PDA

View Full Version : Michael Crabtree = Bonzie Wells

SanJoaquinSooner
9/24/2009, 06:57 PM
Bonzie turned down a 5-year $38 million contract with the Kings - thinking he was worth much more. But the market said otherwise. He got stuck with a $2 million/year contract with the Rockets.

BoulderSooner79
9/24/2009, 07:06 PM
Hard for a lowly paid commoner like myself to understand this kids. The paper out here said that the 49ers offered him $1 less than the draft pick above him got. The 49ers are not known as a tight fisted team and they get their guys signed. How can Crabtree expect to get a larger contract by going through the draft again next year? He will have been out of the game a full season *and* he will be known as a contract pain-in-the-***.

Crabtree should look at AD. AD should have been the #1 pick, but instead of crying about it, he just took the money offered and proved he was the best back in the league if not the best player. And now he is making a mint on endorsements on top of the contract. I wonder how many Crabtree jerseys would have sold by now...

htownsooner7
9/24/2009, 08:11 PM
If there is justice in this business, his holdout will hurt him.

OUHOMER
9/24/2009, 08:16 PM
what a stupid move.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/24/2009, 08:16 PM
If there is justice in this business, his holdout will hurt him.

agree. doosh.

JLEW1818
9/24/2009, 08:18 PM
i hope he has family members that are starving . and he breaks all the bones in his body, and his family gets absolutely zero

am i the ***???

no, he is , take the millions now u ****ing trashy retard

OUHOMER
9/24/2009, 08:20 PM
i hope he has family members that are starving . and he breaks all the bones in his body, and his family gets absolutely zero

am i the ***???

Well, thats a little harsh. I was hoping he would lose a few bucks, but to starve is family, break his bones? Now if he were from texas ypu would have a legitimate argument ;)

JLEW1818
9/24/2009, 08:21 PM
I'm a horrible person , when it comes to horrible people

OUHOMER
9/24/2009, 08:46 PM
I'm a horrible person , when it comes to horrible people

well, he was one of my heroes last year.If it were not for his catch we would not have made it as far as we did, but Now, not so much

OUAlumni1990
9/24/2009, 08:51 PM
He got stuck with a $2 million/year contract with the Rockets.

I would love to get "stuck" with a 2 million dollar a year job. LOL

soonerguild
9/24/2009, 08:57 PM
The NFL is the only league that pays what it does for players that haven't even played in a single game. The NBA slots its picks and limits the size of rookie contracts, MLB makes you go thru the minors, so if you don't pan out you end up with your college paid for and your signing bonus. The NFL is completely different. These guys sign ridiculous contracts that can set a family for life, and yet you still have insane greed.

When you think about it, what is different between say 5 and 6 million a year. If you are worth the pick anyway, youll get a bigger contract and endorsements anyway.

Just ridiculous.

badger
9/25/2009, 07:47 AM
I trust Singletary on this one. Pants pulled down in the locker room at halftime last season aside, his judgment is usually sound in how to deal with players who have large egos and usually think of themselves more than the team... and the NFL is chalk full of 'em, so he's in the right place.

Take Vernon Davis for example, that tight end that got sent to the showers early last season. I saw him on Sportscenter last night talk about the importance of teamwork... wtf? I don't know what Kool Aid Singletary made him drink (or maybe its Vernon's contract year), but if that guy can turn it around, anyone can.

Also, don't feel worried about Crabbie's financial future. He has endorsement deals even if he doesn't have an NFL contract, heh :D

Frozen Sooner
9/25/2009, 07:49 AM
but if that guy can turn it around, anyone can.

If I can change, then YOU can change! We can ALL change!

http://nellospazionessunopuosentirtiurlare.files.wordpres s.com/2008/09/rocky-iv1.jpg

badger
9/25/2009, 07:54 AM
If I can change, then YOU can change! We can ALL change!

Froz is melting :D

yermom
9/25/2009, 08:27 AM

am i the ***???

i'm guessing his family is independently wealthy :confused:

how can he possibly think sitting out a year will benefit him? this is a bluff that went way too far. he needs to fire his agent or something and go crawling back to the 49ers as quietly as possible

it seems to me if you hold out enough to miss practice at all you are messing up your playing time and team dynamics, but i've never been in that position, so who knows?

badger
9/25/2009, 08:48 AM
Ever read "The Pearl?" In summary, a man who dives for pearls for a living desperately needs money for his wife and his sick infant. He thinks is life will turn around when he finds a pearl the size of a cueball, but perceives it as an insult when dealers offer him less money for it than he thinks it's actually worth. In the process of trying to get more money, he ends up losing everything important to him.

I wonder if Crabtree is holding out because he perceives these contract offers as insults?

fossil
9/25/2009, 08:58 AM
:rolleyes: I'm sorry......but this guy is just dumber than a box of rocks!! What an idiot!

SoonerAtKU
9/25/2009, 08:58 AM
That's exactly it. He sees himself as a pearl cast before swine. And let's not blame his agent, as his agent has sort of publicly distanced himself from Crabtree after this whole mess. It's pretty clear his agent wanted to get him signed and in camp.

badger
9/25/2009, 09:04 AM
NP disagree with me on this, but I just can't understand why people make such weird decisions after exclaiming "It's the principle!"

I've seen people give up the things they enjoy, turn down awesome opportunities or reject help from friends and family after exclaiming those three words while I give them a ridiculous facial expression. I am just a simpleton, I guess.

Mississippi Sooner
9/25/2009, 09:21 AM
You can blame a lot of this on the insane sideshow that the NFL draft has become over the last couple of decades. Not only is it now a primetime, must see event, but people put more stock than ever in those stupid mock drafts that guys like Kiper do. Why anyone should think a guy with televangelist hair should know exactly how the draft will play out I don't know, but by draft day those forecasts are taken as gospel by not only the fans, but the draftees themselves.

Oh, and let's not forget, the conventional wisdom was that the Raiders would take Crabtree in the spot where they instead took Heyward-Bey. Anytime you try to second-guess Al Davis, you'll probably guess wrong.

Nevertheless, neither of those receivers have proven anything in the NFL yet, but Heward-Bey is getting paid and trying to make a name for himself while Crabtree sits at home and pouts.

Mark_in_Tulsa
9/25/2009, 09:35 AM
Even if next year he get's 1st pick money, he still won't make up for what he lost this year. That's what you get for using your greedy brother as your agent who knows nothing about the sport.

badger
9/25/2009, 09:41 AM
Mike Leach, who I think knows his receivers quite well, has already said that Crabbie goes his own way (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/18/leach-crabtree-more-of-a-longer-than-a-diva/) and won't listen to others' advice if he doesn't want to. Leach said his advice to Crabtree was to stay at Tech another season... and given the circumstances, he might as well have done that so that he'd be on the field.

So, blame his agent, his family, his friends, his advisers, but if what Mikey says is true (and I have no reason to doubt the crazy pirate captain), then this is all Crabtree's doing, not anyone else's.

soonerinabilene
9/25/2009, 10:01 AM
I think he is scared to sign now. After missing all of camp, all of preseason, and now two games, would you really want to finally sign and have your first practice with Mike f'n Singletary? Good luck with that.

SoonerLB
9/25/2009, 12:11 PM
He ain't worth what they were offering him, which makes him the king of all idiots! His over-rated, egocentric azz can get a jorb at McDonalds for all I care, there are already enough primadonnas in the NFL.

bearfan08
9/25/2009, 01:41 PM
The Pearl reference was perfect I might just have to steal that one.

Collier11
9/25/2009, 01:45 PM
i'm guessing his family is independently wealthy :confused:

how can he possibly think sitting out a year will benefit him? this is a bluff that went way too far. he needs to fire his agent or something and go crawling back to the 49ers as quietly as possible

it seems to me if you hold out enough to miss practice at all you are messing up your playing time and team dynamics, but i've never been in that position, so who knows?

Read an article yesterday, unfortunately he already has millions in endorsments that he is collecting without even playing...that is why he isnt worried

badger
9/25/2009, 01:45 PM
The Pearl reference was perfect I might just have to steal that one.

Forced reading back in high school for me. I enjoyed the book (I think its a Steinbeck) but I think it's a tad bit controversial. It's a very short read also (about the size of a Narnia installment, if memory serves correctly) if any of you want a recommended read.

If you aren't a fan of reading, I gave the Cliff's Notes above.

yermom
9/25/2009, 02:31 PM
Read an article yesterday, unfortunately he already has millions in endorsments that he is collecting without even playing...that is why he isnt worried

in that case, he's a genius. i retract my previous statements :D

badger
9/25/2009, 02:38 PM
in that case, he's a genius. i retract my previous statements :D

According to this (http://www.cnbc.com/id/32984056), he doesn't have any active endorsements, but just a Subway deal for media appearances and an online campaign for the draft.

That same article said that his jersey and card sales are falling... but he probably collected a little before this whole holdout thing really took off.

So anyway, he's not broke... but he's probably even getting less than whatever he from the anonymous booster that convinced him his college career should be Lubbock ;)

OUMallen
9/25/2009, 02:59 PM
NP disagree with me on this, but I just can't understand why people make such weird decisions after exclaiming "It's the principle!"

I've seen people give up the things they enjoy, turn down awesome opportunities or reject help from friends and family after exclaiming those three words while I give them a ridiculous facial expression. I am just a simpleton, I guess.

I totally agree. In fact, advice given to my class in law school regarding client acceptance was that if any client wants to sue "on the principle" of whatever, you should proceed with caution and seriously consider not taking the case at all.

badger
9/25/2009, 03:10 PM
I totally agree. In fact, advice given to my class in law school regarding client acceptance was that if any client wants to sue "on the principle" of whatever, you should proceed with caution and seriously consider not taking the case at all.

If I watched The Practice on ABC closely enough back before it got canceled, these types of cases yielded no payout to lawyers, because instead of accepting settlement offers, they would want to push the case more and more to make their opponent suffer the most :D

My own example: A person my age loved to write, but refused to take a mandatory training class that was required to participate in a writing group at the beginning of the year. Thus, this person could not participate, even though this person had for awhile. I was all like "Just take the stupid training class. It will only take 20 minutes and even though we've all learned the material in previous years, it won't be that difficult to just sit through it to make the adviser happy." The person's response: "It's the principle!"

They never took the class and didn't partake in their favorite activity that year.... all over a silly 20 minute training session that was all just a bunch of slides with the adviser joking to us students.

beer4me
9/25/2009, 03:12 PM
well, he was one of my heroes last year.If it were not for his catch we would not have made it as far as we did, but Now, not so much

My feelings to the T

Oldnslo
9/25/2009, 04:04 PM
When a client says it's about the principle?

It's about the money.

When a client says it isn't about the money?

It's about the money.

Collier11
9/25/2009, 04:44 PM
According to this (http://www.cnbc.com/id/32984056), he doesn't have any active endorsements, but just a Subway deal for media appearances and an online campaign for the draft.

That same article said that his jersey and card sales are falling... but he probably collected a little before this whole holdout thing really took off.

So anyway, he's not broke... but he's probably even getting less than whatever he from the anonymous booster that convinced him his college career should be Lubbock ;)

THATS NOT TRUE [hairGel] Sorry Badg, that was too inviting ;)

Here is the story I read it from and the actual quote

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?page=hotread2/crabtree

How long can he go? Crabtree won't be hurting for money any time soon. He has endorsement deals with Subway, EA Sports and Nike Jordan Brand sneakers. Trading cards could possibly net him another six figures.

BoulderSooner79
9/25/2009, 05:24 PM
I'll bet those current endorsers assumed he would be playing by now and feel they are getting the short end of the stick. I can't imagine that is going to help with future contracts. If I were in their shoes, I would have an out clause in the contract for such a circumstance.

SPuL
9/25/2009, 06:45 PM
please don't bring up the Bonzi wells saga. I'm a kings fan and that was the off-season that ruined the franchise. After such a promising season, taking the #1 seed to 6 games, Kings were looking on the come up. Even had Artest say "I'll take a million dollar pay cut if you bring back Adelman and Bonzi."

What do the Kings do?

They end up losing both. 3 coaches later....

blahh

prrriiide
9/25/2009, 09:07 PM
Many athletes (like AD for example) are smart, and they have agents woring for them. Others, like Crabtree, are stupid and get worked by their agents. That idiot is going to sit a year and wind up getting re-drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round for the 2nd or 3rd round money he deserves.

Cam
9/26/2009, 10:43 AM
Everything I've read says it's Crabtree, not the agent. He's pissed he wasn't the 1st WR taken in the draft, period. This is nothing more than his ego not fitting thru the door. He's a dumbass.

Leroy Lizard
9/26/2009, 11:27 AM
I wonder if Crabtree was rooting for the 49ers, or against them, in their first two games. :)

oudivesherpa
9/26/2009, 12:18 PM
Bonzie turned down a 5-year $38 million contract with the Kings - thinking he was worth much more. But the market said otherwise. He got stuck with a $2 million/year contract with the Rockets.

Heh, with the difference between California State Taxes, Property Taxes, Franchise Taxes, Personal property taxes, Taxes on food versus only property taxes in Houston Bonzie actually came out ahead.:D :D

SanJoaquinSooner
9/26/2009, 12:36 PM
please don't bring up the Bonzi wells saga. I'm a kings fan and that was the off-season that ruined the franchise. After such a promising season, taking the #1 seed to 6 games, Kings were looking on the come up. Even had Artest say "I'll take a million dollar pay cut if you bring back Adelman and Bonzi."

What do the Kings do?

They end up losing both. 3 coaches later....

blahh

Actually, that's why I bring it up. I'm a Kings fan too. Bonzi was dynamite in the playoffs and that's why he thought the market would net him a better deal than what the Kings offered. How could he and his agent so misjudge his market value?

... last year of the Kenny Thomas contract. Yeah!!