PDA

View Full Version : Blocked Punt

Lott's Bandana
9/20/2009, 11:19 PM
...it's coming.

Tulsa should be embarrassed they didn't.

Tres Way is really, really good...but something is wrong with our blocking scheme.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/20/2009, 11:20 PM
He's a 3 step punter.

Give him time. He'll be a 2 step punter with some work. That third step is a killer.

Boomer38Sooner
9/20/2009, 11:45 PM
i don't like how we have that wall of 3 blockers. i think that is completely ridiculous. we should go back to having a full line of blockers

starclassic tama
9/21/2009, 12:15 AM
yeah i never understood that trend. most teams use it now. why would you give a defender an 8 yard head of steam before trying to block him?

BOOMERBRADLEY
9/21/2009, 02:01 AM
One guy on the edge missed his assignment. He simply didn't see the edge rusher.

Seems pretty clear cut to me.

sooner59
9/21/2009, 02:20 AM
During the game I was saying that we take too long to get the punt off. I was nervous. Texas is pretty good at blocking punts. We need to get this taken care of before then or I will be sweating bullets when we punt.

Collier11
9/21/2009, 09:52 AM
Ill tell you what is wrong, we have went to that dumb azzed formation that all the other dumb azzed teams run where you have the mini wall right in front of the punter, I dont know why anyone does that?

w0lfe
9/21/2009, 09:59 AM
Ill tell you what is wrong, we have went to that dumb azzed formation that all the other dumb azzed teams run where you have the mini wall right in front of the punter, I dont know why anyone does that?
College football coaches just suck period!! They dont know the game of football =] jk, I dont understand it either

Tulsa_Fireman
9/21/2009, 10:01 AM
It does a few things.

It lets you clean up the rush from penetration yet still keep players in space to release after the punt clears. It allows another set of blockers to read the punt rush if it comes to actually allow MORE time to pick up that rush and protect the punter as opposed to downgap assignments and the giant wad of crap that ensues, which in turn delays tacklers from releasing downfield after the rush to set your lanes. After all, there's more to punting that getting off a quality punt. There's coverage you have to take into account and the quicker your coverage is released from blocking assignments into their coverage lanes, the quicker you can make a tackle and limit a return. Take that, good hangtime, and a quality kick, and it covers ALL the things you need to execute.

As was mentioned, it isn't a formation problem, it's a problem of that back missing the rusher entirely along with what I think is a problem in Tress Way being a 3 step punter. A 2 step punt delivers the ball quicker and doesn't sacrifice the ability to strike the ball well.

Both are problems that can be addressed.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/21/2009, 10:05 AM
And I hinted at it, but when you boil it down, in my opinion it has EVERYTHING to do with the sucktastic kick coverage this unit has shown in the past. It only makes sense that if you get coverage lanes set quicker and through formation give your guys a chance to clear and get downfield, that reduces the amount of time the opposing team has to set up return protection as well as limiting the yardage gained from kick to contact.

DakotaSooner
9/21/2009, 10:05 AM
i hope they address it.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/21/2009, 10:06 AM
Let's just not punt. Kay?

Collier11
9/21/2009, 10:09 AM
if its not the formation like you say Fireman then I will say this, we are still having far too many mental breakdowns and it will cost us eventually, we need to clean that crap up, flat out missing blocks has already cost us once this year

w0lfe
9/21/2009, 10:10 AM
Let's just not punt. Kay?
^^This

w0lfe
9/21/2009, 10:12 AM
Lets put Cory Brandon back there.... Wait a second... We want to move forward, not backwards.. So far he has a false start in every game