PDA

View Full Version : Ranking system

CaliBornSoonerBred
9/26/2009, 04:24 PM
Let me state this first, I've always said I like the pre season rankings and having them as a gauge and it's fun to say we're ranked so highly early on. But after the 07 upsets and this year shaking out in the same fashion, why shouldn't we just wait until week 4 or 5 to have any rankings? Cal is getting pounded right now, Fla St has looked horrible most of the year(except at BYU), Fla and the whorns have looked very beatable in every game, LSU struggled today, etc. Alabama seems to be playing the best ball in the nation right now and I think they would be ranked #1 right now if rankings came out on Monday for the first time. I really don't think there are as many "upsets" going on in CFB as there as teams who have been given too much hype based on all kinds of stupid logic who are just getting exposed.

Curly Bill
9/26/2009, 04:26 PM
Should we wait? Perhaps

Is it going to happen? No

beer4me
9/26/2009, 04:28 PM
Yea this has been an ongoing debate for sometime but nope it ain't gonna change ever IMO

Curly Bill
9/26/2009, 04:30 PM
Too many preseason magazines and TV shows to be sold to get rid of early and preseason rankings.

CaliBornSoonerBred
9/26/2009, 04:32 PM
I completely agree that it most likely will never change but it's getting so annoying to hear about teams for 3 weeks and have them shoved in our faces then they lose 2 out of their next 3 games.

CaliBornSoonerBred
9/26/2009, 04:33 PM
Too many preseason magazines and TV shows to be sold to get rid of early, and preseason rankings.

Unfortunately CFB and fans have to deal with stupid issues like this because of money. The same reason we will never have a playoff system in place.

Curly Bill
9/26/2009, 04:34 PM
I like seeing highly ranked teams getting knocked off. Things will work themselves out as the season progresses.

There was one highly ranked team that I did not enjoy seeing getting knocked off in week one. :mad:

stoops the eternal pimp
9/26/2009, 04:34 PM
Should we wait? Perhaps

Is it going to happen? No

exactly....

Take a school like osu or ol miss....those high pre season rankings equated to extra season ticket sales..

Curly Bill
9/26/2009, 04:35 PM
There are lots of reasons we do not have a playoff system.

...and no, I'm not going to go down the road of arguing this issue again. :D

Flagstaffsooner
9/26/2009, 04:38 PM
Its the beauty of College Football! Any team can be beaten on any given Saturday.

You want predictable booring football, watch it on Sunday.

CaliBornSoonerBred
9/26/2009, 04:40 PM
There are lots of reasons we do not have a playoff system.

...and no, I'm not going to go down the road of arguing this issue again. :D

HAHA I def wasn't trying to stir up that debate but I guess I'm just venting about seeing teams shoved down our throat like Ole Miss, aggy, etc and them just not panning out after we hear all this crap for weeks. Go figure, my basic complaint is with the mass sports media. I'll just shut up now

Curly Bill
9/26/2009, 04:44 PM
HAHA I def wasn't trying to stir up that debate but I guess I'm just venting about seeing teams shoved down our throat like Ole Miss, aggy, etc and them just not panning out after we hear all this crap for weeks. Go figure, my basic complaint is with the mass sports media. I'll just shut up now

Oh no, the board is here to rant. Carry on. :D

BoulderSooner79
9/26/2009, 04:47 PM
The BCS ranking doesn't come out until week 5, so what's the issue? The earlier polls are just for fun.

Flagstaffsooner
9/26/2009, 05:06 PM
As Bobby Knight said. "It's like rape, just sit back and enjoy it".

okcusooner
9/26/2009, 06:27 PM
Too many preseason magazines and TV shows to be sold to get rid of early and preseason rankings.

Hit it right on the head. Too much money has a stake in it. Networks love to be able to advertise early season games as #whatever vs. # whatever.

Of course, I am just pointing out why "what is" probably won't change anytime soon.

The poster's original point of "what should be" appears solid.