The season premier was on tonight.

The show is toast.

Fraggle145
9/22/2009, 12:17 AM
I hope not :(

I like that show.

setem
9/22/2009, 12:29 AM
Why! It was a great season opener! How I Met Your Mother was great too!

Kelly Cuoco is ****ing hot!

Leroy Lizard
9/22/2009, 12:37 AM
Well, let me put it to you this way:

Leonard beds down Penny, so she has no real use on the show anymore (other than to look hot).

Leonard, Raj, and Howard provide fake data to Sheldon, humiliating him to the point where he resigns from the university. (Niiiiiiiice!)

Sheldon is shown to have feelings, and is even crying in one scene. In fact, he is the sympathetic character. How did that happen?

The only savings grace of the premiere was the return of Sheldon's mother. And Howard came through okay. (He will probably bed down Sheldon's mother in the next episode. Gotta' get them ratings up, ya' know.)

The only way to save the show is to replace Leonard's character. Have D.J. Qualls play Sheldon's new roommate and elevate Howard's character to more prominence.

And please get rid of that Leslie Winkle character!

This is what you get when you try to drive up ratings for a show's premiere and are willing to sacrifice all character development to do it. (I would strongly suggest that the writers quit reading fan mail from adolescent girls.)

Leroy Lizard
9/22/2009, 12:40 AM
BTW, the show WAS funny. But the shows days are marked. Once the writers start playing to the (adolescent) crowd, kiss it goodbye.

And what Raj, Howard, and Leonard did to Sheldon was beyond cruel and not a bit funny. I think the Penny of last year would have thrown Leonard out of her apartment when she found out, but we gotta' have sex to drive up the ratings.

There is another way to save the show: Dream sequence, aka, "it never happened."

setem
9/22/2009, 12:51 AM
He forgave the guys and all is back to normal. Sheldon is not going anywhere. He may have left the university but I am sure they will have something cooky for him to do. I dont think Sheldon's mother is a concrete character now.

Penny and Leonard will not banging anymore because it us weird. I am sure they will go back to the same game they always play. I think they left the possibilities wide open so who knows where the show will go. How I met your mother, 2 and 1/2 men and Big Bang Theory are no Friends or Seinfeild but they are solid and will last a few more seasons.

Leroy Lizard
9/22/2009, 02:27 AM
He forgave the guys and all is back to normal.

I don't think he forgave them, just went back to Pasadena with them. And how do you forgive them for doing something like that, especially since they show no real remorse for doing it?

Leonard ruined Sheldon's career, and still only cared about bedding down Penny.

The writers will probably contrive some way to resurrect Sheldon's career. Pathetic.

Sheldon is not going anywhere. He may have left the university but I am sure they will have something cooky for him to do.

The mystique is gone. Despite his failings, Sheldon was in fact an asexual, emotionless genius. THAT was the humor of the show. Now he's a sensitive laughing stock who even curled up in a fetal position and cried. Is that the Sheldon we know?

Penny and Leonard will not banging anymore because it us weird.

That's not the point. The mystique is gone. Half the show was based on Leonard's pent-up sexual frustration with trying to score with Penny. All gone now.

If the writers were going to screw up the show, they did exactly what they needed to do. Make Sheldon sensitive and have Leonard bang Penny. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Big Bang Theory is gradually turning into Friends. Shudder.

The season premiere next year will have Sheldon and Penny going at it, then the shark jump will be complete.

If I'm Jim Parson's agent, I begin looking for another vehicle at the end of the season.

I am sure they will go back to the same game they always play. I think they left the possibilities wide open so who knows where the show will go. How I met your mother, 2 and 1/2 men and Big Bang Theory are no Friends or Seinfeild but they are solid and will last a few more seasons.

It will hang around far longer than that, but it will lose its sophistication as the writers attempt to keep the excitement going. The show will suck in about year from now. Each season premiere will try to outdo the previous one. Next year, Sheldon beds Penny. Mark it down.

Fraggle145
9/22/2009, 02:35 AM
The mystique is gone. Despite his failings, Sheldon was in fact an asexual, emotionless genius. THAT was the humor of the show. Now he's a sensitive laughing stock who even curled up in a fetal position and cried. Is that the Sheldon we know?

When he was sick... just sayin'

Leroy Lizard
9/22/2009, 04:20 AM
No, he didn't cry when he was sick. In fact, he just became even more annoying than usual, and it was part of the comic effect. His crying in the premiere was not comical at all.

Now that TV Guide has bought out Jump the Shark, the new cry is Bone the Fish. Well, the fish got boned tonight.

Fraggle145
9/22/2009, 10:09 AM
http://www.efn.org/~cschatz/fishbone/Pictures/fishbone_poster.jpg

setem
9/22/2009, 10:25 AM
I thought it was hilarious that he got so worked up over missing comic-con and the new Star Trek.

Do you have some inside info that we don't know? You seem to be putting a lot into this premier and taking it pretty hard. I am not arguing with what you are saying but it just seems like you have put a lot of emotion in the the Big Band Theory. That being said...I have always thought it would make for some humor if Sheldon and Penny shacked up.

I think they needed to take the guys in different directions and they are doing that in a good way if you ask me. As funny as Sheldon is his scientific rambling can only go so far. I hate the dewd wif a wisp and I hope he never comes back to the show. I think there should be a new permanent hot female on the show.

I have no clue where they will take it and I can only give my prediction. I think they are taking the show in a exciting direction and we should all enjoy the journey.

What do you think about the new show Accidentally on Purpose? The show was pretty funny but that story line only has so much time. Unless she becomes like Patricia Tilly's character on Family Guy and never has her baby. I know last season she did but it has taken this long to get it done. I don't think this is that kind of show.

Cleveland show is going to be stellar if you ask me!

Salt City Sooner
9/22/2009, 10:51 AM
BTW, the show WAS funny. But the shows days are marked. Once the writers start playing to the (adolescent) crowd, kiss it goodbye.

And what Raj, Howard, and Leonard did to Sheldon was beyond cruel and not a bit funny. I think the Penny of last year would have thrown Leonard out of her apartment when she found out, but we gotta' have sex to drive up the ratings.

There is another way to save the show: Dream sequence, aka, "it never happened."
I'm thinking that ain't in the plans. I fast forwarded through my viewing guide to next week. The show description:

The Jiminy Conjecture. Penny and Leonard try to recover from an awkward hookup; Howard and Sheldon make a high stakes bet.

soonerbrat
9/22/2009, 12:05 PM
never watched an entire episode of that show...but I did recognize the one guy that was the Knight in "Garden State"

mdklatt
9/22/2009, 12:24 PM
Half the show was based on Leonard's pent-up sexual frustration with trying to score with Penny. All gone now.

I am really, really disappointed with that development. However, I'm not ready to throw the show under the bus just yet. There's still going to be tension between Leonard and Penny now, just a different kind of tension.

As for making Sheldon a sympathetic character, if they kept showing him as a complete dic...kensian (heh) you'd really start to wonder why the hell he had any friends at all. I hate it when TV characters become one-dimensional caricatures. Look at the progression (regression?) of Michael Scott on the The Office. It's gotten to the point now where he's such a complete dumbass that you wonder why he hasn't been fired by now or how he got that job in the first place.

mdklatt
9/22/2009, 12:27 PM
What do you think about the new show Accidentally on Purpose?

Meh. Interesting idea, and it had its moments, but my prediction is FAIL.

mdklatt
9/22/2009, 12:28 PM
P.S. Laurie Metcalf is cougarific.

Gresho Murford
9/22/2009, 01:17 PM
Look at the progression (regression?) of Michael Scott on the The Office. It's gotten to the point now where he's such a complete dumbass that you wonder why he hasn't been fired by now or how he got that job in the first place.

He is still there b/c his branch has the highest selling numbers of the company.

Leroy Lizard
9/22/2009, 01:41 PM
I thought it was hilarious that he got so worked up over missing comic-con and the new Star Trek.

Yes, the show was funny.

Do you have some inside info that we don't know? You seem to be putting a lot into this premier and taking it pretty hard. I am not arguing with what you are saying but it just seems like you have put a lot of emotion in the the Big Band Theory.

Don't even start that, because I know where you're going. Your next call will be to "lighten up" and "it's only a show."

That being said...I have always thought it would make for some humor if Sheldon and Penny shacked up.

For that one show, sure. But that's the problem: the writers are sacrificing long-term character development for one-time ratings boosts. And that is almost why show bones the fish.

Remember what happened when Married with Children added the kid? Complete slide to the point where they had to write the kid out of the show.

Don't screw with a show's dynamics.

I think they needed to take the guys in different directions and they are doing that in a good way if you ask me. As funny as Sheldon is his scientific rambling can only go so far. I hate the dewd wif a wisp and I hope he never comes back to the show. I think there should be a new permanent hot female on the show.

Awww man, if you want hot chicks, go watch the Playboy Channel. This is a comedy of impressive creativity. If they're going to parade hot chicks around for eye candy, why not just go back to Charlie's Angels?

I have no clue where they will take it and I can only give my prediction. I think they are taking the show in a exciting direction and we should all enjoy the journey.

It's too bad you didn't get a chance to read the Jump the Shark page before it jumped the shark. (Perhaps you did.) The most common theme that ran through the demise of each show was "We wanted to take the show in a new direction." So the characters marry each other, new children get introduced, and so on.

I didn't see Accidentally on Purpose. I don't watch tv except for Big Bang Theory. In about a year, I probably won't be watching tv at all since Leonard and Raj will be revealed to be gay lovers, Sheldon will marry Penny, and Howard will probably contract a terminal disease.

Gresho Murford
9/22/2009, 01:49 PM
About the only show that I think will succeed in talking a new direction is Scrubs

batonrougesooner
9/22/2009, 02:36 PM
I'm disappointed. I thought this was going to be a creationism thread.

the_ouskull
9/22/2009, 02:54 PM
Now that is funny.

the_ouskull

stoopified
9/22/2009, 04:00 PM
I think some people are overanalyzing ,I think the writers do have a plan in changing character dynamics and if it backfires.so what.All shows end,even GUIDING LIGHT.The important things is at least we got some enjoyment out of THE BIG BANG.Usually it is over in a couple of minutes. :D

soonerbrat
9/22/2009, 04:09 PM
P.S. Laurie Metcalf is cougarific.

wasn't she Roseanne's sister in Roseanne?

mdklatt
9/22/2009, 04:12 PM
wasn't she Roseanne's sister in Roseanne?

Yep, "Jackie".

Leroy Lizard
9/22/2009, 04:20 PM
I think some people are overanalyzing ,I think the writers do have a plan in changing character dynamics and if it backfires.so what.

That's like saying, "Sure, our QB threw the pick and it got returned for a TD, and OU is going to lose, but so what? It's only a game." We're fans. Analysis is what we do.

I love the Big Bang Theory and I don't want to see it turn to crap.

Fraggle145
9/22/2009, 04:28 PM
BTW, Scrubs sucks. I never could get into it. They had the one funny doctor who hated the world. The main character is a *****.

mdklatt
9/22/2009, 04:31 PM
BTW, Scrubs sucks. I never could get into it. They had the one funny doctor who hated the world. The main character is a *****.

And his "big-deal" movie succs.

Gresho Murford
9/22/2009, 04:39 PM

that is blasphemous

LosAngelesSooner
9/22/2009, 04:57 PM
I never liked the show. Never thought it was written well. And I'm surprised it hasn't been canceled yet.

I mean...they cancel Kings, but not BBT? WFT?

kbsooner21
9/22/2009, 05:31 PM
What happened to Rules of Engagement? I liked that one. 2.5 men the best show going these days btw

GottaHavePride
9/22/2009, 08:51 PM

Scrubs season one was comedy genius. Seasons 2 through whatever have been meh.

Leroy Lizard
9/29/2009, 12:13 AM

Yep, that is exactly what they did with the whole "Sheldon Gets Humiliated at the University" subplot. I called it.

Well not fully, because in the meantime we get barraged with the Leonard-Penny soap opera. Even my daughter groaned when the camera cut to those two. Well, I guess they have to sell more products to young females.

Right now, Howard and Sheldon are carrying the show. They were funny. The bit with the cricket bet was funny. Real funny.

Leonard and Penny were not. Boring melodrama worthy of a chick flick.

To save the show, cut Leonard's character completely out before the show turns into Days of Our Lives. (I have a great idea: Have Sheldon do the right thing by blowing Leonard's brains out for ruining his reputation at the university.) Replace him with Cousin Leo played by D.J. Qualls. Elevate Howard to co-star status and, most importantly, keep the romantic crap out of my favorite show!