PDA

View Full Version : Let's Address a Dark Period From Our Past

Sooner04
9/24/2009, 10:12 AM
I know nothing about its origins. I don't know where it came from or why it appeared. All I know is that I hated it and I wanted it gone. As often as I gripe about Ca$tiglione and his money grubbing fingers, he wasted little time in removing what was as rancid a stain as any I could imagine on the greatness of our University.

I'm of course talking about this:

http://www.cs.ou.edu/~atiq/pics/ou-logo-large1.gif

Who in their right mind authorized such a hideous beast? And for years it seeped its way into our subconsiousness. You'd find it here and there on different uniforms, stationary and fields. It even made its way onto the turf and grass of Owen Field. Thank God the football team held true to their helmet stickers. Thank God the paperclip remained.

But then Ca$tiglione said no more, and it was gone. But who was responsible in the first place? Whoever they were, I hope they were long ago taken out back and shot.

Gresho Murford
9/24/2009, 10:14 AM
I like it

Jello Biafra
9/24/2009, 10:14 AM
I know nothing about its origins. I don't know where it came from or why it appeared. All I know is that I hated it and I wanted it gone. As often as I gripe about Ca$tiglione and his money grubbing fingers, he wasted little time in removing what was as rancid a stain as any I could imagine on the greatness of our University.

Who in their right mind authorized such a hideous beast? And for years it seeped its way into our subconsiousness. You'd find it here and there on different uniforms, stationary and fields. It even made its way onto the turf and grass of Owen Field. Thank God the football team held true to their helmet stickers. Thank God the paperclip remained.

But then Ca$tiglione said no more, and it was gone. But who was responsible in the first place? Whoever they were, I hope they were long ago taken out back and shot.

agreed. i have always hated that logo. i think it came in around the mid 80s.

the only thing worse than that logo is the current flaming backwards slanting osu logo thing.

cheezyq
9/24/2009, 10:23 AM
I agree. Was never a fan of it...very 80s in its style. See it on older hats all the time. It was even in the movie Twister. Just not cool.

sooneron
9/24/2009, 10:30 AM
I'm pretty sure it was late 70's.

OklahomaTuba
9/24/2009, 10:31 AM
Blame two people for it, Donny Duncan and The King. The King was a big fan of it. And I believe that he almost had the helmets changed to that logo in 1984 or so.

sooneron
9/24/2009, 10:32 AM
And my guess would be, Banowsky.

Boomer.....
9/24/2009, 10:35 AM
Not much worse than that logo on the old silk-like jackets.

Crucifax Autumn
That one was in use from 1982 - 1995. It seems to have replaced http://www.sportslogos.net/images/logos/33/793/thumbs/kkdfeobkcyyg6l3vbr3x.gif as a secondary logo. That one was in use from 1967 - 1981.

Luckily, from '77 to present the helmet logo has not changed one bit.

On a similar note I don't like the 1996-present Schooner logo that is a full color version that replaced the all Crimson version that had been used since '67.

Edit:

Actually, from what I can tell, this is the one that popped up in '82. The other abomination is the 67-81 version.

http://www.sportslogos.net/images/logos/33/793/thumbs/2556.gif

badger
Much like the DeLorean, I'm sure it was stylish back when it was introduced, but today, it doesn't compare to the awesomeness of the current logo.

SeattleOUstudent
9/24/2009, 10:40 AM

I dunno, man. That logo sure does look FAST!

Crucifax Autumn
9/24/2009, 10:41 AM
Is that why we can't keep up with the SEC?

OUMallen
9/24/2009, 10:42 AM
agreed. i have always hated that logo. i think it came in around the mid 80s.

the only thing worse than that logo is the current flaming backwards slanting osu logo thing.

http://images.footballfanatics.com/productImages/_105000/FF_105037_l.jpg

Crucifax Autumn
9/24/2009, 10:47 AM
Posting that ugly thing is a bannable offense at the Hideout! lol

Sooner04
9/24/2009, 10:53 AM
That one was in use from 1982 - 1995. It seems to have replaced http://www.sportslogos.net/images/logos/33/793/thumbs/kkdfeobkcyyg6l3vbr3x.gif as a secondary logo. That one was in use from 1967 - 1981.

On a similar note I don't like the 1996-present Schooner logo that is a full color version that replaced the all Crimson version that had been used since '67.

Edit:

Actually, from what I can tell, this is the one that popped up in '82. The other abomination is the 67-81 version.

0 for 2. You'll probably have to save those images to photobucket or something to be able to link them here.

CrimsonJim
9/24/2009, 11:03 AM
It's just as well they didn't make it, '04. They were even more hideous than the one you started the OP with.

CrimsonJim
9/24/2009, 11:04 AM
Posting that ugly thing is a bannable offense at the Hideout! lol

Not to mention, sacrilege! :eek:

soonerspudman
9/24/2009, 11:05 AM

Edit:

The current helmet logo has been around since the mid 60's, did it get tweaked in 77?

Octavian
9/24/2009, 11:17 AM
I think he meant '67 on the helmets....the '66 helmets helmets had rounded initials IIRC

As for the awful and officially extinct slanted logo -- for whatever reason I always thought it was much more acceptable in basketball but not football. If King or Mookie or Jackie Jones had it on a pair of gym shorts, it seemed fine. In the end zones at Owen Field? Terrible.

It also didn't look nearly as sharp on merchandise --hats, T's, whatever --the paperclip looks much more traditional and strong. Having only the paperclip also lets us market a consistent logo. I was thrilled when JoeC had taken out back and shot.

Pricetag
9/24/2009, 12:14 PM
I found an old notebook from high school awhile back, and judging by the doodles in the margins, I was all about that disco OU logo.

I saw a guy from high school a few years back at a tailgate, and noticed he had a disco OU tatoo. Oh, snap.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
9/24/2009, 12:52 PM
I think it is better than this one:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j33/brianpou1/2556-s.gif

Sooner04
9/24/2009, 12:55 PM

Barf! That thing is diarrhea compounded by the gout. All my old "Starter" gear had that logo on it. You couldn't buy anything else back then.

Thank God for Nike.

Petro-Sooner
9/24/2009, 01:00 PM
I'm surprised that logo hasnt been removed from the front of the Switzer Center.

Or maybe it has. Havnt been by there in a while.

ouwapiti
9/24/2009, 01:14 PM
this has been asked before on here but i never saw it answered......from old clips the OU logo seemed a bit higher on the helmet than now......true or just my imagination ???

OULenexaman
9/24/2009, 01:21 PM
I think picasso drew it in his early years....

Boomer_Sooner_sax
9/24/2009, 01:28 PM
Barf! That thing is diarrhea compounded by the gout. All my old "Starter" gear had that logo on it. You couldn't buy anything else back then.

Thank God for Nike.

I had/have a hot with that logo on it too. I think it was the primary logo when I was a freshman in 1998. I love, love, LOVE the new one they have now and pray they never change it. It is sharp, crisp, and classy. Simple and sweet.

OklahomaTuba
9/24/2009, 02:41 PM
The Bud didn't need no ****ing logo..
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_gqyHyqbR0yU/SFXZobLa_PI/AAAAAAAAAGc/7qNcFweB0VE/s320/bud%2Bwilkinson.jpg

bri
9/24/2009, 03:14 PM
They've never updated the parking signs around campus, so the accursed disco OU still endures. Feh.

StoopTroup
9/24/2009, 03:33 PM
I just hope I get something cool for Christmas.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c333/stooptroup/OU-Logo_Christmas.gif

Sooner04
9/24/2009, 03:37 PM
Um, ok.

C&CDean
9/24/2009, 03:46 PM
In addition to the metrosexual logo, I would also like to mention the elimination of fakey grass on the football field. Man I hated that turf.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
9/24/2009, 03:49 PM
In addition to the metrosexual logo, I would also like to mention the elimination of fakey grass on the football field. Man I hated that turf.

Dead on, and for that matter, how they paint the field with the green/natural end zones for non-conference and the red for conference. I hated the Mizzou diamonds rip off back in 1998 too! The way they are now are awesome.

SeattleOUstudent
9/24/2009, 04:20 PM
Dead on, and for that matter, how they paint the field with the green/natural end zones for non-conference and the red for conference. I hated the Mizzou diamonds rip off back in 1998 too! The way they are now are awesome.

I believe that was a throwback to the way the field looked back in the 40s-50s or something.

Mississippi Sooner
9/24/2009, 04:26 PM

However, it isn't easy to repair natural grass with duct tape.

C&CDean
9/24/2009, 04:30 PM
However, it isn't easy to repair natural grass with duct tape.

But the grass is much easier on Gundy's melon and the Schooner.

Mississippi Sooner
9/24/2009, 04:34 PM
But the grass is much easier on Gundy's melon and the Schooner.

That had to be one of the most embarrassing days in Sooner history.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
9/24/2009, 04:38 PM
I believe that was a throwback to the way the field looked back in the 40s-50s or something.

I didn't know that. I always thought is was like that because Joe C. came from Mizzou and that is the way it was up there. I only remember it being like that for a season or so, right after he got here.

Sooner04
9/24/2009, 04:45 PM
They did it one year to commemorate Steve Owens winning the Heisman.

I think.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
9/24/2009, 05:12 PM
They did it one year to commemorate Steve Owens winning the Heisman.

I think.

Ok, cool, that makes me feel better then! I always thought it was a Mizzou copycat, but that was 11 years ago and I tried to put that miserable year out of my memory.

MyT Oklahoma
9/24/2009, 06:58 PM
I've never liked it but it was the only OU banner available.. so I got it and I still fly it proudly every game day. Sacrifices have to be made.

OULenexaman
9/24/2009, 11:05 PM
the thing is......Waymon wore it.....so it couldn't be all that bad....but it was goofy......short lived and gone...

Crucifax Autumn
9/24/2009, 11:14 PM
For future references, broken pic links are easy as hell to view if you just right click the X and get the properties. I was half asleep when I posted those ugly things.

Sooner98
9/25/2009, 12:07 AM
Looks like the band used Disco OU as recently as 2000. Notice the tubas at 0:29 -

8yLMrzHBvYY

WA. Sooner
9/25/2009, 03:17 AM
That is the logo on my flag flying out in front of my house.
Feel free to send me a new one if you want

olevetonahill
9/25/2009, 03:25 AM
For future references, broken pic links are easy as hell to view if you just right click the X and get the properties. I was half asleep when I posted those ugly things.

But look out 04 will Neg ya :rolleyes:

Crucifax Autumn
9/25/2009, 04:02 AM
eh...I'll get negged either way! If I don't I'm doing something wrong.

StoopTroup
9/25/2009, 05:19 AM
That had to be one of the most embarrassing days in Sooner history.

I think there is a thread with breaking news you may not have seen then. :D

GottaHavePride
9/25/2009, 08:42 AM
Looks like the band used Disco OU as recently as 2000. Notice the tubas at 0:29 -

8yLMrzHBvYY

Yeah, the band bought brand new uniforms for the 1999 season, if I recall correctly. Shortly after that, the University officially killed the TurbOU logo, and the band had to buy uniforms again. That was around the same time the band retired the old red coats with the capes.

Man, I miss those red coats.

Pricetag
9/25/2009, 02:12 PM
We had the diamonds in 1996, and then in 1997 we had a cooler end zone that said Oklahoma Sooners, and I think it had a helmet. It was back to the diamonds for 1998. I can't see them and not think of crap football.

stoopified
9/25/2009, 05:55 PM
At least it ain't the gawd awful silver (Capel) or black(Galloway)like the basketball and baseball unis.

boomerinhou
9/25/2009, 08:56 PM
And my guess would be, Banowsky.

It was Banowsky who changed it. I was at OU in the late 70s when Senator Bill came to campus in 1978. He wanted to change the logo to reflect the change in OU leadership and direction. I HATED IT. Thank God that logo didn't make it to OU helmets and the logo on the field.

The rest of the time while I was at OU, I NEVER purchased ANYTHING that had the slanty OU on it. There were only a few things with the regular OU logo on it, but not much.

It was President Boren who restored the regular (and current) OU logo as the official logo for the University.

One thing Bill Banowsky did for the University was raise money. The clock tower was also built under his watch, but it really didn't match the Cherokee Gothic architecture.

For those of you who were on campus in the late 70s, Bill Banowsky is now 73 years old.

jkjsooner
9/26/2009, 03:09 PM

Absolutely. That one was the suck. I have to admit that I liked the slanted OU (in retrospect glad they changed to the traditional one and unified their logos) but I never, ever liked that one. It had the "I bought this shirt at Wal Mart" look and belonged on shirts with candy apple red colors.