PDA

View Full Version : Quick! Need fashion advice!

iwannabelikesam
9/26/2009, 02:35 PM
Will this all go okay together? Black pants, grey sports coat, with a light blue shirt and a yellow/gold and blue striped tie.

I'm never good with coordinating all this when I am not wearing a suit. My girlfriend insist I wear this combination, and I dare not question it on my own. I think mainly I don't like it because I feel like an old man wearing the grey sports coat. (I'm not an old man)

TIA!

StoopTroup
9/26/2009, 02:37 PM
What are you dressing up for?

iwannabelikesam
9/26/2009, 02:38 PM
A wedding. It's going to be less formal than a normal night wedding. A suit would be a bit overdressed here.

mdklatt
9/26/2009, 02:54 PM
My girlfriend insist I wear this combination

Asked and answered.

StoopTroup
9/26/2009, 03:24 PM
A wedding. It's going to be less formal than a normal night wedding. A suit would be a bit overdressed here.

Not sure a light colored coat and dark pants are gonna look to good but if you'd post a few pics...we could really tell. :pop:

Chuck Bao
9/26/2009, 03:25 PM
I’m confused on concept. It is formal enough that you have to wear a jacket and a tie, but not formal enough to wear a suit, is that right?

Maybe there are occasions when that is required. I’m just not imagining it.

My suggestion is to go with what you are comfortable in, regardless of what your girlfriend thinks. Girlfriends always think differently from guys. If she wants to show you off, you at least need to be in something that you feel quite okay in. By posting here, it seems that you are not.

Wear your suit, if you are comfortable in it. If it is not so formal, you can take off your coat, take off your tie and roll up your shirt sleeves. I assume that the weather is warm. I also assume that the wedding is not at the yacht club.

Okay I admit that “styling” is not my specialty. I like the basic black suit and white shirt and any old damn necktie that doesn’t have too many stains on it. I seem to be able to navigate the social stuff and feel comfortable at the same time by just putting on and taking off the coat and tie and rolling up my sleeves when I start drinking.

MamaMia
9/26/2009, 03:34 PM
My husband never wears blue and black together.

StoopTroup
9/26/2009, 03:39 PM

However....some folks can pull it off. :D

http://www.pimp-suits.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/pd-pe-130145-lg.jpg

A Sooner in Texas
9/26/2009, 04:09 PM
If it's a light blue shirt with black pants, should be ok - especially cause the light grey sports coat will keep it from being too severe. Sounds like it'll work, especially for an afternoon wedding, where you can be a little more casual.

StoopTroup
9/26/2009, 04:21 PM
Don't let your GF catch the bouquet.

YWIA

ST

GottaHavePride
9/26/2009, 04:23 PM
1. It sounds fine.

2. A suit is NEVER overdressing at a wedding.

Side note: I actually think a suit would look better than the grey coat / black pants thing. In fact, if I'm not wearing A) solid black, B) a black suit, or C) a tuxedo, I'm not wearing black pants. I'd rather do dark navy with a pinstripe.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/26/2009, 05:47 PM
http://6dollarshirts.com/images/P/Tuxedo-Shirt-T-SHIRT-11266.jpg

Go in style, my friend.

And when you speak of me, speak well.

StoopTroup
9/26/2009, 06:08 PM
1. It sounds fine.

2. A suit is NEVER overdressing at a wedding.

Side note: I actually think a suit would look better than the grey coat / black pants thing. In fact, if I'm not wearing A) solid black, B) a black suit, or C) a tuxedo, I'm not wearing black pants. I'd rather do dark navy with a pinstripe.

Whatever!

http://jeffersonian.files.wordpress.com/2007/01/redneck-wedding.jpg

AlbqSooner
9/26/2009, 06:21 PM

A guy who thinks black and blue is a good thing will NEVER work on my teeth.:eek:

Chuck Bao
9/26/2009, 06:33 PM
Whatever!

http://jeffersonian.files.wordpress.com/2007/01/redneck-wedding.jpg

Yeah, whatever. Even if the bride and groom are wearing camouflage, if you are comfortable in a suit, wear it. But, if they get the paint guns out and start shooting the guests and little pouches of sunflower seeds is your only defense, your footwear is probably more important. Wear sneakers with the suit.

Breadburner
9/26/2009, 06:39 PM
If you wear black pants Blue or Brown socks will work best.....

olevetonahill
9/26/2009, 06:40 PM
Last time I wore a suit
I Got married:eek:
Hope to never wear one again
In an OU T,My hat,and Blue jeans dont werk I aint attendin :cool:

iwannabelikesam
9/27/2009, 08:04 AM
Thanks everyone. We ended up going with what was originally stated and I survived. I would spek some of you if I could...

StoopTroup
9/27/2009, 08:05 AM
Glad it went OK.

Hope you had fun.