PDA

View Full Version : Too much time, or not enough......

royalfan5
9/24/2009, 05:48 PM
http://journalstar.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/article_794fddfe-a91c-11de-bbfb-001cc4c03286.html

3 to 5(In Nebraska that means 1.5 to 2.5) years for fatally shooting his wife while playing a "game". He forgot the gun was loaded, pointed it at her and pulled the trigger, and killed her. I tend to think he should have gotten a longer stretch for this, but gun safety precepts have been hammered into my head pretty hard as my step-dad has taught hunters safety for 30 odd years. What do y'all think.

landrun
9/24/2009, 07:18 PM
I guess its better than shooting yourself while teaching your woman about gun control?
http://www.ksdk.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=185501

According to witnesses, Looney was demonstrating how to use the different safety mechanisms on several guns to his girlfriend. The witnesses said Looney would put the guns to his head, and before pulling the trigger, would ask her if she thought the gun would go off. With the first two guns, the safety mechanisms worked. The third gun fired.

LosAngelesSooner
9/24/2009, 07:38 PM
I think he's a liar at worst...and an incompetent buffoon at best.

He should get 5-10, with no chance of parole before 5 years. And it should be a felony so he can never legally own a gun again.

GottaHavePride
9/24/2009, 08:07 PM
I guess its better than shooting yourself while teaching your woman about gun control?
http://www.ksdk.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=185501

Let me guess... Was the one that went off a Glock?

Tulsa_Fireman
9/25/2009, 07:28 AM
I think he's a liar at worst...and an incompetent buffoon at best.

He should get 5-10, with no chance of parole before 5 years. And it should be a felony so he can never legally own a gun again.

As opposed to a misdemeanor?

Help a brother out. How does one get 5-10 years in the Buttdart Hotel withOUT being charged and convicted with a felony?

Frozen Sooner
9/25/2009, 07:38 AM
Joshua Beasley was ordered to turn himself in Oct. 4. With good time, he likely will serve about 1 1/2 years. As a convicted felon, he will not be allowed to own a firearm.

Not sure what the Nebraska statute is for manslaughter, but it seems rather odd that they allowed a plea to assault on this one. No, he didn't intend to kill her, but he was certainly reckless.

Half a Hundred
9/25/2009, 08:19 AM
Not sure what the Nebraska statute is for manslaughter, but it seems rather odd that they allowed a plea to assault on this one. No, he didn't intend to kill her, but he was certainly reckless.

Nebraska Statutes (http://uniweb.legislature.ne.gov/laws/laws.php)

Seems like First Degree Assault (infliction of serious bodily injury, which this certainly was) is a class II felony, while manslaughter (which he certainly was culpable of) was a class III felony. From the look of it, they figured that having to live with the guilt of stupidly killing his wife is enough punishment and that he shouldn't have the condemnation of a manslaughter conviction on his record for the rest of his life

Frozen Sooner
9/25/2009, 08:33 AM
But don't we want society's moral condemnation for someone stupid enough to point a loaded weapon at his wife and pull the trigger? Hell, there's even a decent case for murder here. I have a hard time saying that his mistake of fact was in good faith when he just loaded the dang thing.

SanJoaquinSooner
9/25/2009, 08:36 AM
I'll have to remember the "I forgot" defense.

Frozen Sooner
9/25/2009, 08:45 AM
I forgot armed robbery was against the law.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/25/2009, 02:25 PM
Just like the wifey in Houston today who wanted to "scare" her ironing his pants hubby after they had an arguement. She pointed their hand gun towards him and fired to scare him. She hit him in the abdomen and now he's dead. She scared him all right.

royalfan5
9/25/2009, 03:29 PM

The victim's family pushed for the lowest possible felony according to some of the other stories, which is why they didn't go for manslaughter.

Frozen Sooner
9/25/2009, 03:34 PM
F that. Victim isn't the DA's client. Society is.

I guess "odd" is the wrong word.

Then again, I'm one that says that once there's no defects in the arrest or evidence, charge them bastards with the biggest thing you can prove.

royalfan5
9/25/2009, 03:36 PM
F that. Victim isn't the DA's client. Society is.

I guess "odd" is the wrong word.

Then again, I'm one that says that once there's no defects in the arrest or evidence, charge them bastards with the biggest thing you can prove.

You can take that up with Gary Lacey Lancaster County DA, and not me.

Frozen Sooner
9/25/2009, 03:37 PM
F that. It's your fault. You and your soft on crime state.

Frozen Sooner
9/25/2009, 03:38 PM
Why do you want murderers to go free?

I'll bet Khaddafi calls you "son" and stuff.

royalfan5
9/25/2009, 03:43 PM
F that. It's your fault. You and your soft on crime state.
In Nebraska, we aren't that concerned with white super religious people shooting each other, which was the case here.

Frozen Sooner
9/25/2009, 03:44 PM
Just another example of the man discriminating against white Christians, I guess.

Frozen Sooner
9/25/2009, 04:00 PM
"I forgot hijacking planes was against the law."

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2009/09/25/ns-jamacian-hijacker-guilty.html

SanJoaquinSooner
9/25/2009, 07:34 PM
Should be 3 to 5 for pointing the gun at her, and 25 to life for pulling the trigger while pointed at a person.

swardboy
9/26/2009, 07:23 AM
Should be 3 to 5 for pointing the gun at her, and 25 to life for pulling the trigger while pointed at a person.

I'm quite inclined to this view....

StoopTroup
9/26/2009, 07:38 AM

The fact that there has to be a law for such an act...well...you would think that is a no-brainer...but in the World of Defense Law I guess there are folks who actually think that it's No Harm No Foul when you do that to someone.

It's sad that folks who terrorize friends and family members....well...it's just sad that we can't just water board them as they wake up in the morning and then give them the 25 to life.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/28/2009, 08:29 AM
"I forgot hijacking planes was against the law."

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2009/09/25/ns-jamacian-hijacker-guilty.html

What the hell??? Sounds like he is a bit mentally challenged (or may be an act), but still.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/28/2009, 08:30 AM

I wonder if the Houston wifey will get such lenient of treatment???