PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma National championship race

primetime43
9/23/2009, 01:31 PM
http://accuscore.com/zach-rosenfield

Oklahoma in National Championship Race
College football fans don’t always understand how the BCS works, who to root for and if it is good or bad when a team that beats you loses later in the season. Oklahoma fans are making this mistake by openly rooting against Texas, thinking the BYU loss to Florida State mattered and giggling at Nebraska’s misfortune.

Here is what Oklahoma fans need to focus on and understand:

1) If you are bummed, worried or concerned about the BYU loss to Florida State, don't be. It does not effect the Sooners. OU's loss to BYU was what it was and from a national point of view, it was more about no Bradford and Gresham than it was about the poor play.

2) Washington beating USC has a monumental effect on OU. It basically eliminates that Pac 10. Next step for Sooner fans is to root against Cal. After seeing their game, Cal is good, but not great. They are also soft at wide receiver and have trouble defending the pass. As for USC...they are o-u-t out.

3) The Big 10 could not be working out any better for OU. The Sooners needed USC to put a loss on Ohio State's books and they did. Ohio State is the team most likely to give Penn State a loss. Now with Michigan playing so well and Penn State having to travel to Ann Arbor, the probability of Penn State losing a game is even greater than AccuScore had projected.

4) Miami is the big dark horse. Usually a team like Miami could really mess up OU’s long shot hopes to get in as a one-loss team, but Oklahoma hit the jackpot by having Miami on the schedule. If Miami beats Virginia Tech, Oklahoma finds themselves in a showcase game against a team that will have a lot of hype. Win or lose, Miami should finish with at least nine wins. That will count for a lot in the computer polls late in the season.

5) Take a look at the teams in front of OU and it shapes up perfectly. Take LSU, Florida, Miss, Alabama and remember only one team can make it to the BCS title game. So eliminate three teams. OU will be ranked behind Miami and Texas, but gets to play them, so for sake of this argument eliminate two more. Also eliminate Boise State because of strength of schedule. That is the stuff OU had control over either directly or indirectly.

The variables to worry about are now Cal and Penn State.

5a) What if Ohio State wins out? They will not have enough in the computer polls. Let’s just say for argument sake both teams win out. Both teams will probably be a carbon copy of each other in the human polls with little to no separation. The gap between a one loss Ohio State and Oklahoma would be extremely small.

*Quick note on how the human polls work. Ranking does not matter. It is those points you see in the parenthesis that matter.It is all about the "points" you have. Those points are then converted into a percentage against the total points in the rankings pool.

Example: Texas is #2 in the Coaches Poll (1412) and Alabama is #3 (1355). While the gap between 2 and 3 is huge because it means in vs. out, when you convert those numbers into a percentage against the total points available...they are separated by just tenths of a percentage. This effectively neutralizes the rankings and puts a huge emphasis on the computers (despite them only counting for 1/3 for the formula).

6) For OU to win out, they will have to beat Miami, Texas, Texas Tech, Kansas, Oklahoma State and Nebraska twice. All those teams will be ranked when OU plays them and will most likely finish the season ranked. Moreover, it is looks like Tulsa will play for a Conference USA Championship and blanking that offense will account for a lot.

7) Get conference pride. It is fine to hate Texas and not think much of Oklahoma State. But you need those teams to be good, specifically Texas. If you want to go to Pasadena, root for the media to treat Texas like idols and to put them on the pedestal because if OU beats them and has an identical record.... BYU, TUL, MIA > WYO, ULM, UTEP, UCF.

There is a lot of football left everybody, but as of today Big 12 vs. SEC is the strongest probability for the BCS title game. Cal and Penn State are the flies in the ointment. Root for USC to beat Cal to just get Cal out of the way. And Cal goes to Oregon who is showing signs of life.

Long way to go but this article makes me feel good about OUr chances.

cheezyq
9/23/2009, 01:54 PM
I felt pretty good about our chances before. My only worry was Penn State, as they play in the Little 11, and showed that they could get pretty close last year. I don't think the loss to BYU hurts us as much in the human polls because everyone knows Bradford and Gresham got hurt. I still felt our destiny was in our hands. I'm still a little peeved that knowing the above, USC was still placed ahead of us for losing to UW, but that will all work itself out in the end, as I've said since before the season began that USC will have at least 2 and probably 3 losses.

Partial Qualifier
9/23/2009, 01:58 PM

this article makes me feel good

It does me too. :D

I figured if we win out we'll be close, but he's got some good points that - if everything pans out - indicate we'd be in the MNC game.

JLEW1818
9/23/2009, 01:59 PM
great thread!

cjames317
9/23/2009, 01:59 PM

Long way to go but this article makes me feel good about OUr changes.

... and about the size of the cojones of Castiglione and Stoops to schedule this quality of opponents year after year, unlike the Austin steers.

tigepilot
9/23/2009, 02:01 PM
1) Disagree that it didn't matter. OU needed BYU to lose at least once. It's one thing for a one loss BCS team to get the nod over an undefeated non-BCS team. It's entirely another when that one loss was to that very non-BCS team. You thought the OU-Texas controversy of last year was big?

2) USC needed to lose but I don't think they're out. They are the perennial media darlings and their loss will be viewed similar to OU's loss with respect to injuries. Also their's was a true road game. Would be nice if they lost one more time.

3) All that matters is everyone in the Big Eleven have at least one loss. USC beating Ohio State helps that along, particularly if Ohio State can deliver the loss to everyone else.

4) Agreed.

5) Agreed.

5a) Agreed. See the first sentence of #3.

6) That help will a lot.

7) I see your point but I can't cheer for teams with orange. Maybe just watch another game.

Definitely need Cal and Penn State to find losses. Maybe even USC but I know if OU wins out they will be way ahead of USC in the computers anyway... just a precaution against ESPiN influenced voters.

SoonerLB
9/23/2009, 02:04 PM
Gotta admire sound reasoning, good jorb! :D

JLEW1818
9/23/2009, 02:05 PM
USC is done

lost to a team that won ZERO games last year

sure they only have 1 loss. and i think every team in the league will have 1 loss... but usc 1 loss is a horrible loss compared to the other 1 loss teams by seasons end

usc is done

Pete has lost to Stanford, Oregon St, and now Washington

horrible

Blitzkrieg
9/23/2009, 02:09 PM
USC is taking a pounding this week the likes of which we have not seen the past few years. They are toast, milktoast even. We beat Texas, we are in.

I think we are looking at OU/TX versus Bama. I know I'll smoke a turd in h3ll for blasphemy against Tebow and Fla, but Bama looks better this year and I think Percy Harvin will be very missed against good D-lines like bama has.

JLEW1818
9/23/2009, 02:16 PM
even if Cal does beat Oregon and USC... I still think they will choke...... Penn st will lose a game too

we see this every year from a different team... It's so hard to go undefeated in college football

SunnySooner
9/23/2009, 02:28 PM
I think the USC-is-out part is based on their SOS. Or rather the lack thereof. Even if they win out, it won't pull them up enough in the computer rankings for the polls to make up the difference. If we win out, and Cal and Penn State lose, we're in and Mack can fly banners from Austin to Bora Bora and it won't mean squat. Now we just gotta do it. Boomer!

bent rider
9/23/2009, 02:29 PM
1) Disagree that it didn't matter. OU needed BYU to lose at least once. It's one thing for a one loss BCS team to get the nod over an undefeated non-BCS team. It's entirely another when that one loss was to that very non-BCS team. You thought the OU-Texas controversy of last year was big?

byu will probably also lose to one or both of TCU and Utah.

primetime43
9/23/2009, 02:32 PM
Big week in college football next week. USC/Cal...LSU/Georgia and of course OU/The U

Also Penn St. is at Illinois which should be a decent game if Juice Williams is healthy.

My Opinion Matters
9/23/2009, 02:37 PM
Threads like these are fun, but there's still a loooooooooooot of football to be played.

Sooner-N-KS
9/23/2009, 02:44 PM
1) If you are bummed, worried or concerned about the BYU loss to Florida State, don't be. It does not effect the Sooners. OU's loss to BYU was what it was and from a national point of view, it was more about no Bradford and Gresham than it was about the poor play.

It's silly for them to say it doesn't effect OU. OU was #3 in the rankings before the loss. Without a loss there would be no need for all of the other points they talked about.

I do agree that all hope is not lost, but it's a tougher road with one loss than none.

primetime43
9/23/2009, 02:46 PM
Threads like these are fun, but there's still a loooooooooooot of football to be played.

What else is there to do especially during a bye week?:D

tigepilot
9/23/2009, 02:47 PM
It's silly for them to say it doesn't effect OU. OU was #3 in the rankings before the loss. Without a loss there would be no need for all of the other points they talked about.

I do agree that all hope is not lost, but it's a tougher road with one loss than none.

Missed

The

Point!

Blitzkrieg
9/23/2009, 02:50 PM
Another big game is thurs nite with Ole Sis and the cocks! Hopefully Spurrier does us a big favor.

BoulderSooner79
9/23/2009, 02:51 PM

^zackly. The odds of OU finishing with 1 loss took a huge hit with Gresham, Bradford and of course, already getting tagged with the 'L'. Pull for who you want to in any games since it don't mean squat in the outcome :). I happen to have a soft spot in my heart for JoePa and I want anyone but 'SC to win the pac10 - even if it's Cal.

primetime43
9/23/2009, 02:59 PM
Another big game is thrus nite with Ole Sis and the cocks! Hopefully Spurrier does us a big favor.

Wouldn't be shocked at all if the Cocks won especially since its in Carolina.

jumperstop
9/23/2009, 04:15 PM
this thread is bad joo joo...

OUAlumni1990
9/23/2009, 08:26 PM
Even if Cal beats USC I don't believe they will go undefeated. Something makes me feel better about USC having 2 losses. Remember the AP poll doesn't count, and USC is right behind us in the coaches poll. But then the ccg will help us over USC.

BoulderSooner79
9/23/2009, 08:35 PM
Even if Cal beats USC I don't believe they will go undefeated. Something makes me feel better about USC having 2 losses. Remember the AP poll doesn't count, and USC is right behind us in the coaches poll. But then the ccg will help us over USC.

Even if we are completely out of the NC race, I feel better if USC has 2 losses (or 3, or 4, or ....).

Curly Bill
9/23/2009, 10:23 PM
This thread would make a lot more sense if we had beaten a real football team at some point in this young season.

Tulsa and Potato State, meh...

westcoast_sooner
9/24/2009, 12:37 AM
Love the article - basically says what we all thought (at least anyone who is optimistic about Sooner Football thought) win out and we're in the conversation.

There is a lot of football to be played, but the article lays out in a very logical way how the Sooners get back to the Mountain Top - and get number 8.

prrriiide
9/24/2009, 12:52 AM
Sooooo...

What happens if OU and texass are the only 2 1-loss teams at the end of the season?

http://www.theinnerwebs.com/images/smilies/drama.gif

JLEW1818
9/24/2009, 12:55 AM
I really think Alabama is the real deal

Their qb Greg McElroy is the real deal.. John Parker Wilson sucked

Crucifax Autumn
9/24/2009, 03:22 AM
Sooooo...

What happens if OU and texass are the only 2 1-loss teams at the end of the season?

http://www.theinnerwebs.com/images/smilies/drama.gif

The funniest thing that could happen is if we get in and Texas is left out when a 2 loss team with a better SOS slides in by a few 100ths of a point.

SanJoaquinSooner
9/24/2009, 08:00 AM
My biggest worries are not Penn State and Cal, but Miami, Texas, Kansas, TT, Ok State, and Nebraska.

TexasLidig8r
9/24/2009, 08:08 AM
This thread would make a lot more sense if we had beaten a real football team at some point in this young season.

Tulsa and Potato State, meh...

What type of world do we live in where I actually agree with a post from Curly Bill.

How easily an offensive line in disarray and a razor thin linebacker corp is forgotten.

w0lfe
9/24/2009, 08:09 AM
It's unreal how much college football can change in 20 days. First OU is NC contendor blah blah blah, we lose and the season is done, its over. Two weeks after that, we are right back in it. I love it

primetime43
9/24/2009, 08:31 AM
It's unreal how much college football can change in 20 days. First OU is NC contendor blah blah blah, we lose and the season is done, its over. Two weeks after that, we are right back in it. I love it

If your gonna lose... lose early

SouthFortySooner
9/24/2009, 09:46 AM
Perception of the loss of Bradford and Greshem accounting for our loss in Dallas? It will only be a perception. The Sooners were sloppy turrible. ugh.

Crucifax Autumn
9/24/2009, 09:58 AM
How easily an offensive line in disarray and a razor thin linebacker corp is forgotten.

Now see? If you hadn't pushed it I would have agreed about the O-line, but nothing in that game can be blamed on the linebackers or really on the defense at all other than the final drive that wouldn't have mattered if the offensive line would have played better and the receivers would have caught the damned ball.

So once more, Lid fails by blowing **** out of proportion. :rolleyes:

TexasLidig8r
9/24/2009, 10:31 AM
Now see? If you hadn't pushed it I would have agreed about the O-line, but nothing in that game can be blamed on the linebackers or really on the defense at all other than the final drive that wouldn't have mattered if the offensive line would have played better and the receivers would have caught the damned ball.

So once more, Lid fails by blowing **** out of proportion. :rolleyes:

You missed the point.

I wasn't pointing to the linebacker corp as a reason for your loss. Was simply noting that, although the starters are very good (even with Reynolds' loss of some speed), with injuries and Balogun's situation, you are razor thin at the position....

If another injury occurs, or when you run into a team that spreads the field or runs a high tempo offense, the lack of depth could be a huge issue... as well as still being suceptible to the seam routes and crossing patterns.

as for the defense in the BYU game... Hall throwing for over 300 yards is an issue... Your DL, especially McCoy is salty, but the safeties though...

tigepilot
9/24/2009, 10:34 AM
I think the point of the OP was not that OU was on it's way to winning out. The point was that if they did, they'd likely be in the NC game. Nothing wrong with speculation by fans.

Half a Hundred
9/24/2009, 10:36 AM
Just win baby. Let the cards fall where they may

Crucifax Autumn
9/24/2009, 10:46 AM
You missed the point.

I wasn't pointing to the linebacker corp as a reason for your loss. Was simply noting that, although the starters are very good (even with Reynolds' loss of some speed), with injuries and Balogun's situation, you are razor thin at the position....

If another injury occurs, or when you run into a team that spreads the field or runs a high tempo offense, the lack of depth could be a huge issue... as well as still being suceptible to the seam routes and crossing patterns.

as for the defense in the BYU game... Hall throwing for over 300 yards is an issue... Your DL, especially McCoy is salty, but the safeties though...

Lucky for us then that your QB rarely throws the ball farther than 5 yards. :P