PDA

View Full Version : Seems Like great news to me

olevetonahill
9/24/2009, 11:24 AM
While I figure Most of us are in the Lowest risk categories .
This is great news IMHO
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090924/ap_on_re_as/med_aids_vaccine

StoopTroup
9/24/2009, 12:08 PM
Just saw a report on TV too. If this helps bring the spread of HIV to a slow crawl throughout the World...this is better than great news. It's huge news. No doubt Vet.

Here's hoping they are onto something.

1890MilesToNorman
9/24/2009, 12:11 PM
Stillwater should be happy!

Bourbon St Sooner
9/24/2009, 12:50 PM
While I figure Most of us are in the Lowest risk categories .

You know there are some horns on this board.

StoopTroup
9/24/2009, 01:22 PM
http://www.justbynature.com/images/containers/LidAntGold2.jpg

Boomer_Sooner_sax
9/24/2009, 01:39 PM
Stillwater should be happy!

So should Lubbock!

tidalmouse
9/24/2009, 01:42 PM
That looks like a High Risk Stoop. :D

Chuck Bao
9/24/2009, 04:03 PM
I don’t know. It appears like it is good news. A 31% lower transmission rate seems like not a complete success as a vaccine. Still, it is probably a very important step forward in our understanding of viruses and how triggering our immune system’s multiple weapons could be the best defense. If this therapy and preventive regime saves lives, then it is worth the +$100mn spent.

I have been following these test vaccine trials in Thailand. It has raised hopes and dashed hopes, repeatedly. It is good to see some positive results.

That article mentioned that two million people died of AIDS in 2007. That is far too many people, in my opinion. And, it shouldn’t matter who you are or where you’ve been.

We are a little more than three months until 2010. Back in the late 80s and early 90s, I used to pray to God that we’d get this thing figured out by 2000, 2005, 2010 and I’d live to see the day. I guess that I live to see the day, but the day isn’t as bright as I would have liked.

Let’s keep working on it.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/24/2009, 04:11 PM
That article mentioned that two million people died of AIDS in 2007. That is far too many people, in my opinion.

In your opinion, as in two million people are too many people to die in a year's span, or in your opinion as if there was something that could've been done to prevent entirely or reduce the 2 million dead?

Chuck Bao
9/24/2009, 04:52 PM
In your opinion, as in two million people are too many people to die in a year's span, or in your opinion as if there was something that could've been done to prevent entirely or reduce the 2 million dead?

Can I choose both?

One of my friends was one of that 2 million statistic and his death haunts me to this day. The AIDS related deaths are a pretty good implication against our health care system in that the rich survive and the poor get the brush off.

Let me as you a question, Tulsa Fireman. If your daughter were dying from AIDS complications from a blood transfussion, would you be willing to lie, steal and cheat so that she can live? Of course, you would.

Health care is so far into who we are. AIDS was a pretty big first step in our realizing that there are some pretty important and effective drugs out there.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/24/2009, 05:21 PM
Can I choose both?

You sure can. It was a question to get clarification on your opinion, nothing more.

One of my friends was one of that 2 million statistic and his death haunts me to this day. The AIDS related deaths are a pretty good implication against our health care system in that the rich survive and the poor get the brush off.

Let me as you a question, Tulsa Fireman. If your daughter were dying from AIDS complications from a blood transfussion, would you be willing to lie, steal and cheat so that she can live? Of course, you would.

Health care is so far into who we are. AIDS was a pretty big first step in our realizing that there are some pretty important and effective drugs out there.

Why does it have to be from a blood transfusion? Is there a difference in the disease from transmission method? Are you trying to prove a point outside of science taking an amazing step of progress against a deadly disease? The inclusion of "health care debate" into the argument would say that you are.

As Vet said, it is great news of progress. And I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. I personally try not to politicize death because it comes for us all, regardless of its face. It is the suffering we can proactively address and attack, hence why this is great news NOT just for those suffering in the United States, but for those around the world whose very existence, whose simple efforts in procreation are in and of themselves a death sentence.

landrun
9/24/2009, 07:21 PM
So how long before this vaccine gets to Africa? They need it there asap.

Condescending Sooner
9/25/2009, 09:29 AM
Most AIDS cases could be easily prevented, just sayin.

MrJimBeam
9/25/2009, 10:34 AM
Most AIDS cases could be easily prevented, just sayin.

:les: Stop pASsing JUdmint on Uhthers!!!!!