PDA

View Full Version : There is a reason...

Collier11
9/23/2009, 09:50 AM
That Stoops is playing so many Freshman this year compared to years past when we had good teams and he only got them token playing time, for one yes it gives us needed depth but the main reason IMHO is next year.

Guys, barring any upsets, we will lose 2 O-lineman, 2 RBs, Te, 1 Big Time QB, 1 Wr, 4 DL and possibly 5 if Beal goes pro, 2 LB and 3 if Lewis goes pro, 1 DB, 2 if Franks were to go pro.

My point in bringing this up is that because of this extensive playing time this year, we will be much much more prepared for next year which many perceived as a down year than we would have been, meaning next year wont necessarily be a down year anymore, especially with all the experience Landry has gotten.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20090923_92_B1_OUfres159524

Fab freshmen
Injuries, talent and high scores have led to playing time for several Sooner freshmen

By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
Published: 9/23/2009 2:23 AM
Last Modified: 9/23/2009 3:55 AM

NORMAN — Even the key players in Oklahoma's precocious freshman class are surprised by their early success this season.

"I had a doubt here and there," said linebacker Ronnell Lewis, who played eight-man football as a junior at Dewar before the Dragons expanded last year. "I thought it would be hard, from the level I came from."

"Actually, it's kind of surprising," said cornerback Demontre Hurst, who has impacted the Sooners' dreadful kickoff team and has gotten backup time on defense. "I didn't know I was going to come in and the coaches would have much confidence in me. I just came in and surprised myself."

"I didn't think I was going to start," said offensive lineman Tyler Evans, the lightly regarded prospect from Missouri and the only rookie in Bob Stoops' starting lineup. "I thought he was just trying to scare the upperclassmen. He wasn't going to put a freshman out there. But I actually started."

The fact that nine first-year players have gotten time through three games this season is attributable to two things:

The Sooners have a handful of spots where depth is an issue and those freshmen are really needed.

The class itself is replete with quality football players.

"Maybe there are some number issues here or there, but there are some spots, some other guys that they're better than," said defensive coordinator Brent Venables. "And the other guys know it, too."

There's also the little matter of outscoring their last two opponents (Idaho State and Tulsa) by a combined score of 109-0. A few of the rookies would never have played in close games.

"We did anticipate playing a good number of them," Stoops said. "But we're not going to play them if they're not prepared for it and we don't feel they're going to play at a level we expect."

The number of true freshmen played so far is the third-most ever by a Stoops team. The 2005 team played 12 first-year players, and the 2002 team played 11.

Think about those teams. Each needed something of a rebuild — 2005 much more so than 2002 — and had to resort to an infusion of fresh talent. Sounds a lot like this year's team.

"Guys, I think, anywhere, are more prepared in today's game coming out of high school, through their strength and conditioning to their experience on the field," Stoops said. "I've always believed, too, if a guy's able to play as a freshman, even if it's smaller amounts, he's still more prepared the next year when you need him to play more or need him to start maybe."

Evans may be the biggest — literally and figuratively — surprise among the youngsters. True freshmen offensive linemen getting to play are fairly rare at OU. Only 10 have played previously under Stoops, and only two (Vince Carter and Branndon Braxton) were starters early in their freshman year.

Evans, at 6-foot-5 and 328 pounds, is physically mature. Raised on a farm, he's tougher and stronger than many freshmen. And he has that country work ethic — show up early, get it done.

Six rookies are on the two-deep. Others are impacting special teams or already have played backup roles.

Lewis, another physical specimen, has climbed the depth chart to No. 2 at middle linebacker. Mike Balogun's NCAA decertification and Tom Wort's knee injury put him there, but Lewis has done his part.

"What I like about him, when he hits people, they go the other way," Venables said.

Like Evans, Lewis' work habits are sunup to sundown.

"Oh, he's a head-hunter," said defensive tackle Gerald McCoy. "If you say, 'Go run into that wall,' he'll run through it. He'll hit anything that you say go hit. Once he gets everything down there's going to be some problems for somebody. I promise you that. Somebody's going to get injured. Seriously. Because he'll hit anything, and when he hits it, it's going to go down."

Hurst got himself noticed the first week of training camp. By the time OU practiced in front of a crowd, Hurst was second team. By the end of that session, he was going with the first team. Now he's a special teams demon, with three of his four tackles on kickoffs.

Marcus Trice's rise has shadowed Hurst's: he stood out in two-a-days, performed well on special teams and now is the No. 2 free safety. Javon Harris is the backup at strong safety.

Defensive tackle Jamarkus McFarland is on the cusp of the two-deep. He played in both victories and showed he can be counted on to give Adrian Taylor and McCoy some much needed rest. He's just the third defensive tackle (Tommie Harris and Dusty Dvoracek in 2001) to play as a true freshman under Stoops.

"Coming in as a freshman, the speed is so much faster and everything happens so quick," McFarland said. "You're expected to go out there and just get that feel like it's high school, but it's not. Everyone on either side of the ball is bigger than you and stronger than you. So you get put on your butt."

Still, McFarland has impressed the right people.

"He's further along than anybody I've seen since I've been here," said McCoy. "As far as a true freshman goes, since I've been here, you haven't seen anybody else play as a true freshman besides him."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Young guns
OU has played nine true freshmen so far this season. A rundown of their contributions

LB Jaydan Bird
Early enrollee who has seen action in all three games, mostly on special teams. Has recorded two tackles.

OL Tyler Evans

Started and played well against Idaho State and Tulsa. Part of a unit that hasn’t allowed a sack yet.

DB Javon Harris

Early enrollee who wowed coaches in the spring. Played against Idaho State and Tulsa and made a special teams tackle and is a backup safety.

DB Demontre Hurst

opened the season with a special teams tackle and in three games has made two more. Also is a backup cornerback.

LB Ronnell Lewis

Early enrollee who blows minds with his size and power. Backup linebacker who’s played in three games with six tackles, a sack and a safety.

DT Jamarkus McFarland

Played as the fifth defensive tackle in the Sooners’ victories over Idaho State and Tulsa and delivered three tackles.

RB Jonathan Miller

Played in three games but stood out as a running back late against Idaho State with 88 yards and a TD. Has 116 yards on 7.4 yards per carry.

WR Jaz Reynolds

Debuted against Tulsa after thoughts of redshirting. Has yet to catch a pass and hasn’t impacted special teams yet.

DB Marcus Trice

Another special teams standout and backup safety. Has played in all three games, with two tackles and a blocked punt.

Gresho Murford
9/23/2009, 09:54 AM
Good post and I agree that it bodes well for next year. Having Landry, Calhoun and Miller, a solid oline, more experienced WRs will still give us a good offense. Still need a TE to step up.

On defense I think we will still be pretty good with the play of the young guys we have seen so far.

StoopTroup
9/23/2009, 09:55 AM
C11.....

So your sayin' Stoops might actually know what he's doing?

Collier11
9/23/2009, 09:59 AM
I think he has a decent idea ;) I also think he has burned himself like in 04 when we had a good chance to play young guys really significantly and he didnt, then look what happened in 05.

We will be Top 10 again next yr to start the year and this will help make it legit

primetime43
9/23/2009, 10:02 AM
Lewis, another physical specimen, has climbed the depth chart to No. 2 at middle linebacker. Mike Balogun's NCAA decertification and Tom Wort's knee injury put him there, but Lewis has done his part.

"What I like about him, when he hits people, they go the other way," Venables said.

Like Evans, Lewis' work habits are sunup to sundown.

"Oh, he's a head-hunter," said defensive tackle Gerald McCoy. "If you say, 'Go run into that wall,' he'll run through it. He'll hit anything that you say go hit. Once he gets everything down there's going to be some problems for somebody. I promise you that. Somebody's going to get injured. Seriously. Because he'll hit anything, and when he hits it, it's going to go down."

I expect big things out of this guy. Can't wait to see him get his shot.

w0lfe
9/23/2009, 10:10 AM
interesting. Love to watch these guys develop. What I like about Freshman is that when they get the confidence, they play lights out.

Collier11
9/23/2009, 10:14 AM
Exactly Wolfe, get that attitude in them now that they are the best!

CrimsonJim
9/23/2009, 10:17 AM
C11.....

So your sayin' Stoops might actually know what he's doing?

I believe he is saying that Stoops has finally learned to play the young guns when he has the opportunity; something he has been reluctant to do in the past. This will pay great dividends in the future.

Crucifax Autumn
9/23/2009, 10:34 AM
I think he should have been doing this all along, but maybe guys really weren't ready before. That still doesn't explain not playing more of them in blowouts though.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/23/2009, 10:37 AM
I believe he is saying that Stoops has finally learned to play the young guns when he has the opportunity; something he has been reluctant to do in the past. This will pay great dividends in the future.

Hindsight is 20/20. Say the starters play 3 quarters every game up until Texas. Then we play texas, who we are tied with into the 4th quarter. Texas, who never takes out their starters, is more ready.

Not sayin. Just sayin.

CrimsonJim
9/23/2009, 10:53 AM
That was well said, for not sayin....just sayin. ;)

SunnySooner
9/23/2009, 07:15 PM
The NFL is going to bend us over after this season. I knew next year would be a "rebuilding" year, but I do have a little more hope after seeing Landry and the younguns play so well. I don't know if we'll be MNC caliber, but we should still have a very good season, prolly a BCS bowl, and then 2011--watch out. Lots of other teams graduating great players as well (goodbye to Colt and His Holiness), so who knows--I'm sure it will be yet another wild ride.

madillsoonerfan5353
9/23/2009, 07:47 PM
Exactly Wolfe, get that SWAGGER in them now that they are the best!

Fixed! :D

LawtonBoy74
9/23/2009, 10:29 PM
Good read.. I'm excited about what the future holds..I didnt realize how many Defensive players we are losing, I guess our only concern on defense next year would be depth in the front 7 maybe..hopefully T.Lewis comes back and it would be amazing if G.McCoy came back too