PDA

View Full Version : National Anthem

Pages : [1] 2

OUHOMER
9/20/2009, 06:53 PM
Did you notice the announcer at the stadium tried to tell everyone the lyrics of the song end with HOME OF THE BRAVE.

seems the crowd responded with an even louder HOME OF THE SOONERS .

I think they are fighting a losing battle here.

Oh and this thread was not started to debate whether it is right or wrong. Just an observation. :cool:

SoonerBacker
9/20/2009, 07:00 PM
This announcement does nothing but draw attention to what the OU administration sees as a problem. To me, it is just like the announcements they make about welcoming our opponents to Owen Field. All their announcements do is fuel the very behavior they seem to find objectionable.

OKLA21FAN
9/20/2009, 07:01 PM
Did you notice the announcer at the stadium tried to tell everyone the lyrics of the song end with HOME OF THE BRAVE.

seems the crowd responded with an even louder HOME OF THE SOONERS .

Oh and this thread was not started to debate whether it is right or wrong. Just an observation. :cool:

agree......

and it once again gave me chills :D

badger
9/20/2009, 07:04 PM
They've tried to steer fans toward doing certain things during pregame before... like applaud the visitors during the playing of their fight song.

They may never convince Sooner fans to sing the word "brave" at the end, but they may find ways to not get them to sing at all.

Think about it... what if some American Idol wannabe pop star sang the Nat'l Anthem solo? No band accompaniment, just a jazzed up version of the Star Spangled Banner that nobody could possibly sing along to if they dared to try.

... then, the "Sooners" at the end would just a be a single word or some might be so irritated at the gawd-awful singer that they'll just have one hand on their heart and the other on their ears :D

sooner ngintunr
9/20/2009, 07:04 PM

Which, IMO, is pretty sad.

I've always thought that yelling SOONERS at the end of the anthem was bush league and I always will.

Sooner_Havok
9/20/2009, 07:05 PM
They started it last year.

TXBOOMER
9/20/2009, 07:20 PM
They will never get all the people to stop no need in trying.

SunnySooner
9/20/2009, 07:38 PM
Do OU fans do this at away games? Just curious.

mdklatt
9/20/2009, 07:43 PM
Oh and this thread was not started to debate whether it is right or wrong.

Yeah, good luck with that. :pop:

badger
9/20/2009, 07:44 PM

I think having someone lead the anthem is a big part of this and perhaps if it was just a soloist or if it was just instrumental it wouldn't happen.

Alas, Sooners are awesome Americans and will readily sign along to the anthem if prompted... and then become uber Sooners at the end by altering the words :D

I don't do the "Home of the Sooners" thing... but I don't glare at anyone that does.

OKLA21FAN
9/20/2009, 07:46 PM
why don't you go to one and see for yourself ;)

Petro-Sooner
9/20/2009, 07:47 PM
When I was a student five or six years back at the aggie game the OU students did it. Aggie students were next to us and they gave them the biggest glares you could imagine. I chose not to do it.

Collier11
9/20/2009, 07:50 PM
Ive always thought it was disrespectful

stoopified
Anyone who wants to is free to yell Sooners or brave,I think we have that freedom.I don't get all the fuss.

OUHOMER
Yeah, good luck with that. :pop:

Yea, I had a gut feeling;)

mdklatt

I hope any of them that do get a beatdown.

And booing Tulsa and Idaho State for crying out loud? Give me a ****ing break. If only we had more snow we could be just like CU fans. Although I guess we could just starting throwing batteries without the snowball around them. :rolleyes:

Here's something else I don't understand. Why do we only make noise on defense when the other time lines up? Wouldn't it just as much sense if not more to do it while they huddle?

EDIT:

And another thing--quit booing the refs on calls against us that are clearly correct. You sound like a bunch of morons.

OKLA21FAN
9/20/2009, 07:57 PM
Anyone who wants to is free to yell Sooners or brave,I think we have that freedom.I don't get all the fuss.

this (and spek)

StormySooner-IN
9/20/2009, 07:58 PM

And booing Tulsa and Idaho State for crying out loud? Give me a ****ing break. If only we had more snow we could be just like CU fans. Although I guess we could just starting throwing batteries without the snowball around them. :rolleyes:

Here's something else I don't understand. Why do we only make noise on defense when the other time lines up? Wouldn't it just as much sense if not more to do it while they huddle?

EDIT:

And another thing--quit booing the refs on calls against us that are clearly correct. You sound like a bunch of morons.

I agree Lol. Also, there was someone trying very hard (and pretty succesful) to start the wave in section 25. Of course we were on offense. I think we suddenly stopped moving the ball when it got going.

Just an observation. :P

FaninAma
9/20/2009, 07:59 PM
A lot of people like to get upset about other
peoples' actions that in the big scheme of
things amount to a hill of beans.

OUHOMER

EDIT:

IS there anything else your highness or does that cover it.:rolleyes:

spacecadet
I enjoy it.

Collier11
9/20/2009, 08:03 PM
why wouldnt you want to boo the other team? that is retarded

Petro-Sooner
9/20/2009, 08:04 PM

We don't want to hurt their feelings and make them feel bad. Duhhhh

SicEmBaylor
9/20/2009, 08:07 PM
Yeah, I hate the replacing "brave" with "sooners" thing but cheering your opponent at your own field is retarded. Booing them is just fun and expected.

mdklatt
9/20/2009, 08:11 PM

'Cause it's aggy. You don't need to sing along with their fight song or anything, but booing them--especially somebody like Idaho State--is giving them more acknowledgment than they deserve. Let's act like we've been there before. Booing is for rivals. Everybody else gets a shrug.

mdklatt
9/20/2009, 08:13 PM
'Cause it's aggy.

Booing them is just fun and expected.

The prosecution rests.

olevetonahill
9/20/2009, 08:13 PM
Vet here
Yell any dayum thing ya want at the end :cool:
Boo the Refs if ya want .:cool:
Sit on yer Fatass and NOT yell a dayum thing If Ya want .:cool:
Bitch at ME fer doing what I want and get a face full of shat ya dont want :cool:

OUHOMER
9/20/2009, 08:14 PM
Brave or Sooner, doesn't matter to me. I figure there have been many a brave Sooner and we are at our house.

I want the opponent to feel intimated the minute they hit the field. This aint pee wee ball

your right

EDIT:

screw the refs, they have screwed us way too many times

unbiasedtruth
9/20/2009, 08:20 PM
Other than Sooner football games both home and away, where Sooner is yelled, the only other sporting events I attend are the Dallas Stars hockey games... during the national anthem at the AAC, Stars is yelled twice....

its freedom of choice of the individual singing....

bringit
9/20/2009, 08:20 PM
you okies sound like a bunch of f'n hillbillies ;)

Hot Rod
9/20/2009, 08:24 PM
I say "Sooners" at every home game and I say it with a smile, at the little league games when they play it. I don't think this is a big problem though. I'm American, as much as anyone, and love my country. I think this is just a tradition that we Sooner fan have. Plus, sounds better in unison!

sooneron
9/20/2009, 08:31 PM
Booing Idaho st just seems wrong. They traveled a long way for that paycheck and beatdown. Same goes for tulsey.

mdklatt
9/20/2009, 08:31 PM
I think this is just a tradition that we Sooner fan have.

Yeah, a "tradition" that only started 3-4 years ago...about the same time there was all that outrage because somebody had made a Spanish translation.

What pisses me off the most is the hypocrisy. I guaran-damn-tee you that a large majority of people who yell "SOONERS!" would go apoplectic if somebody next to them was singing it in Spanish.

mdklatt
9/20/2009, 08:32 PM
Booing Idaho st just seems wrong. They traveled a long way for that paycheck and beatdown. Same goes for tulsey.

Exactly. Do we hate Idaho St. now? Seriously?

SicEmBaylor
9/20/2009, 08:35 PM
The prosecution rests.

I'm used to hearing a lot of booing. We used to boo our own team more than the visiting team.

Fraggle145
9/20/2009, 08:36 PM
Yeah, a "tradition" that only started 3-4 years ago...

Ummm I disagree...

From what I can remember we've been doing it (yelling Sooners!) for as long as I have been regularly attending football games in 1998.

And I'll keep doing it. :D

Sooner_Havok
9/20/2009, 08:38 PM
I figure, it's a song. And America is just as much the home of the brave as it is the home of the Sooners. Not like I'm saying home of the child rapist or anything.

Collier11
9/20/2009, 08:44 PM
for those of you bringing up that you have the right to say Brave or Sooner, give me a fuggin break, this isnt exactly a 1st Amendment issue. True it is your choice and right but it is tacky and disrespectful to the National Anthem

bringit
9/20/2009, 08:52 PM
:pop:

Soonerus
9/20/2009, 08:52 PM
Ummm I disagree...

From what I can remember we've been doing it (yelling Sooners!) for as long as I have been regularly attending football games in 1998.

You are correct it has been occuring for a long time...

Tulsa_Fireman
9/20/2009, 09:01 PM
This whole debate is retarded.

I say "SOONERS". I snap to and stand at attention. I lay my hand over my heart, lock my eyes on the colors and sing as a proud, able son of our beloved United States. I don't disrespect the anthem of our nation and in fact, find it as a musical homage to lives lost, blood shed, and the efforts of men greater than me.

And I say "SOONERS!" as loud as my voice will let me.

For after all, as Francis Scott Key so poignantly penned the verse, does NOT the banner of the Colonials wave proudly, ever-steady, and defiantly over the home of the Sooners?

A Sooner in Texas
9/20/2009, 09:03 PM
for those of you bringing up that you have the right to say Brave or Sooner, give me a fuggin break, this isnt exactly a 1st Amendment issue. True it is your choice and right but it is tacky and disrespectful to the National Anthem

I agree with Collier on this. It's two minutes or less to honor your country and then you have the rest of the game, including countless repetitions of "Boomer Sooner," to honor OU and the Sooners.

mdklatt
9/20/2009, 09:10 PM
If you're someone who yells "SOONERS!", would you still do it if no one else did?

Stitch Face
9/20/2009, 09:13 PM
I think it's okay for people to sing "Sooners" if they do it politely, but not with swagger.

olevetonahill
9/20/2009, 09:14 PM
you okies sound like a bunch of f'n hillbillies ;)
I am

Yeah, a "tradition" that only started 3-4 years ago...about the same time there was all that outrage because somebody had made a Spanish translation.
See below
What pisses me off the most is the hypocrisy. I guaran-damn-tee you that a large majority of people who yell "SOONERS!" would go apoplectic if somebody next to them was singing it in Spanish.

How you say SOONERS in spanish ?

Ummm I disagree...

What I was thinkin

I figure, it's a song. And America is just as much the home of the brave as it is the home of the Sooners. Not like I'm saying home of the child rapist or anything.
No shat

Uhmm C11 YES it IS

You are correct it has been occuring for a long time...

Rus is right

OKLA21FAN
9/20/2009, 09:18 PM
If you're someone who yells "SOONERS!", would you still do it if no one else did?

I yelled 'Boomer' once in the middle of 'ground zero' in NYC. and got the appropriate answer too:pop:

the way I see it, if we can 'militaristic' our pregames like a 'cold war' soviet parade thru Red Square. Yelling some state pride (and a state where there is history of 'big govt' corruption and taking advantage of.) is not a problem with me.

Some 'yell' at public forums lately, and thats 'okay', so having some fun at a sporting event is a non issue.

and the last time there was a flyby at a Sooner game, the B-52 flew over a few seconds early and 'ruined' the anthem, there should be something done about that!!! :pop:

OKC-SLC
9/20/2009, 09:19 PM
I think it's okay for people to sing "Sooners" if they do it politely, but not with swagger.

and especially not at a presser.

Sooner_Havok
9/20/2009, 09:19 PM
I mean, that baseball team from Atlanta adds an 'S' to the end of the anthem that's not supposed to be there, and that is WAY more offensive. :D

OKLA21FAN
9/20/2009, 09:21 PM
I mean, that baseball team from Atlanta adds an 'S' to the end of the anthem that's not supposed to be there, and that is WAY more offensive. :D

and the Anaheim Ducks will 'boooooooo' when the word 'Star' is sang in the anthem when Dallas plays there.

oh the humanity of it all

Sooner_Havok
9/20/2009, 09:21 PM
and especially not at a presser.

http://bobstoops.net/sims%20heisman.jpg

boomer?!

Sooner_Havok
9/20/2009, 09:24 PM
and the Anaheim Ducks will 'boooooooo' when the word 'Star' is sang in the anthem when Dallas plays there.

oh the humanity of it all

I mean, it is a song. We let hot chicks wear American Flag bikinis. That makes the flag WAY hotter, but you would think having the Union over your crotch disrespects* it as much as us yelling SOONER!

*Only hot chicks, ugly chicks wearing the flag as a bikini is a total disrespect and must be stopped!

kevpks
9/20/2009, 09:25 PM

I could see booing them. They were overpriced. We put a similar beatdown on Tulsa for free.

SunnySooner
9/20/2009, 09:25 PM
why don't you go to one and see for yourself ;)

I'm going to the Thug U game, and it will be my first away game. We're Navy gypsies, just haven't lived in the right places over the years to attend any games. Taking my son for his birthday and his 1st ever OU game, but don't worry, even though he was born in Rhode Island, and has never lived in OK, he is a SOONER thru and thru!!:)

StormySooner-IN
9/20/2009, 09:27 PM
Vet here
Bitch at ME fer doing what I want and get a face full of shat ya dont want :cool:

See this is the guy. Thats all that i gotta say.

olevetonahill
9/20/2009, 09:29 PM

If I were the Only one YES
I dont by the way
But I will defend yer right to do so .;)

Eielson
9/20/2009, 09:29 PM
So is this not the home of the Sooners or something? Did Oklahoma secede?

sooner ngintunr
9/20/2009, 09:36 PM
Its for sure aggy. Just callin it how I see it.

FWIW, while standing at attention, you don't speak.

sitzpinkler
9/20/2009, 09:38 PM
it is tacky and disrespectful to the National Anthem

no, it isn't

olevetonahill
9/20/2009, 09:41 PM
Ya Know I mite whoop yerass fer burning the Flag
But I will defend yer right to do so :cool:

olevetonahill
9/20/2009, 09:43 PM
Nother thang
I DONT place my hand over my heart
I SALUTE
Cant change some things ;)

Sooner04
9/20/2009, 09:45 PM
It's been happening for a while. And it's retarded.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/20/2009, 09:54 PM
Well I'm proud to be an American where at least I know I'm freeeeee!

And I won't forget the swagger we had when Mike Stoops ran the D.

And I'll proudly STAAAAND UP next to you, shouting "SOONERS!" when we sing.

If you think that's rude you can suck my baaaaawls...

And shine my diiiing-aaaaaa-liiiiiiing!

Tulsa_Fireman
9/20/2009, 09:55 PM
AMERICA!

F*%K YEAH!

tommieharris91
9/20/2009, 10:01 PM
There's no need to boo the other teams fight song unless it's osu's or texass's fight song coming out of the band. I see nothing wrong with booing the other team as they run on the field though.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/20/2009, 10:05 PM
Quit distracting the argument.

THIS IS ABOUT DISRESPECTING AMERICA!

soonerboy
9/20/2009, 10:06 PM
well its not like we're wrong i mean america is the home of the sooners right? just sayin hehe

tommieharris91
9/20/2009, 10:07 PM
Quit distracting the argument.

THIS IS ABOUT DISRESPECTING AMERICA!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_OJl6ATsGFco/Sd-GJFqBrhI/AAAAAAAAFkY/uJoDHtFeQTY/s320/a1.jpg

Tulsa_Fireman
9/20/2009, 10:13 PM
*stands in front of the message board*

Ladies and gentlemen, I'll be brief. The issue here is not whether we broke a few rules, or took a few liberties with our female party guests - we did.

But you can't hold a whole stadium section responsible for the behavior of a few, sick twisted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole stadium? And if the whole stadium is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our fanbase in general? I put it to you, TommieHarris91...

Isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want to me, but I'm not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America!

Gentlemen!

Petro-Sooner
9/20/2009, 10:16 PM
HEH

tommieharris91
9/20/2009, 10:29 PM
*stands in front of the message board*

Ladies and gentlemen, I'll be brief. The issue here is not whether we broke a few rules, or took a few liberties with our female party guests - we did.

But you can't hold a whole stadium section responsible for the behavior of a few, sick twisted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole stadium? And if the whole stadium is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our fanbase in general? I put it to you, TommieHarris91...

Isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want to me, but I'm not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America!

Gentlemen!
http://www.filmdope.com/Gallery/ActorsM/11314-13443.gif

sooner59
9/20/2009, 10:43 PM
I said it once and I'll say it again. I could care less. It has gone on since I have been going to games and I don't think it is a big deal. I asked one of my friends (who is a Marine) and he said, "Really?.....the whole stadium does that? Awesome!". I then proceeded to not give a ****.

Collier11
9/20/2009, 10:52 PM
no, it isn't

yea, it is.

Lott's Bandana
9/20/2009, 10:55 PM
Since I earned teh privilege of saluting, I do so. Therefore, I don't sing, nor do I yell anything at the beginning, middle or end.

If you want to yell Sooners, by all means knock yourself out.

As a collective group, Oklahomans are the epitome of respectful and patriotic...believe me, I have lived in places where simply standing for the anthem is viewed as an annoyance.

ouwasp
9/20/2009, 11:00 PM
A lot of people like to get upset about other
peoples' actions that in the big scheme of
things amount to a hill of beans.

Very Profound

Collier11
9/20/2009, 11:12 PM
Very profound indeed :D

There are alot of things that arent right that really arent that big of a deal, still doesnt make them right

Tulsa_Fireman
9/20/2009, 11:19 PM
According to YOU they aren't right.

According to AMERICA, I win.

olevetonahill
9/20/2009, 11:22 PM
It's been happening for a while. And it's retarded.

Yer opinion, and you are entitled to it

Since I earned teh privilege of saluting, I do so. Therefore, I don't sing, nor do I yell anything at the beginning, middle or end.

If you want to yell Sooners, by all means knock yourself out.

As a collective group, Oklahomans are the epitome of respectful and patriotic...believe me, I have lived in places where simply standing for the anthem is viewed as an annoyance.

Ditto, I took a little lead fer this country

Very profound indeed :D

There are alot of things that arent right that really arent that big of a deal, still doesnt make them right

Not saying its right or wrong . Its Just America. Home of the FREE

GottaHavePride
9/20/2009, 11:25 PM
1. A lot of people have fought and died to give Americans the right to say any damn thing they please. That's pretty damn cool.

2. Oklahoma Memorial Stadium is a memorial to brave SOONERS who fought and died in defense of that very right. Correct?

3. I bet every one of those brave people being memorialized are pretty damn happy that, six times a year, 85,000 people gather at their stadium and acknowledge that there have been a lot of brave soldiers, but some of them were elite. They were SOONERS.

With that said, I would never, EVER, change the last word to Sooners anywhere except at Owen Field before an OU Football game. And if I'm going to change that word, I'm not going to do it quietly, like I'm ashamed of being a Sooner.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/20/2009, 11:27 PM
With that said, I would never, EVER, change the last word to Sooners anywhere except at Owen Field before an OU Football game. And if I'm going to change that word, I'm not going to do it quietly, like I'm ashamed of being a Sooner.

This says it a THOUSAND times better than I ever could.

Collier11
9/20/2009, 11:28 PM
[B]Not saying its right or wrong . Its Just America. Home of the FREE

Come on Vet, like I said the "freedom of speech" argument is weak, of course they have the freedom to say what they wish during the national anthem, doesnt make it right.

Same thing as people who dont take their hat off or who dont put their hand over their hearts during the natl anthem(not talking about those who salute), is it a big deal, no, is it disrespectful, yes, can they do what they want, yes

Get my drift?

Tulsa_Fireman
9/20/2009, 11:29 PM
I don't "get your drift".

Collier11
9/20/2009, 11:31 PM
its not a hard concept to understand, if you dont "get" it then I cant help you. IM not saying it makes anyone a bad person, I am just saying I dont like it and I think it is disrespectful

olevetonahill
9/20/2009, 11:31 PM
1. A lot of people have fought and died to give Americans the right to say any damn thing they please. That's pretty damn cool.
Ya got that right bro
2. Oklahoma Memorial Stadium is a memorial to brave SOONERS who fought and died in defense of that very right. Correct?

Am I wrong but isn't the correct term " Oklahoma WAR memorial Stadium ?

3. I bet every one of those brave people being memorialized are pretty damn happy that, six times a year, 85,000 people gather at their stadium and acknowledge that there have been a lot of brave soldiers, but some of them were elite. They were SOONERS.

I was a Ca. Brat before I became a SOONER

Ditto :cool:

Sooner04
9/20/2009, 11:32 PM
The free speech deal is a large can of worms. Can't one techincally burn the flag if they so choose?

I just don't like it. I would never in a million years be so cavalier to change the words to the NATIONAL anthem. But, then again, I never had the guts to sing the batman version of jingle bells either.

I find "home of the Sooners" to be extraordinarily disprespectful. The guy next to me might not. That's his choice. I've made mine too. I just don't get the appeal.

Boren's a smart guy, but that stupid schpeel he forces the PA guy to read before the anthem only encourages people to yell Sooners louder. Surely they realize that now.

josh09
9/20/2009, 11:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7p4mioawIA

olevetonahill
9/20/2009, 11:40 PM
Come on Vet, like I said the "freedom of speech" argument is weak, of course they have the freedom to say what they wish during the national anthem, doesnt make it right.

Same thing as people who dont take their hat off or who dont put their hand over their hearts during the natl anthem(not talking about those who salute), is it a big deal, no, is it disrespectful, yes, can they do what they want, yes

Get my drift?

C11
Know I respect you
Go here read this
" For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know "

good site

http://smalltownveteran.typepad.com/posts/2005/11/for_those_who_h.html

olevetonahill
9/20/2009, 11:43 PM
The free speech deal is a large can of worms. Can't one techincally burn the flag if they so choose?
Yes, Ya know what , Ill go to WAR again to defend that *******s right to do so .
I just don't like it. I would never in a million years be so cavalier to change the words to the NATIONAL anthem. But, then again, I never had the guts to sing the batman version of jingle bells either.

Said I aint much in favor of it , Ill leave yer determination of yer guts up to you .
I find "home of the Sooners" to be extraordinarily disprespectful. The guy next to me might not. That's his choice. I've made mine too. I just don't get the appeal.

Boren's a smart guy, but that stupid schpeel he forces the PA guy to read before the anthem only encourages people to yell Sooners louder. Surely they realize that now.

Again yer choice bro

Collier11
9/20/2009, 11:44 PM
Cool site Vet, I have the utmost respect for all the rights that others have fought for, even those rights that I dont like.

My only point is that bringing freedom of speech into this converstation is a little silly, im not saying to take away anyones rights, to force anyone to say Brave, all im saying is I think it disrespects the National Anthem and what it stands for to say Sooners at the end of the Anthem.

But then again, I have heard that many Vets dont even like the National Anthem in the current state because it was originally written as a poem and not a song

olevetonahill
9/20/2009, 11:50 PM
C11
I respect you and yer opinions along with everyone elses her
Thats why I love America The Home of the FREE
Ive held friends while they died , I took a small piece of lead.
If you dont like it then I respect yer ideas along with 04s
Just remember
we all served and fought fer yer right to disagree.;)

soonerborn30
9/21/2009, 12:50 AM
I remember being at a Dallas Cowboys game about 18 years ago and they did it there. And we've been doing it at Owen for quite some time now, maybe 10 years?
As for booing the visitors, I think we should adopt the tactic I saw at the OU bball games I went to as a kid (Mookie, Stacy King, Billy Tubbs era). When they announced the starting lineup for the visitor, everybody sat there with newspapers open, shouting "who cares?!" after each name was called. I thought that was cool. Maybe we could give the students some newspapers. Hell, who knows, they may actually accidentally read it, too!

Leroy Lizard
9/21/2009, 01:58 AM
What's disrespectful is the way the Star Spangled Banner is treated by celebrity singers, especially those that like to "jazz" it up. You know, that kind that go "yibby dibbity dippy dippy do" when singing.

sooner59
9/21/2009, 02:17 AM
I think it's fair to say that this argument is subjective. Some agree, some disagree. Even those who fought and took lead for our country and that very song don't necessarily agree. I say everyone knows we live in the land of the brave, but in Oklahoma Memorial Stadium, if people want to say land of the Sooners, then its their right.....regardless of others' opinions. And for six days during the year, they can honor those Sooners who gave their life defending their right to say it. Just my opinion.

badger
9/21/2009, 07:17 AM

After the moment of silence for the guy who fired Bobby Knight, I started to politely applaud, but quickly stopped when nobody else did :D

w0lfe
9/21/2009, 08:03 AM
I really don't care if you say sooners or not at the end of the national anthem. I think people take things way to seriously. Its not like they do it to intentionally disrespect the country. Which would you rather have, the guy that screams sooners at the end of the song or the drunk idiot that we had a couple seasons ago screaming at the injured guy on the field?

w0lfe
9/21/2009, 08:05 AM
Also, as for booing the opposing team. Come on now, are we just supposed to welcome every team in whose intention is to try and beat us and ruin OUr title shot? Why dont we just start hi-fiving them as they come onto the field....

beer4me
9/21/2009, 08:38 AM
When the NA is playing for that time my mind is not on the game for those few minutes.

When the NA is playing I stand face the flag and salute (yes as a veteran (50% disabled) I am allowed to do that under US Section 9 of title 4, United States Code)

The NA was accepted by the US to serve several functions.

One of which is to help remind us of who we are as a nation (not just a one state) and the price that has been paid and will be paid in the future.

As a veteran when I am listening to the NA my mind is remembering my days in active duty, I am remembering some of my service mates that didn’t come home.

I also remember the 7 months of rehab it took me to get back to full duty and the months in the hospital.

I also am thinking of my son who is in the sand for his 3rd tour and praying and hoping he comes home and is not asked to give his life for my country.

For those few precious moments I remember all of this and remember why our NA was adopted and the function it serves.

I myself do not yell sooners during the NA I chose to be more respectful to the moment

I also know that we have freedom of speech and I therefore know that many chose to be to what in my mind is disrespectful and that is their right.

I just wonder what other people are thinking while the NA is played, don’t appear to me that many are not thinking about it’s purpose.

OK off the soapbox now.

badger
9/21/2009, 08:43 AM
I just wonder what other people are thinking while the NA is played, don’t appear to me that many are not thinking about it’s purpose.

What other people around me hopefully aren't thinking:

D@mmit, that girl can't sing! I hope I don't have to listen to that voice the rest of the effing game.

:D

beer4me
9/21/2009, 08:53 AM

D@mmit, that girl can't sing! I hope I don't have to listen to that voice the rest of the effing game.

:D :D

Although I do remember hearing Fatazz Barr singing the NA on tv one time and my mind wasn't where is was supposed to have been there that time.

DakotaSooner
9/21/2009, 09:24 AM
As an Army vet I personally think it is more disrepectful to not take off your hat then it is to yell Sooners at the end of it. Not sure why I think that, it just gets to me.

Collier11
9/21/2009, 09:49 AM

I thought the guys around you would be thinking, "damn I wish she was wearing a more low cut shirt" :eek: :D

w0lfe
9/21/2009, 10:08 AM
As an Army vet I personally think it is more disrepectful to not take off your hat then it is to yell Sooners at the end of it. Not sure why I think that, it just gets to me.
I completely agree with this. Thats something that actually irritates me. I can get some funky hair styles after having that hat on for hours. But i guarantee you everytime the anthem plays, everyone around me will see that funky doo

TexasLidig8r
9/21/2009, 10:13 AM
When the NA is playing for that time my mind is not on the game for those few minutes.

When the NA is playing I stand face the flag and salute (yes as a veteran (50% disabled) I am allowed to do that under US Section 9 of title 4, United States Code)

The NA was accepted by the US to serve several functions.

One of which is to help remind us of who we are as a nation (not just a one state) and the price that has been paid and will be paid in the future.

As a veteran when I am listening to the NA my mind is remembering my days in active duty, I am remembering some of my service mates that didn’t come home.

I also remember the 7 months of rehab it took me to get back to full duty and the months in the hospital.

I also am thinking of my son who is in the sand for his 3rd tour and praying and hoping he comes home and is not asked to give his life for my country.

For those few precious moments I remember all of this and remember why our NA was adopted and the function it serves.

I myself do not yell sooners during the NA I chose to be more respectful to the moment

I also know that we have freedom of speech and I therefore know that many chose to be to what in my mind is disrespectful and that is their right.

OK off the soapbox now.

Well said sir... well said indeed... and thank you.

OklaPony
9/21/2009, 10:32 AM

^^^This^^^
Well stated... spec headed your way.

What's disrespectful is the way the Star Spangled Banner is treated by celebrity singers, especially those that like to "jazz" it up. You know, that kind that go "yibby dibbity dippy dippy do" when singing.
I was terrified at the prospect of Patti LaBelle singing the NA at OU-FSU Orange Bowl in Jan. 2001. I never thought I'd be so thrilled to hear Toby Keith who ended up being the performer instead.

beer4me
9/21/2009, 11:43 AM

Yea and in case you forgot the title of the song is National Anthem not Sooner Anthem.

OKLA21FAN
9/21/2009, 11:48 AM
Yea and in case you forgot the title of the song is National Anthem not Sooner Anthem.

but but....they stole our land and moved us here...then stole it again!!!! :pop:

Lott's Bandana
9/21/2009, 11:59 AM
It's never the wrong time to post this:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1023026/index.htm

BOB KALSU

Sorry, but the story is too long (5 pages) to cut and paste.

A NAME ON THE WALL
Sports Illustrated - July 23, 2001

Steve Zabel, an Oklahoma (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/topic/article/Oklahoma_Sooners/1900-01-01/2100-12-31/mdd/index.htm) tight end at the time, recalls the day Buck Nystrom, the offensive line coach, got peeved at the taxi-squad players who were going against his linemen in the "board drill," in which two players lined up at opposite ends of an eight-foot-long plank and ran into each other like mountain goats, the winner being the one left standing on the board. Disgusted by what he saw as a lack of intensity, the 215-pound Nystrom—"the meanest coach I was ever around," says Zabel—got on the board and turned his cap backward. Without pads or a helmet, he took on all his linemen, one by one. Finally Kalsu got on the board.Kalsu, at 220 pounds, had become the biggest hammer on the Sooners (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/topic/article/Oklahoma_Sooners/1900-01-01/2100-12-31/mdd/index.htm)' offensive line. He took off down the board. "He hit Buck so hard that he lifted him off the board and planted him on the ground with his helmet on Buck's chest," says Zabel. "Everybody was running around yelling, 'Kalsu killed him! Kalsu killed Buck!' "
Some rounds you heard falling, some you didn't. Fotias did not hear this one. Jim Harris (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/topic/article/Jim_Harris/1900-01-01/2100-12-31/mdd/index.htm), the battalion surgeon, was across the firebase when he heard the splitting crack and turned his head toward it. The 82-mm mortar landed five feet from the bunker door. "I can still feel the heat of the blast coming past me and the concussion knocking me over," says Renner. "It flipped me backward, my helmet flew off, and the back of my head hit the ground."
Johnson (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/topic/article/Earl_Johnson/1900-01-01/2100-12-31/mdd/index.htm) fell sprawling on the ground. Fotias, at the mouth of the bunker, saw the sun go out. "I remember this tremendous noise," he says, "and darkness. And being blown off my feet and flying through the door of the bunker and landing at the bottom of the steps, six feet down, and this tremendous weight crushing me. I couldn't see. I couldn't hear. I had dirt in my eyes, and my eyes were tearing. I rubbed them, and then I could see again. I pushed off this weight that was on top of me, and I realized it was Bob."

Jill and Bob Jr. have suffered a keen ambivalence for years. From all they have heard about their father from Jan and the Darrow clan, they have grown to love and admire him without having known him. They are proud of all he accomplished and the honorable way he conducted his life, but they are angry at him too. They grew up fatherless, after all, having to comfort a lonely, grieving mother whose pain and struggles continually touched them.
The children turned out well. Jill, outgoing and warm, is a housewife in Oklahoma City (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/topic/article/Oklahoma_City/1900-01-01/2100-12-31/mdd/index.htm), the mother of three with a fourth on the way. Bob, soft-spoken and reflective, is an aviation lawyer in Oklahoma City (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/topic/article/Oklahoma_City/1900-01-01/2100-12-31/mdd/index.htm) and the father of two. Asked what he would say to his father, Bob says, "I would embrace him and tell him I love him. It would not be derogatory, and it would not be mean, but I would ask him, 'Did you fully contemplate the consequences of your decision? I feel like I lost out, and I wish you had not made the decision to go.' " Bob Jr. considers what he's said for a moment, then goes on: "I'm equally proud he made the decision. That's the kind of man I want to be, to have the integrity that he had." That, of course, is the rub. Bob Kalsu (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/topic/article/Bob_Kalsu/1900-01-01/2100-12-31/mdd/index.htm) made that decision precisely because he was the kind of man he was.
All who knew him remember him in different ways. The clan, as a family man. The football players, as a tough jock. Then there are those who knew Kalsu on that terrible hill. They have the most painful and poignant memories of him. Fotias has trouble talking about Kalsu, his voice soft and filled with sorrow. So does Renner. He walked over to Kalsu's body lying outside the bunker and peered into his motionless face. He would see that face for years. Now, however, "I can't see the face anymore," Renner says. "I can see his silhouette. I can't see a lot of their faces, only their silhouettes."
Renner is having trouble getting out the words. They come in a whisper. "I've thought of him every Memorial Day," he says. "In my heart, I pay homage to him. And Johnson (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/topic/article/Earl_Johnson/1900-01-01/2100-12-31/mdd/index.htm). They are all very important." He closes his eyes and bows his head and quietly weeps.

sitzpinkler
9/21/2009, 12:18 PM
yea, it is.

no, really, it isn't

retnuH03
9/21/2009, 12:30 PM
worst thread ever

beer4me
9/21/2009, 12:34 PM
no, really, it isn't

Yes it really is

jumperstop
9/21/2009, 12:43 PM
Vet here

agree

Turd_Ferguson
9/21/2009, 01:02 PM
Is it me, or does mdklatt always have a stick up his ***:confused:

Gresho Murford
9/21/2009, 01:24 PM
I remember being at a Dallas Cowboys game about 18 years ago and they did it there. And we've been doing it at Owen for quite some time now, maybe 10 years?
As for booing the visitors, I think we should adopt the tactic I saw at the OU bball games I went to as a kid (Mookie, Stacy King, Billy Tubbs era). When they announced the starting lineup for the visitor, everybody sat there with newspapers open, shouting "who cares?!" after each name was called. I thought that was cool. Maybe we could give the students some newspapers. Hell, who knows, they may actually accidentally read it, too!

somebody hasn't been to a bball game lately;)

Sasakwa
9/21/2009, 01:41 PM
Its not original, its not funny. There is plenty of time before and after that song to support your team. Copying a gimmic from some other teams is bad enough, copying one that is disrespectful is worse.

Fraggle145
9/21/2009, 01:46 PM
Here is what I want to know... Who gets to make the rules on what is or isnt disrespectful?

Gresho Murford
9/21/2009, 01:47 PM
Its not original, its not funny. There is plenty of time before and after that song to support your team. Copying a gimmic from some other teams is bad enough, copying one that is disrespectful is worse.

nobody is trying to be funny. as for originality Im sure there are other places that do it, but I haven't witnessed any

Collier11
9/21/2009, 01:50 PM
Here is what I want to know... Who gets to make the rules on what is or isnt disrespectful?

Im really surprised by some of you that you are making this so difficult, how do you NOT see this as being disrespectful to the National Anthem, the ONE time per game that we honor the Flag and pay tribute

Dont give me the argument that it really isnt that big of a deal, sure the NA is a token gesture but it still deserves respect.

Collier11
9/21/2009, 01:51 PM
nobody is trying to be funny. as for originality Im sure there are other places that do it, but I haven't witnessed any

so whats your point?

Lott's Bandana
9/21/2009, 01:57 PM
Is it me, or does mdklatt always have a stick up his ***:confused:

MDKlatt is The Man. Trust me.

He's been to Fiji after all...

Gresho Murford
9/21/2009, 02:06 PM
so whats your point?

i was refuting what the poster said

sitzpinkler
9/21/2009, 02:07 PM
Yes it really is

no, it isn't

Fraggle145
9/21/2009, 02:08 PM
Im really surprised by some of you that you are making this so difficult, how do you NOT see this as being disrespectful to the National Anthem, the ONE time per game that we honor the Flag and pay tribute

Dont give me the argument that it really isnt that big of a deal, sure the NA is a token gesture but it still deserves respect.

I actually find it to be more respectful to yell Sooners in that we have taken the message to heart and feel that it describes us. JMHO. Call me tacky all you want, you are mistaken.

Lemme put it another way. Usually I defer to my friends in the service on these types of issues as they have earned it a lot more than I have. And when I stand there next to them at the game and they yell "Sooners!" they seem to have an awful lot of pride in their voice.

I think this sounds just like the PC police trying to tell people what is and isnt right.

Collier11
9/21/2009, 02:12 PM
Im not trying to tell anyone they are wrong, I am just saying I dont like it.

Its all good Frag, I still love ya ;)

sitzpinkler
9/21/2009, 02:13 PM

How do you see it as being disrespectul? I'm a vet and in no way do I find it disrespectful to me, my service to the country or any other vet's service to the country.

Collier11
9/21/2009, 02:18 PM
Well as I have said several times, there is one time a game where we get away from the Sooners, the gameday, the drinking, the watching football, etc... to honor America, I think it is really petty that during that one time we choose to disrespect the song by replacing Brave with Sooners.

That song/poem was written to honor America, not OU.

Is it my opinion, yes. Do I think those who do say Sooners are idiots, no. Do I like it, no. I think it is classless more than anything

Gresho Murford
9/21/2009, 02:20 PM
Well as I have said several times, there is one time a game where we get away from the Sooners, the gameday, the drinking, the watching football, etc... to honor America, I think it is really petty that during that one time we choose to disrespect the song by replacing Brave with Sooners.

That song/poem was written to honor America, not OU.

Is it my opinion, yes. Do I think those who do say Sooners are idiots, no. Do I like it, no. I think it is classless more than anything

we all have different opinions. I just look at it as the word Brave encompasses Sooners,etc. We are just being more specific. Its not disrespectful in my opinion

stoops the eternal pimp
9/21/2009, 02:26 PM
I don't yell Sooners but it doesn't bother me that anyone else does...I just think of that one armed Vet at Boys State telling me to always show respect for the flag....That to me is the important thing..

In fact, I get a little angry when the song is being played and people are dickin around, talkin on their phones, and teaching their kids bad habits of disrespect..but thats me personally..

I think the real issue is the people that insist on trying to do the wave..those are the people that should be burned at the stake

Collier11
9/21/2009, 02:28 PM
the wave should be abolished right alongside the macarena

Gresho Murford
9/21/2009, 02:35 PM
Deleted b/c I don't want to start a wave debate

Tulsa_Fireman
9/21/2009, 02:45 PM
Bah.

What REALLY should be banned are people that don't have swagger.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/21/2009, 02:55 PM
I can handle the "swagless" but its those dorn punks without moxie and no finish to them...

beer4me
9/21/2009, 02:58 PM
How do you see it as being disrespectul? I'm a vet and in no way do I find it disrespectful to me, my service to the country or any other vet's service to the country.

Don't pretend to speak for me as a vet.

I find is it in bad taste and disrespectful.

I find it bewildering that anyone with a straight face can say it is not.

Shows me that people have no concept or appreciation for what it means.

I wonder if anyone respects anything anymore.

Collier11
9/21/2009, 03:00 PM
nah, everyone just makes up there own rules anymore cus as long as they do that, they dont ever have to feel bad about anything

Collier11
9/21/2009, 03:01 PM
I can handle the "swagless" but its those dorn punks without moxie and no finish to them...

Oh I can finish, just sometimes it may happen before its supposed to happen :confused:

Gresho Murford
9/21/2009, 03:01 PM
Don't pretend to speak for me as a vet.

I find is it in bad taste and disrespectful.

I find it bewildering that anyone with a straight face can say it is not.

Shows me that people have no concept or appreciation for what it means.

I wonder if anyone respects anything anymore.

I'm sorry you feel that way. When I say SOONERS I am not saying it to disrespect the country or anyone else. I say it because America is the home of the Sooners and we are at a SOONERS sporting event. I know that the two sides will never agree on this issue. There really is no point to discuss it b/c nobody is going to change anybody's mind.

And I don't think sitz was trying to speak for you. I think he was just saying that he doesn't think it is disrespectful to other vets.

beer4me
9/21/2009, 03:05 PM

Frag your question is a double edged sword and should be pulled gently

What is disrespectable to me may not to you. And visa versa

You are entitled just as I am to have a opinion on this or anyother subject

But if I see/hear something that offends me I have the right to say so

Just as you do.

Everyone in this country is entitled to their opinions but should not be surpised that not everyone see's it the way they do

You may refer to my first post in this thread to refer Why I find it disrespectful

DakotaSooner
9/21/2009, 03:40 PM
It is disprectful. Not as bad as spitting on the flag, wiping your butt with it, or burning it, but still disrespectful. I personally do not say Sooners when I go to a game, but I do not say anything to the people around me that do. I don't mind it that much, at least they are paying some attention to the NA.

the Jackhole's that wear their hats, don't stand up, and don't shut up i do say something to after the song has finished.

I don't make the rules for the NA, but I do try to follow them as I think they were intended to be followed, and as my parents taught me.

Home of the free, because of the brave, not because of the Sooners. go OU

Gresho Murford
9/21/2009, 03:42 PM
Home of the free, because of the brave, not because of the Sooners. go OU

nobody is saying that though. We are just saying the America is the home of the Sooners (is it not)

Collier11
9/21/2009, 04:03 PM
and its a lame *** excuse for being selfish

Gresho Murford
9/21/2009, 04:04 PM
and its a lame *** excuse for being selfish

How am I being selfish?

Stitch Face
9/21/2009, 04:15 PM
In fact, I get a little angry when the song is being played and people are dickin around, talkin on their phones

Especially when the anthem is playing and someone's Boomer Sooner ringtone goes off.

beer4me
9/21/2009, 04:23 PM
How am I being selfish?

You are not being selfish just disrespectful to what the flag and the NA means and stands for, guess you think it is cute. Fine go with that and feel good about yourself

But I think it is dooshnish because I remember those that are serving and those that served while the NA is playing and respect for the saluting of the flag (my case).

And those that have fallen and those that will fall.

This is a friggin football game albeit with the best program that has ever existed or will ever exist, but yet there are higher things in life for many of us.

Double speak all you want it still boils down to the NATIONAL Anthem not Sooner Anthem and plain out it is nothing more than disrespect because it is NOT being played for the sooners it is being played for our country and those "that gave their last full measure"

Period

sitzpinkler
9/21/2009, 04:33 PM
You are not being selfish just disrespectful to what the flag and the NA means and stands for, guess you think it is cute. Fine go with that and feel good about yourself

But I think it is dooshnish because I remember those that are serving and those that served while the NA is playing and respect for the saluting of the flag (my case).

And those that have fallen and those that will fall.

This is a friggin football game albeit with the best program that has ever existed or will ever exist, but yet there are higher things in life for many of us.

Double speak all you want it still boils down to the NATIONAL Anthem not Sooner Anthem and plain out it is nothing more than disrespect because it is NOT being played for the sooners it is being played for our country and those "that gave their last full measure"

Period

Haha, you're taking this whole thing WAY too seriously. It's not disrespectful, I'm not going to stop doing, get over it. There are better things to worry and stress about.

Gresho Murford
9/21/2009, 04:36 PM
You are not being selfish just disrespectful to what the flag and the NA means and stands for, guess you think it is cute. Fine go with that and feel good about yourself I do feel good about myself. I don't need a better than thou to tell me how to act.

And those that have fallen and those that will fall.You think you are the only one that knows somebody that is fighting for us? So are all the vets that disagree with you dooshes?

This is a friggin football game albeit with the best program that has ever existed or will ever exist, but yet there are higher things in life for many of us.Exactly right.

Period
And how is changing one word that represents what 85,000 people are coming together for disrespectful?

I, like most people, get the chills and choked up when I hear it played. Just b/c I say Sooner at the end at a football game doesn't change what the anthem means or how it represents America. Not in the least bit

beer4me
9/21/2009, 04:39 PM
Haha, you're taking this whole thing WAY too seriously. It's not disrespectful, I'm not going to stop doing, get over it. There are better things to worry and stress about.

Stress about it??? Then why did you reply to this post?? I didn't expect anything less of you. I expected you to do and say just what you did.

So get over it. In this country you have a 100% right to be a doosh.

As my grandparents always taught me, "do what you are good at".

So just keep up the good work.

Gresho Murford
9/21/2009, 04:40 PM
Stress about it??? Then why did you reply to this post?? I didn't expect anything less of you. I expected you to do and say just what you did.

So get over it. In this country you have a 100% right to be a doosh.

As my grandparents always taught me, "do what you are good at".

So just keep up the good work.

imo the only one in this thread that sounds like a doosh is you.

beer4me
9/21/2009, 04:42 PM
imo the only one in this thread that sounds like a doosh is you.

Why Gresho are we cross? Why you know Gresho if I didn't think we were friends I just don't think I could stand it

Gresho Murford
9/21/2009, 04:43 PM
Why Gresho are we cross? Why you know Gresho if I didn't think we were friends I just don't think I could stand it

im just saying that atleast all the other people that disagreed were for the most part respectful about it. You , not so much

beer4me
9/21/2009, 04:45 PM
im just saying that atleast all the other people that disagreed were for the most part respectful about it. You , not so much

Well Groucho I am sorry I hurt your feelings. Now go ask mama to give you a sugar tit and put you into bed now

Collier11
9/21/2009, 04:50 PM
to say that we are taking this too seriously is correct, but it also shows how little respect you are showing for the situation that you dont think it is that big of a deal

Collier11
9/21/2009, 04:54 PM
what I am saying is there is a middle ground somewhere in here ;)

Gresho Murford
9/21/2009, 04:55 PM
Well Groucho I am sorry I hurt your feelings. Now go ask mama to give you a sugar tit and put you into bed now

wow...how old are you, 12?

Collier11
9/21/2009, 04:56 PM
12 is too young to serve in the US military, pay tention

Gresho Murford
9/21/2009, 04:59 PM
12 is too young to serve in the US military, pay tention

Collier, you don't know me so don't try to act like you do. I do respect the flag and the USA and my parents did a damn fine job of raising me.

Instead of questioning me about my parents how about you question the guy that goes around calling people dooshes that don't agree with him.

To make assumptions about me being raised and what kind of person i am based on me saying Sooners instead of Brave (only at OU events) is pretty sad and weak.

Collier11
9/21/2009, 05:01 PM
Im questioning how your only defense of yourself is that the Sooner nation is part of the US and we are brave too and blah blah blah, atleast give me a good reason.

Some people on here ive been talking to about this have given me decent reasons even though I disagree, yours is weak!

beer4me
9/21/2009, 05:01 PM
wow...how old are you, 12?

I will have you know I am 12 1/2 ;)

You really should read all the posts I made in this thread before you fail to show your intelligence.

I said in my first point I have a son that is in the sand now for his third tour be a little hard for me to be 12 or 12 1/2 to have a son older than you.

Oh maybe not..nm

Gresho Murford
9/21/2009, 05:03 PM
I will have you know I am 12 1/2 ;)

You really should read all the posts I made in this thread before you fail to show your intelligence.

I said in my first point I have a son that is in the sand now for his third tour be a little hard for me to be 12 or 12 1/2 to have a son older than you.

Oh maybe not..nm

wow...nothing gets by you. B/c everything on message boards has to be literal

Gresho Murford
9/21/2009, 05:04 PM
Im questioning how your only defense of yourself is that the Sooner nation is part of the US and we are brave too and blah blah blah, atleast give me a good reason.

Some people on here ive been talking to about this have given me decent reasons even though I disagree, yours is weak!

whatever. I don't think it is weak but ok.

Would you rather me say because its what I want to say? Is that better for you? If not, I guess you will have to live with my "weak" reasoning.

Collier11
9/21/2009, 05:06 PM
It would be the same thing

soonervegas
9/21/2009, 05:07 PM
Can we get a board where we just talk football and have another board for the pre and post game discussion?

Thanks.

Gresho Murford
9/21/2009, 05:07 PM
lol collier you are so pathetic.

What are you, like 12?

Im glad you find the need to red me about 20 times. Haha.

and all b/c I am disagreeing with you. Shows your maturity

sitzpinkler
9/21/2009, 05:10 PM

the same can be said of your reasoning

Collier11
9/21/2009, 05:10 PM
lol collier you are so pathetic.

What are you, like 12?

Did you really just use that line again?

Im glad you find the need to red me about 20 times. Haha.

and all b/c I am disagreeing with you. Shows your maturity

Has nothing to do with you disagreeing with me, has to do with your weak azz explanations

Collier11
9/21/2009, 05:12 PM
the same can be said of your reasoning

my reasoning is quite sound, lets try this again

National Anthem created as a brief way to honor the Flag and what it represents

Home of the Brave is the last line of the NA to honor those who fought to defend that flag

You people bastardize the one oppurtunity to do that honoring by replacing brave with Sooners

I could care less if you disagree with me, what I do care about is you and Greshos weak argument in defense of that

Collier11
9/21/2009, 05:16 PM
Let me say this to you Sitz, you say you are a Vet and it doesnt bother you but it is obvious that there are Vets on this board and likely a bunch more in the stadium whom it does bother, wouldnt you rather have people who didnt serve err on the side of those who are upset by it than those who arent?

10,000!

Collier11
9/21/2009, 05:22 PM
Note to babies, publicly whining about spek on this board is against the rules

Note to babies, publicly whining about spek and then turning around and negging someone in response is Funny

Packer898
9/21/2009, 05:46 PM
*Sighs*

Is it disrespectful for someone to sing the wrong words( which happens ALOT if you know them)? No. Is it disrespectful for someone to sing it off-key like they are strangling a cat? No.

Come on people its the intent that matters. People that substitute Sooners are not doing it to be disrespectful anymore than someone that gets the words wrong.

I myself dont mind someone substituting Sooners for Brave because I realize that they are not doing it to be disrespectful. Someone burning a flag that has been bought and paid for by the countless sacrifices of many a brave american on the other hand really burns by ***. Why? because they are doing it to be an ***. Plain and simple. As a 'former' marine who has served our country I am proud to hear my fellow Oklahomans shout 'Sooners' and always will be.

Semper Fidelis
Boomer Sooner

sidewinder517
9/21/2009, 07:38 PM
Can't we all just get along. :confused: My dream is for all of America to feel sooner love and feel what I feel when Boomer and Sooner come running onto the field! :D Or when the Pride of Oklahoma plays Oklahoma. It gives me chills. :) ........ Well maybe not saxet. :rolleyes:

Stitch Face
9/21/2009, 09:55 PM
Truly this is a house divided.

btk108
9/21/2009, 10:28 PM
I refuse to help prolong this thread......DANG IT....ok...now I do....*sigh*

Gresho Murford
9/22/2009, 09:43 AM
Let me say this to you Sitz, you say you are a Vet and it doesnt bother you but it is obvious that there are Vets on this board and likely a bunch more in the stadium whom it does bother, wouldnt you rather have people who didnt serve err on the side of those who are upset by it than those who arent?

10,000!
I have actually only heard a hand full of vets say it bothers them. Most of the vets say they don't care and they join in.

Note to babies, publicly whining about spek on this board is against the rules

Note to babies, publicly whining about spek and then turning around and negging someone in response is Funny
"Spek"ing is retarded and I wouldn't waste my time to do it so I don't know who you are talking about.

Sooner04
9/22/2009, 09:55 AM
he's talking about sitzpinkler.

Fraggle145
9/22/2009, 10:06 AM

10,000!

Dude, I am just saying this sounds exactly like the PC arguments that you (if my guess is right) probably want to toss out the window.

Collier11
9/22/2009, 10:16 AM
I think being PC is a little more ok when it has to do with honoring our country, as a whole I cant stand the way our country has become so PC but this is a different instance

Jello Biafra
9/22/2009, 10:24 AM
Nother thang
I DONT place my hand over my heart
I SALUTE
Cant change some things ;)

same...

i will say this though...

you can do what you want. plenty of people i have known and loved died for your dumb *** rights to do so. be respectful and make sure you are thinking about what the flag means and the millions of men and women who have been wrapped in that flag. i don't think saying "sooners" will change that image.

know this, if you are wearing a hat, you will get smacked by me. if you are talking about your dumb asss pedicure at the new nietnamese spa down the street, you will get smacked by me. if you are talking bout the hawt asss chick that just moved in down the street. you will get a knock on your door for a party after the game ;)

sitzpinkler
9/22/2009, 10:33 AM
my reasoning is quite sound, lets try this again

National Anthem created as a brief way to honor the Flag and what it represents

Home of the Brave is the last line of the NA to honor those who fought to defend that flag

You people bastardize the one oppurtunity to do that honoring by replacing brave with Sooners

I could care less if you disagree with me, what I do care about is you and Greshos weak argument in defense of that

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

your reasoning is sound because YOU say it is and our reasoning is weak because YOU say it is, haha

WRONG

Collier11
9/22/2009, 10:37 AM
being a condescending **** doesnt allow you to escape the fact that you are wrong about this, cool though, by all means, Sooner away

and by "our" I hope you are only referring to yourself

sitzpinkler
9/22/2009, 10:41 AM
being a condescending **** doesnt allow you to escape the fact that you are wrong about this, cool though, by all means, Sooner away

and by "our" I hope you are only referring to yourself

you're the one calling people disrespectful and in the post above you state that I'm wrong

edit: not to mention you sit there and state that my reasoning is flawed and yours is sound and that's not condescending? haha

there is no right or wrong here, it's a matter of opinion

now who's condescending?

sitzpinkler
9/22/2009, 10:43 AM
also, I never gave my reasoning

and by OUR I was referring to Gresho and I since you lumped me in with him even though, as I just stated, I never gave my reasoning

Collier11
9/22/2009, 10:47 AM
over it

Jello Biafra
9/22/2009, 10:49 AM
you guys need to get a f'ing room lol... too much sechsual tension here. ;)

sitz, this is collier, hes a capricorn, he likes candle lit pedicures and loves lasagna and moonlit walks in the park.

collier, this is sitz, hes a virgo, loves his baggy jorts, likes pizza and can tear up a mean mojito....

DakotaSooner
9/22/2009, 10:51 AM
I want to leave this thread alone but it is like trying to not look at a car accident....

gresho, sitz, and every one else who likes to yell Sooner, I will make a compromise that I will be ok with you yelling Sooner, as long as you take your hat off. Obviously you can do what you want and my opinion is only that, just trying to end this thread with everyone OU buddies.

Collier11
9/22/2009, 11:22 AM
Honestly, as ive said a few times in here, this really isnt that big of a deal. I do have an issue with those who think that saying Sooners is still somehow honoring the Flag and our country but whateveer.

The bigger deal is those who dont remove their hat or sit there and chit chat during the anthem.

Collier11
9/22/2009, 11:23 AM
Im a Taurus damnit

OKLA21FAN
9/22/2009, 11:29 AM
Honestly, as ive said a few times in here, this really isnt that big of a deal. I do have an issue with those who think that saying Sooners is still somehow honoring the Flag and our country but whateveer.

The bigger deal is those who dont remove their hat or sit there and chit chat during the anthem.

this brings up a sort of related question from Saturday's game. The 'gentleman' sitting being me pointed out during the Pride's playing of 'Grand Ole Flag', that I should 'take off my hat'. I politely told him that I would happily remove my hat during the NA, but was not aware such 'etiquette' for this song.

I would think that if this was such a 'tradition' that the 'PC' PA announcer would have requested us to do so.

what say you?

Collier11
9/22/2009, 11:30 AM
ive never heard of that one?

Fraggle145
9/22/2009, 11:41 AM
Im a Taurus damnit

We can tell ;)

Fraggle145
9/22/2009, 11:42 AM

Yep. I may disagree with you on the Sooners part ( i think that is all about intention), but if I see someone with a hat on etc... I've been known to say something about it.

sooner ngintunr
9/22/2009, 12:01 PM
Funny how some people will get pissed about someone not taking off their hat but think its OK to yell shiit out while the NA is being played.

US code basically says that you take your hat off, stand at attention (re: STFU) and face the flag.

That means to me that yelling while the NA is playing is just as bad of violation of US code than leaving your headgear on.

I personally don't care, just pointing a double standard that some of you guys seem to have.

BigRedJed
9/22/2009, 12:02 PM
"Dammit" doesn't contain the letter N. Carry on.

TexasLidig8r
9/22/2009, 12:31 PM
this brings up a sort of related question from Saturday's game. The 'gentleman' sitting being me pointed out during the Pride's playing of 'Grand Ole Flag', that I should 'take off my hat'.

http://www.bevosports.com/images/aggies-squeeze-small.jpg

WHOOP.. UNCOVER DAMMIT!!!!!!

Tulsa_Fireman
9/22/2009, 12:43 PM
this brings up a sort of related question from Saturday's game. The 'gentleman' sitting being me pointed out during the Pride's playing of 'Grand Ole Flag', that I should 'take off my hat'. I politely told him that I would happily remove my hat during the NA, but was not aware such 'etiquette' for this song.

I would think that if this was such a 'tradition' that the 'PC' PA announcer would have requested us to do so.

what say you?

See, this bugs the shizzle outta me, too.

I've seen/heard/been a part of that stuff with 'America, The Beautiful'. That is NOT the National Anthem. A beautiful song, yes. A song I love and appreciate, yes. But if we're doffing our bonnets for every song that says 'America' in it or offers praise for the colors, do we need to start snapping to attention and firing a salute for every time Lee Greenwood milks another buck out of 'God Bless The U.S.A.'?

Screw that and screw the officious jackass that thinks I'm taking a dump on America because I'm not doffing my bonnet for 'America, the Beautiful' OR shouting 'SOONERS!' instead of 'brave'. It ain't about freedom, it's about folks getting their nose bent out of joint for a bunch of bullcrap.

Wait, I'm sorry. That's "disrespectful", meaning I don't respect the colors OR the United States of America.

That's why this is mindnumbingly retarded. If I was facehumping a picture of George Washington while I crapped on the Constitution, THAT would be disrespectful. If I stood in an airport as our fighting men came home from overseas, spitting on them and calling them babykillers, THAT would be disrespectful. If I burned our colors as I burned an effigy of our standing president, THAT would be disrespectful. Last time I checked, I love this nation. Do my part for our men and women overseas. I actively express my opinion with my vote and my voice. I fly those proud colors on a flag pole in front of my house according to the rules of the U.S. Flag Code. I shake the hands and give my thanks to those that serve and have served, and do so with admiration and sincere honesty. I study the history. I live for our freedom and in defense thereof. And I pass these tenets on to my children.

But in the utterance of a single word, I am "disrespectful" of our nation, of our colors, and of the fighting men and women that protect and serve our land from enemies foreign and domestic?

Screw that. And screw anyone that has the sack to make that accusation because it's so far beyond stupid, there aren't words to truly explain it.

Gresho Murford
9/22/2009, 01:05 PM

I've seen/heard/been a part of that stuff with 'America, The Beautiful'. That is NOT the National Anthem. A beautiful song, yes. A song I love and appreciate, yes. But if we're doffing our bonnets for every song that says 'America' in it or offers praise for the colors, do we need to start snapping to attention and firing a salute for every time Lee Greenwood milks another buck out of 'God Bless The U.S.A.'?

Screw that and screw the officious jackass that thinks I'm taking a dump on America because I'm not doffing my bonnet for 'America, the Beautiful' OR shouting 'SOONERS!' instead of 'brave'. It ain't about freedom, it's about folks getting their nose bent out of joint for a bunch of bullcrap.

Wait, I'm sorry. That's "disrespectful", meaning I don't respect the colors OR the United States of America.

That's why this is mindnumbingly retarded. If I was facehumping a picture of George Washington while I crapped on the Constitution, THAT would be disrespectful. If I stood in an airport as our fighting men came home from overseas, spitting on them and calling them babykillers, THAT would be disrespectful. If I burned our colors as I burned an effigy of our standing president, THAT would be disrespectful. Last time I checked, I love this nation. Do my part for our men and women overseas. I actively express my opinion with my vote and my voice. I fly those proud colors on a flag pole in front of my house according to the rules of the U.S. Flag Code. I shake the hands and give my thanks to those that serve and have served, and do so with admiration and sincere honesty. I study the history. I live for our freedom and in defense thereof. And I pass these tenets on to my children.

But in the utterance of a single word, I am "disrespectful" of our nation, of our colors, and of the fighting men and women that protect and serve our land from enemies foreign and domestic?

Screw that. And screw anyone that has the sack to make that accusation because it's so far beyond stupid, there aren't words to truly explain it.

That was awesome! Couldn't have said it better myself

Jello Biafra
9/22/2009, 01:43 PM
those vets that protest this action need to look at the contract they made with the united states government then read this poem and REMEMBER why you enlisted. not for the right to stand and bitch at all of the people who say home of the sooners and the like...

For all the free people that still protest, you're welcome,
We protect you and you are protected by the best.
Your voice is strong and loud, but who will fight for you?
No one standing in your crowd.
We are your faterhs, brothers, and sons,
wearing the boots and carrying the guns.
We are the ones that leave all we own,
to make sure your future is carved in stone.
We are the ones who fight and die.
We might not be able to save the world, well at least we try.
We walked the paths to where we are at
and we want no choice other than that.
So when you rally your group to complain,
take a look in the back of your brain.
In order for that flag you love to fly,
wars must be fought and young men must die.
We come here to fight for the ones we hold dear,
if that's not respected, we would rather stay here.
So please stop yelling and put down your signs,
and pray for those behind enemy lines.
When the conflict is over and all is well,
be thankful that we chose to go

DakotaSooner
9/22/2009, 02:40 PM
Funny how some people will get pissed about someone not taking off there hat but think its OK to yell shiit out while the NA is being played.

US code basically says that you take your hat off, stand at attention (re: STFU) and face the flag.

That means to me that yelling while the NA is playing is just as bad of violation of US code than leaving your headgear on.

I personally don't care, just pointing a double standard that some of you guys seem to have.

i agree with you, not a double standard here just trying to find some middle ground.

olevetonahill
9/22/2009, 03:03 PM
Every year or 2 this same shat comes up
We get the Same Pros and Cons . :rolleyes:

humblesooner
9/22/2009, 03:08 PM

So you're saying this isn't going to get resolved by the end of the week?

Jello Biafra
9/22/2009, 03:11 PM

we DONT get the same arguments though...not only that but, i borught out a fuggin poem this time you ole coot ;)

Jello Biafra
9/22/2009, 03:49 PM
ahem....you old arse coot.

you're tougher than a boot baked on a bean stove.

Jello Biafra
9/22/2009, 03:50 PM
is that even a thing? bean stove? it sounded good in my head anyway

beer4me
9/22/2009, 04:02 PM
those vets that protest this action need to look at the contract they made with the united states government then read this poem and REMEMBER why you enlisted. not for the right to stand and bitch at all of the people who say home of the sooners and the like...

For all the free people that still protest, you're welcome,
We protect you and you are protected by the best.
Your voice is strong and loud, but who will fight for you?
No one standing in your crowd.
We are your faterhs, brothers, and sons,
wearing the boots and carrying the guns.
We are the ones that leave all we own,
to make sure your future is carved in stone.
We are the ones who fight and die.
We might not be able to save the world, well at least we try.
We walked the paths to where we are at
and we want no choice other than that.
So when you rally your group to complain,
take a look in the back of your brain.
In order for that flag you love to fly,
wars must be fought and young men must die.
We come here to fight for the ones we hold dear,
if that's not respected, we would rather stay here.
So please stop yelling and put down your signs,
and pray for those behind enemy lines.
When the conflict is over and all is well,
be thankful that we chose to go

Thanks for this post jello guess many do not remember the contract they signed

RedstickSooner
9/22/2009, 04:21 PM
It's an old argument, and one which I know has no real resolution. However, the National Anthem is codified in TITLE 36 > Subtitle I > Part A > CHAPTER 3 > § 301.

§ 301. National anthem
(a) Designation.— The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.
(b) Conduct During Playing.— During a rendition of the national anthem—
(1) when the flag is displayed—
(A) all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart;
(B) men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold the headdress at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and
(C) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note; and
(2) when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.

The lyrics are codified by law. If you're going to ignore them, why not wear a funny hat while you're at it? Or sit for it? Or do everything you can to keep your hand away from your heart?

It's not a fight song for the University. It's a fight song for America.

Gresho Murford
9/22/2009, 04:26 PM
It's an old argument, and one which I know has no real resolution. However, the National Anthem is codified in TITLE 36 > Subtitle I > Part A > CHAPTER 3 > § 301.

§ 301. National anthem
(a) Designation.— The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.
(b) Conduct During Playing.— During a rendition of the national anthem—
(1) when the flag is displayed—
(A) all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart;
(B) men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold the headdress at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and
(C) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note; and
(2) when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.

The lyrics are codified by law. If you're going to ignore them, why not wear a funny hat while you're at it? Or sit for it? Or do everything you can to keep your hand away from your heart?

It's not a fight song for the University. It's a fight song for America.

I don't see anything that says you shouldn't change a word in it.

RedstickSooner
9/22/2009, 04:31 PM
I don't see anything that says you shouldn't change a word in it.

Yeah, that'd be this part:

Gresho Murford
9/22/2009, 04:35 PM

Im just being a smartass but it still doesn't say you can't change a word. It is just stating what the national anthem is

sooner ngintunr
9/22/2009, 04:40 PM

Im just being a smartass but it still doesn't say you can't change a word. It is just stating what the national anthem is

Its dumas, not smartass you dumas.

olevetonahill
9/22/2009, 04:47 PM
Its dumas, not smartass you dumas.

Cause he aint Smart enough to be a Smartass ;)

the_ouskull
9/22/2009, 04:53 PM
Threads like this, the fact that there's even a debate about this, makes me sick. I may have to alter the annual OU v. Tejas post into more of a general rant. This is also, in part, due to the fact that I haven't seen enough from Tejas so far this season to worry about them. (It's US I'm worried about.)

the_ouskull

Collier11
9/22/2009, 04:56 PM

now you are just making yourself look dumb

Gresho Murford
9/22/2009, 05:04 PM
now you are just making yourself look dumb

No, I am being literal. It doesn't say it anywhere

RedstickSooner
9/22/2009, 05:05 PM

Well, really, we're both being smartasses. I argue pretty hard on this one (and I do feel strongly on it) but it's an abstract strong feeling... I fight for these sorts of abstractions, but I'm no Dumas. I know full well that in the greater sense it's not a huge deal, and folks who say "Home of the Sooners" aren't seditious scum.

But, since I believe using the words as written and specified is important, I'm obligated to argue my side as strongly as I know how. My argument that we should say it correctly because it's the law is a weak argument, as I would wager that almost all of us routinely break laws we see as poorly conceived. Me, I break the speed limit. Oh, and a bunch of other stuff I wouldn't want to admit in public. You, I'm sure you break plenty of laws, as well. So, like I said, using that argument was a bit of a smartass move on my part ;)

Collier11
9/22/2009, 05:19 PM
I know full well that in the greater sense it's not a huge deal, and folks who say "Home of the Sooners" aren't seditious scum.

But, since I believe using the words as written and specified is important, I'm obligated to argue my side as strongly as I know how. My argument that we should say it correctly because it's the law is a weak argument, as I would wager that almost all of us routinely break laws we see as poorly conceived.

This states it perfectly

Bosley
9/23/2009, 09:27 AM
Have AD do a 60 second announcement before the game on the jumbo tron and things will fall into place. You can't have the guy that does the "prrrrrrrrrrrrrrride of Oklahoma" and "iiiiiiiiiiiit's GOOD!" after field goals telling fans what they should do. That's like showing a Barney abstinence video to a high school before prom.

Crucifax Autumn
9/23/2009, 10:47 AM
Why not just start playing "Oh Canada" before games? Then it won't make a **** to anyone if fans change the words.

Eielson
9/23/2009, 09:13 PM
Anybody else see the irony? You guys get all pissy about how we say "and the home of the Sooners," but the funny thing is that those words are preceded by "Land of the free." How quickly you guys forget.

footballfanatic
9/23/2009, 09:36 PM
This is so disrespectful. I doubt none of the people who yell this have ever served, or know anyone who has.

Lott's Bandana
9/24/2009, 09:26 AM

Go to an NHL game in Dallas/Phoenix/Anaheim/etc, and watch all the mouthbreathers put their hand over their heart when "O Canada" is played.

Crucifax Autumn
9/24/2009, 10:11 AM
This is so disrespectful. I doubt none of the people who yell this have ever served, or know anyone who has.

Says the guy from the state where half the pickup trucks have a "SECEDE!!!" bumper sticker.

Gresho Murford
9/24/2009, 10:15 AM

Ha, that funny. Personally, My grandfather, father, and half brother all served. I have several friends who also are currently serving

TexasLidig8r
9/24/2009, 10:40 AM
The ironic thing... you see hundreds of posts on here stating how "arrogant" Texas alums are and yet... you don't see The University of Texas, or Texas alums, placing our school or ourself above the anthem... which is .. a very high form of arrogance.

Crucifax Autumn
9/24/2009, 10:43 AM
The ironic thing... you see hundreds of posts on here stating how "arrogant" Texas alums are and yet... you don't see The University of Texas, or Texas alums, placing our school or ourself above the anthem... which is .. a very high form of arrogance.

Like I already said...instead the state runs around yelling "secede!" all the time or spouting off about "the south will rise again!"

Gresho Murford
9/24/2009, 11:03 AM

No, but Texans and general hold Texas on the same level as the US

Tulsa_Fireman
9/24/2009, 12:04 PM

Wow.

A resident of the Lone Star state leveling an accusation of 'arrogance'.

That's the equivalent of Charles Nelson Reilly accusing Paul Lynde of being gay.

Way to go, whorn.

texas bandman
9/24/2009, 12:14 PM
Also, there was someone trying very hard (and pretty succesful) to start the wave in section 25. Of course we were on offense. I think we suddenly stopped moving the ball when it got going.

You shoulda chunked the offending person over the top of the stadium. The wave sucs! :D

StoopTroup
9/24/2009, 12:31 PM
The ironic thing...

You continuing to post crap like this this on an OU message board is ironic. May I say even arrogant...yet...it's a free Country and we let you do it.

Ironic.

BOOMERBRADLEY
9/24/2009, 12:44 PM
My dad retired as a Major from the OK National Guard

My brother is a sergeant in the OK National Guard

I yell Sooners at OU games because I am at an OU football game. I would be retarded if I yelled that while at a Lakers game...

Owen field is fine...No where else

Collier11
9/24/2009, 12:53 PM
its retarded to yell it regardless

beer4me
9/24/2009, 12:56 PM

This^

BOOMERBRADLEY
9/24/2009, 01:01 PM

Your opinion is no more valid than mine

I am foreseeing a Civil War within Oklahoma on this issue :pop:

Collier11
9/24/2009, 01:30 PM
or you could just quit acting like say Sooners really honors America somehow ;)

the_ouskull
9/24/2009, 05:23 PM

You are only literally being an idiot. I'll tell you what, Mr. Literal. In order to change the words to a song, you're going to have to convince the guy that wrote the song to change said lyrics. So why don't you drag your literal *ss down to the cemetary and try to convince a bag of bones that's been interred for 166 years to change the words so that you can keep making the same stupid-*ssed joke over and over about there "literally" being nothing. There's nothing there figuratively, either, so maybe we should just re-interpret reality while we're at it, you dumb sh*t!

GOD, I hate people sometimes...

Sorry, that was the long version. I'll try it again. The short version this time.

It shouldn't have to. For the intelligent, sometimes the answer is inherent in the question. If you change the lyrics, then the song, seeing as it's creator has been dead for 166, is no longer the song known as "The Star Spangled Banner," and, therefore, is not to be sung AS the Star Spangled Banner. The Sooner "fans" that say "...home of the Sooners," are not singing the National Anthem. They are singing some bastardized version of the National Anthem to try to make themselves feel like they are more of a part of the gameday atmosphere, but saying "..home of the self-esteem issues" isn't quite as awe-inspiring to those around them. I mean, why not just make up all the words, while we're at it?

Oh, say can you cracker,
by the Kodak Color Printer's early light. (I love... lamp.)

It's not any different than saying "home of the Sooners" at the end, and to say that it is would be to defeat your original argument. So, which is it, those of you that are for this bastardized version? The "pron so proudly I hailed," or the "home of the brave?"

the_ouskull

OUHOMER
9/24/2009, 05:31 PM
so much for the short version. :D

Collier11
9/24/2009, 05:50 PM
You are only literally being an idiot. I'll tell you what, Mr. Literal. In order to change the words to a song, you're going to have to convince the guy that wrote the song to change said lyrics. So why don't you drag your literal *ss down to the cemetary and try to convince a bag of bones that's been interred for 166 years to change the words so that you can keep making the same stupid-*ssed joke over and over about there "literally" being nothing. There's nothing there figuratively, either, so maybe we should just re-interpret reality while we're at it, you dumb sh*t!

GOD, I hate people sometimes...

Sorry, that was the long version. I'll try it again. The short version this time.

It shouldn't have to. For the intelligent, sometimes the answer is inherent in the question. If you change the lyrics, then the song, seeing as it's creator has been dead for 166, is no longer the song known as "The Star Spangled Banner," and, therefore, is not to be sung AS the Star Spangled Banner. The Sooner "fans" that say "...home of the Sooners," are not singing the National Anthem. They are singing some bastardized version of the National Anthem to try to make themselves feel like they are more of a part of the gameday atmosphere, but saying "..home of the self-esteem issues" isn't quite as awe-inspiring to those around them. I mean, why not just make up all the words, while we're at it?

Oh, say can you cracker,
by the Kodak Color Printer's early light. (I love... lamp.)

It's not any different than saying "home of the Sooners" at the end, and to say that it is would be to defeat your original argument. So, which is it, those of you that are for this bastardized version? The "pron so proudly I hailed," or the "home of the brave?"

the_ouskull

I Likey

Crucifax Autumn
9/24/2009, 11:41 PM
I don't give a **** either way, but by this reasoning someone needs to seriously kick the **** out of Weird Al!

Collier11
11/13/2009, 10:15 AM
http://www.newsok.com/many-fans-want-home-of-the-sooners-chant-to-stop/article/3417055?custom_click=headlines_widget

TexasLidig8r
11/13/2009, 11:00 AM
You continuing to post crap like this this on an OU message board is ironic. May I say even arrogant...yet...it's a free Country and we let you do it.

Ironic.

That's because I am arrogant... or would that be "Pride?" I have several of the other 7 Deadly Sins as well.

Nonetheless, I would never change the words to the National Anthem and believe it reflects poorly on your fan base when you do... Princess.

badger
11/13/2009, 11:05 AM
OU fans behind us totally yelled "Sooners" at the Nebraska game. Bad karma? :mad:

OKLA21FAN
11/13/2009, 11:06 AM
OU fans behind us totally yelled "Sooners" at the Nebraska game. Bad karma? :mad:

not bad karma, just poor judgment :pop:

C&CDean
11/13/2009, 11:08 AM
Lid,

No, you wouldn't "change" the words to the NA, and neither has anybody else. And FWIW, a bowtie wearing metroboy has a lot of nerve calling ST a "princess."

Collier11
11/13/2009, 11:11 AM
^ Thats the point, it isnt that the people doing it are being disrespectful or rude for the sake of doing it, they are just being those things cus they arent thinking clearly about what they are doing

TheHumanAlphabet
11/13/2009, 11:28 AM
I think it is disrespectful to the National Anthem to do it. I and my civics and boy scout upbringing don't and won't do it. However, I don't think you are going to stop it and for the Jokelahoman to bring up this "controversy" is lame and cheap. Might as well pi$$ in the wind.

TXBOOMER
11/13/2009, 11:30 AM
This combat veteran has been guilty of saying Sooners I must admit. But for the dick slaps that leave your hats on....that boils my blood. I think it all comes down to our individual quirks.

Collier11
11/13/2009, 11:34 AM
I personally think with something like the NA, something that has so much meaning to so many different people, it is better to err on the side of caution. It is nothing about PC or anything like that, just out of respect for those who dont like it who did serve

TexasLidig8r
11/13/2009, 11:37 AM
Lid,

No, you wouldn't "change" the words to the NA, and neither has anybody else. And FWIW, a bowtie wearing metroboy has a lot of nerve calling ST a "princess."

Hells bells... if you change the words from "home of the brave" to "home of the sooners" that is changing the words.

"Brave" changed to "sooners"

brave to sooners.

See how that works?

And I am HARDLY metro.. I am just.. fastidious.

Besides.. they're "manly" ties.. a throw back to better days when all men wore them!

TUSooner
11/13/2009, 11:45 AM
"The Star-Spangled Banner" has survived a lot of punishment by "artists" too numerous to mention who think they song is all about them and that they can improve it with their own particular brand of crooning, moaning, uvulating, soulifying, melasmatating, and who-knows-what-else-ifying, not to mention harmonic and melodic mutilation and just singing it too damn slow. Having been a Navy musician, I played that song more times than most of you have had sex (with another person, I mean), so I really hate all these attempts to recreate the song. I show my respect for my country by turning down the sound whenever I suspect that the song is about to artistically raped.
Oh yeah, the song and I will survive "home of the Sooners!" though I do honestly think it's bush, classless, and disrepectful.

TheUnnamedSooner
11/13/2009, 11:49 AM

You're retarded. ;)

badger
11/13/2009, 11:49 AM
I just don't think this will ever change. People will either be too busy respecting the flag to torment those that yelled "Sooners" and people yelling "Sooners" will continue yelling "Sooners" just because there's no repercussions.

So, don't let it get to you, people. Not gonna change.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/13/2009, 12:01 PM
"The Star-Spangled Banner" has survived a lot of punishment by "artists" too numerous to mention who think they song is all about them and that they can improve it with their own particular brand of crooning, moaning, uvulating, soulifying, melasmatating, and who-knows-what-else-ifying, not to mention harmonic and melodic mutilation and just singing it too damn slow. Having been a Navy musician, I played that song moe times than most of you have had sex (with another person, I mean), so I really hate all these attempts to recreate the song. I show my respect for my country by turning down the sound whenever I suspect that the song is about to artistically raped. Oh yeah, the song and I will survive "home of the Sooners!" though I do honestly think it's bush, classless, and disrepectful.

Agreed, and why do people think warbling around a note is a good singing technique? It is more technically challenging to sing and hold a note than warble around it... What I want to hear is the original song and words sung while people are drunk - apparently the original intent of the tune...

EstablishedSooner1967
11/13/2009, 12:11 PM
Do OU fans do this at away games? Just curious. YES!

SIMPLE GAME DAY RULES!
No down horns sign unless its OU/TX game.... this is one thing I can not stand to see on TV when playing KU or any other school than TX and I dont care how much you hate TX it just showing them you are envy of them... STOP IT!

Stop with the "home of the Sooner" its a complete disrespect to people who served our country! People far braver than Sooner fans deserve that respect!

Show visiting teams some respect.... nothing wrong with winning with class!

Booing bad calls is one things but the kids is something that is not needed....

AlbqSooner
11/13/2009, 12:19 PM
Lid,

No, you wouldn't "change" the words to the NA, and neither has anybody else. And FWIW, a bowtie wearing homosexual has a lot of nerve calling ST a "princess."

See - that changes the words, but not the meaning.:D

AlbqSooner
11/13/2009, 12:22 PM
Stop with the "home of the Sooner" its a complete disrespect to people who served our country! People far braver than Sooner fans deserve that respect!....

I am a Sooner fan who served our country. I don't think I am any braver than me.