PDA

View Full Version : LNC

w0lfe
9/21/2009, 02:05 PM
Now that OU has pumped in millions for the stadium and for the locker rooms and all that, would anyone else like to see the next major project at OU to be a renovated LNC? I think it should be

soonerguild
9/21/2009, 04:20 PM
YES, YES, YES!!!

The fans and players both deserve a basketball only arena, LNC is old and outdated. Also, if for anything else, to show Capel we care, he is tearing up the recruiting circuit, and I want him to be here for awhile. OU athletics is at an all time high and a new arena is a must.

soonervegas
9/21/2009, 05:10 PM
I think they need to invest in some better fans.

Boomer.....
9/22/2009, 07:21 AM
The fan base is getting better.

They have recently pumped in millions on the practice center attached to the LNC. We need a new arena which is more "basketball friendly" but that can't be done without disturbing the new practice facility.

w0lfe
9/22/2009, 07:47 AM
I agree with that boomer, but Im sure they could find something to use that practice facility for. I was in there when I graduated this past may and it is nice, but I'm sure a huge part of the cost was the wood floors for the courts. Both courts felt just as good as the actually game court. I say they make the steep walls, so it feels like you are right on top of the game. This also makes it louder inside. And for God's sake, they need to brighten the place. I think they should also cut the seats by about a thousand or two, help increase demand.

King Crimson
9/22/2009, 08:01 AM
the decision to build the practice facility was a hasty one designed to keep Kelvin after the Final Four year. in essence, it's married us to the LNC site for a while. i'm not a LNC basher, but it would be nice if the university reached the decision that we've got our money's worth for the 30 years the LNC has given us and built a new basketball-style gym a la the new one at UVA or USC.

but, i don't see it happening anytime soon.

Boomer.....
9/22/2009, 08:05 AM
Problem is, where would you put it? It would take over a year to build so you would need to keep the LNC open in the mean time.

w0lfe
9/22/2009, 08:55 AM
I dont know where they would put it. I would love for them to put it somewhere on campus a little closer to the stadium, but i dont see where they could do that at. I get season tix to the LNC every year and I would just like to see it a little more up to date. I can assure you, recruits look at stuff like that. Who wants to see those ugly orange seats anyways

Gresho Murford
9/22/2009, 01:34 PM
Who wants to see those ugly orange seats anyways
Careful...some people, for some reason, bitch me out when I say they are orange.

w0lfe
9/22/2009, 02:59 PM
Careful...some people, for some reason, bitch me out when I say they are orange.
Sorry... Those Red+yellow paint mixed seats

Collier11
9/22/2009, 08:23 PM
A bball only arena on CAMPUS!!! Use the LNC for Katrina refugees

SoonerDutch
9/23/2009, 12:10 AM
As a student it would be great if they had a basketball only arena on campus, like where McCasland is. But I really don't want a LNC relocation fee added onto my tuition.

Collier11
9/23/2009, 12:12 AM
want nice things, they gotta be paid for

w0lfe
9/23/2009, 07:46 AM
As a student it would be great if they had a basketball only arena on campus, like where McCasland is. But I really don't want a LNC relocation fee added onto my tuition.

Be sure to use the library and printers around campus, cause if you look at your bursar, you get charged about 50 bucks for those printers lol. And a beautification fee. Anyways, i still wish they could do something with McCasland. But I doubt they will ever renovate that place.

Petro-Sooner
9/23/2009, 07:57 PM
I dont know where they would put it. I would love for them to put it somewhere on campus a little closer to the stadium, but i dont see where they could do that at. I get season tix to the LNC every year and I would just like to see it a little more up to date. I can assure you, recruits look at stuff like that. Who wants to see those ugly orange seats anyways

IF they were to build something new in the future how about to the east of the LNC and north of the weather center? All of that is OU property.

Boomer.....
9/24/2009, 07:27 AM
They are building new buildings in that area and I'm sure that lot just east of Jenkins will be used also.

w0lfe
9/24/2009, 08:01 AM
Yeah i really dont think there is anywhere they could rebuild one. I guess they could just do a super massive renovation to lloyd noble, but i doubt they could do all that in a year.

Collier11
9/24/2009, 08:51 AM
LNC doesnt need a renovation, it needs to be gutted

primetime43
9/24/2009, 09:13 AM
LNC doesnt need a renovation, it needs to be gutted

I'll go one step further. It needs to be torn down. This arena is not meant to have basketball. Louisiana Tech where I went has the exact same problem. Outdated and not basketball friendly. The seating is terrible for acoustics because you don't have one big section and there are no seats behind the backboards.

Boomer.....
9/24/2009, 09:15 AM
I could still be gutted and rebuilt from the inside. They need steeper sides to get the place louder. Look at what OSU did with Gallager Iba.

Collier11
9/24/2009, 09:54 AM
too bad the "greatest fans in college basketball" dont show up to the games anymore, LOL

Gresho Murford
9/24/2009, 10:02 AM
I actually think LNC is an awesome place to watch basketball. It gets plenty loud. The problem is the fans

Sooner04
9/24/2009, 10:03 AM
All the people bitching about OU basketball fans must not have shown up last year.

Collier11
9/24/2009, 10:08 AM
I showed up and the fans still sucked, I watched atleast 2000 fans leaving with about 5 minutes to go in the Kansas game when we were trying like hell to come back, I watched everyone leave 10 minutes early against USC to beat the traffic, etc...

Sooner04
9/24/2009, 10:14 AM
Kinda like the football games.

Collier11
9/24/2009, 10:18 AM
So then you agree, we have a segment albeit a small segment of really bad fans. The problem is it is easier to spot out of 10 grand as opposed to 85 grand

Sooner04
9/24/2009, 10:23 AM
[shrug]

I've been going to the LNC since I was in the womb and last year's support was the best I've seen in at least 15 years. Far and away better than anything in the last ten.

Collier11
9/24/2009, 10:34 AM
Dont get me wrong, the crowds were big, lowd, and proud. I just get so sick of OU fans, especially at the hoops games leaving early, especially when the game isnt over yet and is still close or fairly close

soonervegas
9/24/2009, 10:48 AM
There is nothing wrong with the LNC.......it is just hip to bash it when many people who bash don't even attend regularly. Fact is build a new stadium and after the new wears off it will be the same 8,000-10,000 during conference play and the same 4,500 against Backwoods State.

w0lfe
9/24/2009, 11:58 AM
I am one that has been going for 13 years now, and I have yet to leave 1 game before the final buzzer. I for one, think that the LNC does need to be re-done. You dont think when recruits walk in there after visiting, say GIA, they dont have a negative reaction?

jkjsooner
9/25/2009, 11:18 AM
I could still be gutted and rebuilt from the inside. They need steeper sides to get the place louder. Look at what OSU did with Gallager Iba.

OSU didn't exactly choose to build so steep. The original GIA had very steep stands and they used the existing stands when they expanded. You can't build up at a lower pitch and as you go up the pitch has to increase slightly.

Anyway, it's almost impossible to watch games on TV from GIA without getting nauseated. Forget that.

We need to get OU fans closer to the court. They did as good as they could during the last renovation but it's just not good enough.

King Crimson
9/25/2009, 11:23 AM
Anyway, it's almost impossible to watch games on TV from GIA without getting nauseated. Forget that.

it's like they put the camera in a helicopter.

Boomer.....
9/25/2009, 11:54 AM
It was real bad during the first few years but I think they have found a better camera spot which isn't above the floor.

stoopified
9/28/2009, 01:57 PM
For all its faults The LNC is still the best homecourt adavatage in the Big 12,best winning percentage of all existing Big 12 arenas.

w0lfe
9/29/2009, 09:01 AM
For all its faults The LNC is still the best homecourt adavatage in the Big 12,best winning percentage of all existing Big 12 arenas.
I dont know the exact percentages, but it would be hard to argue against Phog Allen Fieldhouse.

SeattleOUstudent
9/29/2009, 11:42 AM

Yeah, Id have to go with Allen Fieldhouse on this one.

w0lfe
9/29/2009, 01:58 PM
Also, thank god they got rid of the Crimzone. I thought that was a waste of space.

We need to get OU fans closer to the court. They did as good as they could during the last renovation but it's just not good enough.
This they do need to do. I just dont know how much renovation they could do in a year. I doubt if they did a major one that it would be finished in a year

stoopified
9/29/2009, 02:54 PM
I dont know the exact percentages, but it would be hard to argue against Phog Allen Fieldhouse.I did a search a couple of years ago and verified with an asist from others that OU does INDEED have the highest winning % of all current Bi12 homecourts including the hallowed Allen Feildhouse.If I get ambitious I will dig up the thread.

stoopified
9/29/2009, 03:05 PM
Ok I dug the thread up and you can check the records yourselves.

w0lfe
9/29/2009, 03:19 PM
Awesome stuff. Now why doesnt the Atheletic Department see this and want to pump some money into this place

okiewaker
9/30/2009, 06:00 PM
Ok I dug the thread up and you can check the records yourselves.

Great research. Another thing I noticed, but hadn't really thought about, was the longevity of the coaches. I guess around an average of 10 years or so. I wish we could see the attendance numbers for the B12 from it's inception. I wonder how we stack up to others.

w0lfe
10/2/2009, 11:46 AM
I wonder how much Capel has pushed to have the LNC renovated