PDA

View Full Version : ESPN - Miami #1

soonerspudman
9/22/2009, 11:56 AM
Supppose this is good for the Sooners, but bad for sport journalism as this is an obvious and absurd attempt by the Disney Machine to pump up viewership for this weeks V. Tech game...

http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/ncf/index

rainiersooner
9/22/2009, 12:01 PM
Yeah, I've seen a lot of journalists vote USC ahead of OU...I mean, why let the facts get in the way of your biases?

jumperstop
9/22/2009, 12:48 PM
That guy has us ranked 15th behind OSU, the same OSU that struggled with NAVY!! But I guess people think that since they almost beat and overated SUC mankes them better than us. No worries OUr team will get a bump in the next few weeks because of OUr new highly ranked oppenent.

badger
9/22/2009, 01:03 PM
Yeah, I've seen a lot of journalists vote USC ahead of OU

Both of us have one loss. The difference?

USC has a quality win.
OU has a quality loss.

I have viewed the notion of having quality losses as complete and utter bullshizzle ever since Lester the Molester tried to convince pollsters that his team's two losses were in overtime and thus were actually ties.

On top of that, who gives a shiite about the polls right now?

BoulderSooner79
9/22/2009, 01:08 PM
I agree with Forde that rankings should be based on results and not pre-season hype. Having said that, 2 games is not a very large sample of results and I wouldn't put the Canes #1 - I'd probably go with 'Bama. The BCS gets it right in this case by not publishing rankings until the 5th weekend. We have nothing worry about rankings-wise given our future schedule - we just have to play our best. Even if 2 BCS teams go undefeated and we get left out of the title game with 1 loss, there is nothing to worry about because that situation is already out of our hands. (It's also unlikely).

Sooner-N-KS
9/22/2009, 01:37 PM
I don't have a problem with Miami moving up. The only argument against it is people saying they shouldn't move up so fast. The problem with that is who is to say that they should have been so low in preseason polls?

If people were to ignore previous polls and base their votes based on where teams are in week 3 don't you think that Miami has looked more impressive than Florida and Texas? OU, without Sam Bradford, has looked more impressive than Texas with the exception of their loss where they didn't look like themselves.

We shouldn't have polls until at least week 4 or 5.

bcgvh
9/22/2009, 01:39 PM
I agree with Forde that rankings should be based on results and not pre-season hype. Having said that, 2 games is not a very large sample of results and I wouldn't put the Canes #1 - I'd probably go with 'Bama. The BCS gets it right in this case by not publishing rankings until the 5th weekend. We have nothing worry about rankings-wise given our future schedule - we just have to play our best. Even if 2 BCS teams go undefeated and we get left out of the title game with 1 loss, there is nothing to worry about because that situation is already out of our hands. (It's also unlikely).

Really, the only team that could go undefeated and it matter is Penn State. Florida will lose along with everyone else, except maybe Boise State, but BSU won't get in cause they don't play anyone.

yermom
9/22/2009, 01:49 PM
I don't have a problem with Miami moving up. The only argument against it is people saying they shouldn't move up so fast. The problem with that is who is to say that they should have been so low in preseason polls?

If people were to ignore previous polls and base their votes based on where teams are in week 3 don't you think that Miami has looked more impressive than Florida and Texas? OU, without Sam Bradford, has looked more impressive than Texas with the exception of their loss where they didn't look like themselves.

We shouldn't have polls until at least week 4 or 5.

you sell less magazines/papers/commercials that way ;)

Sooner-N-KS
9/22/2009, 02:07 PM
you sell less magazines/papers/commercials that way ;)

I hear ya!

w0lfe
9/22/2009, 02:32 PM
He graduated from missouri, so the last two big 12 championship butt kickings is why he has us rated so low

budbarrybob
9/22/2009, 03:53 PM
The stupidity of Forde's "analysis" is that he still ranks Florida #4 although they have yet to play anyone of significance. Guess they get a pass for being so awesome to start.

AlbqSooner
9/22/2009, 06:16 PM
If you read the article closely you will see that these are "power rankings" which have a very different analysis than ranking the teams for such things as the Harris, Coaches, and AP polls. Those seldom match up with the power rankings.

Dan Thompson
9/22/2009, 06:58 PM
USC will knock Miami out of the #1 spot with a win over Washington State.

canes4ever
9/22/2009, 07:28 PM
Supppose this is good for the Sooners, but bad for sport journalism as this is an obvious and absurd attempt by the Disney Machine to pump up viewership for this weeks V. Tech game...

http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/ncf/index

I suspect the big FSU win over BYU was a huge factor,it gave a bit more credence to the UM win over FSU. I'd trade that rating for wins in the next 2 games.Hear Bradford is improving,good news,I think he skipped the NFL for a OU chance at the NC.