sooner n houston
9/21/2009, 10:18 AM
Fans' behavior deplorable in Saturday's win
By Dan Hurwitz

Daily Texan Columnist

Print this article
Share this article Published: Monday, September 21, 2009

Updated: Monday, September 21, 2009

Last year in Lubbock, those wearing burnt orange at Jones AT&T Stadium during the annual match-up between the Longhorns and Red Raiders were treated like you would expect dogs at Michael Vick’s house to be treated: like dirt, to avoid using obscenities.

With plenty of Tech fans making the trip to Austin this weekend, trash talk was expected, but maybe not to the extent that it occurred.

In what was a sloppy game on the field, Longhorn fans, at least in the student sections, completely destroyed any reputation that the University of Texas had for having respectful and knowledgeable football enthusiasts.

Yes, the Red Raiders ruined the Longhorns’ 2008 National Championship run, but that does not mean UT has to act like immature savages.

If there was a rulebook for sports fans, the underlying guideline regarding trash talk would be, “If you can’t take it, then don’t dish it out.”

In other words, if you cannot handle hearing insults about “your” team, or if you are not able to see opposing fans celebrate a touchdown, then you are not allowed to do it yourself.

I was standing next to and behind three Tech fans for five hours straight and have never been so embarrassed to be a Longhorn fan and student.

Red Raider fans are allowed to celebrate a touchdown by “getting their guns up” and being rowdy just as much as a Longhorn fan is able to “get their horns up.” They have their traditions too.

It is a shame that the Tech fans sitting around me had to hear the things they heard — much of which I am not allowed to write.

The University’s slogan is “We’re Texas.” And from what I saw in the stands Saturday night, I did not want to have much association with the University of Texas.

It does not matter what student group you are in. It does not matter if you are dressed up as a cowboy or have your entire body painted orange. And it does not matter how much alcohol is in your system.

“We’re Texas.” We have class. We do not threaten opposing fans and do not threaten our own fans.

That’s right, there were Texas fans being attacked verbally by other Texas fans.

All the nonsense going on in the stands did not help the team. The crowd was only loud on a few plays and there were times in the game where players on the defense had to put their hands up and signal to the crowd to get loud. Fans at Michigan, Ohio State and Alabama don’t need a Godzillatron to tell them to get louder.

All 100,000 plus are at the stadium for the same reason. It’s time to grow up and act like we’re Texas.

I used to think that the University of Texas was unique for the reason that its fans had class and did not have to stoop down to the level of some other fans, but maybe I was wrong.

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/sports/fans-behavior-deplorable-in-saturday-s-win-1.1905939

sooneron
9/21/2009, 10:20 AM
Dude, we're talking about one of the most self entitled fanbases on the planet. Don't expect class out of uterus. I haven't for about 20-25 years.

picasso
9/21/2009, 10:21 AM
Oh you just wait until the RRS.

It shall be nasty.

Stitch Face
9/21/2009, 10:22 AM
This is why I love Texas vs Nebraska games. The crowd is so quiet you can hear the tea glasses clinking.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/21/2009, 10:22 AM
I expect nothing but classiness out of texass.

sooneron
9/21/2009, 10:29 AM
turds, all of them

TexasLidig8r
9/21/2009, 10:31 AM
So, without going into any detail, a student writer is opining that opposing fans were treated poorly.

hmmmm... alrighty then.

What next?

Will we be changing the words in the National Anthem next????

Tulsa_Fireman
9/21/2009, 10:34 AM
No, next on the agenda is calling you and Captain Clap N' Spit a couple of morans.

We'll conclude tonight's festivities with wine and cheese on the veranda.

colinreturn
9/21/2009, 10:36 AM
So, without going into any detail, a student writer is opining that opposing fans were treated poorly.

hmmmm... alrighty then.

What next?

i lold

NormanPride
9/21/2009, 11:13 AM

hmmmm... alrighty then.

What next?

No kidding. Why do we care if the students were *******s? They're students. When are they NOT *******s?

Boomer_Sooner_sax
9/21/2009, 11:24 AM
I used to think that the University of Texas was unique for the reason that its fans had class and did not have to stoop down to the level of some other fans, but maybe I was wrong.

Well Sunshine, that is what you get for thinking. Anyone outside of Austin could have told you this and you would already be in the 90th percentile. I guess you had to see it first hand. I am sorry that you were upset. By the way, your new slogan should be "We're Texas. We Suck"

Sooner in Tampa
9/21/2009, 11:25 AM
Texas is German for whale's vagina

Tulsa_Fireman
9/21/2009, 11:26 AM
It's english for simply 'vagina'.

Gresho Murford
9/21/2009, 11:45 AM
that guy is going to get ripped.

tigepilot
9/21/2009, 12:40 PM
Since when did * ever have class? Whenever the discussion of classy fan bases comes up, * is never in the conversation.

TexasLidig8r
9/21/2009, 12:46 PM
Since when did * ever have class? Whenever the discussion of classy fan bases comes up, * is never in the conversation.

From the fanbase that inserts * into posts, goes aggy by spelling Texas backwards... referring to Texas alums and fans as "whorns" and by changing the National Anthem...

:rolleyes:

cheezyq
9/21/2009, 12:48 PM
From the fanbase that inserts * into posts, goes aggy by spelling Texas backwards... referring to Texas alums and fans as "whorns" and by changing the National Anthem...

Here's some cheez to go with your whine.

Sooner in Tampa
9/21/2009, 12:53 PM

Yeah...because message board etiquette and the way people act in real life are the same :rolleyes:

soonervegas
9/21/2009, 12:54 PM
and for the record....Michigan fans DO need a Godzillatron to tell them to get loud. Quietest stadium I have ever been in....

picasso
9/21/2009, 12:54 PM

you can't lump us all into that category Lid. I could give 2 ****s about Texas except when we play them.

MiccoMacey
9/21/2009, 12:57 PM

Ever been on Orangebloods?

That place is filled with people who do nothing but call their OU fans names, spell OU backwards or with lower case letters...heck even you insult a different rival of your own (Texas A&M) to show how wrong something is.

But regardless of which team you root for, there is a line that shouldn't be crossed. Verbal assaults that threaten someone with harm is waaaay past that line. I don't care who you root for, that's an eaasy one to point out.

OUmillenium
9/21/2009, 01:01 PM

Actually has a chance to win its 2nd Big 12 title in the last 12 years. That is...if we do not win our 4th in a row.

TexasLidig8r
9/21/2009, 01:16 PM

That place is filled with people who do nothing but call their OU fans names, spell OU backwards or with lower case letters...heck even you insult a different rival of your own (Texas A&M) to show how wrong something is.

Micco.. you have been on there long enough to know that the vitriole is more often than not, started by Ou fans who stir it up in ways that would have gotten me baned on here years ago.

As for aggy, it is not so much an insult just an acknowledgment of the "groupthink mindset" that is so pervasive with aggy..and which appears to be making it's way on this site now.

But regardless of which team you root for, there is a line that shouldn't be crossed. Verbal assaults that threaten someone with harm is waaaay past that line. I don't care who you root for, that's an eaasy one to point out.

lol.. want to read some of the negspek I have received on this site Micco?

CK Sooner
9/21/2009, 01:17 PM
lol.. want to read some of the negspek I have received on this site Micco?

No, no one gives a ****.

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/21/2009, 01:21 PM
Actually I would like to read them, I bet they are nooobilicious!!

MiccoMacey
9/21/2009, 01:22 PM
We agree then...both sites (and fanbases) are guilty of re-writing the name of their rival into a derogatory name. There are several on there who do not need to be prodded to call us uo or gooners. Just like there are several on here who do not need to be prodded to call you tu and whorns. That's my point.

As for the negative spek you've received...I only want to read the reeeaaaaaaaallly good ones. :)

tigepilot
9/21/2009, 01:30 PM

Let's not forget who started the * thing and why it's done shall we.

Boomer Mooner
9/21/2009, 01:45 PM
Let's not forget who started the * thing and why it's done shall we.

Indeed.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/21/2009, 02:53 PM
NEG FOR EVERYBODY!

BENCH JERRY MCGOY

starclassic tama
9/21/2009, 03:17 PM
texas football - giving bob stoops a b line to the national championship game since 2000

Stitch Face
9/21/2009, 04:09 PM
The fans wouldn't have a chance to be so classless if Texas would just stop actually playing football games. Then they could spend their entire athletic budget on airplane banners and infomercials for Mack on the major networks to convince voters to put them in the championship game.

Flagstaffsooner
9/21/2009, 05:00 PM
lol.. want to read some of the negspek I have received on this site Micco?But it is all deserrved.

AlbqSooner
9/21/2009, 08:28 PM
you can't lump us all into that category Lid. I could give 2 ****s about Texas except when we play them.

Well put. And for the record, I don't give 2 ****s about lid whether we are playing them or not.:D

bluedogok
9/21/2009, 08:47 PM

I never understood why the "saxet" thing was a slight, there are Saxet Gun Shows (http://saxetshows.com/) here in Austin and they are put on by a Corpus Christi based business. Even their logo is the state backwards...and T-Sips...that is an Aggie thing...but y'all are still Whorns :D

http://saxetshows.com/images/sax1.gif

Knippz
9/21/2009, 09:02 PM
From the fanbase that inserts * into posts

From the school that inserts * next to fake trophies. Get out.

Crucifax Autumn
9/21/2009, 10:07 PM
Stop bitching Lid...It was your school paper that published the article. Apparently the editorial staff on campus is ashamed of the fans' behavior.

Stitch Face
9/21/2009, 10:21 PM
"Class" is even sillier than "swagger." Every fanbase pretends they are classy (until they lose a big game.)

soonerloyal
9/21/2009, 10:22 PM
"Longhorn fans, at least in the student sections, completely destroyed any reputation that the University of Texas had for having respectful and knowledgeable football enthusiasts.

I used to think that the University of Texas was unique for the reason that its fans had class and did not have to stoop down to the level of some other fans, but maybe I was wrong."

Congratulations on the event of pulling your head out of your arse. I thought I heard a huge sucking sound.

The day of the RRS 2004, when I was told by a tu fan that if my Marine son has just died in Iraq, he wouldn't have to be putting up with our presence, that would have been a great day according to him...your "fans" lost any pretense of decency to which I'd struggled to gift them.

Do I think that personifies all Texas fans? No. But unfortunately, it is my personal 40+ year "same-old, 'Horn-as-usual" experience. It's why I taught my sons to be better.

Blecccchhhh. :mad:

AzianSooner
9/21/2009, 10:24 PM
The classy fans of We're texas took opportunity to squeeze my butt last Oct in State Fair on the way to the gate.

Stitch Face
9/21/2009, 10:27 PM
The classy fans of We're texas took opportunity to squeeze my butt last Oct in State Fair on the way to the gate.

Uh, actually...that was me :O

OUFan22
9/21/2009, 11:29 PM

Check this thread out regarding UT fans bashing Sooners at every opportunity. Obviously they don't have much of a life. It is a local message board here in the Beaumont, TX area.
http://www.setxsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=41421.0

unbiasedtruth
9/22/2009, 05:52 AM

forgot to add lawyer jokes.... this one hits close to home with you....

A lawyer calls home to talk to his wife, and the maid answers the phone.
"Where's my wife?"
"She's upstairs in bed with another man."
"I'll pay you $100,000 and get you safely out of the country if you find my gun and kill them both. I'll stay on the line while you do it."
"Si, Senor."
He hears two shots, then thump, thump, thump,thump,splash, thump, thump, thump, thump, splash.
The maid comes back to the phone, "I did it."
"What did you do?"
"I killed them both, and dumped their bodies in the pool."
"What pool? Is this 555-3624?"

:D

TexasLidig8r
9/22/2009, 08:42 AM
Stop bitching Lid...It was your school paper that published the article. Apparently the editorial staff on campus is ashamed of the fans' behavior.

Not bitchin...

Just sayin it looks like it was a liberal, journalism major who had some sand blown in his vijayjay and couldn't handle the fact that drunken smack talking was being throw around.

College aged students + all day drinking + a football game on national teevee = stupidity.

Hell.. for that matter...

College aged students = stupidity.

Jello Biafra
9/22/2009, 09:20 AM
Not bitchin...

Just sayin it looks like it was a liberal, journalism major who had some sand blown in his vijayjay and couldn't handle the fact that drunken smack talking was being throw around.

College aged students + all day drinking + a football game on national teevee = stupidity.

Hell.. for that matter...

College aged students = stupidity.

demm i thought it was just high school girls...apparently, you've been getting your asss kicked by females since you were in the womb.

OUrules
9/22/2009, 09:42 AM
Always nice to come back to the board a few weeks before the Texass game and see that nothing has changed....too funny!!!

fadada1
9/22/2009, 10:06 AM
In what was a sloppy game on the field, Longhorn fans, at least in the student sections, completely destroyed any reputation that the University of Texas had for having respectful and knowledgeable football enthusiasts.

i wasn't aware they had this reputation to begin with. i guess you learn someting new each day.

the_ouskull
9/24/2009, 07:09 PM
No, no one gives a ****.

I wouldn't be too sure about that, since it seems to be your only creative outlet. I mean, I'm coming after you all over the place, but the only time you'll say anything is when you're laying a witticism on me like, "k" or "ed" before going to hide from daddy again.

the_ouskull