PDA

View Full Version : What I've learned about college football, 2009

The Maestro
9/20/2009, 07:44 AM
Parity. The top two teams played unranked opponents at home and struggled to keep them from pulling the upset. USC loses to a team fresh off a 15 game losing streak. Florida State treated the Mormons like we were supposed to.

We should pop up to 10 this week, but our chances are still based on schedules. Florida has the freaking easiest schedule in SEC history. One game. At LSU. If they win that, it is very hard to see them finding a way to lose another game, unless they fall in the SEC Championship. Boise State is also headed for unbeaten, unless they fall at Tulsa which seems less likely after what I saw yesterday. Will this be the year the BCS gives Boise a shot at the title, or did BYU, Utah and Tulsa's collapse yesterday hurt that?

Penn State has the next easiest schedule...at Michigan appears to be their hardest game left.

Alabama, LSU and Ole Miss all have tough roads to go unbeaten.

I think Cal could slip up this week at Oregon. Saw some weaknesses at Minnesota yesterday.

But, the bottom line for us is the opposite of Florida...VERY tough schedule. At Miami. Texas. At Kansas. At Nebraska. At Texas Tech. If this team finds a way to win the Big 12 and end up with the only loss being to BYU with Sam going down I cannot see us being left out over an even unbeaten Boise. Hell, that record would be better than an unbeaten Penn State IMO.

Lots to be done and a very important two weeks. If we leave Miami with a win we have all the confidence and momentum in the world. And I hope the Canes beat Va Tech and come in sky high, unbeaten and in the top ten. Bring it.

unbiasedtruth
9/20/2009, 08:10 AM
It's one week, or two(bye), at a time in college football these days. The coming and going of each college football season indicates and proves this as a whole. Personally I would be surprised if a team at the top level can sustain a winning streak of more than 2 seasons.... i.e 20-25 games.

StoopTroup
9/20/2009, 08:15 AM
The Maestro's Jambalaya is always tasty. Good stuff Maestro. Teh yummy.

http://knitlit.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/2009-06-24-cajun_jambalaya_pasta.jpg

Harry Beanbag
9/20/2009, 09:15 AM
I thought before yesterday that Florida was the only great team out there, now I don't think there are any. The game in two weeks is the biggest of the season for OU, and with all things being equal, I'd rather have Gresham playing in it than Sam.

StoopTroup
9/20/2009, 09:40 AM
I thought before yesterday that Florida was the only great team out there, now I don't think there are any. The game in two weeks is the biggest of the season for OU, and with all things being equal, I'd rather have Gresham playing in it than Sam.

I was in the "lets see what everyone else does in the next few weeks" camp. It's why I didn't meltdown about the bYu game. Again...losing early isn't always a death sentence. Losing to Miami would be though.

Still...even a loss at Miami doesn't mean you can't win the South Division of the Big XII.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/20/2009, 09:44 AM
Parity. The top two teams played unranked opponents at home and struggled to keep them from pulling the upset. USC loses to a team fresh off a 15 game losing streak. Florida State treated the Mormons like we were supposed to.

We should pop up to 10 this week, but our chances are still based on schedules. Florida has the freaking easiest schedule in SEC history. One game. At LSU. If they win that, it is very hard to see them finding a way to lose another game, unless they fall in the SEC Championship. Boise State is also headed for unbeaten, unless they fall at Tulsa which seems less likely after what I saw yesterday. Will this be the year the BCS gives Boise a shot at the title, or did BYU, Utah and Tulsa's collapse yesterday hurt that?

Penn State has the next easiest schedule...at Michigan appears to be their hardest game left.

Alabama, LSU and Ole Miss all have tough roads to go unbeaten.

I think Cal could slip up this week at Oregon. Saw some weaknesses at Minnesota yesterday.

But, the bottom line for us is the opposite of Florida...VERY tough schedule. At Miami. Texas. At Kansas. At Nebraska. At Texas Tech. If this team finds a way to win the Big 12 and end up with the only loss being to BYU with Sam going down I cannot see us being left out over an even unbeaten Boise. Hell, that record would be better than an unbeaten Penn State IMO.

Lots to be done and a very important two weeks. If we leave Miami with a win we have all the confidence and momentum in the world. And I hope the Canes beat Va Tech and come in sky high, unbeaten and in the top ten. Bring it.
As you just said, parity. Who's to say someone else in the SEC DOESN'T beat Florida?

By the way, the Pac-10 might be the best conference this year. UCLA wins at Tennessee. Cal at Minnesota. USC at Ohio State. UCLA over K-State.

TexasLidig8r
9/20/2009, 10:56 AM
Perhaps the parity is a natural result of the scholarship limits and the increasing talent and development of high school players.

Now.. all high schools have access to greater information regarding training, nutrition, and player development as a result of increased exposure, media and the internet.

Schools can recruit more effectively since scouting can be more thorough with so much more information available.

Sabanball
9/20/2009, 11:09 AM
As you just said, parity. Who's to say someone else in the SEC DOESN'T beat Florida?

By the way, the Pac-10 might be the best conference this year. UCLA wins at Tennessee. Cal at Minnesota. USC at Ohio State. UCLA over K-State.

Let's not get too carried away here. With the exception of the Ohio St reference(which, by the way, went down to the wire), those opponents that you mention the PAC 10 playing against in recent weeks are not very good teams. The SEC and Big 12, top to bottom, are the two strongest conferences for football in America.

StoopTroup
9/20/2009, 11:34 AM
Perhaps the parity is a natural result of the scholarship limits and the increasing talent and development of high school players.

Now.. all high schools have access to greater information regarding training, nutrition, and player development as a result of increased exposure, media and the internet.

Schools can recruit more effectively since scouting can be more thorough with so much more information available.
We all know that kids started talking about their Football Career about ten years ago. Dad's start training many of these kids like semi-pros before they are in Middle School. The Schools recruit kids. HS Football was changed forever and much of it due to the selling of souls for a National championship at the u OF t. :texan:

Blues1
9/20/2009, 11:51 AM
From what I heard over the internet radio ~ I Think Tulsa is a Better team than the 45 to 0 beat down we gave them - They shot themselves in the foot several times yesterday,JMHO ~But they are still not good enough to beat Boise State. Looks to me Key injuries (Or Swine Flu) will play a Bigger Roll this Season than any we"ve seen in Several Years.....What would Florida be without a Tebow...? - Texas without McCoy - Ohio State without Pryor...?
The 15 Top Team that "Stays Healthy" may gives us a very different BCS Champion this year......Once Again JMHO....!!!

Keep R'

stoopified
9/20/2009, 12:04 PM

By the way, the Pac-10 might be the best conference this year. UCLA wins at Tennessee. Cal at Minnesota. USC at Ohio State. UCLA over K-State.You MAY be right about the Pac-10,(although I doubt it) but he wins you cite are hardly great evidence.Tennessee is lame,KSU is lame,Minnesota is average (at best) and TOSU is average.

Parity is raising IMHO its not so ugly head.Everybody has talent due in part to the 82 schollie limit .Another factor is that many schools who are not football powers in the traditional sense(Boisie State) can recruit players through TV exposure and promises of bowl trips.It was not that long ago that TV and bowl trips were limited to about the top 40 or so schools in major college football.Now everyone is in the act and I think UNDEFEATED national champs will become the rare exception rather than the rule.I also HOPE this leads to a playoff system over the current popularity contest system of determining the top 2 teams and staging the title game.

soonerinabilene
9/20/2009, 12:14 PM
ive learned that if you are undefeated and in the top ten, you have a good chance at losing. ou, tosu, osu, byu, usc, georgia. all top ten at one point, all have already lost. and we are only 3 weeks in. mind bottling. like when your mind gets trapped in a bottle.