19 Brigham Young 2-1 349
20 Kansas 3-0 347
21 Georgia 2-1 318
22 North Carolina 3-0 271
23 Michigan 3-0 247
24 Washington 2-1 194
25 Nebraska 2-1 132
Dropped from rankings: Georgia Tech 14, Utah 18
Others receiving votes: Missouri 115, Georgia Tech 102, Auburn 100, Pittsburgh 91, UCLA 62, Iowa 39, Oregon 30, Texas Tech 19, Notre Dame 16, Utah 12, Clemson 11, Colorado State 4, Oregon State 4, South Florida 1

rainiersooner
9/20/2009, 11:50 AM
Well, we're the highest ranked one loss team, so that's fair I suppose. I would have liked to have seen USC dropped further, but that wasn't going to happen....

Indy Sooner
9/20/2009, 11:50 AM
How exactly is Houston ranked behind Stoolwater U.?

meoveryouxinfinity
9/20/2009, 11:51 AM
Coaches

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/usatpoll.htm

http://i34.tinypic.com/2ik8e4y.jpg

StoopTroup
9/20/2009, 11:52 AM
It's just the 2nd week poll. I like the OU Miami matchup. Winner probably moves up in week 3. Loser probably falls deep unless it's a close game.

Collier11
9/20/2009, 11:52 AM
Damn im smart, we should be and are ranked ahead of usc

IronHorseSooner
9/20/2009, 11:58 AM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings

AP Top 25
RK TEAM RECORD PTS
1 Florida (55) 3-0 1488
2 Texas (2) 3-0 1428
3 Alabama (3) 3-0 1390
4 Mississippi 2-0 1213
5 Penn State 3-0 1212
6 California 3-0 1169
7 LSU 3-0 1120
8 Boise State 3-0 1038
9 Miami (FL) 2-0 920
10 Oklahoma 2-1 862

This is actually really good for us. We have nine teams ahead of us. We need eight to lose. We play two. That would be down to six. If we beat Miami and UTerus, we will slingshot over Boise. That would leave five. The SEC teams can have only one undefeated, that would be leave two- Cal and PSU. Cal may lose to Oregon this week. They look about as resurgent as we do (as much as I hate to admit it), and are playing with a lot of confidence (I refuse to use the word sw****r). That would leave PSU, much like the situation last year. I know it's early, and a lot of football will be played, but we, along with a lot of others, NEED for PSU to lose. Maybe it happens this week against Iowa, maybe it happens against tOSU, but it MUST happen. But right now, considering everything that has happened, we are in a good situation. SUC dropping nine is comparable to OUr drop, so I am satisfied with that. BYU dropping 12 spots basically states that Our game with them is considered a fluke. I thought that might happen this season, but not this soon.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/20/2009, 11:59 AM
Nebraska choked. But they're legit.

picasso
9/20/2009, 12:00 PM
Does Bammer play Florida this year? Don't count out the Tide.

Stitch Face
9/20/2009, 12:00 PM
It won't be long until the end of the season when every talking head is saying "but USC is playing the best ball right now..."

meoveryouxinfinity
9/20/2009, 12:01 PM

No.

Charleston Southern
Troy
Tennessee
at Kentucky
at LSU
Arkansas (HC)
at Mississippi State
Georgia
Vanderbilt
at South Carolina
Florida International
Florida State

What a joke.

IronHorseSooner
9/20/2009, 12:01 PM
Sorry for the double post, but we are the highest ranked of all of the 1-loss teams. That ought to say something.

yermom
9/20/2009, 12:21 PM
yeah, we lost first ;)

we still have a lot of ranked teams to play. if we take care of business, i think we'll be fine

there is a lot of congestion above us in the SEC

i guess we may need to worry about Cal and Penn State, but i think at least one of them will take tare of it themselves.

we just need to win our games... our road schedule looks tougher and tougher as the season goes on. if we get through that though, the numbers will be with us

meoveryouxinfinity
9/20/2009, 12:24 PM
yeah, we lost first ;)

we still have a lot of ranked teams to play. if we take care of business, i think we'll be fine

there is a lot of congestion above us in the SEC

i guess we may need to worry about Cal and Penn State, but i think at least one of them will take tare of it themselves.

we just need to win our games... our road schedule looks tougher and tougher as the season goes on. if we get through that though, the numbers will be with us

I said it last night and I'll say it again, IF we win out, we WILL be there.

IronHorseSooner
9/20/2009, 12:26 PM
Therefore, this week, let's channel OUr energy to Bob's alma mater, the Iowa Hawkeyes! Cal has pulled a few "Poke Chokes" before when they were ranked this high (see 2007 with a chance to be #1 nonetheless). Like I said in another thread, PSU is the one that scares me.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/20/2009, 12:29 PM
Therefore, this week, let's channel OUr energy to Bob's alma mater, the Iowa Hawkeyes! Cal has pulled a few "Poke Chokes" before when they were ranked this high (see 2007 with a chance to be #1 nonetheless). Like I said in another thread, PSU is the one that scares me.

2 years in a row? I doubt it.

qIVzZha26jA

IronHorseSooner
9/20/2009, 12:32 PM
Iowa is the one team that gives PSU fits, ask any PSU fan (I know because I work with a number of them). They just match up well with them.

TXBOOMER
9/20/2009, 12:39 PM
Damn im smart, we should be and are ranked ahead of usc

UW beats them and that is as far as they fall?

StoopTroup
9/20/2009, 12:41 PM
2 years in a row? I doubt it.

qIVzZha26jA

No way I can watch 8 minutes of that...lol

JLEW1818
9/20/2009, 12:52 PM
Coaches and Harris poll are the only ones that matter

SC is lucky they beat Ohio State, or they would not be in the top 25

westcoast_sooner
9/20/2009, 01:38 PM
Some thoughts about the rest of the season:
1) Let's don't get ahead of ourselves too much. OU has 2 weeks to get ready for the trip to Miami, and that is going to be a tough football game. I like the extra prep time and the time it will give any of the guys to rest/heal up, and that it will give Landry and the offense extra time to get ready for their pressure etc.

2) Texas has shown that they aren't that good in the first half of games, and plenty good in 2nd halves. I thought they looked positively awful last night against Tech and yet played real tough in the 2nd half. They will be a challenge in Dallas.

3) The rest of OU's schedule is plenty tough. If the Sooners can run the table, it will be a real accomplishment. What we've seen so far is that the team has responded to adversity and has improved each week. They will need to continue improvement each week from here on out. But make no mistake, the Sooners won't be able to take any remaining opponent lightly and expect to win - except maybe A&M or KSU.

4) Florida doesn't have as clear a path the the Rose Bowl as many think. I think they could stumble, maybe Tebow's shouting fits start to wear on his teammates, or maybe he just has a bad day - See Ole Miss last year.

5) USC looked great against tOSU, but not so good against Washington? Most of that was probably QB play. They still have plenty of weapons. I think Cal and/or Oregon could beat them, and you never know if UCLA or ND could surprise them.

6) LSU goes to UGA in a couple of weeks. If UGA pulls off the upset it could open a path for someone else to get in the mix in the SEC. LSU struggled in Washington. They get Miss St. UGA and the UF. All those games will be interesting.

7) I'm not convinced that Ole Miss is top 10 caliber. I think they lose a couple. But, if they CAN keep winning, they could face UF in the SEC Championship game. Snead is a pretty good QB.

8) Boise has a clear path to a BCS game. Their conference is weak overall, and they've probably already played the toughest part of their schedule. Still not sure they would get into the Championship game even undefeated.

As a Sooner fan, of course the bottom line is winning out. If the Sooners run the table they'll be in the BCS title game in LA.

tommieharris91
9/20/2009, 01:51 PM
No.

Charleston Southern
Troy
Tennessee
at Kentucky
at LSU
Arkansas (HC)
at Mississippi State
Georgia
Vanderbilt
at South Carolina
Florida International
Florida State

What a joke.

Gotta remember the SECCG.

StoopTroup
9/20/2009, 02:00 PM
8) Boise has a clear path to a BCS game. Their conference is weak overall, and they've probably already played the toughest part of their schedule. Still not sure they would get into the Championship game even undefeated.

If they do...nobody...I repeat nobody...who is in that game against them...will allow them to be in that game once the ball is in the air for the 1st kickoff. It will be the biggest yawner of all yawners in MNC History.

Bosley
9/20/2009, 02:04 PM
Hold on now...We lose to a ranked BYU and fall to 13, USC loses to effing Washington and falls to 12?

Collier11
9/20/2009, 02:12 PM
Some thoughts about the rest of the season:
1) Let's don't get ahead of ourselves too much. OU has 2 weeks to get ready for the trip to Miami, and that is going to be a tough football game. I like the extra prep time and the time it will give any of the guys to rest/heal up, and that it will give Landry and the offense extra time to get ready for their pressure etc.

Im still counting on SB being ready for this game, if he isnt I have complete confidence in Landry at this point

2) Texas has shown that they aren't that good in the first half of games, and plenty good in 2nd halves. I thought they looked positively awful last night against Tech and yet played real tough in the 2nd half. They will be a challenge in Dallas.

Just like last year, we jumped on them early but gave up that damn KO return or else we likely win going away

3) The rest of OU's schedule is plenty tough. If the Sooners can run the table, it will be a real accomplishment. What we've seen so far is that the team has responded to adversity and has improved each week. They will need to continue improvement each week from here on out. But make no mistake, the Sooners won't be able to take any remaining opponent lightly and expect to win - except maybe A&M or KSU.

Our sched is rough, we will have to play well every week

4) Florida doesn't have as clear a path the the Rose Bowl as many think. I think they could stumble, maybe Tebow's shouting fits start to wear on his teammates, or maybe he just has a bad day - See Ole Miss last year.

I already stated last night, they will not win the title this yr

5) USC looked great against tOSU

They didnt really look that good against osu

bottom line, we pretty much still have our season in our own hands. we just have to keep getting better

StoopTroup
9/20/2009, 02:20 PM
Hold on now...We lose to a ranked BYU and fall to 13, USC loses to effing Washington and falls to 12?

bYu fell to a fsu team that seems to keep having roller coaster season too. So just because byu fell hard...doesn't mean they won't rebound. byu could end up giving us a strength of schedule bump later on down the road. I was shocked they got such a bump in the standings the week they beat us. As others have mentioned...suc beat tosu on the road. We need this Miami road game. Then a RRSO win would put us right back in the thick of things.

Another Win out scenario for us it seems.

If we do...I just hope we win our last game. Losing in Bowls is heartbreaking.

BoulderSooner79
9/20/2009, 02:23 PM
I think the SEC will be a repeat from last year: Bama/UF and the winner gets one of the title slots. The SEC west could mess up that scenario as that is the tough division and they could beat each other up. The other slot looks wide open with no team looking dominant right now.

tommieharris91
9/20/2009, 03:10 PM
I wonder if this guy even cares about college football... (http://pollspeak.com/pollstalker/pollstalker.php?s=9&p=18&t1=41&t2=&v=20&w=4&r=V)

Lott's Bandana
9/20/2009, 03:12 PM
He's got OU at 21, and there are 3 voters that have us even lower!

Okla-homey
9/20/2009, 03:13 PM

Bammer has to beat LSU and Ole Miss and has got to get by AU in their big in-state rivalry game and AU under Coach "Cheezit" is playing good ball right now. Just last night AU walloped WVU.

Leroy Lizard
9/20/2009, 03:39 PM
The problem with dropping USC any further is that they will fall below Ohio State.

JLEW1818
9/20/2009, 03:54 PM
I think every team will have at least 1 loss

A-M
9/20/2009, 04:37 PM
I think every team will have at least 1 loss

This would not surprise me at all!

Okie35
9/20/2009, 04:45 PM
It's just the 2nd week poll. I like the OU Miami matchup. Winner probably moves up in week 3. Loser probably falls deep unless it's a close game.

Except Miami will lost to VT. I'm sure our Miami game will still be the ABC Saturday night game.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/20/2009, 05:07 PM
Next week

No. 1 Florida at Kentucky
UTEP at No. 2 Texas
Arkansas at No. 3 Alabama
No. 4 Mississippi at South Carolina
Iowa at No. 5 Penn State
No. 6 California at Oregon
No. 7 LSU at Mississippi State
No. 8 Boise State at Bowling Green
No. 9 Miami (FL) at No. 11 Virginia Tech
Washington State at No. 12 USC
Illinois at No. 13 Ohio State
Fresno State at No. 14 Cincinnati
No. 15 TCU at Clemson
Grambling State at No. 16 Oklahoma State
Texas Tech at No. 17 Houston
South Florida at No. 18 Florida State
Colorado State at No. 19 Brigham Young
Southern Miss at No. 20 Kansas
Arizona State at No. 21 Georgia
No. 22 North Carolina at Georgia Tech
Indiana at No. 23 Michigan
No. 24 Washington at Stanford
Louisiana-Lafayette at No. 25 Nebraska

I bolded some of the more interesting/upset-potential top-10 games.

stoopified
9/20/2009, 06:33 PM
We just need to stay focused and take care of business.

Leroy Lizard
9/20/2009, 07:34 PM

I understand it. When OU lost, they were 0-1, which means they had not beaten anybody. When USC lost, they had already beaten Ohio State. The fact that OU is ranked ahead of USC suggests that the polls have evened out. USC fans could make an argument for being ranked higher given their win over Ohio State. Not sure I agree, but I can see it.

olevetonahill
9/20/2009, 08:27 PM
Just WIN SOONERS
WE lost 1st game on a neutral field, to a Ranked opponent.
By 1 point with our Stud QB knocked out .
Since then we pitched TWO shutouts
And Scored 109 points in those 2 contests with the Back up QB:D
I like our sucky team :pop:

JLEW1818
9/20/2009, 08:29 PM
I understand it. When OU lost, they were 0-1, which means they had not beaten anybody. When USC lost, they had already beaten Ohio State. The fact that OU is ranked ahead of USC suggests that the polls have evened out. USC fans could make an argument for being ranked higher given their win over Ohio State. Not sure I agree, but I can see it.

should not work like that, if you lose to a bottom 80 ranked team, you should be knocked out of top 10, even tho they beat a top 10 team.

Collier11
9/20/2009, 08:45 PM
And Scored 109 points in those 2 contests :

Had no idea you could add :D

olevetonahill
9/20/2009, 08:52 PM
Had no idea you could add :D

Dude
I had my socks off and had to count em all 5 + times :D

OKC-SLC
9/20/2009, 09:30 PM
our road schedule looks tougher and tougher as the season goes on.

definitely. i'm legitimately afraid of KU and NU.

(of course I thought there was about a 40% chance we'd lose to Tulsa)

OU Adonis
9/20/2009, 11:10 PM
Adrian Votes in the Coaches pole?

Leroy Lizard
9/21/2009, 01:34 AM
should not work like that, if you lose to a bottom 80 ranked team, you should be knocked out of top 10, even tho they beat a top 10 team.

But they were knocked out of the Top10.

sooner59
9/21/2009, 02:47 AM
Washington is a much better team this year. On the other hand USC is still going to lose another game or two. They aren't that good. Neither is tOSU. But it would be nice if the sweatervests beat the fighting JoPas.

btk108
9/21/2009, 07:13 AM
one game at a time.....let's stay focused!

w0lfe
9/21/2009, 08:22 AM
I wonder if this guy even cares about college football...
WOW... does he not honestly think we could beat auburn? or ucla? or missouri? north carolina is hoirrible. And houston is not number 2 in the country. Michigan is not top ten. And Okie lite ahead of us, this guy should lose his job. I guess he thought it was impressive that okie lite gave up 24 points at home to a great rice team.....

TexasLidig8r
9/21/2009, 08:36 AM
Just WIN SOONERS
WE lost 1st game on a neutral field, to a Ranked opponent.

Neutral field? It was what.. 80% soonerfans. Hardly neutral at all. Also, BYU showed how "rank" they were when they had their heads handed to them by a team that should have lost to Jacksonville State.
By 1 point with our Stud QB knocked out .

Since then we pitched TWO shutouts
And Scored 109 points in those 2 contests with the Back up QB:D

One was to a Division II team and a bad one with that, one that does not have even one player to whom Ou would have extended a scholarship and whose players would be playing on a scout team at best.... the other, another nonBCS conference team that has maybe one player who could crack Ou's 1st or 2nd team roster.
I like our sucky team :pop:

It would appear as if your offensive line is still in a state of flux.. when you have one player who changes jerseys so he can play a different position on the line, that should tell you your depth or quality are huge concerns.

Miami's speed on defense should be a good test.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/21/2009, 09:14 AM
It would appear as if your offensive line is still in a state of flux.. when you have one player who changes jerseys so he can play a different position on the line, that should tell you your depth or quality are huge concerns.

Miami's speed on defense should be a good test.

They did very well in pass protection vs. Tulsa.

Miami is looking very, VERY good. They should be top 5 if they beat VT.

DakotaSooner
9/21/2009, 09:41 AM
Not only did SUC not drop as far as I thought they would, they rewarded Washington by putting them in the top 25. Ughhhh......I hate the Pac 10!

TexasLidig8r
9/21/2009, 10:17 AM
They did very well in pass protection vs. Tulsa.

Miami is looking very, VERY good. They should be top 5 if they beat VT.

Miami beat a team that can't pass the ball... Georgia Tech (who does have perhaps the best fight song in college football).

Miami beat a team that almost lost to Jacksonville State Directional School.. (Yes.. yes.. I know, who beat the Mountain West/WAC/Conference USA whatever team that beat Ou)...

and now, Miami plays a team that was shut down by Nebraska (who is probably the.. what...5th or 6th best team in the Big XII) and but for a breakdown in coverage on one long pass play, would have lost to the Bugeaters.

Let's hold off on crowning the "U" as the next big thing.

picasso
9/21/2009, 10:19 AM
We can't all beat up on Wyoming.