PDA

View Full Version : Good story on Brandon Caleb

CaliBornSoonerBred
9/20/2009, 02:41 PM
http://www.newsok.com/article/3402709?custom_click=columnist

NORMAN — Brandon Caleb had only one thought as he streaked down the sideline, football in hand, end zone in sight.

Don’t get caught from behind.

The Oklahoma wide receiver made sure of that with not one, but two stiff arms. He held off that Tulsa tackler. He did what had to be done.

On a day that others bobbled passes and dropped touchdowns, Caleb staked a claim to the Sooners’ No. 2 receiver spot. His five-catch, 104-yard performance was highlighted by a pair of touchdowns, including the stiff-arming, 63-yarder.

Only a week after having his own struggles, Caleb not only redeemed himself but also provided a glimpse into why he has emerged.

“I just want to play hard and show the coaches that I can go out there and make plays,” Caleb said after OU throttled Tulsa 45-0.

Such determination has always driven him.

A native of Richmond, Va., Caleb became a well-known athlete in the area before he was even in middle high. He was starring on the summer basketball circuit. He was posting some of the nation’s best times and distances in track.

The big local newspaper featured him when he was only 12.

Caleb was on his way to becoming the next big thing at Mills Godwin High, an area school with a rich athletic history. He was talented and outgoing and well-known.

But when his mother started seeing more B’s and C’s on his report card, she began to worry.

“My concern was, he’s a great athlete, I’m a single-parent divorcee,” Lee Simms said via telephone. “I wanted him to stay focused.”

Then one day, Caleb and his mom bumped into a friend who told them about the military school that his son had attended. He raved about the change that it had made in only one year.

Simms didn’t think much about the conversation after that.

Caleb did.

He went online and investigated Fork Union Military Academy. The century-old boarding school was about 50 miles from Richmond, and it not only had high academic standards but also boasted outstanding athletic tradition. Eddie George and Vinny Testaverde are among Fork Union’s alumni.

“Mom,” Caleb said, “can you take me there for a visit?”

Simms balked.

“He doesn’t know what he’s asking for,” she thought.

Going to military school? Moving away from home? Her son?

But he kept asking his mom about going. He bugged her. He pestered her. Finally after two months, she relented and scheduled a visit.

“Mom,” he said afterward, “I really like the school. Can I go?’

Again, she balked.

“He really doesn’t know what he’s asking for,” she thought.

Caleb and Simms talked about it for a long time. Finally, they struck a deal — he could go to Fork Union as long as he promised to finish.

There would be no changes of heart, no leaving school, no coming home. Once Caleb committed, there would be no going back.

He agreed to his mom’s terms.

“I just thought about my future,” Caleb said. “I just wanted to make sure I was focused and got a scholarship. I knew if I was out there, I could get my grades and they had a whole bunch of (college) scouts coming to the school.”

Not that it was always easy. Being away from home was difficult. So was adjusting to wearing a uniform and meeting the school’s standards for everything from the length of his hair to the cleanliness of his room.

But Caleb was determined to make the most of it. He graduated with a 3.6 grade point average and a bunch of state titles. He even set the Virginia state record in the triple jump.

“It’s been the greatest decision I made,” Caleb said of going to Fork Union.

The discipline and the focus that he learned in military school have come in handy as a Sooner. Caleb, who chose OU over Florida, Virginia Tech and others, played as a true freshman but suffered a season-ending injury in the opener as a sophomore. The NCAA granted him a hardship waiver and restored that season of eligibility, but Caleb struggled to find playing time behind Juaquin Iglesias, Manny Johnson and Co. last season.

Even though it was tough, Caleb stayed strong. Committed. Resolved.

Determined.

“I would say he’s never really wavered,” said his mother, now married, living in Atlanta and pursuing her doctorate in education. “If anything, I got discouraged sometimes.”

Not her son.

“I’ve just got to wait my turn,” Caleb would tell her.

His turn is now.

“He deserves every bit of it,” Sooner receiver Ryan Broyles said. “He’s been grinding out his whole time here. He’s got great confidence. He’s got great leadership.

“We’re all looking forward to what he has.”

Caleb is determined to do whatever has to be done.

Stitch Face
9/20/2009, 02:54 PM
What a nice.

Article.

About that young man.

According to the video link Jenni's lost about a hunnert pounds, by the way.

Lott's Bandana
9/20/2009, 03:26 PM
She got married in January...must be all the secks.

Flagstaffsooner
9/20/2009, 03:40 PM
She got married in January...must be all the secks.Man nuts have less calories than doughnuts.:)

Stitch Face
9/20/2009, 04:31 PM
Man nuts have less calories than doughnuts.:)

Yer on a roll

Curly Bill
9/20/2009, 04:35 PM
Cool story.

I think he's gonna be a dependable one for us.

A-M
9/20/2009, 04:42 PM
Sounds like Caleb has a good head on his shoulder. Glad he kept plugging away at it and had a good game Saturday. Hope he continues to improve and enjoy his playing time at OU.