PDA

View Full Version : DISSENT

I Am Right
9/23/2009, 10:03 AM
Advertisement

Strangers to Dissent, Liberals Try to Stifle It
A Commentary By Michael Barone
Monday, September 21, 2009 Email to a Friend ShareThisAdvertisement
It is an interesting phenomenon that the response of the left half of our political spectrum to criticism and argument is often to try to shut it down. Thus President Obama in his Sept. 9 speech to a joint session of Congress told us to stop "bickering," as if principled objections to major changes in public policy were just childish obstinacy, and chastised his critics for telling "lies," employing "scare tactics" and playing "games." Unlike his predecessor, he sought to use the prestige of his office to shut criticism down.

Now, no one likes criticism very much, and most politicians would prefer to have their colleagues and constituents meekly and gratefully agree with them on pretty much everything. And yes, Rep. Joe Wilson did seem to have broken the rules and standards of decorum of the House (though not of the British House of Commons) when he shouted, "You lie!" in the middle of Obama's speech.

But none of this justifies the charges, passed off as cool-headed analysis, that Obama's critics are motivated by racism. There are plenty of non-racist reasons to oppose (or to support) the Democrats' health care proposals.

I would submit that the president's call for an end to "bickering" and the charges of racism by some of his supporters are the natural reflex of people who are not used to hearing people disagree with them and who are determined to shut them up.

This comes naturally to liberals educated in our great colleges and universities, so many of which have speech codes whose primary aim is to prevent the expression of certain conservative ideas and which are commonly deployed for that purpose. (For examples, see the Website of the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education, which defends students of all political stripes.) Once the haven of free inquiry and expression, academia has become a swamp of stifling political correctness.

Similarly, the "mainstream media" -- the old-line broadcast networks, The New York Times, etc. -- present a politically correct picture of the world. The result is that liberals can live in a cocoon, an America in which seldom is heard a discouraging word. Conservatives, in contrast, find themselves constantly pummeled with liberal criticism, on campus, in news media, and in Hollywood TV and movies. They don't like it, but they've gotten used to it. Liberals aren't used to it and increasingly try to stamp it out.

"Mainstream media" try to help. In the past few weeks, we have seen textbook examples of how MSM have ignored news stories that reflected badly on the administration for which it has such warm feelings. It ignored the videos in which the White House "green jobs czar" proclaimed himself a "communist" and the "truther" petition he signed charging that George W. Bush may have allowed the Sept. 11 attacks.

It ignored the videos released on Andrew Breitbart's biggovernment.com showing ACORN employees offering to help a supposed pimp and prostitute evade taxes and employ 13- to 15-year-old prostitutes. It downplayed last spring's Tea Parties -- locally organized demonstrations against big government that attracted about a million people nationwide -- and downplayed the Tea Party throng at the Capitol and on the Mall Sept. 12.

Actually, "mainstream media" are doing their friends in the Obama administration and the Democratic Party no favors, at least in the long run. Obama comes from one-party Chicago, and the House Democrats' nine top leadership members and committee chairmen come from districts that voted on average 73 percent for Obama last fall. They need help in understanding the larger country they are seeking to govern, where nearly half voted the other way. Instead, they get the impression they can dismiss critics as racist or "Nazis" or as indulging in (as Sen. Harry Reid said) "evil-mongering."

Speaker Nancy Pelosi has warned us that there's a danger that intense rhetoric can provoke violence, and no decent person wants to see harm come to our president or other leaders. But it's interesting that the two most violent incidents at this summer's town hall meetings came when a union thug beat up a 65-year-old black conservative in Missouri and when a liberal protester bit off part of a man's finger in California.

These incidents don't justify a conclusion that all liberals are violent. But they are more evidence that American liberals, unused to hearing dissent, have an impulse to shut it down.

COPYRIGHT 2009 THE WASHINGTON EXAMINER

DISTRIBUTED BY CREATORS.COM

My Opinion Matters
9/23/2009, 10:04 AM
Keep those original thoughts coming, good buddy!

OklahomaTuba
9/23/2009, 10:06 AM
Shut up, raacist.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/23/2009, 12:43 PM
"I would submit that the president's call for an end to "bickering" and the charges of racism by some of his supporters are the natural reflex of people who are not used to hearing people disagree with them and who are determined to shut them up."-Michael Barone

The above has long been the case. Countless episodes of conservative speakers at colleges and other places that are shouted down, and actually not allowed to give their presentations. The sponsoring entities seem to never control the crowds in any way. In some cases, they couldn't if they tried.

StoopTroup
9/23/2009, 12:59 PM
Ya'll stop your bickering right now!

POSTS REPORTED :D

Pricetag
9/23/2009, 02:18 PM
The idea of "dissent" versus "he's our president" has been one of the most bewildering to me about the latest change in power. I guess I figured that the republicans and democrats would have a longer memory, that they wouldn't so willingly assume the exact opposite of the role they had been playing for the last eight years.

SoonerProphet
9/23/2009, 02:27 PM
that they wouldn't so willingly assume the exact opposite of the role they had been playing for the last eight years.

You know better than that. Partisan shills are partisan shills, they cannot change their stripes. I would find it humorous if it wasn't so sickening and obviously hypocritical. Those that argued against the Iraqi invasion because its rational was specious at best were shouted down by the very Republicans who are bitching the loudest now.

Sooner_Havok
9/23/2009, 03:45 PM
You know better than that. Partisan shills are partisan shills, they cannot change their stripes. I would find it humorous if it wasn't so sickening and obviously hypocritical. Those that argued against the Iraqi invasion because its rational was specious at best were shouted down by the very Republicans who are bitching the loudest now.

c'est la vie friend. Dissent has gone from treacherous to patriotic while exercising power has gone from an abuse to a right.

“It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong" -Voltaire

picasso
9/23/2009, 04:55 PM
I thought dissent was a good thing. Apparently it just depends on who happens to be in office.

Sooner_Havok
9/23/2009, 05:00 PM
I thought dissent was a good thing. Apparently it just depends on who happens to be in office.

Half the population will always think dissent is good, and the other half will always say "Love it or leave it!"

Frozen Sooner
9/23/2009, 05:11 PM
Dissent all you want. Something that seems to always get lost is that just as you have to right to disagree with whoever is in power, other people have the right to take issue with your opinions and statements. Simple disagreement isn't stifling debate.

It does stifle debate somewhat to ascribe ulterior motives to those who disagree with you. If you've paid attention, the President has said on quite a few occasions that he wishes people would stop calling people who disagreed with him racist.

You may be stupid. You may be racist. You may hold treasonous views. I'll do my damnedest to make sure that the government doesn't actively deprive you of a forum to express your stupid, racist, treasonous views.

And sorry, Phil is not the government in this context. That doesn't apply here.

LosAngelesSooner
9/23/2009, 05:58 PM
I thought dissent was a good thing. Apparently it just depends on who happens to be in office.Rational, well thought out, open minded dissent IS a good thing. And President Obama is CERTAINLY deserving of some criticism and even some dissent on certain issues.

As for the other extreme, see the quote in my sig.

LosAngelesSooner
9/23/2009, 06:12 PM
I will say that Obama has been much more open to allowing criticism towards him and his policies than Dubya ever was.

Curly Bill
9/23/2009, 06:15 PM
I will say that Obama has been much more open to allowing criticism towards him and his policies than Dubya ever was.

Wow! High praise indeed. :rolleyes: ;)

GrapevineSooner
9/23/2009, 06:17 PM

Code Pink and Cindy Sheehan are STILL protesting Bush a short distance from Bush's Preston Hollow home, so I'm not even sure what your statement even means, LAS.

LosAngelesSooner
9/23/2009, 06:30 PM
Code Pink and Cindy Sheehan (though I do respect her loss) are nuts.

I'm not talking about them. Don't you remember all the stories about the Bush era protesters being herded miles away to "protest pins" so Bush wouldn't have to see people disagreeing with him? And all his hand picked cushy town halls and Military Personnel talks?

At least Obama isn't afraid to face his critics. That kinda IS high praise.

Curly Bill
9/23/2009, 06:31 PM
Code Pink and Cindy Sheehan are nuts.

Don't you remember all the stories about the Bush era protesters being herded miles away to "protest pins" so Bush wouldn't have to see people disagreeing with him? And all his hand picked cushy town halls and Military Personnel talks?

At least Obama isn't afraid to face his critics. That kinda IS high praise.

You've been directing a lot of that towards Brack here lately...

...I mean for being a conservative and all that. :rolleyes:

LosAngelesSooner
9/23/2009, 06:38 PM
Dude...I certainly HAVE criticized Obama. I'm just not foaming at the mouth in pseudo rage because my "right wing overlords" have whipped me into a frenzy.

I don't think he's been perfect. Far from it. I have been disappointed with quite a few things he's done. But I ALSO don't agree that he's been an unmitigated disaster as some on here are wont to believe.

And again, for accuracy's sake, I'm a MODERATE, not a Conservative. Technically a Moderate with Liberal leaning social views and Conservative leaning economic and political/international views.

GrapevineSooner
9/23/2009, 06:54 PM
I'm not talking about them. Don't you remember all the stories about the Bush era protesters being herded miles away to "protest pins" so Bush wouldn't have to see people disagreeing with him?

You mean like these?

And yes, I am citing an ACLU lawsuit here to support my argumen (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/05/us/politics/05security.html?_r=1)t. :D

The expressions of concern about security at the convention could have more immediate political and legal implications, too. A federal judge, Marcia S. Krieger of United States District Court in Denver, is expected to issue a decision this week in a lawsuit filed by the American Civil Liberties Union (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/a/american_civil_liberties_union/index.html?inline=nyt-org) seeking to ease security provisions at the convention. The A.C.L.U. has suggested that the Secret Service and the Denver police have exaggerated risks as part of a crackdown on dissent.

The case centers on whether the security zone around the Pepsi Center is so large, and the designated parade route through the city for marches and rallies so far away, as to unnecessarily stifle free speech. New worries about protests and anarchy could bolster the government’s case that the plans are justified.

To be fair, a lot of these decisions are made out of security concerns. Considering the magnitude of last year's DNC at Denver, those concerns were valid.

Having a 1st Amendment right doesn't necessarily mean you can protest wherever you want. You certainly can't enter the gated area to the neighborhood around the Bush's home in North Dallas to protest because the Secret Service would rightly consider that a breach.

As far as the rest of your post goes, that's been SOS for every Administration in my lifetime, probably your lifetime, and will continue to be the SOS for every administration after Obama.

I don't have a problem with that so long as it's made known publicly that the crowd at a Presidential Rally or speech is by invite only.

LosAngelesSooner
9/23/2009, 07:01 PM
Yeah, but Obama has invited people who DO disagree with him. And he's tried to tackle their questions head on.

Dubya? Notsomuch.

picasso
9/23/2009, 09:03 PM
Rational, well thought out, open minded dissent IS a good thing. And President Obama is CERTAINLY deserving of some criticism and even some dissent on certain issues.

As for the other extreme, see the quote in my sig.

Well we don't seem to be hearing much dissent about our activities in Afghanistan. And I'm talking about the same folks who stood on the busy corner and cried a river over our Iraq aggression.

Everyone had a hard-on for dissent when Bushie was in office. All rational I'm quite sure.

picasso
9/23/2009, 09:04 PM
Yeah, but Obama has invited people who DO disagree with him. And he's tried to tackle their questions head on.

Dubya? Notsomuch.

Oh man.

bluedogok
9/23/2009, 09:08 PM
Everyone had a hard-on for dissent when Bushie was in office. All rational I'm quite sure.
For the past six years that I have been here in Austin there were many cars with Dissent IS Patriotic stickers with many others ones that couldn't be repeated on television. It is funny how all of a sudden that the type of vitriol that the Dems directed at Bush for 8 years is now all of a sudden something else :rolleyes:

picasso
9/23/2009, 09:16 PM
Obama's administration has tried the fast break cram with it's agenda leaving any discussion and debate behind.

It's laughable to think this guy has come to the table to talk about anything.

He's appointed his crooked cronies and done business as per usual just like every other President (only faster).

Out.

Sooner_Havok
9/23/2009, 09:29 PM
Well we don't seem to be hearing much dissent about our activities in Afghanistan. And I'm talking about the same folks who stood on the busy corner and cried a river over our Iraq aggression.

I for one was always behind the Afghanistan operation. I just always thought we should have finished Afghanistan before we started another military campaign.

I think the thing most people were upset with about Iraq, and it is really a small thing, is that they felt like they were lied to about the reasons going into Iraq.

Oh, and not everyone. On this board, if you said you thought Bush may have been off base, you were called a treasonous **** and told to love it or leave it. Shoe is on the other foot now, and some folks don't like the way it feels. Those people need to grow up.

LosAngelesSooner
9/23/2009, 09:30 PM

Everyone had a hard-on for dissent when Bushie was in office. All rational I'm quite sure.Dude...the rationale for going to war in Iraq and the rationale for going to war in Afghanistan ARE NOT THE SAME!

Of COURSE many people object to one but support the other. Duh...

bluedogok
9/23/2009, 10:14 PM
I for one was always behind the Afghanistan operation. I just always thought we should have finished Afghanistan before we started another military campaign.

I think the thing most people were upset with about Iraq, and it is really a small thing, is that they felt like they were lied to about the reasons going into Iraq.
Many felt like the job should have been finished in Iraq the first time...

Sooner_Havok
9/23/2009, 10:18 PM
Many felt like the job should have been finished in Iraq the first time...

Well, that is on the guy three guys ago now.

I just think we should limit or campaigns in the Graveyard of Empires to one at a time. I'm funny like that though.

LosAngelesSooner
9/24/2009, 06:19 AM
Many felt like the job should have been finished in Iraq the first time...By that logic we've got some unfinished business in Iran that Carter didn't wrap up.

:les:LET'S GO TO WAR!!!

:rolleyes:

MrJimBeam
9/24/2009, 08:54 AM
Conservative leaning economic and political/international views.

You must really be disappointed, that's where he's phucked up the most.

GrapevineSooner
9/24/2009, 11:41 AM
Well, that is on the guy three guys ago now.

I just think we should limit or campaigns in the Graveyard of Empires to one at a time. I'm funny like that though.

I can't disagree with that.

And while a case could be made that we should have finished the job back in 1991, keep in mind that Bush 41 had the support of our allies in that area of the world to only do what was necessary to drive Iraq out of Kuwait. For better or worse, his administration felt it necessary to keep those allies happy.

And at that time, it would have been tough to argue for regime change. Just one of the advantage of 20/20 hindsight vision.

And BTW, I think if Clinton had it to do all over again, he might have started the war in Afghanistan before 2001 if you know what I mean.