PDA

View Full Version : Why is Tennell a Starter?

Sooner70
9/20/2009, 07:11 AM
Someone(s) out there clue me in. Why is #80 WR Adron Tennell in the lineup ? It must be his blocking, because it appears he has hands of stone. Jones threw him a perfect strike and he dropped it. There's been others like that in these first 3 games. Also, even if the pass isn't right on the money, he's not making the play to catch it.

What's the deal on this guy?

StoopTroup
9/20/2009, 07:29 AM
Only thing I can think of is that he's one of these guys that tear it up in practice and when it comes game time....he drops passes. If other guys are able to step it up or they move Tennell over to Broyles or Caleb's backup...then you might see more of other guys.

OUHOMER
9/20/2009, 08:15 AM
I just watched the replay of that drop. Man, right in his hands, hell i could have caught it. Its got to be a mental thing. he runs good routes and he is fast.

StoopTroup
9/20/2009, 08:19 AM
Yep. That last second drop has got to be killing him now. Probably never drops a ball in practice.

Also...the ball to Travis Lewis...could you tell how disappointed he was that he dropped that one? It hit his hands and then the ground and then came right back up into his hands...then he threw it down. It happened so fast that I thought..."Why did he do that?". After seeing the replay is was clear to me...but man did that all happen fast.

LesNessman
9/20/2009, 08:21 AM
Great question.

I've seen this for the last three years and am still baffled. Guy is a top athlete no doubt, but routinely and regularly drops easy passes. So frustrating.

Maybe he should be moved to DB.

1890MilesToNorman
9/20/2009, 08:28 AM
just looked at the box score and 8 other guys managed to catch a ball from Landry but not Tennell. I think he needs a sports shrink at this point.

StoopTroup
9/20/2009, 08:34 AM
just looked at the box score and 8 other guys managed to catch a ball from Landry but not Tennell. I think he needs a sports shrink at this point.

Agreed. Vet needs to take him up on the hill for some hand grenade training. :D ;)

OUHOMER
9/20/2009, 08:37 AM
Yep. That last second drop has got to be killing him now. Probably never drops a ball in practice.

Also...the ball to Travis Lewis...could you tell how disappointed he was that he dropped that one? It hit his hands and then the ground and then came right back up into his hands...then he threw it down. It happened so fast that I thought..."Why did he do that?". After seeing the replay is was clear to me...but man did that all happen fast.

you know he was pissed, seeing nothing but ball and green field

StoopTroup
9/20/2009, 08:50 AM
you know he was pissed, seeing nothing but ball and green field

Oh yeah. I thought he knocked all the air out of the ball when he threw it down.

1890MilesToNorman
9/20/2009, 09:00 AM
The one hour condensed reply starts in one minute fer those who want to watch the whipping again.

CK Sooner
9/20/2009, 09:27 AM
He is the best blocking wide receiver on the team.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/20/2009, 09:40 AM

yep

StoopTroup
9/20/2009, 09:42 AM
The one hour condensed reply starts in one minute fer those who want to watch the whipping again.

I turned my TV on and it was already on. More proof that everything in my hOUse is Sooner. :D

OUAlumni1990
9/20/2009, 09:46 AM
I feel sorry for the dude. You can tell it's psychological. But he is a starter for a reason.

CK Sooner
9/20/2009, 09:46 AM
Thanks guys! I almost forgot.

Desert Sapper
9/20/2009, 10:05 AM
Pooh seems like a good kid, and he is a good blocker, but this dropsies **** needs to stop. NOW.

I don't know what it will take, but if we insist on starting him, something needs to be done. Shrink, tennis ball drills, bricks, whatever.

Lott's Bandana
9/20/2009, 10:22 AM
Tennell lacks swagger.

OKC-SLC
9/20/2009, 10:52 AM
if you can catch a wrench, you can catch a ball.

LawtonBoy74
9/20/2009, 10:58 AM
He's not a natural pass catcher..he attacks the ball when he catches instead of having soft hands... but he is a damn good blocking reciever

RiddlerOK
9/20/2009, 11:23 AM
Wouldn't it be great if he shows up to make just ONE spectacular catch sometime later in the season? Wouldn't that be nice...........

westbrooke
9/20/2009, 11:26 AM
I suppose Tennell should be praised for his blocking, but this offense needs options. Broyles is solid and Caleb is coming on, but our TEs are rapidly proving to be unreliable receiving threats and, as good as Murray and Brown are, you can't build an offense entirely on screen passes. I'd like to see Miller, Kenney, Reynolds, and Madu get a shot instead of watching another big opportunity die as it dribbles through Tennell's hands.

engineer24
9/20/2009, 11:30 AM
I dont care how good the guy can block. This isnt Nebraska option football. We need WRs who can catch the ball and its obvious this guy cant get it done. He needs to be pulled out of the lineup and relegated to backup status.

StoopTroup
9/20/2009, 11:45 AM
I suppose Tennell should be praised for his blocking, but this offense needs options. Broyles is solid and Caleb is coming on, but our TEs are rapidly proving to be unreliable receiving threats and, as good as Murray and Brown are, you can't build an offense entirely on screen passes. I'd like to see Miller, Kenney, Reynolds, and Madu get a shot instead of watching another big opportunity die as it dribbles through Tennell's hands.

The TE's are easy to target on...however...we didn't throw to them much yesterday. Ratterree is young and was thrust into position before he was ready. Brody is just back at TE after switching jobs.

Losing Gresham really hurt.

The TE's will hopefully get more calls and confidence. Brody was the 2nd threat when Gresham was in there. Now he's back at the position and is expected to be as good as Gresham? Not gonna happen. Yep were weaker at TE this year.

Saying the TE are becoming unreliable...I think your expectations might have been to high is all. I'm betting we'll improve in this area. Stoops and Wilson always play things safe in these games (isu and tu). They were blowouts/shutouts and now they have an extra week to work on the Miami Gameplan. With so much controversy brewing about whether or not Sam will be in there...it will be interesting to see what changes in two weeks.

You have to think that Bob and Kevin having made changes in the Offense since Sam's injury...well...it probably has Miami having to prepare for two QB's the next two weeks.

This is gonna be a huge game.

I wish I could go down to the game.

westbrooke
9/20/2009, 11:53 AM
Hey, no judgment on the TEs, I know they're in a bad spot, but I was just making my point. We can't count on them to catch passes. So why keep a receiver in the game if he can't give us another reliable set of hands on the field? There's a line forming behind him, and it's time to see what they can do.

StoopTroup
9/20/2009, 11:55 AM
Hey, no judgment on the TEs, I know they're in a bad spot, but I was just making my point. We can't count on them to catch passes. So why keep a receiver in the game if he can't give us another reliable set of hands on the field? There's a line forming behind him, and it's time to see what they can do.

Again....the line forming better be able to catch in practice.

You don't think they are going to make a change like that going on the road to Miami do you? If they screw the pooch in phlorida...you might see some changes when we play Baylor.

westbrooke
9/20/2009, 12:54 PM
By most accounts, they have been catching in practice. Glowing reports on Kenney and Reynolds were all the rage through the fall. Same reports on Tennell, of course, which is all the more reason to see if they can handle a game situation.

I'm sure Tennell will still be starting in Miami, but I don't really hold to the "don't rock the boat" theory. This seems like a boat in need of rocking. And with two weeks to practice with some new receivers in the lineup, this might be the ideal time to change, because the U will be preparing for Tennell.

Curly Bill
9/20/2009, 12:56 PM
By most accounts, they have been catching in practice. Glowing reports on Kenney and Reynolds were all the rage through the fall. Same reports on Tennell, of course, which is all the more reason to see if they can handle a game situation.

I'm sure Tennell will still be starting in Miami, but I don't really hold to the "don't rock the boat" theory. This seems like a boat in need of rocking. And with two weeks to practice with some new receivers in the lineup, this might be the ideal time to change, because the U will be preparing for Tennell.

From what I've seen the best plan would be to leave him open, you know: entice us into throwing to him so he can drop it. :D

StoopTroup
9/20/2009, 12:57 PM
Miami is a huge test/game.

After that...Baylor is up. You'll either see some changes or a very tight squad getting ready for the whorns.

Keep the faith.

Curly Bill
9/20/2009, 12:59 PM
Miami is a huge test/game.

After that...Baylor is up. You'll either see some changes or a very tight squad getting ready for the whorns.

Keep the faith.

I say we beat Miami by 10 and Baylor by 28.

Go ahead and place your bets. ;)

TXBOOMER
9/20/2009, 01:03 PM

Jaz definately is not. He dang near gave up a pick 6 yesterday.

StoopTroup
9/20/2009, 01:04 PM

I've got us winning them both too.

Curly Bill
9/20/2009, 01:06 PM
I've got us winning them both too.

Yup, though the way I often play debil's advocate on here you might not think so. ;) :D

Mark_in_Tulsa
9/20/2009, 01:25 PM
I dont care how good the guy can block. This isnt Nebraska option football. We need WRs who can catch the ball and its obvious this guy cant get it done. He needs to be pulled out of the lineup and relegated to backup status.

Yeah. Trade his *** for someone who can catch. Or for a 2nd round pick.

Sooner70
9/21/2009, 06:33 AM
Well, I kinda agree with engineer24. Last time I looked, the main purpose of a WR is to catch the football in game situations....not just in practice, or to do just blocking--although both are important.

I'd like to see the guy really have a good game. He sure seems to have the physical attributes. If he does start against Miami, maybe we'll see it. Seems what he needs is to catch a couple of 'biguns and maybe he'll get on track. He can't keep dropping catchable balls in game situations, no matter how good a blocker he is or how well he does in practice.

gaylordfan1
9/21/2009, 08:21 AM
I think they are just giving him a chanse to live up to his potential... its seems to be all mind games. We cant have those kinds of drops agaisnt Miami. When he is out there the D must know he isn't getting the ball thrown his way and direct attention else where. I see the coaches giving him a few more chances and then move to someone else. I saw they pulled Jaz Reynolds redshirt.... maybe he will be his replacement.

badger
9/21/2009, 08:32 AM
He needs to get those sticky gloves they're advertising on the tee vee that catch glasses of water and sub sandwiches :D

I'm sure he can bounce back after a few missed catches.

BornandBred
9/21/2009, 08:57 AM
To me, this is all a mental thing. When you're breaking in a new QB, you give him short easy passes. I think we should do the same thing for Tennell. I know open by 8 yards is pretty easy, but if I remember correctly, he was streaming down field. I think we start the game with a little bubble screen to him, like we do Broyles, let him catch the first one, then move on from there. If he isn't worried so much, I bet it just comes naturally.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/21/2009, 09:03 AM
Well I can tell you how important it s to have a good blocking wr on the field..

Right now, OU still isn't getting a big push between the tackles...almost everything that is being popped for anything decent is off tackle...and if your gonna have to run a lot off tackle, your wr has to be able to sustain a block, which I agree with CK, he is very good at...Caleb is not bad either...

I've seen this team put guys out there who can't block, and then we post why aren't they running anything outside(pitches, etc...)..

adoniijahsooner
9/21/2009, 09:10 AM
Tennell will get it figured out, you can't give up on these kids, because the more confidence you place in him the harder he will work to get better.

ashley
9/21/2009, 09:10 AM
Maybe he is the best we have.

goingoneight
9/21/2009, 09:12 AM
If blocking on the outside was all we needed we could put Cory Brandon at WR.

Tennell got a lot of false hype. He's a gifted athlete, yes... much like 80 other guys on hand. Caleb did well vs TU... but he's not long-term proven ala Johnson, Iglesias or Chaney. He's looked pretty rusty too. For most big-time WRs, they turn it on after a big catch that gives them the confidence to settle down and live up to their potential.

Think Iglesias in OT vs Baylor 2005
Think Chaney vs Missouri in 2006
Gresham vs Texass in 2007.

Maybe Tennell has a BIG game in him for Miami? All I know is love him or hate him, Sam and Laundry are probably going to check down from him after what we've seen so far.

Bruiser53
9/21/2009, 09:35 AM
From the first 3 games, it's pretty obvious who are top two wideouts are, Broyles and Caleb. The problem with this is that Broyles is only really effective in the slot (see his vanishing act at Jerry World), so we are stuck needing a third wr to lineup outside on most of our plays. That being said, its time for someone else to get their chance in Tennels spot. There is a reason a 6' 4" thouroughbread has been sitting on the sidelines for 3 years. But also keep in mind Kenny droped a pretty easy catch vs Potato St and had a fumble against Tulsa, so it's not like he's been a world beater either. Our ability to catch passes has to be our largest weakness at this point.

DakotaSooner
9/21/2009, 09:47 AM
As a senior I think he should be given a chance, but DANG! We can't let this go forever. He is starting to remind me of Terrell Owens

adoniijahsooner
9/21/2009, 10:11 AM
Well Kevin doesnt care what everyone has to say....

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20090921_92_B5_Keepin342519

"There's going to be some drops or some miscues by every player at every position. You don't need to be giving him a false sense it's OK," Wilson said. "But you have to keep forcing the issue. He can make those plays and we need him to. That's why we kept playing him. Hopefully the tide will turn here ... We need him to make plays for us in the weeks to come for sure."

Tulsa_Fireman
9/21/2009, 10:13 AM
I remember a young man from Booker T. Washington up here in Tulsa that went from pass dropping goat to Sooner hero over the span of a few games.

Give it time. The coaches see more than we do in these boys.

badger
9/21/2009, 10:16 AM
Maybe he is the best we have.

I think Caleb showed that he's in that role right now... but that could change by the next game. The TU defense totally got pwn3d by him and the 'Stanche, though :D

Desert Sapper
9/21/2009, 10:32 AM
I remember a young man from Booker T. Washington up here in Tulsa that went from pass dropping goat to Sooner hero over the span of a few games.

I was thinking this very thing after somebody mentioned Chaney. It's possible he could explode all over a team and turn into a superstar. I really hope it happens against Miami. We still owe them for the 80s.

NormanPride
9/21/2009, 10:45 AM
I really want him to do well...

westbrooke
9/21/2009, 10:51 AM
No one will be happier than me if Tennell blows up on Miami. I want to see all that potential turn into results. And if the coaches think he's still got it in him, great. All most of us can go on is the evidence that's been on the field, and none of it indicates to me his head is in the right place. If he needs to go to Miami to find it, so be it.

BornandBred
9/21/2009, 11:20 AM
The "dropsies" are a lot like the "shanks" in golf, they are crippling but can quickly be rectified. I have faith in the kid and I think that he'll get it. If he can catch in practice, he can catch in the game. It's all a mental block. Once he gets past it, he will likely be a great receiver.

starclassic tama
9/21/2009, 12:48 PM
he made a sick catch in the red white game. now only if he could do it on saturdays...

OUmillenium
9/21/2009, 01:04 PM
The same reason Lewis Baker was a starter - to lessen our chances of winning?

CK Sooner
9/21/2009, 01:19 PM
The same reason Lewis Baker was a starter - to lessen our chances of winning?

Lewis went all out on every play. I liked him.

beer4me
9/21/2009, 01:21 PM

Yep give him time he will come around

sallisawsooner
9/21/2009, 02:29 PM
Is he the worst 5* in OU's history thus far? Moe Damper? Rhett? Tony Cade (He was 5 right?). The guy is gonna be there if he doesnt turn it around.

DakotaSooner
9/21/2009, 04:18 PM

I agree...shouldn't take 24 engineers to figure this out.:D

DakotaSooner
9/21/2009, 04:22 PM
This is lining up perfect, isn't his only touchdown against Miami? he is due for a big/important performance.

The Ghost of Mex
9/21/2009, 04:36 PM
The "dropsies" are a lot like the "shanks" in golf, they are crippling but can quickly be rectified. I have faith in the kid and I think that he'll get it. If he can catch in practice, he can catch in the game. It's all a mental block. Once he gets past it, he will likely be a great receiver.

So…he needs to turn his hat around backwards, and put a golf tee behind his ear to solve the problem?

Scott D
9/21/2009, 04:46 PM
The kid is pressing, point blank. The problem is the more he drops passes or rather doesn't catch them, the more he is going to press. Hopefully confidence restoration can go this week in the tough matchup against Bye State.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/21/2009, 05:08 PM
If we beat Miami, the #2 WR will be MVP

meoveryouxinfinity
9/21/2009, 05:14 PM
I say we come out on the opening drive and run a triple reverse and get Tennell into the endzone. :D

TXBOOMER
9/21/2009, 05:23 PM
Adron just can't hit it on the golf course like he can on the driving range.
Everyone talking about how good of a blocker he is go back and look at how many plays he sat out after his first drop. We ran it pretty good without him. I hope Kenney gets lost of reps and gets the start with Caleb and Broyles in the slot against the canes.

Curly Bill
9/21/2009, 06:10 PM
Is he the worst 5* in OU's history thus far? Moe Damper? Rhett? Tony Cade (He was 5 right?). The guy is gonna be there if he doesnt turn it around.

He was a four star, as was Cade and Dampeer.

...but all were Rivals Top 100 players.

Toronto Sooner
9/21/2009, 06:55 PM
I say we come out on the opening drive and run a triple reverse and get Tennell into the endzone. :D

Good idea. If he can't catch a pass then just hand it off to him and let's see what he can do. I hope he doesn't drop those as well.

Imagine if he started the reason as the punt or kickoff returner? eek :eek: Bob's head would explode.

gotpoi73
9/21/2009, 07:06 PM
it's all mental. drops as well as catches are infectious. once he gets a little taste of success, i think he will turn it on and have a great year. i do agree it has to be soon, but we have been a little spoiled the last few seasons. i need you all to visualize him CATCHING that 50 yard bomb over the miami criminals!

LawtonBoy74
9/21/2009, 07:15 PM
A good replacement for Tennell would be Dejaun Miller IMO he is a little bigger than Tennell and I seen him blocking very well in the game. All that being said though there is a reason Tennell is starting, maybe he knows the offense better than the younger receivers and maybe he is just too damn good at practice to not let him start in the games:confused:

Curly Bill
9/21/2009, 08:31 PM
I think like BV and BJW, Tennell must have some incriminating pics on Bob.

;)

:D

engineer24
9/21/2009, 10:08 PM
Do we still run those tennis ball drills like we used to when Mike Leach was here? Maybe we need to break out that ball machine and let Tennell take it home with him for some extra practice.

sooner94
9/21/2009, 10:48 PM

I hope the Canes win on Saturday. We will probably be underdogs, if not in the point spread, at least in the media.

Stoops does his best work as the underdog.

I think we win the Miami game, maybe not a blowout, but by 10-14.

Toronto Sooner
9/22/2009, 12:42 AM
Aside from Tennell's potential blocking abilities, another reason he might still be a starter is due to his size. I watched most of Miami's game against Florida St and some of their game against Georgia Tech, I vaguely recalled Miami's DBs being on the short side. A tall and fast OU receiver, with downfield capabilities, might be able to really exploit Miami's DBs. Dejuan Miller is big also, but is not in the same league as Tennell when it comes to speed. Of course, if he can't catch the ball......... If he can hang on to the ball in the Miami game then it could be a huge breakout game for him.

Regardless, I don't see Miami beating us. Their players don't look as imposing as their players from earlier in the decade. They do have some talent, but their RB, Cooper, is their most concerning weapon due to his speed. However, we can control him with our imposing D line.

As a side note, 6 other Miami players played with their QB in highschool, including 3 of their WRs and 1 OL player. That has likely also contributed to their fast start, as it gives their QB a greater comfort level. Regardless, (although anything is possible) I just don't see him beating us with his arm alone, if we are able to stuff their run game (like we did 2 years ago).

mightysooner
9/22/2009, 12:52 AM
He has a confidence problem. That's all it is. He needs to get it figured out and quick.

Crucifax Autumn
9/22/2009, 01:03 AM
If confidence is the only issue it can be fixed with a couple of ponyboy style 2 yard passes. If he can't catch those then he needs to go sit his *** down.

mightysooner
9/22/2009, 01:12 AM
If confidence is the only issue it can be fixed with a couple of ponyboy style 2 yard passes. If he can't catch those then he needs to go sit his *** down.

If he can't catch those he needs to come mow my lawn. No sitting down. Work to be done...

Gresho Murford
9/22/2009, 10:22 AM
Aside from Tennell's potential blocking abilities, another reason he might still be a starter is due to his size. I watched most of Miami's game against Florida St and some of their game against Georgia Tech, I vaguely recalled Miami's DBs being on the short side. A tall and fast OU receiver, with downfield capabilities, might be able to really exploit Miami's DBs.

reading this reminded me how much we miss gresham:(