PDA

View Full Version : Bayless takes shot at Bob

stoopified
9/21/2009, 10:18 AM
I accidentally tuned in to First Take(on ESPN2 while meaning to go to THE HERD on ESPNU) and heard Bayless and co. discussing the Condomn meltown vs. UW.Even with my tremendous distatse for the transplanted Okie Bayless ,I thought this ought to be good.They were talking about the heat Carroll is under for continuing to lose to less talented Pac-10 teams.Then Bayless delivers this gem: YEAH CARROLL JUST CAN"T WIN THE LITTLE ONE.Then came the other shoe BUT AT LEAST HE WINS HIS BOWL GAMES,UNLIKE BOB STOOPS OF OKLAHOMA.

On the surface that seems benign enough BUT if you saw nad heard Skip deliver that comment,tou would have seen the venom present in not only words and tone but body language.He basically spit out the name BOB STOOPS with emphasis.Funny how a guy who claims to love OU has nothing but disdain for its coaches(Switzer,Stoops).OK,rant over.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/21/2009, 10:20 AM
Maybe because he's a professional meat rocket polisher when he's not unleashing SPORTS KNOWLEDGE on the universe.

w0lfe
9/21/2009, 10:22 AM
Can we defend the bowl losses though? We seriously need to win a big bowl by a huge margin just to shut people like him up.

sooneron
9/21/2009, 10:24 AM
Bayless is a shrill turd. I don't watch the crap that is cold pizza or whatever it is now. He sucks, the show sucks, the network sucks. They are no better than FOx News or MsNbc.They Suck!

Suck!

meoveryouxinfinity
9/21/2009, 10:24 AM
1. Jim Tressel can't win the big one at all. Penn State, USC, Texas, bowl games, MNCs.
2. Bob Stoops can't win bowl games, but constantly wins "the big game". Missouri, Oklahoma State, Texas, Big XII championships.
3. If I were a USC fan, I'd be pissed. Unlike us, they had a whole week to prepare with the backup quarterback. And U dub is NOT a top 25 team. Heck, LSU (who in my opinion is no USC) escaped with a victory. And any loss IS in fact a "big game".

Pricetag
9/21/2009, 10:29 AM
And U dub is NOT a top 25 team.
Amen. This year has demonstrated the absurdity of the polls to a "T." BYU beat OU? They must be a Top 10 team. Houston beats OSU? They must be a Top 25 team. Same thing goes for Washington and USC.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/21/2009, 10:42 AM
Amen. This year has demonstrated the absurdity of the polls to a "T." BYU beat OU? They must be a Top 10 team. Houston beats OSU? They must be a Top 25 team. Same thing goes for Washington and USC.

I think it just shows how much of an impact major injuries early in the season have on games. With a healthy Matt Barkley, USC probably wins this game by a score or so. They probably drop another more respectable game down the line though (UCLA, Cal, Oregon). Washington is probably not one of the top 5 teams in the conference. Maybe better if Jake Locker continues to improve the offense.
1a. Cal
1b. USC
3. Oregon
4. UCLA
5. Oregon State
6. Washington

My question is how come Pac-10 teams can regularly beat USC but Big 10 teams get drilled by USC?
It seems Pete Carrol's team has the opposite problem from Bob's. Teams who play USC year in have an advantage: knowing their tendencies and having a feel for the Trojans.
Bob Stoops regularly beats VERY good Big 12 teams, even in hostile environments. We usually beat Texas, and can travel to places like Stillwater, Columbia, and Lincoln with some ease. Lubbock is kind of a freak happening, but regardless a hard place to play. In general, Big 12 teams are known commodities. We know how to beat them, how to deal with the atmosphere, and how to win Big XII championships. When we play teams we don't have a real feel for, that's when we lose.

I think if situations were reversed, we'd be complaining just as much about regular season losses as we do bowl losses. How would you like to gripe about Washington and Jake freakin' Locker having your number for the next year? What a joke.

JLEW1818
9/21/2009, 10:44 AM
I love Skip

but his job is to stir **** up

(by the way he picked Oklahoma to win the national title, at the beginning of the season)

stoopified
9/21/2009, 10:50 AM
Can we defend the bowl losses though? We seriously need to win a big bowl by a huge margin just to shut people like him up.w0,TF apparently missed my point.It wasn't about him blasting Bob for losing bowl games but the venom if not outright hatred with which this was delivered.IMHO it says a lot about Bayless' true feelings toward OU than his public statements.I also think it says a lot about Bayless' lack of professionalism.Maybe you had to actually see and hear it to appreciate it.

westbrooke
9/21/2009, 10:57 AM
OU defender or not, Bayless is a tool.

I agree with wOlfe, we need to win a bowl game. Plain and simple. But I'd rather take care of business and reach the championship game (and possibly lose it) than trip over a conference also-ran every year and then whine about how we would have beaten the teams that actually played for the title.

BoulderSooner79
9/21/2009, 10:58 AM
My question is how come Pac-10 teams can regularly beat USC but Big 10 teams get drilled by USC?

I think there are multiple factors. The Pac-10 teams of course study USC more and even recruit players and design schemes just to try to matchup against the big meanie in the conference. Another factor is that USC almost always loses on the road with the one exception of the Stanford game. The rose bowl is home stadium 1a for Petey where most big10 teams come for slaughter. Finally, I think Carroll is very good a multi-week preparation games, but comes down to earth in the week to week planning of mid-season. You know that USC planned for weeks against tOSU with only lip service to the San Jose State opener.

I think Bob and staff are very good at the week to week preparation routine, but seem to struggle coming up with the special game plans that the bowl preparation period allows. There has to be a balance between the comfort of repetition and execution vs. inserting new stuff targeted at a particular opponent. The kids can master some new stuff in the 5+ weeks before a bowl, but they can be overwhelmed with too much and make too many mistakes. I don't think our staff has found that balance.

badger
9/21/2009, 11:03 AM
Unfortunately, half the teams that go bowling every year lose. I hate being on the losing side a lot lately, but at least we made it to quality bowl games. I'd rather lose the nat'l title game than win the GMAC Bowl.

Sooner in Tampa
9/21/2009, 11:03 AM

I agree with wOlfe, we need to win a bowl game. Plain and simple. But I'd rather take care of business and reach the championship game (and possibly lose it) than trip over a conference also-ran every year and then whine about how we would have beaten the teams that actually played for the title.

Nuff said!!!! Win a damn bowl game and this crap will stop. We have no defense for it.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/21/2009, 11:04 AM

I agree with wOlfe, we need to win a bowl game. Plain and simple. But I'd rather take care of business and reach the championship game (and possibly lose it) than trip over a conference also-ran every year and then whine about how we would have beaten the teams that actually played for the title.Being Sooners, it just is painful when we don't win the NC... and, that's as it should be.

tommieharris91
9/21/2009, 11:16 AM
Skip Bayless kills brain cells.

JLEW1818
9/21/2009, 11:22 AM
not as many as AI

oksoonerdave
9/21/2009, 12:02 PM
Phuque Skipp Bayless

beer4me
9/21/2009, 12:10 PM
Phuque Skipp Bayless