PDA

View Full Version : McChrystal To Resign If Not Given More Troops??

OklahomaTuba
9/22/2009, 09:48 AM
If true, I hope Obama gets this stuff figured out ASAP. I've got family over there....

In Kabul, some members of McChrystal's staff said they don't understand why Obama called Afghanistan a "war of necessity" but still hasn't given them the resources they need to turn things around quickly.

Three officers at the Pentagon and in Kabul told McClatchy that the McChrystal they know would resign before he'd stand behind a faltering policy that he thought would endanger his forces or the strategy.

"Yes, he'll be a good soldier, but he will only go so far," a senior official in Kabul said. "He'll hold his ground. He's not going to bend to political pressure."

On Thursday, Gates danced around the question of when the administration would be ready to receive McChrystal's request, which was completed in late August. "We're working through the process by which we want that submitted," he said。http://www.longwarjournal.org/threat-matrix/archives/2009/09/mcchrystal_to_resign_if_not_gi.php

JohnnyMack
9/22/2009, 09:53 AM
Cause getting Afghanistan "figured out" is such an easy thing to do.

OklahomaTuba
9/22/2009, 09:58 AM
Cause getting Afghanistan "figured out" is such an easy thing to do.Obviously it isn't, but getting weak in the knees about this isn't going to help anything.

And this was one area I was really supporting Obama on, winning Afghanistan.

JohnnyMack
9/22/2009, 10:00 AM
Obviously it isn't, but getting weak in the knees about this isn't going to help anything.

And this was one area I was really supporting Obama on, winning Afghanistan.

Were you supportive of W when he cut and ran from Afghanistan and got distracted in Iraq?

Oldnslo
9/22/2009, 10:06 AM
Land wars in Asia are a wonderful way to lose a game of Risk. And they also suck in real life.

OklahomaTuba
9/22/2009, 10:08 AM
Were you supportive of W when he cut and ran from Afghanistan and got distracted in Iraq?Was that before or after he blew up the trade centers and then blew up the levees in New Orleans to kill all the brown people??? I forget how all your delusions fit together...

JohnnyMack
9/22/2009, 10:09 AM
Land wars in Asia are a wonderful way to lose a game of Risk. And they also suck in real life.

http://slowmuse.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/wallace-shawn-vizzini.jpg

JohnnyMack
9/22/2009, 10:10 AM
Was that before or after he blew up the trade centers and then blew up the levees in New Orleans to kill all the brown people??? I forget how all you delusions fit together.

He didn't do either one of those things. Would you care to stay on point or would you rather just say "LOUD NOISES!" and offer up distractions?

OklahomaTuba
9/22/2009, 10:12 AM
He didn't do either one of those things. My point exactly.

JohnnyMack
9/22/2009, 10:17 AM
My point exactly.

Yeah. Clearly he did a real bang up job of maintaining focus and taking the fight to those who attacked us. Yep. Yessirree.

OklahomaTuba
9/22/2009, 10:19 AM
Yeah. Clearly he did a real bang up job of maintaining focus and taking the fight to those who attacked us. Yep. Yessirree.All I know is before Bush left office our Generals weren't saying we could lose the war, and now they are.

So what's Obama going to do about that?? Or will he just blame Bush and go run and hide like you do???

JohnnyMack
9/22/2009, 10:21 AM
All I know is before Bush left office our Generals weren't saying we could lose the war, and now they are.

So what's Obama going to do about that?? Or will he just blame Bush and go run and hide like you do???

R vs. D
R vs. D
R vs. D
R vs. D

That's really all you've got.

SoonerProphet
9/22/2009, 10:25 AM
All I know is before Bush left office our Generals weren't saying we could lose the war, and now they are.

all you know is what you've been told to rail on for rage of the day from little green footballs.

C&CDean
9/22/2009, 10:28 AM
Knock it off.

So, what is Obama gonna do here? What should he do here? Leave Bush out of it.

Carry on.

olevetonahill
9/22/2009, 10:36 AM
Knock it off.

So, what is Obama gonna do here? What should he do here? Leave Bush out of it.

Carry on.

No shat . This is Obama's to win or lose now.

Personally we should get the **** out of there if we are not going to Give the head Boot on the ground the tools he says he needs.
There is NO Political solution Only Force

C&CDean
9/22/2009, 10:40 AM
No shat . This is Obama's to win or lose now.

Personally we should get the **** out of there if we are not going to Give the head Boot on the ground the tools he says he needs.
There is NO Political solution Only Force

What?? Didn't we win Vietnam with decisions made by some goons at a boardroom table?:rolleyes:

It's time for Brack to **** or get the **** off the turlet. He's gone around the whole world apologizing for us and licking dictator boot and bootie, it's time for him to step up, or step the **** out.

My Opinion Matters
9/22/2009, 10:46 AM

Attack Ukraine! The Ukraine is weak!

OklahomaTuba
9/22/2009, 11:45 AM
all you know is what you've been told to rail on for rage of the day from little green footballs.And by little green footballs, I assume you also mean the washington post and wall street journal???

OklahomaTuba
9/22/2009, 11:47 AM
R vs. D
R vs. D
R vs. D
R vs. D

That's really all you've got.You do realize you're the one who brought W into this, not me, right???

But I do love how you're trying so hard to believe Obama has nothing to do with any of this, when McChrystal is Obama's hand-picked guy trying to execute the Obama approved strategy.

Seriously, I hope Obama proves me wrong and shows he has half the spine W has.

JohnnyMack
9/22/2009, 12:16 PM
You do realize you're the one who brought W into this, not me, right???

But I do love how you're trying so hard to believe Obama has nothing to do with any of this, when McChrystal is Obama's hand-picked guy trying to execute the Obama approved strategy.

Seriously, I hope Obama proves me wrong and shows he has half the spine W has.

Our foreign policy in a post 09/11 Afghanistan is 90% related to W's decisions and about 10% related to BHO. As time goes by the burden more clearly shifts to the sitting POTUS, but your suggestion that some pie in the sky notion of victory or defeat in the region is placed solely on the shoulders of Obama is yet another of your typical absurdities.

olevetonahill
9/22/2009, 12:33 PM
Our foreign policy in a post 09/11 Afghanistan is 90% related to W's decisions and about 10% related to BHO. As time goes by the burden more clearly shifts to the sitting POTUS, but your suggestion that some pie in the sky notion of victory or defeat in the region is placed solely on the shoulders of Obama is yet another of your typical absurdities.

But it is his baby and has been for 9 months now :rolleyes:

JohnnyMack
9/22/2009, 12:36 PM
But it is his baby and has been for 9 months now :rolleyes:

If you come in out of the bullpen, down 6 - 4 in the ninth with the bases loaded and nobody out and you lose, you don't get the loss.

yermom
9/22/2009, 12:45 PM
how exactly do you "win" in Afghanistan?

C&CDean
9/22/2009, 01:05 PM
If you come in out of the bullpen, down 6 - 4 in the ninth with the bases loaded and nobody out and you lose, you don't get the loss.

Dude, Afghanistan was the Double-A game, and was a 1-1 tie in about the third inning. Your boy has made it his major league game now. Only he's not giving the team players they need to win the championship.

OklahomaTuba
9/22/2009, 01:08 PM
but your suggestion that some pie in the sky notion of victory or defeat in the region is placed solely on the shoulders of Obama is yet another of your typical absurdities.So what you're saying is that if Obama flip flops on Obama's approved strategy for Afghanistan, that's Bush's fault???

You realize how f'king stupid that sounds, even for you, right????

OklahomaTuba
9/22/2009, 01:09 PM
how exactly do you "win" in Afghanistan?You vote present and hide under your desk I guess. Or maybe make a speech.

SoonerProphet
9/22/2009, 01:29 PM
You vote present and hide under your desk I guess. Or maybe make a speech.

Is that the same response McChrystal has planned for the NSA?

Double A game or not the place is a tar baby, has been for thousands of years. How many troops and how many dollars are we going to pour into the place? What exactly will it solve and how does it advance our national security?

yermom
9/22/2009, 01:35 PM
and they have no real centralized government, right?

other than walling it off and not letting any heroin or terrorists out, i'm not sure what you can declare a "win" there

JohnnyMack
9/22/2009, 02:06 PM
So what you're saying is that if Obama flip flops on Obama's approved strategy for Afghanistan, that's Bush's fault???

You realize how f'king stupid that sounds, even for you, right????

What I'm saying that things like foreign policy are in fact bigger than one man. Now clearly if Obama makes some radical changes to our current policy than the onus shifts more towards him. He owns it a little bit more each day. But to deny the role a previous administration plays in how a new administration goes about handling situations such as these is foolish.

JohnnyMack
9/22/2009, 02:09 PM
Is that the same response McChrystal has planned for the NSA?

Double A game or not the place is a tar baby, has been for thousands of years. How many troops and how many dollars are we going to pour into the place? What exactly will it solve and how does it advance our national security?

I think the time to advance our national security in that region has been lost. There was a window in which W could have struck with more ferocity and less ground forces and tried to send a more substantial message than the one he gave. In my opinion our effort Afghanistan should have never been about nation building, rather it should have been more punitive in nature.

SoonerProphet
9/22/2009, 02:25 PM
I think the time to advance our national security in that region has been lost. There was a window in which W could have struck with more ferocity and less ground forces and tried to send a more substantial message than the one he gave. In my opinion our effort Afghanistan should have never been about nation building, rather it should have been more punitive in nature.

How would that have solved the problem? It is the wild west there, it has no central authority, just shootin' up a buncha bad guy hangouts wouldn't have really enhanced the situation.

JohnnyMack
9/22/2009, 02:47 PM
How would that have solved the problem? It is the wild west there, it has no central authority, just shootin' up a buncha bad guy hangouts wouldn't have really enhanced the situation.

I didn't say I was interested in enhancing their situation. I said I thought they should have been paid back tenfold.

SoonerProphet
9/22/2009, 02:48 PM
I didn't say I was interested in enhancing their situation. I said I thought they should have been paid back tenfold.

Right on!! Is that just to make us feel better?:confused:

JohnnyMack
9/22/2009, 02:53 PM
Right on!! Is that just to make us feel better?:confused:

What would have been your solution?

SoonerProphet
9/22/2009, 02:58 PM
What would have been your solution?

No, I think you make valid points...anything other than trying to build a nation as we in the West know it would have been better. Just don't know how effective that is in terms of trying to deal with the issue of enterprising criminal gangs intent on blowing themselves up in New York, Bali, or wherever.

OklahomaTuba
9/22/2009, 03:13 PM
How many troops and how many dollars are we going to pour into the place? What exactly will it solve and how does it advance our national security?Well, ignoring it worked out well for us before 2001. You really think cutting and running will work out any better??

OklahomaTuba
9/22/2009, 03:15 PM
Now clearly if Obama makes some radical changes to our current policy than the onus shifts more towards him.Are you not understanding that he already did make radical changes??? This is all about Obama's own strategy in Afghanistan, not Bush's.

OklahomaTuba
9/22/2009, 03:20 PM
Just don't know how effective that is in terms of trying to deal with the issue of enterprising criminal gangs intent on blowing themselves up in New York, Bali, or wherever.So again, what would Prophet do? Stick the ol'head in the sand, grab your ankles and hope the bad men go away like we did pre-2001, or actually try to do something about it which has kept the country safe since???

IMO, we need to double our efforts like we did in Iraq and let the military do their job, or go home and get ready for the next attack.

SoonerProphet
9/22/2009, 03:21 PM
Well, ignoring it worked out well for us before 2001. You really think cutting and running will work out any better??

Well, I feel it is a matter of opinion as to whether our DC overlords "ignored" the problem or just plain f*cked it up prior to 9/11. I think it was and is well known that OBL and AQ had designs and continue to have designs on attacking US interests. If you feel that pouring tons of money and wasting military power to try and get a group of tajiks, pashtuns, and the like to think like we do in the west is a good idea, well, quite frankly I disagree.

Boarder
9/22/2009, 03:23 PM
Well, ignoring it worked out well for us before 2001. You really think cutting and running will work out any better??
If ignoring it, cutting and running, and pouring troops' lives (and money we apparently don't have) into it all have the same result, would you not then choose the path of least cost?

If one could produce a "win" for us, then it would be best to choose that, right?

Which brings us back to the question, "What constitutes a win?"

JohnnyMack
9/22/2009, 03:27 PM
If ignoring it, cutting and running, and pouring troops' lives (and money we apparently don't have) into it all have the same result, would you not then choose the path of least cost?

**** no. He's a conservative.

JohnnyMack
9/22/2009, 03:29 PM
Are you not understanding that he already did make radical changes??? This is all about Obama's own strategy in Afghanistan, not Bush's.

Please. Elaborate.

OklahomaTuba
9/22/2009, 03:32 PM

If one could produce a "win" for us, then it would be best to choose that, right?

Which brings us back to the question, "What constitutes a win?"For me, a win is simple, the total defeat of AQ and the Taliban. If that doesn't happen, then we risk more attacks like 9/11 or worse (AQ Khan anybody?).

OklahomaTuba
9/22/2009, 03:35 PM
Please. Elaborate.Really?? Is it really that hard for you??? Good lord..

“I believe that our mission [in Afghanistan] requires new thinking and new approaches from our military leaders,” Gates told reporters. “Today, we have a new policy set by our new president. We have a new strategy, a new mission and a new ambassador. I believe that new military leadership is needed.”http://www.defenselink.mil/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=54289

JohnnyMack
9/22/2009, 03:43 PM
So you don't actually know what the new strategy is, do you?

OklahomaTuba
9/22/2009, 03:50 PM
So you don't actually know what the new strategy is, do you?Depends on which one, the one from 6 months ago (http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/Remarks-by-the-President-on-a-New-Strategy-for-Afghanistan-and-Pakistan/), or the new super secret one that even our top general in Afghanistan doesn't seem to know about????

I'm thinking that every day Obama is maybe a little less Jimmy Carter, and just a full blown re-hash of LBJ.

OklahomaTuba
9/22/2009, 04:04 PM
Ouch..

Krauthammer's Take [NRO Staff]
From last night's Fox News All-Stars.

On Obama’s lack of response to the McChrystal memo on Afghanistan:

Well, I think what's really important here are two dates. The first is August 30. That's when the McChrystal report was sent to Washington. That is three weeks ago. Obama has had a single meeting [on that report] since then.

He says he hasn't reached a conclusion — I suppose because he is spending all his time preparing for Letterman and speeches to schoolchildren — to focus on a war in which our soldiers are in the field getting shot at and, as the president himself is saying, without a strategy.

Now, the other date is the 27th of March, when Obama gave a speech in the White House flanked by his Secretaries of Defense and State, in which he said, and I will read you this, because it is as if it never happened, "Today I'm announcing a comprehensive new strategy for Afghanistan and Pakistan."

So we for six months have been living under the new Obama strategy, of which he says today we have none. And his next sentence is, again in March, "This marks the conclusion of a careful policy review" — not the beginning, the end of the policy review.

So it has been his policy, and now he tells us we don't have a cart and we don't have a horse.

What's happening here is he announced the strategy of counterinsurgency in March. He said at the time that we “cannot afford” an “Afghanistan that slides [back] into chaos.”

He said "My message to the terrorists who oppose us — We will defeat you," And now he's not sure he wants to defeat them.http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=ZjM3YTQ2Yzk5MGUyZjcyZWFhMDNjNjYwZWI1YzMyNjc=

Okla-homey
9/22/2009, 08:55 PM
More Americans, per capita, died violent deaths in DC than have in Afghanistan over the last two years. I say we pull out of DC and leave it to the natives.

ouwasp
9/23/2009, 11:57 PM
Haven't read much of the back-and-forth....saw it was degenerating...

Here's my take: Yes, General McChrystal should resign if his advice is not followed; get a commander in there that feels he can win with Obama's game plan.

I know this doesn't exactly line up w/ the current thinking, but I say give 'em a lot more bullets. A lot more. And ROE to use them liberally. While they're at it, find some of the left over Agent Orange and get after the poppy fields...

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/24/2009, 01:21 AM
Dude, Afghanistan was the Double-A game, and was a 1-1 tie in about the third inning. Your boy has made it his major league game now. Only he's not giving the team players they need to win the championship.For a LONG time, the left has been whining about how the US is perfectly justified in fighting in Afghanistan, and we should do all we can there, because Osama and his terrorists were trained there, etc., and GO GO GO BOYS in Afghanistan. Let's clean 'em up there in Afghanistan...how sad, and NEGLIGENT for America to neglect the war in Afghanistan!