PDA

View Full Version : Landry Jones, say hello to your new best friends:

Pages : 1 [2]

Frozen Sooner
9/25/2009, 04:18 PM
Who was LSU's offensive coordinator in 2007?

Dunno. I readily admit that my knowledge of coordinators isn't comprehensive. Regardless, the question is irrelevant. The issue is some outstanding coordinators, not all coordinators.

A quick Google search reveals it was Gary Crowton, who has head coaching experience and is enough of a "name" coach that I've heard of him.

footballfanatic
9/25/2009, 04:19 PM
Say "Hi" to Mr. Gilmore for me. He's a class guy.
And I guess I should leave it at that.

Oh s*** I can't help myself. When you pull out of your parking lot take a R on 6th, a L on Lamar, a L on 5th down to Guadalupe. Go R one block, L on 4th
go across Lavaca and there you are back to your stool at the Oilcan.

I will say hi to him. Good friend.

Nice one on the Oilcan Harrys. You may have a future in copywriting. You certainly have the humor part down. Need I point out that you have a, er, an obsession with gayiety?

westbrooke
9/25/2009, 04:25 PM
I've never been exactly sure what the argument is when people bring up the fact that Stoops won a championship in his second year with a roster that still included many players from Blake's recruiting classes.

Are you trying to say that Stoops can't recruit? That is laughable, and I'm sure you know that, so I'm going to assume that's not what you're saying. The overall talent level at OU now is light years ahead of the Blake era.

Are you trying to say that Blake would have won a championship if he had the same team? I think we know that's also laughable. Blake had decent talent, there's no question about that, but he had no idea what to do with it, as evidenced by the frequent position changes Stoops's staff made and the dramatic improvement in conditioning. I think it's more impressive, not less, to win a championship under those conditions. It's not like he took over a team that was already running on all cylinders like Coker did.

And yes, he won that championship with good coordinators, another topic I've seen in this thread. No one wins a championship without them. Were they better then? Everyone will tell you they wish Mike were still here, but I honestly didn't think much of Mangino as a coordinator. I'm happy to see him succeed as a head coach at Kansas, but I didn't like the way he tightened up with Hybl at QB, and I attribute most of our offensive success in 2000 to Heupel, not Mangino. Honestly, Mike Stoops is the only coordinator we've had that "struck the fear of god" into people. Leach was only here for one year and that team went 7-5. Regardless, their importance does not diminish Bob's.

Similarly, Mack hasn't won without an outstanding set of coordinators (nor has Carroll, Meyer, etc), a great on-field leader at QB, a great defensive performance with a few clutch plays thrown in there, and a few close calls that go your way. It only takes one of those close plays to go the other way to lose a championship no matter when in the season it occurs, including goal line failures in the title game or freakish touchdown catches on a mid-season night in Lubbock. Mack is a great coach in any year, but he needs the whole team around him to be successful just like anyone else.

It's embarrassing that we haven't put it together to finish a season lately, and we can pick at the reasons for those high-profile failures, but I think we're all proud of being in the position to play for championships again and again, and we're all confident that we will continue to be during Stoops's tenure. If you're arguing that Stoops is incapable of putting all of these factors together to win a championship, I think he's demonstrated time and again that he can and has been separated from ultimate success by only a couple of those close plays on more than one occasion. And again, I don't see how the championship he did claim is invalidated by the fact that he was able to better utilize and coach a number of players that were mismanaged by his predecessor.

And I'll have to take your word on Uchi. Never could tolerate the wait there. There's a place called Maru up on Burnet that I found to be surprisingly good for the price and never a wait.

westbrooke
9/25/2009, 04:26 PM
That was long. Sorry.

cheezyq
9/25/2009, 04:33 PM
Except I'm sure that there would be many on here who would be bashing Texas if we were to lose a MNC game. There is a huge double standard on here and an inability to give your rival any type of props.

Who won the most recent MNC?
Has Stoops ever won an MNC with just his own players and without some outstanding coordinators?

You gotta be kidding me on this one. Despite the fact that you are so obviously wrong (in that while we hate UT with a passion, we most definitely believe they are a good football program)...are you seriously suggesting that horn fans aren't the same way, that this is a Soonerfans.com-only phenomenon? That right there trumps EVERYTHING else you have to say, because your perspective is blatantly skewed by your bias.

Who was IN the most recent MNC?
Has Mack won a conference championship or an MNC without VY?

UTgradOUfan
9/25/2009, 06:07 PM
Cedar Street across the street from Oil Can's is a fun place.

We really like Kenichi as well...

Uchi is very good too.

Had drinks and dinner at La Condesa last weekend...

Austin is fun.

On the right night Cedar Street can hold it's own with anyplace in the country for, uh, scenery. That's the right word-scenery!

Although sitting at the sushi bar at Kenichi is still an experience Uchi is amazing.

La Condezza did not impress but the same guy's restaurant across the street, Lamberts is truly off the charts. I can't get enough of the place but it still feels weird going in there and realizing Liberty Lunch is no longer next door. One of the many lost jewels of old Austin live music. BTW the guys other restaurant, Pearlas, is pretty good.

Going to Olivia tomorrow but Eddie V's is still the best restaurant/bar in this town. We were in there last Fri. night and my wife passed some guy who looked at her and said "sexy lady"(she looked espicially gorgeous that night). She looked up and it was Matthew McConaghy. Couldn't resist throwing that in.

Yes this is a great town but the whorns still suck, burnt orange is gross and only punks flash that satanic gang sign around.

StoopTroup
9/25/2009, 06:09 PM
She should have kicked him right in the junk.

westbrooke
9/25/2009, 06:26 PM
On the right night Cedar Street can hold it's own with anyplace in the country for, uh, scenery. That's the right word-scenery!

Although sitting at the sushi bar at Kenichi is still an experience Uchi is amazing.

La Condezza did not impress but the same guy's restaurant across the street, Lamberts is truly off the charts. I can't get enough of the place but it still feels weird going in there and realizing Liberty Lunch is no longer next door. One of the many lost jewels of old Austin live music. BTW the guys other restaurant, Pearlas, is pretty good.

Going to Olivia tomorrow but Eddie V's is still the best restaurant/bar in this town. We were in there last Fri. night and my wife passed some guy who looked at her and said "sexy lady"(she looked espicially gorgeous that night). She looked up and it was Matthew McConaghy. Couldn't resist throwing that in.

Yes this is a great town but the whorns still suck, burnt orange is gross and only punks flash that satanic gang sign around.

Not to crash the Austin discussion, but...

Totally agree on the La Condesa-Lamberts issue. Curious to know what you think of Olivia. I loved my dish, but my girlfriend hated hers.

JLEW1818
9/25/2009, 07:34 PM
Jlew.. that is the most parochial "group think" view of that 2005 team.

That 2005 team currently has.. I believe... 25 players in the NFL.. two Thorp award winners... and all recruited by Mack.

To say that "It was all Vince" ignores the facts and quite frankly, is a slight at your own team. For that 2005 team to beat Ou worse than any Texas team in the storied rivalry... and if you claim it was all due to 1 guy... doesn't say much about your program.

How many MNC's has Stoops won without Josh Heupel or solely his own recruits? ZERO.

but how many Big 12 titles has Stoops won with different Quarterbacks???

how many for Mack???

OUAlumni1990
9/25/2009, 08:26 PM
Has ANY coach won a national championship without some outstanding coordinators? That's just silly.

Has Texas won ANY national championship without a former SOONER running the show? :)

OUAlumni1990
9/25/2009, 08:37 PM
I have to laugh when whorn fans attempt to disect Stoops accomplishments with the 2000 team. The bottom line was that 2000 was a year when OU was never more hungry for success.

And as far as Austin goes, that place is weird and freaky. I can't go into the city limits with getting severely impaired.

sooneron
9/26/2009, 09:25 AM
Miller High Life-J Walter Thompson 1984
AT&T-Y&R 87-90
US Army-Y&R 87-90
Chase Manhattan Bank-Wells Rich Greene 1992-94
Heineken-Wells, Lowe Worldwide 1997-2002
Mercedes-Lowe Worldwide 2001
Saab-Lowe Worldwide, 2001-2002
All of those agencies are (except for Wells, RIP) in NY

I currently work at a large ad agency in Austin that has many national and international brands.

account exec or creative?

Nevermind, you don't have to answer that one. Having produced over 100 commercials, it doesn't matter which one you are.

footballfanatic
9/27/2009, 09:35 AM
account exec or creative?

Nevermind, you don't have to answer that one. Having produced over 100 commercials, it doesn't matter which one you are.

Creative. Are you in the industry?

picasso
9/27/2009, 09:58 AM
He's in "the industry." Google adult actor Luke Longley.

picasso
9/27/2009, 09:59 AM
or was that Eldrick Wood?

sooneron
9/27/2009, 05:08 PM
Creative. Are you in the industry?

What gave you that idea? The fact that I claimed to have produced over 100 commercials?:rolleyes:

Soonerman08
9/28/2009, 08:44 AM
I love how two home blowouts against weak opposition have restored your views. Anyway, it's gonna be ugly--just like last year.

Isn't that pot calling the kettle black? Who again have you faced?

TexasLidig8r
9/28/2009, 08:57 AM
And as far as Austin goes, that place is weird and freaky. I can't go into the city limits with getting severely impaired.

uh.. yeah.. restaurants like Kenichi and Uchi... Three Forks.. La Condesa... Sullivans... Fonda San Miguel... yeah. they all suck.

Then... walking around Town Lake.. Lake Travis.. rolling hills. how terrible!

The Driskill.. Four Seasons... a new "W" hotel being built...no lodging there at all!

Milk and Honey Spa... The Resort at Lakeway... more horribleness!

The Austin Ballet.. the Guttenburg Bible... many, many live music venues.

Austin City Limits... many playhouses and theaters...

:rolleyes:

Desert Sapper
9/28/2009, 09:22 AM
I'm gonna pull a Lid here, so bear with me:

Am not saying you guys have fallen off as a program.

It would be pretty silly if you did. Especially considering the fact that we have outperformed your 'horns in several areas, to include conference championships.

But.. first.. the coordinators you have simply do not strike the fear of God in equally talented teams.

I don't think any coordinator ever strikes fear into another team. Players do. We happened to have some absolutely frightening players on D when we won our last MNC. Guys like Torrance Marshall and TRRW.

Mike Stoops was obviously an emotional firebrand leader and instilled that in the defense.

Venables is a very emotional guy. He isn't terribly different from Stoops in that respect. He also runs a very different D than Mike and doesn't disguise the blitz nearly as well -- superman would never have happened in today's D.

Leach and Mangino.. their quality has been shown in their subsequent head coaching jobs.

Concur.

When was the last time you played an equally talented club and you sat back and observed.. "Damn.. the playcalling and game plan is excellent and we're going to win this game not because our players are more talented but because our game plan is incredible."

It isn't always about talent. Sometimes it is about will and about instinct. Rocky Calmus, Torrance Marshall, Derrick Strait... none of them are in 'the League'. They and several other less talented players made the plays that defined an entire season. We nearly lost to some good teams and some ok teams (A&M and O-State come to mind) in 2000. The players made the plays they needed to make.

I believe I saw that last year when we played you. I still believe that your team last year had more talented players.. but, we had the better team (when you consider the team includes coaching)... Greg Davis, to his credit, simply outcoached Venables... and the adjustments Muschamp made after halftime, showed up on the scoreboard.

I don't totally disagree with this. We made mistakes in the special teams, our OC couldn't outwit your DC. Of course, I think the biggest problem was poor planning on D for a guy that had some obvious prior injury issues. Nobody got snaps in the offseason because Reynolds was just coming back. Similar issues this year, especially without the benefit of Mike Balogun. What I saw last year was Crow looking totally lost at MLB and Colt McCoy (very talented QB with excellent vision and a good arm) taking full advantage. This is not an excuse any more than saying the Steelers are hurting without Polamalu. It's a fact. Our team lost its defensive heart when Reynolds went out. Nobody could cover down and we lost. Both teams were equally talented.

As for Blake's kids... you raise legitimate points to discuss. Nonetheless, without those kids, do you win that year? History seems to indicate otherwise.

What kind of question is that? Of course we don't win without them. They were a large percentage of the players on the team. Bob gave them purpose, direction, and motivation. That's what a leader does.

Overall, I think you are digging a little in this thread. You won the MNC in 2005 because you peaked when we were in the deepest valley we've been in during Stoops' reign. And saying that Vince Young wasn't the most important factor of the longhorn MNC that year almost completely ignores what happened in the Rose Bowl. No VY, no MNC.

footballfanatic
9/28/2009, 09:28 AM
What gave you that idea? The fact that I claimed to have produced over 100 commercials?:rolleyes:

That made me laugh. Sorry, I misunderstood your previous post.
Good to "talk" to you.

sooneron
9/28/2009, 11:20 AM
In other words, yes. Unfortunately.

Trying to get more into original content. I post this whilst writing DR copy for an ad for a friend's start up company.

footballfanatic
9/28/2009, 12:05 PM
In other words, yes. Unfortunately.

Trying to get more into original content. I post this whilst writing DR copy for an ad for a friend's start up company.

Glad to offer assistance if possible.

footballfanatic
9/28/2009, 12:12 PM
Isn't that pot calling the kettle black? Who again have you faced?

No one good. Tech gave a great effort, but they aren't a very good team. I am worried about facing them next year in Lubbock--that QB is good. You guys better be careful.

Many of the faithful here in Austin are writing us in the MNC cause of our win against renowned heavyweight, Texas El Paso. I will wait and see.

Make no mistake, the game against OU will be a very tough, tough game and we will be fortunate if we win. I was just saying we are gonna bring the wood on defense. But hey, nothing is a sure thing in College Football, and if we get plastered, that's life.

One of my friends here at work is a rabid SC supporter. Each summer, he details why they will be unstoppable. And each year, they drop a game they have no business losing.

Desert Sapper
9/28/2009, 12:53 PM
RRS should be good this year. There's no doubt about that.

sooneron
9/28/2009, 12:57 PM
Glad to offer assistance if possible.

I'm tired of the ad world. Agencies and clients constantly put me in a bad situation to pay people.

For those listening in, this is easy way to understand the way things are today-

Man having dinner - I'll have the surf and turf with a bottle of your '88 Cab

waiter- excellent choice
[waiter goes away and comes back]

Man- I've decided the surf and turf is far too expensive. I now want the chicken alfredo and beer.

waiter - well the alfredo is good, but...

Man - I have an idea, can I get the alfredo and your lobster tail for only 5 dollars more?

waiter - not really.

Man - well can I have the steak with some caviar for the price of the chicken?

waiter - not really

Man - ok then.

The waiter brings out the chicken...

Man - I think I really want the lobster tail. Can you bring that out too?

Waiter - sure, it will be 18 dollars more

Man- I'll pay 10 dollars more and I'll give you 30% of the tab now and pay the rest in a couple of months. How does that sound?

My professional life in a nutshell.

sooneron
9/28/2009, 01:00 PM
Let me also say that I have been in this biz for the better part of 17 years. My first job in NYC was working for Steve Steigman.

footballfanatic
9/28/2009, 01:06 PM
I'm tired of the ad world. Agencies and clients constantly put me in a bad situation to pay people.

For those listening in, this is easy way to understand the way things are today-

Man having dinner - I'll have the surf and turf with a bottle of your '88 Cab

waiter- excellent choice
[waiter goes away and comes back]

Man- I've decided the surf and turf is far too expensive. I now want the chicken alfredo and beer.

waiter - well the alfredo is good, but...

Man - I have an idea, can I get the alfredo and your lobster tail for only 5 dollars more?

waiter - not really.

Man - well can I have the steak with some caviar for the price of the chicken?

waiter - not really

Man - ok then.

The waiter brings out the chicken...

Man - I think I really want the lobster tail. Can you bring that out too?

Waiter - sure, it will be 18 dollars more

Man- I'll pay 10 dollars more and I'll give you 30% of the tab now and pay the rest in a couple of months. How does that sound?

My professional life in a nutshell.

Would be funny if it wasn't so true.
Boy, how this thread taken some crazy turns.

footballfanatic
9/28/2009, 01:08 PM
Let me also say that I have been in this biz for the better part of 17 years. My first job in NYC was working for Steve Steigman.

Very cool. Bet we could share some stories.

One of my NY ad agencies had a team that played in a league where every other team was sponsored by bars. Our QB was from OU. We had fun teasing each other, and no one else ever knew what the hell we were talking about.

OUmillenium
9/28/2009, 01:13 PM
uh.. yeah.. restaurants like Kenichi and Uchi... Three Forks.. La Condesa... Sullivans... Fonda San Miguel... yeah. they all suck.

Then... walking around Town Lake.. Lake Travis.. rolling hills. how terrible!

The Driskill.. Four Seasons... a new "W" hotel being built...no lodging there at all!

Milk and Honey Spa... The Resort at Lakeway... more horribleness!

The Austin Ballet.. the Guttenburg Bible... many, many live music venues.

Austin City Limits... many playhouses and theaters...

:rolleyes:

Wow, in the middel of all those Libs. Well, it is the sick that need a doctor afterall!

TexasLidig8r
9/28/2009, 01:14 PM
Get a room you two homos! :rolleyes:

Fanatic... You have to remember... these are simple farmers.. the common clay of the old west... you know... f'in' hillbillies. :mad:

Desert Sapper
9/28/2009, 02:06 PM

Fanatic... You have to remember... these are simple farmers.. the common clay of the old west... you know... f'in' hillbillies. :mad:

All this complex talk of the ad business is gettin' my poor head in a tizzy. If only my tractor wasn't overheatin' and I didn't have all these cows to milk and seeds to sow I could focus on this big time city talk.

Get the f*** outta here. Who really gives a s*** about the ad world? Besides people that work in it?

Football forum, people. Football.;)

Crucifax Autumn
9/28/2009, 02:14 PM
I pretty much choose the brand that didn't make me puke with their bull**** oversaturation of advertising. The more prominent or successful the campaign, the more likely I am to develop a negative opinion of the crap they are trying to tell me I "have to have".

unbiasedtruth
9/28/2009, 02:28 PM
^^^^^ yeah that ^^^^^

if you hae to spend megamillions to sell your product/idea/service.... how really good is it anyway?

tigepilot
9/28/2009, 02:39 PM
^^^^^ yeah that ^^^^^

if you hae to spend megamillions to sell your product/idea/service.... how really good is it anyway?

Yeah, I'm kinda the same way. It's one thing to advertise to put your name out there and inform people of your product or even as a reminder of a well known product but advertising bombardment with obviously overly expensive production makes me look for the alternative even more.

Crucifax Autumn
9/28/2009, 04:18 PM
30,000 commercials informing me about the value of wings just ain't makin' me go buy maxi-pads, I can tell you that!

footballfanatic
9/28/2009, 04:20 PM
^^^^^ yeah that ^^^^^

That's a fair point. Some truth in that.

I agree, let's get back to the hating.
Texas is coming for you, Landry Jones. You have shown that you understand the offense, so you will succeed if you get the ball off quickly. But if you freeze back there---look out! It's gonna be Bomar 2.0

Wish you guys weren't playing Miami, so he didn't have exposure to the kind of speed he'll see in Dallas.

Of course, if Bradford comes back, we're still coming hard for him. He will have success, but there will be pain.

footballfanatic
9/28/2009, 04:21 PM
Yeah, I'm kinda the same way. It's one thing to advertise to put your name out there and inform people of your product or even as a reminder of a well known product but advertising bombardment with obviously overly expensive production makes me look for the alternative even more.

You are the exception.

cheezyq
9/28/2009, 04:27 PM
That's a fair point. Some truth in that.

I agree, let's get back to the hating.
Texas is coming for you, Landry Jones. You have shown that you understand the offense, so you will succeed if you get the ball off quickly. But if you freeze back there---look out! It's gonna be Bomar 2.0

Wish you guys weren't playing Miami, so he didn't have exposure to the kind of speed he'll see in Dallas.

Of course, if Bradford comes back, we're still coming hard for him. He will have success, but there will be pain.

Now your guys are Florida-fast? Sacrilege! Nothing's THAT fast. Phlorida fans told us so.

Crucifax Autumn
9/28/2009, 04:28 PM
Well yeah! You advertising types pray on the mindless, stupid consumer, not wise Sooner Faithful. Advertising, as a requirement, plays on the LCD.

I bet you came up with that Free Credit Report guy too...nothing like selling shat you can get free and masquerading as the free version to rip off stupid people.

Crucifax Autumn
9/28/2009, 04:29 PM
Just like a whorn to imply an injury threat...

footballfanatic
9/28/2009, 04:40 PM
Well yeah! You advertising types pray on the mindless, stupid consumer, not wise Sooner Faithful. Advertising, as a requirement, plays on the LCD.

I bet you came up with that Free Credit Report guy too...nothing like selling shat you can get free and masquerading as the free version to rip off stupid people.

No, I hate the campaign, AND I read that's a scam company.

Crucifax Autumn
9/28/2009, 04:49 PM
You score some points there then.

unbiasedtruth
9/28/2009, 04:57 PM
Well yeah! You advertising types pray on the mindless, stupid consumer.

so what you are saying CA... advertising works just the same way on consumers as horn football does on its fanbase....

Crucifax Autumn
9/28/2009, 05:01 PM
so what you are saying CA... advertising works just the same way on consumers as horn football does on its fanbase....

Absolutely! That would explain fanatic's aptitude!

sooneron
9/28/2009, 08:06 PM
heh

sooneron
9/28/2009, 08:28 PM

Sorry Lid, I forgot it was your job to fag up the threads over here.:rolleyes:

footballfanatic
9/28/2009, 09:54 PM
Arkansas!? LOL. Congrats on scheduling the oklahoma st of the sec.:texan:
I realize they are an old rivalry and a power that's heyday was back during the Nixon administration (of course, you guys could have easily have said that if :mack: hadn't bought a clue and gotten a decent DC or VY :D ).

We've had teams back out, too. Thing is, we aint whining about it, we're still picking up games with the big boys. I seriously doubt teams are afraid of playing ut. Face it, if they aren't afraid to play us, they aren't afraid to play you.

Now, do I think playing byu the first game of the year was a great idea? No. That's bowing to tv pressure for big games the first week.

At least we try to follow the form that Joe C wanted in place for ooc- Elite program (6-7 times a decade), mid major solid team(tcu, byu) or team like Cincy, then weaker bcs conf team or weaker mid major team, patsy for the warm up.

Well, it worked for us when we played Ohio State, but what on earth is the point of scheduling a really powerful team as your opening game? It makes no sense. Better to play patsies and get the kinks out. Please explain why it was so important to open against BYU when OU had nothing to gain, as you were already highly ranked, and everything to lose?

Crucifax Autumn
9/29/2009, 12:52 AM
Overall strength of schedule and bigger balls than you guys.

sooneron
9/29/2009, 09:09 AM
Well, it worked for us when we played Ohio State, but what on earth is the point of scheduling a really powerful team as your opening game? It makes no sense. Better to play patsies and get the kinks out. Please explain why it was so important to open against BYU when OU had nothing to gain, as you were already highly ranked, and everything to lose?

Dude, I posted something like 50-60 posts ago mentioning that I would rather play the warm up game (or two)first and then play the better ooc team.
I don't think idaho st would have been good enough to get kinks worked out, but tulsa would have been.

footballfanatic
9/29/2009, 11:31 AM
Dude, I posted something like 50-60 posts ago mentioning that I would rather play the warm up game (or two)first and then play the better ooc team.
I don't think idaho st would have been good enough to get kinks worked out, but tulsa would have been.

Idaho State would have been good first game. 60 point blowout gives Jones some needed time at QB to try to coming in to relieve Bradford.

TexasLidig8r
9/29/2009, 11:43 AM
Idaho State would have been good first game. 60 point blowout gives Jones some needed time at QB to try to coming in to relieve Bradford.

yah.. except Stoops would have left him in until 2 minutes left in the game.

JLEW1818
9/29/2009, 11:44 AM
yah Gilbert is getting some meaningful snaps

not

Collier11
9/29/2009, 12:00 PM
Dont argue with texas fans, they have nothing to offer

TexasLidig8r
9/29/2009, 12:44 PM
Dont argue with texas fans, they have nothing to offer

Let's see.. stats. .stats..facts.. where are those pesky facts. .OH.. here they are...

Time for you boys to start to spin like a dreidel in December...

Colt McCoy vs. UTEP
Half-time score: 47-7
Drives handled in second half: 1
Points Scored: 7
Score upon exit: 54-7

Sam Bradford vs. Texas Tech 2008
Half-time score: 42-7
Drives handled in second half: 5
Points Scored: 23
Score upon exit in 4th quarter: 65-14

spin.. spin.. spin...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0JvJHCf7rE

:D

StoopTroup
9/29/2009, 12:48 PM
Whats up Dirty Sanchez....having a good day?

JLEW1818
9/29/2009, 12:48 PM
texas had more 4th quarter points last year.. .shhhh

Mississippi Sooner
9/29/2009, 12:50 PM
I know this goes without saying, but there is a world of difference between being up on UTEP in the early season and being up on Texas Tech with the division title on the line.

westbrooke
9/29/2009, 02:44 PM
Way to cherry-pick those examples. Of course if we're talking just about our non-conference foes, as that seems to be how you want UT's behavior to be judged (and let's do this in 2008 to get a closer comparison):

Colt McCoy vs. FAU 2008
Half-time score: 28-10
Drives handled in second half: 4
Points Scored: 17
Score upon exit in 4th quarter: 45-10

Colt McCoy vs. UTEP 2008
Half-time score: 28-13
Score upon exit in 4th quarter: 35-13

Colt McCoy vs. Rice 2008
Half-time score: 24-3
Drives handled in second half: 2
Points Scored: 14
Score upon exit in 3rd quarter: 38-10

Colt McCoy vs. Arkansas 2008
Half-time score: 31-3
Score upon exit in 3rd quarter: 45-3

Sam Bradford vs. Tennessee Chattanooga 2008
Half-time score: 50-0... but not all of that was under Sam's direction
Drives handled in second half: 0
Points Scored: N/A
Score upon exit in 2nd quarter: 43-0

Sam Bradford vs. Cincinnati 2008
Half-time score: 21-13 (Hardly a blowout at this point)
Drives handled in second half: 6
Points Scored: 31
Score upon exit in 4th quarter: 52-20

Sam Bradford vs. Washington 2008
Half-time score: 34-0
Score upon exit in 3rd quarter: 48-7

Sam Bradford vs. TCU 2008
Half-time score: 28-3 (Better than Cincinnati, but still a tough game evidence by the pts/drives ratio below)
Score upon exit in 4th quarter: 35-10

McCoy vs. Bradford 2nd half drives: 12-13
McCoy vs. Bradford 2nd half points scored: 52-52

Looks like damn near identical usage to me. Stats and facts are indeed wonderful things.

You're also trying to equate a team with a senior QB and an heir apparent to a team with a RS sophomore QB with no heir apparent. It wasn't clear that Sam was likely to skip out for the pros until late in the year (and even then, so much for playing the probabilities), our QB of the future (Landry) was red-shirted, and Halzle was a senior filling a roster spot for the year. Developing Halzle was not a priority next to getting Sam, in only his 2nd year, more snaps.

If your point is that Stoops is not known for developing his backup QBs, I don't think you'll find many people here or anywhere that disagree with you. But I can't think of a single coach who actually has the reputation for developing their backup QBs with tons of meaningful game time, and the "running up the score" argument is played out.

Collier11
9/29/2009, 02:50 PM
oh noes Lid, those darn facts and stats that you like so much say that you are wrong

MeMyself&Me
9/29/2009, 03:18 PM
It's futile anyway. * fans don't let facts get in the way of self entitlement.

footballfanatic
9/29/2009, 03:18 PM
I know this goes without saying, but there is a world of difference between being up on UTEP in the early season and being up on Texas Tech with the division title on the line.

The division title was pretty much settled by the third quarter. Why on earth Bradford was playing and not giving the backup some much needed reps while keeping Bradford from being hurt may have been more about running up the score than being thoughtful.

C&CDean
9/29/2009, 03:27 PM
The division title was pretty much settled by the third quarter. Why on earth Bradford was playing and not giving the backup some much needed reps while keeping Bradford from being hurt may have been more about running up the score than being thoughtful.

Somebody please remind me why I'm tolerating this anal wart on humanity.

JLEW1818
9/29/2009, 03:27 PM
HAHA!

Collier11
9/29/2009, 03:29 PM

been wondering the same thing for a while now ;)

CrimsonJim
9/29/2009, 03:29 PM

Sorry Dean, I got nothing....

TexasLidig8r
9/29/2009, 04:02 PM

Objection! It assumes facts not in evidence.

And.. even if it was, you tolerate it because YOU, sir are a great humanitarian.
You are known for your kind and gentle nature.
YOU, sir are a renaissance man.. a learned man of compassion and understanding.
YOU see the good in others.. you reach out and accept those of differing allegiances because you know that in the end, your intellect and life experience will be broadened by listening with rapt attention, to the ideas of others.

Notwithstanding all of those fundamental truths, other truths that we hold self evident are ....

that you enjoy the postings, the contrary and contrarian ideas of rival fans. You have a keen understanding that what makes the football board unique are the postings of others.. particularly, your rival fans.. to give not only balance to the "group think" nature of this board, but to add spice, humor and dare I say it... HUMANITY.

yes Dean.. I speak today of.. humanity. That element that binds us all together in a brotherhood of compassion and understanding.

To enable this board to be open to all who would have a voice, you sir, are doing your part to keep America free.. and without this board... and that for which it stands.. you could be hurting the troops... and YOU Dean... perhaps more than anyone.. would NEVER hurt the troops!

So yay I say... GOD ALMIGHTY.. GOD ALMIGHTY.. GOD ALMIGHTY... reach out my brother and take the hand of those who differ from your own views.. and stay thy Mighty Hand!

CK Sooner
9/29/2009, 04:03 PM
Lid, can we get an injury update on Sergio Kindle and Aaron Williams?

Mississippi Sooner
9/29/2009, 04:06 PM
I've sent boys younger than you to the electric chair. Didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to them.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/29/2009, 04:06 PM

And.. even if it was, you tolerate it because YOU, sir are a great humanitarian.
YOU see the good in others.. you reach out and accept those of differing allegiances because you know that in the end, your intellect and life experience will be broadened by listening with rapt attention, to the ideas of others.

Notwithstanding all of those fundamental truths, other truths that we hold self evident are ....

that you enjoy the postings, the contrary and contrarian ideas of rival fans. You have a keen understanding that what makes the football board unique are the postings of others.. particularly, your rival fans.. to give not only balance to the "group think" nature of this board, but to add spice, humor and dare I say it... HUMANITY.

yes Dean.. I speak today of.. humanity. That element that binds us all together in a brotherhood of compassion and understanding.

To enable this board to be open to all who would have a voice, you sir, are doing your part to keep America free.. and without this board... and that for which it stands.. you could be hurting the troops... and YOU Dean... perhaps more than anyone.. would NEVER hurt the troops!

So yay I say... GOD ALMIGHTY.. GOD ALMIGHTY.. GOD ALMIGHTY... reach out my brother and take the hand of those who differ from your own views.. and stay thy Mighty Hand!

just wow

C&CDean
9/29/2009, 04:11 PM

**** off dip****

TexasLidig8r
9/29/2009, 04:18 PM
Lid, can we get an injury update on Sergio Kindle and Aaron Williams?

in post game interviews, Kindle said he could have come back into the game if needed. Expected to be 100%.

Aron Williams sustained a bruised shoulder/upper arm and is expected to be back 100% for the Colorado game.

JLEW1818
9/29/2009, 04:22 PM
injuries suck

unbiasedtruth
9/29/2009, 07:01 PM

translation.... I am just another attorney that likes to hear myself talk without any meaningful contribution to the discussion.....:O

MeMyself&Me
9/29/2009, 08:28 PM
This^^^

footballfanatic
9/29/2009, 09:53 PM
Things we've learned from this nthread:
1. The fact that this "epic fail thread" has now been viewed over 4000 times more than any other thread on the first page of Soonerfans should tell you that strife is more compelling than the usual sunshine pumping sort.
2. True Sooners don't back off from a street fight.
3. Lid, while somewhat misinformed about worthwhile destinations in Austin, is and always will be the man.
4. Austin Sooners, while misguided, aren't so bad once you get to know them.
4. UTTEX74 is an apologist who steers for the middle of the road until he can bravely gloat in hindsight.
5. _____________________

Collier11
9/29/2009, 10:28 PM
5. FF is only here to stir the pot, or that is what he perceives it as. In reality all he does is make outrageous claims and do everything he can to discredit himself.
6. Lid, while I disagree with him alot, atleast comes with real facts or arguments 90% of the time and leaves the stupid and worthless drivel for you.
7. Utex74 speaks honestly, just cus he doesnt fit the mold of the arrogant ut fan doesnt mean he is any less qualified to be a ut fan. In fact, he is one of the better ones ive met/spoken with

Crucifax Autumn
9/29/2009, 11:49 PM
Things we've learned from this nthread:
1. The fact that this "epic fail thread" has now been viewed over 4000 times more than any other thread on the first page of Soonerfans should tell you that strife is more compelling than the usual sunshine pumping sort.

Punky Brewster was a primetime hit for years but it was still a piece of ****. What's your point?

Crucifax Autumn
9/30/2009, 12:20 AM
5. FF is only here to stir the pot, or that is what he perceives it as. In reality all he does is make outrageous claims and do everything he can to discredit himself.

He's a jackass and he knows it. He's obviously full of ****, as he himself admits by stating his occupation. His profession is the tyoe that would replace the phrase "Bevo's Missing Nutsack" with "Football Fanatic" after hours questioning a focus group.

6. Lid, while I disagree with him alot, atleast comes with real facts or arguments 90% of the time and leaves the stupid and worthless drivel for you.

Well, he comes up with real arguments at least. His facts are as suspect as the fashionability of the bowtie or the fat male ***.

7. Utex74 speaks honestly, just cus he doesnt fit the mold of the arrogant ut fan doesnt mean he is any less qualified to be a ut fan. In fact, he is one of the better ones ive met/spoken with

Yes...A whorn who knows their team is inferior and likely to implode soon is rather refreshing.

I'm glad these guys are here in all cases though. Having the 3 basic types of whorn gathered here saves me the assache I'd have reading their "I played flag football in P.E. in junior high" brilliance. There's a fourth kinda whorn, but I don't think any of these three aree the chick I was banging from my senior year in high school until I was 26 and if they were I think my little buddy woulda fell off years ago based on the sheer amount of disease they spew from their whorn mouths.

footballfanatic
9/30/2009, 08:37 AM
I'm glad these guys are here in all cases though. Having the 3 basic types of whorn gathered here saves me the assache I'd have reading their "I played flag football in P.E. in junior high" brilliance. There's a fourth kinda whorn, but I don't think any of these three aree the chick I was banging from my senior year in high school until I was 26 and if they were I think my little buddy woulda fell off years ago based on the sheer amount of disease they spew from their whorn mouths.

Apparently, there is a type of Sooner who isn't constrained by punctuation grammar.

TexasLidig8r
9/30/2009, 08:39 AM
translation.... I am just another attorney that likes to hear myself talk without any meaningful contribution to the discussion.....:O

well.. duh.

footballfanatic
9/30/2009, 08:48 AM
He's a jackass and he knows it. He's obviously full of ****, as he himself admits by stating his occupation. His profession is the tyoe that would replace the phrase "Bevo's Missing Nutsack" with "Football Fanatic" after hours questioning a focus group.

There is nothing wrong whatsoever with advertising. It is an invaluable contributor to our economic engine, and has allowed some great brands to flourish. The problem with advertising is bad, and untruthful advertising. Every profession has its bad side. Real estate, banking, and health care all have dishonest dealers. The difference is that you see the bad advertising every day, as opposed to just reading an article here and there about it, which is what you do with the other fields. I can't help it if Freecredit.com does those fraudulent commercials, or if Dr. Pepper runs that horrible commercial of the guy dancing on the goalpost a million times, like they did last year, making me want to blow my brains out.

unbiasedtruth
9/30/2009, 01:40 PM
well.. duh.

wow!!! you actually contributed a meaningful thought.....:D

rawlingsHOH
9/30/2009, 01:43 PM
Let's see.. stats. .stats..facts.. where are those pesky facts. .OH.. here they are...

Time for you boys to start to spin like a dreidel in December...

Colt McCoy vs. UTEP
Half-time score: 47-7
Drives handled in second half: 1
Score upon exit: 54-7

Sam Bradford vs. Texas Tech 2008
Half-time score: 42-7
Points Scored: 23
Score upon exit in 4th quarter: 65-14

spin.. spin.. spin...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0JvJHCf7rE

:D

Did you just compare Texas Tech to UTEP?

rawlingsHOH
9/30/2009, 01:44 PM
Way to cherry-pick those examples. Of course if we're talking just about our non-conference foes, as that seems to be how you want UT's behavior to be judged (and let's do this in 2008 to get a closer comparison):

Colt McCoy vs. FAU 2008
Half-time score: 28-10
Points Scored: 17
Score upon exit in 4th quarter: 45-10

Colt McCoy vs. UTEP 2008
Half-time score: 28-13
Score upon exit in 4th quarter: 35-13

Colt McCoy vs. Rice 2008
Half-time score: 24-3
Score upon exit in 3rd quarter: 38-10

Colt McCoy vs. Arkansas 2008
Half-time score: 31-3
Score upon exit in 3rd quarter: 45-3

Sam Bradford vs. Tennessee Chattanooga 2008
Half-time score: 50-0... but not all of that was under Sam's direction
Drives handled in second half: 0
Points Scored: N/A
Score upon exit in 2nd quarter: 43-0

Sam Bradford vs. Cincinnati 2008
Half-time score: 21-13 (Hardly a blowout at this point)
Drives handled in second half: 6
Points Scored: 31
Score upon exit in 4th quarter: 52-20

Sam Bradford vs. Washington 2008
Half-time score: 34-0
Score upon exit in 3rd quarter: 48-7

Sam Bradford vs. TCU 2008
Half-time score: 28-3 (Better than Cincinnati, but still a tough game evidence by the pts/drives ratio below)
Score upon exit in 4th quarter: 35-10

McCoy vs. Bradford 2nd half drives: 12-13
McCoy vs. Bradford 2nd half points scored: 52-52

Looks like damn near identical usage to me. Stats and facts are indeed wonderful things.

You're also trying to equate a team with a senior QB and an heir apparent to a team with a RS sophomore QB with no heir apparent. It wasn't clear that Sam was likely to skip out for the pros until late in the year (and even then, so much for playing the probabilities), our QB of the future (Landry) was red-shirted, and Halzle was a senior filling a roster spot for the year. Developing Halzle was not a priority next to getting Sam, in only his 2nd year, more snaps.

If your point is that Stoops is not known for developing his backup QBs, I don't think you'll find many people here or anywhere that disagree with you. But I can't think of a single coach who actually has the reputation for developing their backup QBs with tons of meaningful game time, and the "running up the score" argument is played out.

This

TexasLidig8r
9/30/2009, 01:53 PM
wow!!! you actually contributed a meaningful thought.....:D

Too often, I do not limit my musings to single syllable words.... when I do, so many more understand! :D

unbiasedtruth
9/30/2009, 05:40 PM
Too often, I do not limit my musings to single syllable words.... when I do, so many more understand! :D

yes thats the only way you can communicate with your fellow 'horn fans is it not? single syllable words?

spot on!!

:P

sooner ngintunr
9/30/2009, 05:44 PM
This thread is entirely ghey. That's it, I'm burying it...