PDA

View Full Version : one thought about the usc/wash game

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/21/2009, 01:34 PM
one of the more interesting things about USC has always been how polished they are in early season games and how prepared they are in bowl games.

they are one of the few schools that i've ever seen that can put a true/rs freshman out on the field who has a grasp of a good chunk of their offense.

they have very, very few missed assignments on defense early in the season. this isn't a recent phenomenon either, i remember being wowed by the defensive preparation going back to 2000ish in those early games against kstate (where the scores were like 3-0 and 6-3). kstate was clearly the better team, but USC was always in position.

basically they start strong, are up and down through the season based on injuries, and then finish strong in the bowl game. i didn't get to watch as much of the game as i wanted (as i was watching OU), but i saw locker take advantage of mayes replacement several times.

i hate using the NFL as a comparison, but it isn't as if their overall talent level is leaps and bounds ahead of anyone else. they have several that are flat out monsters, but it isn't as many as miami had. their overall talent level may be top 5 in the country, but it isn't as if it there is this astronomical gap between where they are and where a top 10 team might be.

anyway, a hypothesis - based on the NCAA recruiting violations by kiffin and sarkisian in their first week on the job, i have to wonder if petey hasn't been dipping into a different well. one that would provide much, much more benefit than recruiting violations.

what if he were actually taking his starters and doing monitored coaching sessions with them during voluntary "meetings"? what if instead of 45 hours worth of practice time in the spring, they were actually at 90? what if during the summer they were running self-directed skelly drills for 3 days and coaching monitored for 2 days? and what if, sarkisian did the same thing and just stung petey with it?

beer4me
9/21/2009, 01:38 PM
OH the humanity of it all. usuc do sumptn wrong say it ain't so ;)

OKLA21FAN
9/21/2009, 01:44 PM
http://14.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kq8u5ivlAt1qa3i8uo1_500.jpg

JLEW1818
9/21/2009, 01:46 PM
Pete chokes for the talent he has. sure he wins his bowl games because THEY ARE AlWAYS IN HIS BACK YARD!

Scott D
9/21/2009, 02:08 PM
like it or not jlew, Pete is 2-0 in bowl appearances in Miami, which is better than his NFL record there. ;)

NormanPride
9/21/2009, 02:09 PM
Then why do they look terrible against bad teams? Even with injuries, if they practiced that much they would kill crappy teams on talent alone.

8timechamps
9/21/2009, 02:17 PM
I tend to agree somewhat. However, I do think that USC tends to have talent (and depth of talent) that most teams just don't have.

My feeling has always been that Pete is much more of a salesman/best friend to his players, and leaves the coaching up to guys that really have a grasp on how to use their talent.

The loss of Chow hurt USC for a bit, and I think the loss of Sarkisian had a similar effect.

As for UW surprising win, I think they were helped more by Sarkisian's familiarity with the system and athletes than anything. My guess is that UW will end up with 3-4 losses. He can turn that program around, but last weekend's win wasn't an acurate reflection of where that team truly is.

Gresho Murford
9/21/2009, 02:25 PM
As for UW surprising win, I think they were helped more by Sarkisian's familiarity with the system and athletes than anything. My guess is that UW will end up with 3-4 losses. He can turn that program around, but last weekend's win wasn't an acurate reflection of where that team truly is.

He has done a hell of a job so far...werent they the ones that almost beat LSU this year?

8timechamps
9/21/2009, 02:41 PM
He has done a hell of a job so far...werent they the ones that almost beat LSU this year?

Yeah, they played LSU close.

He's going to get UW into a position to contend for the PAC 10 each season.

UW had talent when he got there. Locker was a popular pick as "a player to watch" prior to last year's season. As we all know, it didn't work out for him.

Willingham is a great recruiter. He's proven that just about everywhere he's been, so for Sark, he had some weapons to work with. They just needed some coaching and motivation.

Give him two years and I think they will be a top ten team.

Jacie
9/21/2009, 03:19 PM
It doesn't hurt that Jake Locker finally has a chance to be the player everyone recruited.

44BluesExplosion
9/21/2009, 04:10 PM
That's the rumor...

SoonerDood
9/21/2009, 04:52 PM
That and all the roids.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/21/2009, 05:54 PM
Yeah, they played LSU close.

He's going to get UW into a position to contend for the PAC 10 each season.

UW had talent when he got there. Locker was a popular pick as "a player to watch" prior to last year's season. As we all know, it didn't work out for him.

Willingham is a great recruiter. He's proven that just about everywhere he's been, so for Sark, he had some weapons to work with. They just needed some coaching and motivation.

Give him two years and I think they will be a top ten team.

i know quite a bit about washington since i live about 20 miles from their stadium. what i'm saying is that in 30 practices they managed to learn a brand new defensive and offensive system without a bust. even our D wasn't that consistent in 1999 or the beginning of 2000.

as for USC playing like crap during the middle of the season, there is always variance in prep time. our staff has a bad habit of working on tougher foes and let weaker foes go by (who end up almost or actually biting us).

JLEW1818
9/21/2009, 06:11 PM
like it or not jlew, Pete is 2-0 in bowl appearances in Miami, which is better than his NFL record there. ;)

true but i would love to play 5 bowl games in Oklahoma city and see how we do.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/21/2009, 06:35 PM
true but i would love to play 5 bowl games in Oklahoma city and see how we do.

Heck, even Dallas or Kansas City.

Sh*t, I'd like to play LSU in the Rose, USC in the Sugar, and Florida in the Fiesta.

bluedogok
9/21/2009, 08:51 PM
He doesn't have a salary cap in LA...

AlbqSooner
9/22/2009, 06:01 AM
what if he were actually taking his starters and doing monitored coaching sessions with them during voluntary "meetings"? what if instead of 45 hours worth of practice time in the spring, they were actually at 90? what if during the summer they were running self-directed skelly drills for 3 days and coaching monitored for 2 days?

The NCAA would announce their findings in that investigation about two years after they announce their findings in the Reggie Bush investigation.