This goes beyond Politics . Get our People Jobs NOW
Talk all the Political spin ya want . It aint helpin the Unemployed :mad:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090922/ap_on_go_co/us_unemployment_benefits

LosAngelesSooner
9/23/2009, 02:31 AM
Why not?

adoniijahsooner
9/23/2009, 04:36 AM
i agree olevet; constantly bickering when folks are starving, facing eviction , foreclosures, and repossessions is quite ineffectual.

Okla-homey
9/23/2009, 06:31 AM
You think its bad now, just pray Obama's cap-and-tax dealio dies the same death Obamacare is dying.

Other than that, let's be honest. WTF does a government create jobs? Other than making the tax and regulatory environment advantageous for business?

StoopTroup
9/23/2009, 07:13 AM
You think its bad now, just pray Obama's cap-and-tax dealio dies the same death Obamacare is dying.

Other than that, let's be honest. WTF does a government create jobs? Other than making the tax and regulatory environment advantageous for business?

I got nuthin'. :D

http://pzrservices.typepad.com/vintageadvertising/images/2007/04/30/wpa_poster.jpg

OklahomaTuba
9/23/2009, 10:05 AM

AMEN!

Sad thing is that if it does pass, people who don't have jobs will be paying much higher taxes. So much for caring about poor people!!!

My Opinion Matters
9/23/2009, 10:13 AM
Four hours from Vet's original post with Obama in the title, asking us to omit partisan spin from the topic, Homey enters to put a spin on it. Nice restraint, Homey.

yermom
9/23/2009, 10:29 AM
i think you should have to do community service to get unemployment

in fact, i'm not sure why no one has thought of this.

OklahomaTuba
9/23/2009, 10:31 AM
Four hours from Vet's original post with Obama in the title, asking us to omit partisan spin from the topic, Homey enters to put a spin on it. Nice restraint, Homey.So now it's spin to talk about the effects of a proposed tax increase during recession????

Okla-homey
9/23/2009, 10:46 AM

Short answer: because you would have to provide childcare to make community service mandatory in exchange for unemployment benefits, and we can't afford that.

Also, such programs have been attacked as forms of involuntary servitude.

You wanna stimulate the economy and create jobs? Easy. Just give everyone a six month income and payroll tax hiatus. And, FWIW, such a thing would prolly have been cheaper than the bajillions blown to no effect since Obama's inauguration.

JLEW1818
9/23/2009, 10:52 AM
b/c about 20% of America is worthless

OklahomaTuba
9/23/2009, 10:54 AM
Short answer: because you would have to provide childcare to make community service mandatory in exchange for unemployment benefits, and we can't afford that.

You wanna stimulate the economy and create jobs? Easy. Just give everyone a six month income and payroll tax hiatus. And, FWIW, such a thing would prolly have been cheaper than the bajillions blown to no effect since Obama's inauguration.

Like that would happen. How would folks like ACORN get their federal handouts if people kept their own money?????

Although Dear Leader says he is open to a Newspaper bailout. I hope he is dumb enough to do that. Then we can for sure call him The One (termer).

yermom
9/23/2009, 11:39 AM

i'm not talking about welfare. i'm talking about the guy whining that he doesn't have a job and getting a direct deposit in his account every week he says he's been applying for jobs on the little web form at the end of the week

i'm not talking about civil service or something, i'm talking about picking up trash or doing the crap they have to do if they got arrested for something

yermom
9/23/2009, 11:40 AM
Like that would happen. How would folks like ACORN get their federal handouts if people kept their own money?????

Although Dear Leader says he is open to a Newspaper bailout. I hope he is dumb enough to do that. Then we can for sure call him The One (termer).

newpapers?

we might as well bail out the RIAA and MPAA while we are at it

JLEW1818
9/23/2009, 11:45 AM
i'm not talking about welfare. i'm talking about the guy whining that he doesn't have a job and getting a direct deposit in his account every week he says he's been applying for jobs on the little web form at the end of the week

i'm not talking about civil service or something, i'm talking about picking up trash or doing the crap they have to do if they got arrested for something

sounds good to me

walkoffsooner
9/23/2009, 12:10 PM
You want results pray.

picasso
9/23/2009, 12:42 PM
The government really can't create jobs.

yermom
9/23/2009, 12:44 PM
they can sure let them move to India, Mexico, etc... though

picasso
9/23/2009, 12:57 PM
they can sure let them move to India, Mexico, etc... though

True. And I'd probably move my company too if it were being taxed or capped to death.

You think China owns us now? Just wait until we put the old cap on some companies.

OklahomaTuba
9/23/2009, 01:30 PM
newpapers?

Yeah, newspapers.

Obama open to newspaper bailout bil (http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/59523-obama-open-to-newspaper-bailout-bill)l

I guess it would be too much to ask for Obama to bail out the job creating industries in this nation instead of just the ones that employ his supporters???

Scott D
9/23/2009, 02:07 PM
newpapers?

internet is killing a lot of newspapers enough that they're reducing on hand printing and focusing more on their digital copy. Problem is, you obviously need fewer people to do the digital copy. The ad revenue is down, but it was down prior to the economy jumping off of a very large hill. Within 3-5 years you'll probably see most if not all major cities with one newspaper instead of the two or more they have now.

A lot of them have already cut weekday home delivery to only a few days if they do it at all anymore.

yermom
9/23/2009, 03:15 PM
yeah, that's kinda what i meant. the newspaper as a medium was going to crap before the economy. i'm thinking their demographic is dying off...

looking over that link though, i'm not sure why they need a bill for papers to become non-profits, but i'm no accountant/lawyer

LosAngelesSooner
9/23/2009, 05:41 PM

I hate to break it to ya, but Cap-n-trade is gonna pass and be good for America just like National Health care is gonna pass and be good for America.

Quit listening to Beck.

LosAngelesSooner
9/23/2009, 05:44 PM
In what alternate reality have those of you who are clamoring for a "tax cut" been living in for the past 8 years? :rolleyes:

Curly Bill
9/23/2009, 06:28 PM
In what alternate reality have those of you who are clamoring for a "tax cut" been living in for the past 8 years? :rolleyes:

The same one that allows you to claim to be something other than a flaming liberal. ;)

LosAngelesSooner
9/23/2009, 06:40 PM
The same one that allows you to claim to be something other than a flaming liberal. ;):rolleyes:

Check out your other "LAS is a Liberal" post in the other thread that you posted 2 seconds ago for my response to this crap.

Curly Bill
9/23/2009, 06:41 PM
:rolleyes:

Check out your other "LAS is a Liberal" post in the other thread that you posted 2 seconds ago for my response to this crap.

You get tired of countering those "LAS is a liberal" threads huh?

Can't imagine why. ;)

:D

LosAngelesSooner
9/23/2009, 06:46 PM
And by the way...I don't find being called a "Liberal" insulting. It's just simply untrue. And those types of inaccuracies are part of what's wrong with our National discourse when it comes to politics nowadays. The "right" has moved SO FAR to the right that a Moderate appears to be Liberal to them. That's why the "right" is being lumped in with these nutsos at the Tea Bagger ralleys who think that Obama is appointing Tsars to run the Government and why the 'r'epublicans got their asses handed to them in the last two elections.

It's why actual legitimate concerns regarding Obama's policies aren't being paid attention to and are being included with all the Birther conspiracies and Death Panel lies and Illegal Immigrants getting health care lies, etc...etc...etc...

It's idiotic, undisciplined jackasses like Joe Wilson embarrassing our party and then having a bunch of idiot whackos who don't understand our Political decorum and rules of order raise him up as some kind of hero. When he's not. And when he was actually the one who was wrong.

The minute they remember what a Republican REALLY IS, what their principles are and who they are and move back to the CENTER is the minute the Republican Party will re-emerge and get rid of the current 'r'epublicans who are running our party into the ground.

America first. Party second. Quit being the "opposition" party and start being the Republican Party again. It's been almost 20 years since they have been, anyway.

Sooner_Havok
9/23/2009, 07:37 PM
It's been almost 20 years since they have been, anyway.

God bless Ronald Reagan

okiewaker
9/23/2009, 07:57 PM

Why do you think someone that has worked for a company, lets say 12yrs, who suddenly becomes unemployed because his company suffered a hostile takeover, do community service? Unemployement, as far as I know, is covered by the company that person worked for and distributed by the state. It is not taxpayers money. Large companies buy Unemployment Insurance. People who draw unemployment are usually folks transitioning from one job to another.

LosAngelesSooner
9/23/2009, 08:16 PM
Yup.

But it's easier to say, "I'm ANGRY! They're leaching off-a me!"

Even when they aren't.

Sooner_Havok
9/23/2009, 08:17 PM
Yup.

Even when they aren't.

They took er jobs!

okiewaker
9/23/2009, 08:25 PM
Yup.

Even when they aren't.

True. Must me talkn bout da welfare folks, tho. They be sucken like Marilyn Chambers on the tally.

LosAngelesSooner
9/23/2009, 08:29 PM
Yeah. Because it's bad for society if those of us who have something give a helping hand to those who don't. :rolleyes:

okiewaker
9/23/2009, 08:41 PM
Yeah. Because it's bad for society if those of us who have something give a helping hand to those who don't. :rolleyes:

Ive been giving for years with no recip, along with alot of others. And, very little to nothing is ever given back to those that are helping.

Sooner_Havok
9/23/2009, 08:43 PM

Think the government is going to help the people of Georgia, or do the "right thing" and stay out of people's personal lives? I say the private sector could better help those people than the government could anyway.

Okla-homey
9/23/2009, 08:45 PM
I hate to break it to ya, but Cap-n-trade is gonna pass and be good for America just like National Health care is gonna pass and be good for America.

Quit listening to Beck.

Number one: I don't listen to Beck. The only radio guy I hear fairly regularly is Michael Savage. And that's because he's on my drive home. And Savage is an equal opportunity h8r. He doesn't approve of the current occupant of the WH anymore than he did of the previous occupant.

Number two: Your boy has lost his mojo. He's not going to get either done because the US House of Representatives must run for re-election every two years. There are far too many Blue Dogs scared crapless of what the voters will do to them if they vote for either of those two inane schemes. Not to mention we're broke. No money/no medicine.

Number Three: After the 2010 mid-terms, the One will be relegated to appearing on Letterman and conducting feel-good sessions among his hard left cronies who haven't abandoned him because he didn't end the war like he promised and took nationalized health care (a/k/a the public option) off the table.

Okla-homey
9/23/2009, 08:50 PM

Question: Do you invest anything of yourself to help those less fortunate? Like your time? Down where they live? I'm not talking about giving money or making donations to various causes. That's easy. I mean really, rolling up your sleeves, wading in and trying to make a difference in poor folks lives? Because if you don't, frankly, I'm not interested in anything you have to say on the subject. Because you sir, are a hypocrit.

LosAngelesSooner
9/23/2009, 09:02 PM
Ive been giving for years with no recip, along with alot of others. And, very little to nothing is ever given back to those that are helping.Yeah...'cause THAT'S why you do good deeds. :rolleyes:

And the fact that it benefits society on a whole...sure...sure. You've NEVER benefited by people being fed and having jobs.

LosAngelesSooner
9/23/2009, 09:04 PM
Number one: I don't listen to Beck. The only radio guy I hear fairly regularly is Michael Savage. And that's because he's on my drive home. And Savage is an equal opportunity h8r. He doesn't approve of the current occupant of the WH anymore than he did of the previous occupant.

Number two: Your boy has lost his mojo. He's not going to get either done because the US House of Representatives must run for re-election every two years. There are far too many Blue Dogs scared crapless of what the voters will do to them if they vote for either of those two inane schemes. Not to mention we're broke. No money/no medicine.

Number Three: After the 2010 mid-terms, the One will be relegated to appearing on Letterman and conducting feel-good sessions among his hard left cronies who haven't abandoned him because he didn't end the war like he promised and took nationalized health care (a/k/a the public option) off the table.Number One: He ain't "my boy." Never has been.

Number Two: HARDLY. Just because you're surrounded by people who feel that way, doesn't mean the majority of the US feels that way. BOTH are gonna pass. Book it.

Number Three: the 2010 elections look even WORSE for the GOP. Watch and see.

okiewaker
9/23/2009, 09:06 PM

If your talking about folks with disabilities, handicaps, old age, etc, I have no problem. Other than that, most folks are born with two hands and need to use them. It is far worse on society to empower able bodied folks to keep collecting money they did not earn.

LosAngelesSooner
9/23/2009, 09:06 PM
Question: Do you invest anything of yourself to help those less fortunate? Like your time? Down where they live? I'm not talking about giving money or making donations to various causes. That's easy. I mean really, rolling up your sleeves, wading in and trying to make a difference in poor folks lives? Because if you don't, frankly, I'm not interested in anything you have to say on the subject. Because you sir, are a hypocrit.Yes. I do. And I have ever since I was in middle school. I've donated my time and money through Madonna House, Catholic Charities and various soup kitchens. I've build homes for the poor, traveled to other countries to help the poor, dug wells, fed people and contributed time and money to local soup kitchens.

Hate away, but you can never accuse me of being a hypocrite.

I think it's sad that you assumed I would be one. That's on you.

LosAngelesSooner
9/23/2009, 09:07 PM
If your talking about folks with disabilities, handicaps, old age, etc, I have no problem. Other than that, most folks are born with two hands and need to use them. It is far worse on society to empower able bodied folks to keep collecting money they did not earn.'cause that's what Jesus taught. The old "Blessed are the Bootstraps" sermon. :rolleyes:

Okla-homey
9/23/2009, 09:11 PM
Number One: He ain't "my boy." Never has been.

Number Two: HARDLY. Just because you're surrounded by people who feel that way, doesn't mean the majority of the US feels that way. BOTH are gonna pass. Book it.

Riiiiight.

Congressional Job Approval
Polling Data
Poll Date Approve / Disapprove
RCP Average 8/27 - 9/20: 26.8 / 64.0
NBC News/Wall St. Jrnl 9/17 - 9/20: 22 / 66
FOX News 9/15 - 9/16: 27 / 64
Associated Press/GfK 9/3 - 9/8: 28 / 69
Gallup 8/31 - 9/2: 31 / 63
CBS News 8/27 - 8/31: 26 / 58

okiewaker
9/23/2009, 09:11 PM
Yeah...'cause THAT'S why you do good deeds. :rolleyes:

And the fact that it benefits society on a whole...sure...sure. You've NEVER benefited by people being fed and having jobs.

Just how much more should I give? I mean, I do have to work 40hrs a week yet only able to spend 27hrs of it.

LosAngelesSooner
9/23/2009, 09:12 PM
That proves nothing. Sure, everyone hates THE OTHER STATE'S Congressmen, but they'll re-elect their own.

How else could you explain Inhoffe. He's, without exception, the biggest dumbass in all of the Senate. But he'll get re-elected.

LosAngelesSooner
9/23/2009, 09:17 PM
Just how much more should I give? I mean, I do have to work 40hrs a week yet only able to spend 27hrs of it.And you're still better off than citizens in 95% of the World's nations. Cry me a freakin' river.

Ooooh, you have to contribute to society! Life is so damn tough. I am taxed higher than you are because I'm in a higher income bracket and get taxes taken out from MULTIPLE nations quite often, yet I don't complain. Neither do all those evil, awful Hollywood Celebrities. They get taxed more than most everyone on this board...yet they are in favor of helping out the poor.

Those evil, anti-American, heartless Hollywood Celebs. :rolleyes:

kwRAIdVdVS4

okiewaker
9/23/2009, 09:18 PM
'cause that's what Jesus taught. The old "Blessed are the Bootstraps" sermon. :rolleyes:

Well, theres our differences. I haven't read "Blessed are the Bootstraps".

okiewaker
9/23/2009, 09:24 PM
And you're still better off than citizens in 95% of the World's nations. Cry me a freakin' river.

Ooooh, you have to contribute to society! Life is so damn tough. I am taxed higher than you are because I'm in a higher income bracket and get taxes taken out from MULTIPLE nations quite often, yet I don't complain. Neither do all those evil, awful Hollywood Celebrities. They get taxed more than most everyone on this board...yet they are in favor of helping out the poor.

Those evil, anti-American, heartless Hollywood Celebs. :rolleyes:

kwRAIdVdVS4

Actually laughing. I gave my opinion and you poked me with the red prod. I gave another, you again poked me with the red prod. I guess giving opinons or opposing your lib thinking will just result in the red prod.

LosAngelesSooner
9/23/2009, 09:24 PM
Well, theres our differences. I haven't read "Blessed are the Bootstraps".
Yet you're preachin' it.

LosAngelesSooner
9/23/2009, 09:26 PM
I redspek dumb posts, post I find ignorant, posts that aren't well thought out, posts that aren't very original and posts that whine about getting redspekked.

I greenspek posts that are good, original, thought provoking, well thought out, interesting, intelligent, etc.

Don't take it so seriously. Jesus...

okiewaker
9/23/2009, 09:32 PM
Well, I guess your very busy then. Happy speking to you.

okiewaker
9/23/2009, 09:34 PM
Hey, I only have 679, it's more growing pains for me. Thanks LAS

Sooner_Havok
9/23/2009, 09:34 PM
So I am assuming everyone is with me, Georgia should pull themselves out of this mess. Cause I sure as hell don't want to be forced to help them. If I feel like sending them some money I will, but I shouldn't be forced to by the government giving them MY tax dollars.

LosAngelesSooner
9/23/2009, 09:35 PM
Dude...

don't

take

spek

so

seriously.

LosAngelesSooner
9/23/2009, 09:36 PM
So I am assuming everyone is with me, Georgia should pull themselves out of this mess. Cause I sure as hell don't want to be forced to help them. If I feel like sending them some money I will, but I shouldn't be forced to by the government giving them MY tax dollars.Absolutely. Idiots should KNOW better than to build in a flood zone. ;)

okiewaker
9/23/2009, 09:42 PM
Ok

yermom
9/23/2009, 09:53 PM
Why do you think someone that has worked for a company, lets say 12yrs, who suddenly becomes unemployed because his company suffered a hostile takeover, do community service? Unemployement, as far as I know, is covered by the company that person worked for and distributed by the state. It is not taxpayers money. Large companies buy Unemployment Insurance. People who draw unemployment are usually folks transitioning from one job to another.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/09/23/pf/saving/extending_unemployment_benefits/?postversion=2009092310

In most states, unemployed people receive 26 weeks of state-funded benefits. Depending on where they live, they could get federally funded extensions for a total of 79 weeks.

if it was paid by the companies, why would the government be making a big deal about extending it?

the people i know on unemployment could be working somewhere. they just won't. or they work somewhere and get paid under the table

not that working just anywhere will pay all your bills, but unemployment likely isn't either

okiewaker
9/23/2009, 10:22 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2009/09/23/pf/saving/extending_unemployment_benefits/?postversion=2009092310

if it was paid by the companies, why would the government be making a big deal about extending it?

the people i know on unemployment could be working somewhere. they just won't. or they work somewhere and get paid under the table

not that working just anywhere will pay all your bills, but unemployment likely isn't either

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090218113833AA3k76Z

yermom
9/23/2009, 10:33 PM
so i'm supposed to believe random people on Yahoo over CNN? :P

all i know is that they seem to give it out like candy. it's way too easy to game the system

okiewaker
9/23/2009, 10:41 PM
so i'm supposed to believe random people on Yahoo over CNN? :P

all i know is that they seem to give it out like candy. it's way too easy to game the system

www.house.leg.state.mn.us/hrd/issinfo/uepart1.htm

Maybe yahoo wasn't so good. This comes from a better source.;)

PDXsooner
9/23/2009, 11:37 PM
Number One: He ain't "my boy." Never has been.

BINGO. my brother lives in norman and i have to constantly reassure him that the political environment her lives in is far from the pulse of the country.

unfortunately, it's why oklahoma is politically insignificant. you could put a retarded baboon nazi up for the presidency and as long as it had an R by its name he'd collect the 7 electoral college votes no problemo...

Penguin
9/24/2009, 10:52 AM

Here's the evil thing about unemployment benefits. You MUST be making a full effort to find a job (and prove it at regular intervals) and you MUST be available for full-time work at all times.

Taking any old job will permanently cancel any unemployment benefits. So, if you're unemployed, you shouldn't work until you find a job that pays you at least what unemployment pays you. (Don't get excited. In Texas, unemployment pays you 23% of your final paycheck. Pull out a calculator and see if you can live on that.)

olevetonahill
9/24/2009, 10:57 AM
This is about Peeps gettin jobs Not so much Politics
I know 1 person who has been trying to get the Unemployment ins. but due to overwhelming Unemployment rate where he lives it is taking forever
I have two People that are close to me drawing it.
All 3 Say **** this **** . I want a job
So How can we Bring back Lost jobs , Create new ones for these people ?

OklahomaTuba
9/24/2009, 10:57 AM
you could put a retarded baboon nazi up for the presidency and as long as it had an R by its name he'd collect the 7 electoral college votes no problemo...What's interesting is that registered Donks far outnumber Pubs in this state.

I think the fact not one OK county voted for Dear Leader shows just how radically far left the democrats have gone.

And you're dreaming if you don't think 2010 is looking like a great year for GOP. Might even get the house back at the rate if Obama keeps imploding.

Lord help him if he manages to lose the war in Afghanistan and unemployment hits 10%.

Penguin
9/24/2009, 10:59 AM
Also, don't forget that unemployment is not welfare. When you file for unemployment benefits, they call your last employer and ask why you were let go. You can only receive benefits if you lose your job by no fault of your own, i.e., down-sizing, layoffs, company went broke. If they say you were fired for smoking crack in the bathroom, you get zero dollars. So sorry!

Also, if you graduate college and can't find a job, you don't get unemployment. You never had a job that paid your unemployment insurance.

Also, I saw somebody post that people should "work" for their unemployment checks. They already did when their company paid for their unemployment policy and took it out of their paychecks (they aren't supposed to, but that's what happens). Maybe grandma should go sweep the streets and earn her medicare?

OklahomaTuba
9/24/2009, 11:01 AM
So How can we Bring back Lost jobs , Create new ones for these people ?Cut taxes & regulations. Make it easier for firms to invest and profit.

Or, do the exact opposite of what we are doing now. Japan tried what Obama is doing 20+ years ago, and it just made things worse for them.

yermom
9/24/2009, 11:11 AM
Here's the evil thing about unemployment benefits. You MUST be making a full effort to find a job (and prove it at regular intervals) and you MUST be available for full-time work at all times.

Taking any old job will permanently cancel any unemployment benefits. So, if you're unemployed, you shouldn't work until you find a job that pays you at least what unemployment pays you. (Don't get excited. In Texas, unemployment pays you 23% of your final paycheck. Pull out a calculator and see if you can live on that.)

i'd call that gaming the system... i'm not trying to be too judgemental on someone who lost a job, but i do think there are problems with the system

in OK you just have to log in to a webpage and check some boxes every week. they apparently do get upset if you work during that week and don't tell them...

i think the max is $560 a week, or thereabouts, based on some percentage, seems like it was 30?

OklahomaTuba
9/24/2009, 11:13 AM
Another thing that I think will alter our economy and our lives for years to come: people starting to move away from debt fueled consumption binges. Consider Peak Credit:

There is a secular attitude change happening right now. Boomers close to retirement are now (finally) scared to death as the equity in their houses has been vaporized. School age children are seeing homes foreclosed, and families destroyed over debt. The American consumer, who nearly everyone thinks will be back as soon as the economy picks up are mistaken.

Secular shifts like these come once in a lifetime. Sadly it's too late for many cash strapped boomers counting on equity in their houses for retirement.

Lessons Of The Great Depression Forgotten

The lessons of their great grandfathers who lived in the great depression era were forgotten. Over time, everyone learned to ignore the dangers of debt, risk, and leverage. Belief in the Fed and the government to bail out any problem are ingrained. Bank failures are distant memories.

Anyone and everyone who wanted credit got it, and on the easiest of terms: subprime, pay option arms, reckless leverage, and covenant lite debt and toggle bonds that allowed debt to be paid back with more debt. That's what it takes to hit a peak.

Peak Credit

Peak credit has been reached. That final wave of consumer recklessness created the exact conditions required for its own destruction. The housing bubble orgy was the last hurrah. It is not coming back and there will be no bigger bubble to replace it. Consumers and banks have both been burnt, and attitudes have changed.

It took nearly 80 years for people to get as reckless as they did in 1929. 80 years! Few are still alive that went through the great depression. No one listened to them. That is the nature of the game. The odds of a significant bout of inflation now are about the same as they were in 1929. Next to none.

Children whose parents are being destroyed by debt now, will keep those memories for a long time.http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2008/06/peak-credit.html

And to think, consumption is 70% of our economy...

Bourbon St Sooner
9/24/2009, 12:33 PM
Another thing that I think will alter our economy and our lives for years to come: people starting to move away from debt fueled consumption binges. Consider Peak Credit:
http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2008/06/peak-credit.html

And to think, consumption is 70% of our economy...

Bingo Tuba.

This is why I'm not buying this continuing market rally. Eventually folks are going to come to the realization that the consumer ain't coming back anytime soon no matter how cheap the Fed makes credit. The economy we've built over the past couple of generations is a farce and the chickens have come home to roost, in the elegant words of Rev Wright.

yermom
9/24/2009, 12:38 PM
yeah, i'm not buying this DJIA almost back to 10k business either...

Bourbon St Sooner
9/24/2009, 12:46 PM
Not that it hasn't helped a lot. I'm really glad I didn't panic sell when it was 6500, but now I'm going more to cash.

OklahomaTuba
9/24/2009, 02:35 PM
Not that it hasn't helped a lot. I'm really glad I didn't panic sell when it was 6500, but now I'm going more to cash.Yea, I moved back into stocks about april-ish, and have been riding this suckers rally like a vegas whore on redbull. WTI is the other thing I don't get, but anything over $60 and the purchase orders just keep rolling in like clockwork (for jobs in Venezuela and China), so I won't complain for now.

But people are crazy if they think unemployment is going to snap back anytime soon. Not with so many people trying to retire with no money, with the Government taking over so much of the economy and most people so weighed down with debt they are basically bankrupt. Tough times are here for a while me thinks.

PDXsooner
9/24/2009, 03:09 PM
I think the fact not one OK county voted for Dear Leader shows just how radically far left the democrats have gone.

considering that obama won the popular vote, maybe what that shows you is how far RIGHT oklahoma is.

actually, i think many repubs in oklahoma have bought into the absolutely insane notion that god sides with the right.

Sooner_Havok
9/24/2009, 03:28 PM
considering that obama won the popular vote, maybe what that shows you is how far RIGHT oklahoma is.

actually, i think many repubs in oklahoma have bought into the absolutely insane notion that god sides with the right.

I think an Oklahoma Democrat would be seen as a moderate in the country at large. Hell, some of them might even be considered center right throughout the rest of the country.

Point being, yes, Oklahoma is on the right side of the right wing. Oddly enough, our state has tended to be center to center right in state politics and right in national politics. Lately this has been shifting to where we are now right at the state level and moving far right at the national level. It is a cycle though, I mean we started out just to the right of a communist state, so I would be willing to bet the state's pendulum will start swinging back eventually. That said, I think the pendulum will move further right before it starts to head back left.

LosAngelesSooner
9/24/2009, 03:32 PM
What's interesting is that registered Donks far outnumber Pubs in this state.

And you're dreaming if you don't think 2010 is looking like a great year for GOP. Might even get the house back at the rate if Obama keeps imploding.

Lord help him if he manages to lose the war in Afghanistan and unemployment hits 10%.
You are in for a ROUGH year next year. :D

LosAngelesSooner
9/24/2009, 03:34 PM
Cut taxes & regulations. Make it easier for firms to invest and profit.
^^^THIS is the most blind stupidly ignorant post Tuba has posted in almost a year.

StoopTroup
9/24/2009, 03:36 PM
Cut taxes & regulations. Make it easier for firms to invest and profit.

http://www.thesunblog.com/entertainment/TonySoprano.jpg

Or, do the exact opposite of what we are doing now. Japan tried what Obama is doing 20+ years ago, and it just made things worse for them.

Fixed.