Frozen Sooner
9/22/2009, 06:21 PM
"Remember, if roadway is covered with water, turn around, don"t(sic) drown..."

:D

Okla-homey
9/22/2009, 08:31 PM

I've said it before, and I repeat, a below-average Atokan has more on the ball than an above-average Alabamian. Try to get out some while you're there.

That said, Try to get out some while you're there. I recommend visiting Selma, Mussell Shoals, Talladega, Monroeville, Mobile, the 'Gump, Opelika and of course, the "Prettiest City on the Plains," Auburn.

A Sooner in Texas
9/22/2009, 08:31 PM
Very common down here in the Houston area, where it floods with an inch of rain. And people don't always heed the advice. Kinda like not walking toward a bear to give it food.

Frozen Sooner
9/22/2009, 08:34 PM
I'm just more amused by the instruction "Don't drown!" moreso than they need to be told not to drive into roads covered with water or the punctuation error.

It's like they don't have enough sense to get in out of the rain or something.

Frozen Sooner
9/22/2009, 08:35 PM
I've said it before, and I repeat, a below-average Atokan has more on the ball than an above-average Alabamian. Try to get out some while you're there.

That said, Try to get out some while you're there. I recommend visiting Selma, Mussell Shoals, Talladega, Monroeville, Mobile, the 'Gump, Opelika and of course, the "Prettiest City on the Plains," Auburn.
I'll be visiting Auburn Thanksgiving weekend. :D

And Mobile, actually. Which means Matilda's going to get some miles on her.

Okla-homey
9/22/2009, 08:38 PM
I'm just more amused by the instruction "Don't drown!" moreso than they need to be told not to drive into roads covered with water or the punctuation error.

Billions world-wide smoke cigarettes. Educated people to boot. What's that tell you about humans' ability and/or willingness to heed warnings?

Sooner_Havok
9/22/2009, 08:57 PM
Billions world-wide smoke cigarettes. Educated people to boot. What's that tell you about humans' ability and/or willingness to heed warnings?

That I will not do what the government or some nerdy scientists tell me to do. So some scientists tell me that cigarettes will kill me. I can find scientists that will tell me they won't, and since I like their findings more, I believe them more.

proud gonzo
9/22/2009, 11:16 PM

they were attempting to make a rhyme. "Turn around; don't drown!"

49r
9/23/2009, 10:13 AM
Is it like some kind of corny slogan that a local authority thought up for an anti-drowning-in-flash-floods campaign? You know like "Click it or ticket" or "You Drink, You Drive, You Lose" but only on a local level? Maybe that's why the rhyme?

homerSimpsonsBrain
9/23/2009, 01:18 PM
I've heard the same thing on OK tv and radio. Someone thinks its catchy. And based on the number of morans that go around cones and have to be rescued, I'd say the boarder of stupidville extends beyond Alabama.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/23/2009, 08:57 PM
A couple of years ago, I was driving into Dallas and they had a road sign flashing that....I was pretty amazed

bluedogok
9/23/2009, 09:12 PM

Well, they don't freeze for six months in a row down there :D

swardboy
9/23/2009, 09:29 PM
Hey Froze....have you hit Dreamland BBQ yet?

King Crimson
9/23/2009, 09:38 PM
we've got a few bridges here that run along a creek with the warning: "in case of flash flood, do not seek shelter under bridge".

Tulsa_Fireman
9/23/2009, 10:05 PM
Yes, it's the slogan of the campaign for swift water/flash flood highway awareness.

Frozen Sooner
9/23/2009, 11:11 PM
Hey Froze....have you hit Dreamland BBQ yet?

I have, though I keep hearing that Archibald's is better.

GottaHavePride
9/23/2009, 11:25 PM
Have you been to The Rendezvous in Memphis? And if so, which do you like better?

SicEmBaylor
9/23/2009, 11:33 PM
I love Alabama. I've traveled nearly every square inch of that state and there's not an inch of soil in that great state that I don't love.

Now, my family was from the Cullman county area but I actually prefer southern Alabama. Mobile is an awesome city. Mobile is actually home of the nation's very first Mardi Gras.

Frozen Sooner
9/23/2009, 11:43 PM
Have you been to The Rendezvous in Memphis? And if so, which do you like better?

I have not. The plan is to hit Memphis over fall break.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
9/24/2009, 07:13 AM
Very common down here in the Houston area, where it floods with an inch of rain. And people don't always heed the advice. Kinda like not walking toward a bear to give it food.

If it rains an inch in Houston, the Galleria area becomes a lake.

StoopTroup
9/24/2009, 08:04 AM
If it rains an inch in Houston, the Galleria area becomes a lake.

My Cousin is a camera man for KHOU. He sends me lots of pics when stuff happens down there. This isn't one of them but I remember him sending me a bunch like this....

http://www.houston-water-damage.com/houstonflood.jpg

Boomer_Sooner_sax
9/24/2009, 08:37 AM
My Cousin is a camera man for KHOU. He sends me lots of pics when stuff happens down there. This isn't one of them but I remember him sending me a bunch like this....

http://www.houston-water-damage.com/houstonflood.jpg

Yeah, it looks like that quite a bit. I believe that if from TS Alison in 2001, but you could really substitute it for any heavy rains. There was a day earlier this year where I couldn't even get in to the area where I work. I just went home and back to bed and let the rains stop. I saw several cars under water where they tried to drive through it, and I am talking about all the way up to the roof. It is pretty scary in some of those areas.