PDA

View Full Version : Mike Balogun will not play this year.

MyT Oklahoma
9/21/2009, 11:58 AM
http://newsok.com/mike-balogun-wont-play-for-ou-this-season-attorney-says/article/3402849

Oklahoma linebacker Mike Balogun won’t be playing for the Sooners this season.

Mike Balogun won't be playing for OU this season. Photo by Steve Sisney

Advertisement

Woody Glass, Balogun’s attorney, said Monday morning the fact-finding wing of the NCAA has sided with the NCAA’s original ruling that Balogun played semi-pro football after his 21st birthday and is out of eligibility.

“The writing is clearly on the wall,” Glass said. “They made the finding Mike played in 2004, 2005 and 2006.”

Balogun turned 21 in September of 2004.

Glass, who has obtained sworn testimony from various sources suggesting Balogun didn’t play semi-pro ball after his 21st birthday, said he has already filed an appeal with the NCAA, but is doubtful it will have any effect.

Glass said he and Balogun will meet this week to discuss two possible courses of action.

One, Balogun can move on from his fight with the NCAA and test the waters in the NFL.

Or two, he can pursue a permanent injunction through the courts. The hope there is the courts will eventually supersede the NCAA’s ruling before next season and Balogun could play then. Balogun still technically has a redshirt season remaining he could use for this year.

Read more: http://newsok.com/mike-balogun-wont-play-for-ou-this-season-attorney-says/article/3402849#ixzz0RlFuuiTX

JLEW1818
9/21/2009, 11:59 AM
sucks

MyT Oklahoma
9/21/2009, 12:08 PM
This news, or the NCAA, or both?

DakotaSooner
9/21/2009, 12:09 PM
Sucks for him, feel bad for the guy.....

CK Sooner
9/21/2009, 12:14 PM
He would be a good NFL linebacker.

beer4me
9/21/2009, 12:16 PM
Well I guess that the NCAA done their civic duty and are pretty proud of themselves.

So how is that usuc thing going :mad:

htownsooner7
9/21/2009, 05:50 PM
Good effort, but it sounds like it wasn't that close of a call for the NCAA. He was playing for 2 yrs after the cut off date??

meoveryouxinfinity
9/21/2009, 05:55 PM
I don't know what to think other than if he had faith that the testimony for Balogun would hold up in the court of law they would have pursued it early and aggressively.

Go to the NFL bud.

I, as a fan, feel betrayed. lol.

BoulderSooner79
9/21/2009, 06:13 PM
Sadly, I don't see Mike getting much of a look from any NFL squad, but you never know.

IronHorseSooner
9/21/2009, 08:03 PM
Color me shocked by all of this:rolleyes:

SCxxSOONER
9/21/2009, 08:04 PM
Dont they have bigger issues to worry about ala USUC AND FSU?? They spend there time worrying about a backup linebacker while USUC gets off scott-free.. it pisses me off

meoveryouxinfinity
9/21/2009, 08:05 PM
Someone brought up a great argument over on ouinsider, and I thought I'd share my take on it (because I am feeling generous and will grace you with my wisdom)

Originally Posted by elicantab
Initially i had argued for patience and deliberateness. I was wrong.

Now I have another question. Why is not the age 21 rule illegal age discrimination?

I don't post on here much, but I agree with you completely. It is an arbitrary number. They can either say if you play ANY semi-pro ball, each "season" is -1 year of eligibility, or have no rule whatsoever.
What if you enter into the armed forces, finish your tour(s) at the age of 21, join/make a semi-pro team, play 3 years, and want to enter into a college and play college ball?

Why should that scenario be any different than a HS drop out playing semi pro ball from the age of 18-20, applying to college, and getting to play 4 years?

Age discrimination.

soonerinabilene
9/21/2009, 08:08 PM
how hard would it be to look at rosters and game film from those seasons to see if he played or not? thats all the ncaa and his attorney have to do to prove their side.