PDA

View Full Version : Egads! There's Been a Crack in the Time-Space Continuum!

Sooner04
9/24/2009, 12:37 PM
And as you fly through this time warp you're approached by a shadowy figure in a fedora. You can't see his face, but you can hear his voice. You're relieved when he tells you that you won't be stuck in this time warp forever. Actually, you won't be stuck for long at all. You'll actually only be stuck in there for a very few minutes.

The man in the fedora tells you that you've slipped through this crack for one reason and one reason. You're going to alter the course of history, OU FOOTBALL history, that is. You've got the power to change the outcome of only one play in the long, glorious past of OU football.......but which one do you choose?

Do you quantum leap a spare defensive end to stop Dick Lynch on the toss play against Notre Dame in 1957?

Do you place Mike Vachon's foot more square on the ball on any of the four field goals he missed against Texas in 1967?

Do you change the arc of the ball so Mildren doesn't overthrow Harrison late in the Game of the Century in 1971?

Do you quantum leap Tony DiRienzo to Los Angeles to kick field goals against USC in 1973?

Do you pull Billy's knee down at the tree before he fumbles in Lincoln in 1978?

Do you install winshield wipers on the frames of the side judge against Texas in 1984?

Do you let Jamelle slip against O-State in 1987 instead of letting him plant and shredding his knee?

Do you do the same for Mike Gaddis against Texas in 1989?

Do you help Roy jump a little higher against O-State in 2001 and knock away that pass to T.D. Bryant?

Do you deflect the pass at the Sugar Bowl in 2003 instead of letting Jason White throw it for a Pick-6?

There are so, so many to choose from, but you've only got one choice. I wrote an essay on this very topic a few years ago and here is what I came up with: I never let Aikman's ankle break.

So Jerome Brown never comes through that hole, and Aikman finishes the game. AND THEN he leads us to a victory over Miami on that overcast October day in Norman. Then what? Well, I think the offense we see that afternoon continues to flourish, but not enough to win a national championship in '85.

If you'll remember, the offense looks pathetic against Minnesota and Texas, only mustering 13 and 14 points in those two games. Against Miami and their roster of all-world freaks, we start moving the ball up and down the field. Why? Switzer and the staff start utilizing Aikman's passing abilities and the Hurricanes started looking like the Golden Hurricane on defense. I believe that trend continues throughout the season and is successful enough to carry us to the Orange Bowl, but not to the title. Winning the Ice Bowl would've been rough with Aikman and beating Penn State, who shut us down all night, would've been even tougher.

I do think Aikman leads us to glory in either '86 or '87, more than likely the latter. The '86 Hurricanes were unbelievable and I don't think a backfield of God, Christ and the Holy Ghost could've beaten that team in the Orange Bowl. Testaverde's five interceptions in the Fiesta Bowl was as much a point-shaving Exhibit "A" as the Duke/UNLV '91 National Semifinal, in my honest opinion.

But in '87, it would've all come together. Our schedule was a breeze. Texas sucked. UNT and Tulsa weren't exactly top-notch OOC opponents. We saw what Nebraska was made of when they lined up against our defense and pissed themselves. Holieway doesn't play against OSU, therefore he doesn't shred his knee, therefore Thompson never experiences the media blitz following his win over Nebraska in the Game of the Century II. The '87 Miami team we met in the Orange Bowl was nothing like the team from the year before. Steve Walsh was no Testaverde. They scored 20 on us, and I'm here to believe that Aikman could've done better than that.

So, if he doesn't break his ankle, what happens?

Well, I think Switzer is here until at least 1995. The Dallas job isn't even an issue because his aspirations are not to follow a two-time Super Bowl winner, at least not straight from the OU sideline. Sure, the whole Jerry Parks deal happens, but I still think Switzer fights through it. You want to know why? Because Aikman didn't get hurt, and the shift to a more open style of offense means the coaching staff has no use for a 5'7'' option quarterback from Lawton, Oklahoma.

http://i.cnn.net/si/si_online/covers/images/1989/0227_large.jpg

We've got no use for recruiting Thompson in '85 with Aikman running the show. We've got Jamelle Holieway, Eric Mitchel and Glenn Sullivan all right there. Thompson goes to some JUCO for two years and goes far away from here. He might sell some coke somewhere, but he darn sure isn't on the cover of SI delivering the death blow to the Switzer regime.

With Switzer still in the ranks and the Aikman Attack rolling up and down the field, I doubt we recruit Steve Collins, which means no team mutiny under Gibbs. We play Gundy as a freshman and don't miss a beat. That kid Gaddis turns into a stud, the Texas/Colorado curse never materializes. Nebraska football remains crouched in a fetal position. The Iowa State QB draw never happens because Switzer would've killed Gibbs for ditching the 5-2 and neglecting to put a spy on that damn gimpy QB.

AND, with a talent zenith from '90-93, I'm here to say Switzer had a legitimate shot at another national title before he retires somewhere around '95.

If only Aikman's ankle hadn't caught the turf...........

Sorry that was so long. Thank you for your time.

StoopTroup
9/24/2009, 12:43 PM
EGADS ! ! !

http://www.boxtalent.com/images/AlEschbach.jpg

beer4me
9/24/2009, 12:45 PM
EGADS ! ! !

http://www.boxtalent.com/images/AlEschbach.jpg

I believe he is a crack.

I install winshield wipers on the frames of the side judge against Texas in 1984?

soonerboy_odanorth
9/24/2009, 12:50 PM
"If only Aikman's ankle hadn't caught the turf..........."

.......... after getting yanked, wrenched, and rolled by that dirty SOB Brown.

Heck, I'm still surprised he didn't just jump up and down on it.

yermom
9/24/2009, 12:50 PM
in '84 all we need is to beat Washington in the OB, right?

i'm thinking JW not overthrowing Kejuan or hitting Clayton in the chest instead of him trapping it in the endzone

maybe i'm just partial because i was there for that one and from where i was sitting i thought it was a TD at first :(

Sooner04
9/24/2009, 12:57 PM
in '84 all we need is to beat Washington in the OB, right?
Maybe. We were #2 and BYU had already done what five other teams had done that season: beat Michigan. Maybe we get the sympathy of the vote, maybe we don't. Damn Schooner.

That Sugar Bowl was definitely a tough one. Kejuan was so wide open and LSU was completely gassed. We could've scored all day on their "D" if we get that thing to overtime. Oh well. White was really banged up going into that game. Casts on both his foot and hand.

yermom
9/24/2009, 12:59 PM
way to open old wounds 04 :mad:

1890MilesToNorman
9/24/2009, 01:06 PM
Even H.G Wells didn't know how the past would influence the future so I don't think we should try either!

BornandBred
9/24/2009, 01:16 PM
I'd whisper sweetly into BV's ear, "Hook and ladder. Three men on the goal line." BSU would never have happened.

I only say this cause he couldn't hear me yelling it through the TV at the time.

My Opinion Matters
9/24/2009, 01:25 PM
Six words: That's a live ball, Mark Bradley!

Mississippi Sooner
9/24/2009, 01:30 PM
I'd go back to 1995, and when Howard Schnellenberger started talking about how we could forget all the Sooner tradition because they would be writing books and making movies about his Sooners, I'd run him all the way back to Kentucky.

StoopTroup
9/24/2009, 01:31 PM
I'd make Dean a better mailman so he could stop terrorist type letters into Norman.

"Dear Joe...

Thank you for your interest in Jerry World. Please feel free to meet with me in Arlington and we'll ink that deal.

Talk to you soon...

Sincerely,

JJ"

Mississippi Sooner
9/24/2009, 01:38 PM
OK, I just noticed that when you type the name of a certain former coach who only lasted one year in Norman, it changes his last name to "that old drunk."

Classic :D

StoopTroup
9/24/2009, 01:41 PM
OK, I just noticed that when you type the name of a certain former coach who only lasted one year in Norman, it changes his last name to "that old drunk."

Classic :D

Put that in yer pipe and smoke it.

http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/nsu/lowres/nsun297l.jpg

tommieharris91
9/24/2009, 01:42 PM
I'd tell Kevin Wilson to try an FG with :10 left in the 1st half of last year's BCSCG.

Denton_Sooner
9/24/2009, 01:48 PM
Black 41 Flash Reverse...

NormanPride
9/24/2009, 01:54 PM
I'd untie the shoelaces on Iowa's kicker last year when he was attempting the winning FG against Penn State. Penn State wins that game, wins out, and arrives in the Orange Bowl only to get utterly annihilated by us after we jump everyone in the polls by beating Mizzou in the Big 12 CCG.

Then, Bradford, McCoy, Gresham, and Williams go pro and we don't potentially jeopardize two great kids' pro careers because we couldn't seal the deal against Flawda.

yermom
9/24/2009, 01:59 PM
there's almost no way the winner of Florida/Alabama last year doesn't go to Miami

Sooner04
9/24/2009, 01:59 PM
I'd untie the shoelaces on Iowa's kicker last year when he was attempting the winning FG against Penn State. Penn State wins that game, wins out, and arrives in the Orange Bowl only to get utterly annihilated by us after we jump everyone in the polls by beating Mizzou in the Big 12 CCG.

Then, Bradford, McCoy, Gresham, and Williams go pro and we don't potentially jeopardize two great kids' pro careers because we couldn't seal the deal against Flawda.
Hmmm. You think we stay in the top two after Florida beats undefeated Alabamuh? I doubt it. Florida's got God on their side.

And you, sir, are already on probation for not picking a play from OU football's history. A blatant altering of the rules!

picasso
9/24/2009, 02:48 PM
Six words: That's a live ball, Mark Bradley!

This would not have mattered.

Roy jumped plenty high enough in 2001, he just lept too early.

I'd say Billy's knee down at Nebbish.

Jamelle is tempting but we still got stymied by Miami with him in '86. I'm not sure we beat the Canes with him in the Orange Bowl. Tough call because he could throw a forward pass.

Who's to say if Roy had gotten that ball against oSu in '01. I certainly think we would have beaten Colorado in the conference championship.

picasso
9/24/2009, 02:50 PM

How about Sam get's out of the way of that fumble at Tech in '07. We win that game and end up thumping Ohio State in the BCS championship.:)

Painful.

This is why folks like the oSu types don't realistically understand how difficult it is to get to the title match.

BoulderSooner79
9/24/2009, 02:52 PM
i'm thinking JW not overthrowing Kejuan or hitting Clayton in the chest instead of him trapping it in the endzone

If you talk about single plays with the most impact - this is the one in the BCS era. If JW remembers that Kejuan is only 5'6", it's a tie game. No guarantee we win, but everything was going our way at the time and LSU was just hanging on and praying for the clock to hurry up.

In the pre-BCS period, it's the fumble on the NU 2 in '78. We score, we win and we're better than anyone we might meet in a bowl that year.

And whoever mentioned Mark Bradley? Really? You'd waste a trip in a time machine so we can get thumped by a couple less TDs? Wouldn't make me feel any better.

yermom
9/24/2009, 02:54 PM
yeah, the fumble by the Heisman winner in '78 is pretty heartbreaking too

SoonerAtKU
9/24/2009, 03:02 PM
Bradford not getting hurt against Tech in 07 is a pretty darn good one. That team ended up underperforming in the bowl game, but I don't think we have half of the distractions or laziness if that's the championship game instead of a consolation.

NormanPride
9/24/2009, 03:07 PM
Hmmm. You think we stay in the top two after Florida beats undefeated Alabamuh? I doubt it. Florida's got God on their side.

And you, sir, are already on probation for not picking a play from OU football's history. A blatant altering of the rules!

Yeah, I do. Especially with the hype our O was getting. ONE of the OU/UT duo had to make it in because that was the big news. Florida wasn't really in the spotlight because they lost at home to a mediocre team. Our momentum from beating Mizzou and breaking that 60 point games in a row record would have pushed us past them.

And fair enough on the rules. I will amend my answer and make the opening kickoff of last year's Big 12 CCG go too deep into the endzone for anyone to return it. We keep DeMarco, and I'm convinced we win this last MNC.

Sirus
9/24/2009, 03:13 PM
The word egads is not, nor will it ever be in my vocab.

StoopTroup
9/24/2009, 03:15 PM
Vocab...

Is that how all the cool kids say it now?

Sooner04
9/24/2009, 03:17 PM
I had a curmudgeonly professor at OU named Dr. Savage. He taught Oklahoma History. The subject of this topic is the exact wording of the first two sentences to our final.

NP, interesting theory about DeMarco not getting hurt. But do you think his presence matters in the Orange Bowl when you consider all our troubles happened down around the goal line? That was Chris Brown territory.

StoopTroup
9/24/2009, 03:22 PM
One of my old Bosses had a Master's Degree in Finance from Princeton I think it was....he would pour over our reports and make us edit them 5-10 times...sometimes even changing stuff he asked for us to put into them.

We worked on the 5th floor of this building back then and we all decided that it would be wrong to duct tape him to his chair and throw him out the window.

RIP Jack!

ST

goingoneight
9/24/2009, 03:36 PM
I'd slap some super aheaive on Manny Johnson and Juaqin Iglesias's hands before kickoff of last year's MNC.

... or dip Jordan Shipley's gloves in butter. :D

beer4me
9/24/2009, 03:43 PM
Vocab...

Is that how all the cool kids say it now?

naw he just can't spell it:D

C&CDean
9/24/2009, 03:49 PM

But I'll bet "waddup dog?" and "muh****ah" are.

SbOrOiNaEnR
9/24/2009, 03:52 PM
I had a curmudgeonly professor at OU named Dr. Savage. He taught Oklahoma History. The subject of this topic is the exact wording of the first two sentences to our final.

His son ran the OU paper while I was there. He really is his father's boy. It's hard to imagine a 22-year-old being "curmudgeonly," but this guy pulled it off in spades. Supposedly there's an unspoken rule around The Oklahoman that he's banned from the premises because of an editorial he wrote for the Daily.

Collier11
9/24/2009, 03:52 PM
Who's to say if Roy had gotten that ball against oSu in '01. I certainly think we would have beaten Colorado in the conference championship.

and then promptly been beaten by Miami

Collier11
9/24/2009, 03:53 PM

NP, interesting theory about DeMarco not getting hurt. But do you think his presence matters in the Orange Bowl when you consider all our troubles happened down around the goal line? That was Chris Brown territory.

I do, because on those runs where CB was getting 10-15 a pop DM might have been walking into the EZ

yermom
9/24/2009, 04:09 PM
and then promptly been beaten by Miami

:(

Oldnslo
9/24/2009, 04:24 PM
I've always thought that if we had run the ball at the end of the game against an obviously gassed LSU defense we'd have won the game.

And if we had won that game, we wouldn't have come in to the next year's NC game all tight and psyched out.

Yes, I'm saying that Chuck cost us 2 NCs.

Collier11
9/24/2009, 04:38 PM
well you can look at it two ways, had we kept running they were so worn down we likely score but also realize that two of the plays that Chuck called were near misses. Kejuan was wide open and it shoulda been a TD, Clayton almost caught that tipped pass as well

BoulderSooner79
9/24/2009, 04:45 PM
Yep, I'm sure if JW could have any play back, it would be the one to Kejuan. It was obvious the coaches had that one play in their back pocket based on watching LSU film and were waiting for the perfect situation to use it. Argh.

Sooner24
9/25/2009, 07:50 AM
I would have slipped Ex-Lax in the Kansas Jayhawks Gatoraid against Duke in 1988 so that we played the Blue Devils in the finals..................oh wait this is a football Quantum Leap dealio isn't it? :O

;)

Sooner24
9/25/2009, 07:51 AM
On the football side I would have had Billy go down at the five in 1978.

stoopified
9/25/2009, 05:35 PM
I w2ould have named Merv Johnson headcoach over Gibbs.Barring that I would hire Bob Stoops in 1996.

stoopified
9/25/2009, 06:08 PM
Correction,make that 1995,I would dearly love to skip the YEAR OF THE DRUNK.

BoulderSooner79
9/25/2009, 06:58 PM
I look at it philosophically - we needed Gibbs, Shnelly and Blake at just the times we had them in order to have an opening when Stoops was available. We could have had a 7-4/8-3 kinda coach who kept earning just-one-more-year-I-promise while Bob was swept away to some other school. You don't mess with the temporal prime directive. (okay, they did it on star trek a lot, but that was just *fiction* :) )

GKeeper316
9/25/2009, 07:16 PM
oregon 06... kept us out of the mnc.

WA. Sooner
9/25/2009, 09:03 PM
Beat lou in the orange bowl