PDA

View Full Version : Watching the DVR of the game...

Lott's Bandana
9/20/2009, 11:38 PM
...showed me what I just couldn't put my finger on yesterday and last week in the rain.

Stache's passes are silly-accurate. Yes, he makes a few mistakes right now, but almost every pass LJ throws downfield drops perfectly into the receiver's hands. I said almost...he's not perfect, still...

Case in point...Jones to Broyles on the last TD pass. Shoulder-high, in stride, defender only a step behind.

Tennell's drop, although an incompletion...again, over the shoulder, in stride, defender only a step behind.

He makes great throws...like,

"Landry, hit him in the numbers."

"Which one?"

sooner59
9/21/2009, 02:29 AM
Yeah, he had a good game. He just needs to sponge up some Heupel knowledge to cut down on the bad decisions. It seems like when he makes quick, smart decisions his throws are on target. When he waits too long in the pocket or has to make too many check-downs, he makes bad decisions. I think Landry can be really good if he learns from his mistakes. I have no doubt he and Sam and Heupel will be brainstorming and fixing mistakes. Landry has a bright future ahead of him.

stoopified
9/21/2009, 10:33 AM
Yeah, he had a good game. He just needs to sponge up some Heupel knowledge to cut down on the bad decisions. It seems like when he makes quick, smart decisions his throws are on target. When he waits too long in the pocket or has to make too many check-downs, he makes bad decisions. I think Landry can be really good if he learns from his mistakes. I have no doubt he and Sam and Heupel will be brainstorming and fixing mistakes. Landry has a bright future ahead of him.I don't think the bad decesions are made not from indecision but SUPREME CONFIDENCE.I think LJ already has that belief I CAN PUT A PASS ANYWHERE.There was an incompleteion that he threw into DOUBLE COVERAGE that is the perfect example.My original reaction was OH,SH!T!In replay he did get the ball through only to have itdropped (by Broyles,I think).I think in part it was dropped because the reciever was shocked that LJ threw it.

My Opinion Matters
9/21/2009, 10:37 AM
Landry's got a cannon of a throwing arm. Stronger than Sam's, I dare say.

NormanPride
9/21/2009, 10:57 AM
Actually, I'd say he needs to work on his accuracy a bit more... He missed Broyles on a really pretty route where RB was behind the D by a good 4-5 yards, and a few of his passes to other WRs were off by a bit.

Thus far, though, I'd have to say that Landry Jones 2009 <= Sam Bradford 2007.

BoulderSooner79
9/21/2009, 11:08 AM
I don't think Jones is as consistently accurate as Sam, but who would expect that. Both the TDs to Caleb required the receiver to make a good adjustment to the ball, but he put it where Caleb *could* make the adjustment. And as you said, several of the passes were dead-on.

I'm just as impressed with his poise as his arm. The sure touchdowns that were dropped have been discussed a bunch, but not much comment that both of those drives still ended with touchdowns. It's a comment on the whole squad, but Jones doesn't get all flustered when things go wrong and just moves on the the next play. I'm also amazed how well he is handling the no-huddle and how sure handed he is fielding the shotgun snaps. Looks like he has been running it forever. I expected a little more deer-in-the-headlights this early, but hasn't turned out that way.

SoonerLB
9/21/2009, 11:13 AM
I shudder to think how good he could actually be with some receivers that could CATCH! Every opponent from here on out will be keying on Broyles since he does catch the ball. Hopefully Caleb keeps improving, and one can only hope AT learns how to catch, as well as any Tight End willing to step up.

Sooner04
9/21/2009, 11:15 AM
I'm not sure we watched the same game, Mr. Lott. He made some outstanding throws, yes, but he was also the beneficiary of some phenomenal plays by his receivers.

Tennell excluded, of course. That guy has already locked up the Renzi "Hands of" Stone award for this scholastic year.

Landry's got a ways to go in the accuracy department.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/21/2009, 11:56 AM
Well, he won't be anything unless he can hit Broyles with a pass while Broyles is on a boat doing 45 mph. ;)

Lott's Bandana
9/21/2009, 12:12 PM
I'm not sure we watched the same game, Mr. Lott. He made some outstanding throws, yes, but he was also the beneficiary of some phenomenal plays by his receivers.

Tennell excluded, of course. That guy has already locked up the Renzi "Hands of" Stone award for this scholastic year.

Landry's got a ways to go in the accuracy department.

I watched it twice, all the while with the understanding this is a redshirt freshman in his second game.

My point, perhaps not well-made, is that he is very accurate at this point in his career...much more so that dozens of other Sooners QB's I have seen that have stepped in to cover an injury (J Holloway? kidding).
I was at the KU game when Jason started for Nate and Landry's passes are tighter and get to the right spot, more often than not, and much faster than Jason's did.

04, Sam is a tough act to follow and nobody can expect the Heisman winner's completion percentage, especially in his second full game...however, for a redshirt freshman there really isn't much to complain about.

We'll see what happens when he is consistently under pressure.

OK2U
9/21/2009, 12:46 PM
...He looks pretty darn good on roll-outs.
Expect to see a lot of those plays @ Miami.

Gresho Murford
9/21/2009, 01:42 PM
For a redshirt freshman he is phenominal...atleast I think so after watching some other games around the country.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/21/2009, 07:23 PM
He looked good. I don't know if the Tulsa defense is very telling.

He's certainly no Sam and anyone who suggests so is ludicrous. If Sam is able to take a snap and throw a football, he should be suited up and the starter for Miami.

LawtonBoy74
9/21/2009, 07:25 PM
He is pretty damn good, he just answered huge questions for the 2010-2011 season..Imagine if J. Gresham was healthy!! Kid is good but I'm worried about how he will perform with defenders in his face, because when I've seen that happen it seems like he makes some bad decisions IMO

meoveryouxinfinity
9/21/2009, 07:34 PM
He is pretty damn good, he just answered huge questions for the 2010-2011 season..Imagine if J. Gresham was healthy!! Kid is good but I'm worried about how he will perform with defenders in his face, because when I've seen that happen it seems like he makes some bad decisions IMO

I agree. He will be a great QB.

He has never played on the road. Sam had troubles playing on the road his freshman year.

He has played under tremendous pressure. He has played with one of our worst/depleted combination o-lines and WR corps in years. He has a lot better than, say, Bomar, under similar but lessened conditions (not hard to do).
The upside is more than obvious.