into a BCS conference for years.

PLaw
9/27/2009, 10:14 AM
If ISU goes to the Big 11 to round out that conference, then I think BSU to the Big 12 would make sense. I'm all for requiring all major conferences to have 12 teams and conference championship game. It's the logical start to a playoff system. Expanding beyond 12 teams just doesn't feel right.

Really like the idea of a designated rivalary game if that team is not in your division.

BOOMER

Fraggle145
9/27/2009, 08:02 PM
Just kick out Baylor and Iowa St.

We keep Baylor so that we dont have to release records with and open records request since they are a private university.

Fraggle145
9/27/2009, 08:03 PM
And I dont personally want potato aggie ever to get a shot. F'em.

silverwheels
9/27/2009, 08:17 PM
12 teams isn't even the best number for a conference (the answer is 9 or 10 with round robin scheduling). 14 is much worse.

soonerinabilene
9/27/2009, 08:22 PM
Only way for this to really work is make OU on one side and TX on the other and do like the SEC. Have it were OU/TX could play for conference title.

It would be cool to travel to Boise and CS

and go two years without playing them in the regular season? uh,no.

SanJoaquinSooner
9/27/2009, 08:30 PM
Boise St isn't a PhD granting institution. The academics in the Big 12 wouldn't go for it. they're not comparable.

Frozen Sooner
9/27/2009, 08:43 PM
We keep Baylor so that we dont have to release records with and open records request since they are a private university.

Part of the hypothetical is the addition of Houston.

Edit: Whoops. Houston is public. My apologies, and I agree with your post.

Frozen Sooner
9/27/2009, 08:45 PM
Boise St isn't a PhD granting institution. The academics in the Big 12 wouldn't go for it. they're not comparable.

This is not correct. Boise State does indeed grant PhDs.

Computer and Electrical Engineering
Geophysics
Geological Science.

They also offer an EdD program.

yermom
9/27/2009, 08:53 PM
Boise is a little far away, don't you think?

i'd think we'd be going after TCU or Arkansas or something if we were going to add teams. traveling that far on a regular basis seems like it would cost too much, and it would be a lot tougher to get fans to travel that far

Knippz
9/27/2009, 08:58 PM
I'm for it. I'd love to put an annual or bi-annual beating on Boise St. :D

Dan Thompson
9/27/2009, 09:04 PM
PAC 12

bluedogok
9/27/2009, 09:36 PM
Yep, all the majors have them.

SEC: Vanderbilt
Big 10: Northwestern
ACC: Miami, Boston College, Wake Forest, Duke
Pac 10: USC, Stanford
Big East: Syracuse (Only football private, they have 9 private/7 public for basketball)
MWC: TCU, BYU
C-USA: Tulsa, SMU, Rice, Tulane
WAC: All public

In the other conferences.
MAC: All public, Hartwick College is an affiliate member in Men's Soccer
Sun Belt: Denver

HolaKyle
9/27/2009, 10:11 PM
Pros: More teams to beat on

Cons: More hands in the pot, like television contracts and BCS appearances

Plus, how would this impact other sports? I'm sure the Big 12 baseball fans wouldn't want to loose Baylor.

SoCal
9/27/2009, 10:27 PM
The first condition would need to be to get rid of the blue field. That just aint right.

They would need to expand seating of their stadium to more than 30,000! They beat Oregon...then who? They wouldn't be able to play week-in week-out in a BCS conference with the players they have. Give 5 years with a real schedule and field improvements then think about it.

SanJoaquinSooner
9/27/2009, 11:07 PM
This is not correct. Boise State does indeed grant PhDs.

Computer and Electrical Engineering
Geophysics
Geological Science.

They also offer an EdD program.

I stand corrected. 90% of their programs do not offer doctoral degrees. In the U.S. News and World Report Rankings, Boise St is categorized as a Master's University - West, whereas all the Big 12 schools are categorized as National Universities.

Boise State is in the same category, and ranked below such academic powerhouses as Eastern Washington, Fresno Pacific, and Chico State.

WA. Sooner
9/27/2009, 11:08 PM
Sorry but texASS has to many teams in the Big 12 now, don't add more

Frozen Sooner
9/27/2009, 11:11 PM
I stand corrected. 90% of their programs do not offer doctoral degrees. In the U.S. News and World Report Rankings, Boise St is categorized as a Master's University - West, whereas all the Big 12 schools are categorized as National Universities.

Boise State is in the same category, and ranked below academic powerhouses such as Eastern Washington, Fresno Pacific, and Chico State.

Well, yeah. I ain't sayin' they're an academic powerhouse by any measure. But hey, we let Stillwater Junior College in, didn't we?

Seriously, though, BSU isn't doing bad for a school that didn't even grant four-year degrees in my lifetime.

josh09
9/28/2009, 12:36 AM
Houston would quickly turn into a powerhouse. All the good recruits from the Houston area would at least look at them, if not go there. It would be interesting.

JLEW1818
9/28/2009, 12:52 AM
TCU b4 houston

josh09
9/28/2009, 12:55 AM
TCU b4 houston

Second that motion!

rawlingsHOH
9/28/2009, 12:01 PM
I don't think Boise's overall athletic department could handle.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
9/28/2009, 12:10 PM
Boise State and Utah to the Pac-10, Notre Dame to the Big 10(11). No reason for Notre Dame to be special anymore, they aren't. Rounds everything out.

beer4me
9/28/2009, 12:21 PM
Sorry but texASS has to many teams in the Big 12 now, don't add more

This what I was gonna say as it is now the B12 South only has two schools that are NOT from texass, why add another one.

Guess then we could have 3 divisons within the conf.

B12 North
B12 Texas
Big12 Middle (OU & losur)

badger
9/28/2009, 12:42 PM
If we were to add a single team, my first choice would be Arkansas. It would add another non-Texas team that would be an easy drive for fans that brings in a passionate fanbase.

My second choice would be Notre Dame, just because having more opportunities to beat them would be kick arse. As a bonus, having a television deal with NBC for the entire conference would be great big middle finger to ESPN.

Third choice is Utah or BYU (or both). Utah's fanbase is very passionate even if their team is seemingly fighting a losing battle, because no matter how many wins they have in a season, they'll never win a championship or even have the opportunity to fight for one in their mid-major conference. BYU would be the tagalong just because the two are attached at the hip and I'm not sure one would go without the other.

I would not be in favor of Boise State joining the Big 12, because they offer nothing. If they join a big-time conference, they will no longer be the little guy underdog, which is the only thing they bring right now. They'd lose that if they were to join a big conference and in the process, lose a lot of games to bigtime schools.

OUmillenium
9/28/2009, 12:51 PM
I really like the idea of having Houston in the conference. Don't like any of the other factors though.

badger
9/28/2009, 12:54 PM
I would be against any more Texas schools being in the Big 12 conference. The only other major conference that I can think of that has this many same-state schools in the same conference as the Big 12 does for Texas is the Pac 10... and the Pac 10 sucks. NO. MORE. TEXAS. SCHOOLS!

Boomer_Sooner_sax
9/28/2009, 01:07 PM
Here is my $.02. I don't think Utah or BYU makes sense geographically. Utah maybe a little bit more than BSU, but both are treks from the other schools in the conference. I think Houston would be a huge advantage to OU over TCU. We already play a game in Dallas every year, but have only played in Houston once that I can think of in recent memory, and that was the 2002 Big XII game. Houston is a fertile recruiting area and that exposure would be huge. As of now, the closest we get is A&M. Texas and Tech coming down here is a huge thing and there are a TON of OU alumns in Houston.

humblesooner
9/28/2009, 02:27 PM
I swear that 4 weeks ago, Houston to the B12 was never even a consideration for most people.
Houston is the flavor of the month right now since they beat OSU and Tech. This will not last. They are not a top tier D1 football school.
In just a year or two, KS will be coaching in a BCS conference and Houston will be looking for the next "Best Thing" and hoping they they hit the jackpot again. Similar to Tulsa back in the '80's.
Anyone remember John Cooper? John had a good year or two at Tulsa, moved on to the big time (AZ St?) and then the bigger time (Ohio St). Meanwhile, where is Tulsa? They are the 2nd-4th best team in a mediocre non-BCS conference.

Two years from now, anyone looking back on this thread will be say "What were these people thinking?"

gotpoi73
9/28/2009, 04:58 PM
i would rather see 1 more team go to the big 11, um i mean big 10, and two more teams go to the pac 10, then those d-bags would have to seriously consider a conference championship, which would push us closer to a playoff system. one can dream...sigh

OU Adonis
9/28/2009, 07:52 PM
I was trying to come up with a way to strengthen the north and add a rivalry game.

sooneron
9/28/2009, 08:15 PM
We'd get tcu before Houston Commuter college.

I'd rather have tulsa than Boise.