PDA

View Full Version : Where are the Posts Demanding We Fire Brent Venables??

jdsooner
9/20/2009, 01:18 AM
14 points given up after 3 games. How do we beat Miami and Texas?

DDDEEEEFFFFEEEENNNNNSSSSSEEEEE!!!

Curly Bill
9/20/2009, 01:19 AM
You might want to look in a few more threads.

cheezyq
9/20/2009, 01:38 AM
I've been fairly impressed with this defense, but this is as silly the argument that Mike Stoops and Venables are equals because we had one game where the defense gave up 28 points with Mike running the show.

The criticism of Venables is not that we don't kill teams with the occasional good defensive effort. The criticism of Venables is that we frequently have games where our defense looks unprepared and completely lost, with defenders out of place and giving up big plays. This even happened against BYU, with the defense allowing receivers to run wide open, and allowing a couple of big plays. This usually causes a loss or two per year to a surprise team. The only thing about this year is that we have great play up front (as usual) or incredible team speed that saves us. It didn't against BYU, as we gave up a TD late.

It's pretty silly to come out after every good defensive performance and claim it proves your point.

Petro-Sooner
9/20/2009, 02:04 AM
You might want to look in a few more threads.

What he said.

adoniijahsooner
9/20/2009, 02:46 AM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/2009/20090920_oufoot0920p7.jpg

Leroy Lizard
9/20/2009, 03:19 AM
I'm no Venables basher, but we had the lead in the fourth quarter against BYU, and what happened? BYU drives 78 yards, converts on multiple third-and-longs, and scores a TD.

The defense played very well against BYU, just well enough for us to lose on BYU's last drive.

Is this Venables fault? I don't think so. But it does no good for us to crow about our defense if Miami puts up 40 points on them in our next game. So why not wait and see how they fare in Miami?

sooner59
9/20/2009, 03:24 AM
Well, if Miami puts up 40 on this defense, they are likely winning a BCS game this year.

Leroy Lizard
9/20/2009, 09:19 AM
Here is how I gauge it:

If we are playing a solid team and they have the ball with 3rd and 12 and I think "We've got them right where we want them," then I think the defense has arrived.

Right now, I think "Why not just pull a few off-side penalties and give them the first down, rather than go through all the trouble and humiliation of watching them complete a 15-yard pass?"

StoopTroup
9/20/2009, 09:24 AM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/2009/20090920_oufoot0920p7.jpg

I can't believe Bob would let them rough him up like that. :D

Hotrod3157
9/20/2009, 10:28 AM
The criticism of Venables is not that we don't kill teams with the occasional good defensive effort. The criticism of Venables is that we frequently have games where our defense looks unprepared and completely lost, with defenders out of place and giving up big plays. This even happened against BYU, with the defense allowing receivers to run wide open, and allowing a couple of big plays. This usually causes a loss or two per year to a surprise team. The only thing about this year is that we have great play up front (as usual) or incredible team speed that saves us. It didn't against BYU, as we gave up a TD late.

Quoted for truth. Now Venables did change some stuff up in the game yesterday that shocked the ever livin crap out of me. Maybe he can mix stuff up, will he continue to do it or go back to the same stuff he's done for the past few years who knows. Hopefully the changes were a sign of things to come and not a one game fluke.

badger
9/20/2009, 10:30 AM
I think Tulsa gained some yards yesterday. Those yards resulted in zero points, but still, until there are no (or better yet NEGATIVE) yards gained by opponents, I will not be satisfied.

And therefore, the firing is imminent.

;)

PS: To be fair to TU, I think they could have scored a few Bill Callahan-patented middle finger field goals if they weren't trying so d@mn hard to win and look like d00shebag visitors... unfortunately, while they did not look like d00shebag visitors, they also scored no points.

CK Sooner
9/20/2009, 10:35 AM
Fire Norvell

LawtonBoy74
9/20/2009, 10:45 AM
Fire no one..its ridiculous to call for someone's head after a shut out..wait til we get blown out at least

badger
9/20/2009, 10:46 AM
its ridiculous to call for someone's head after a shut out

No it isn't. :D

batonrougesooner
9/20/2009, 10:48 AM
If OU could just play all of their games at home there would never be a problem.

CK Sooner
9/20/2009, 11:11 AM
Fire no one..its ridiculous to call for someone's head after a shut out..wait til we get blown out at least

Fire you.

RiddlerOK
9/20/2009, 11:24 AM
ouch! testy there, aren't we?

engineer24
9/20/2009, 11:26 AM
I am a huge Brent Venables critic, but I will give him props for this game. He had a good game plan and they executed well.

That being said, I still dont think he's an elite D coordinator. He's OK, maybe a top 20 kind of guy. But I dont believe he's capable of crafting championship level defenses like Mike Stoops was.

Yes, Mike Stoops had some bad games too. OSU 2002, OSU 2003, A&M 2002, etc. But those games only came once or MAYBE twice per year. With Brent Venables, those games usually come at a clip of 4-5 every year. The other 6-8 games we play great defense, but there are always 4-5 where they look very, very average.

Last year, OU's defense ratings were averaging in the 50s or lower. Thats not elite level defense. Now I do expect this year's squad to be marginally better, but I dont buy the hype of Brent Venables being able to build a championship level defense thru the entire season yet.

If OU goes the entire year (including bowl season) and only gives up 1 or 2 mediocre (e.g. 30+ points) defensive games and in every other game holds people to 400 yards or less, and 14 points or less, then I'll come back and apologize. But I dont see that happening. I see Texas putting up at least 30. I see Miami putting up at least 30. Then we'll have another couple of brain fart games on defense where somebody like Baylor, OSU, Nebraska, Tech, etc puts up 30 on us. Thats not elite D.

The way I see it, a championship level defense is allowed 1 or at most 2 mediocre games per year. But I suspect that even this year, with all our talent back from last year and damn near hte best defensive player in the country with Gerald McCoy, that we will fail to live up to that expectation.

We will have a good defense this year, but not elite/championship level.

jdsooner
9/20/2009, 02:23 PM
Behind enemy lines: TU coach Todd Graham heaps praise on OU defense
BY DAVID UBBEN, Staff Writer, [email protected]
Published: September 20, 2009
On OU's Defense:

I’ll tell you how good I think their defense is. That’s the first time as a head coach I’ve been shut out, ever. I think that they’re really, really…I can’t say enough good about their defense.

→On Tulsa’s turnovers:

It’s always easy as a team to talk about how you gave the ball up, but there were guys causing those turnovers. They have a tremendous defensive front and a tremendous advantage there. They will have a defensive advantage over a lot of people.

→On the game atmosphere:

I don’t think it was stunned at all. I thought that our guys came out and really it was quite the opposite. We wound up getting a takeaway. Our guys were not stunned at all by the atmosphere. I thought we handled the crowd noise very well. It is louder here than it was in ’05, but I don’t think our guys were stunned.

→On missing players:

That was very difficult. We had two of our starting offensive line out. We had one guy today that played in one college football snap last year. I am very, very proud of Nick Gates and very, very proud of Brandon Thomas, stepping in and playing in this type of game. You know, we didn’t have Tyler Holmes or Clint Anderson.

soonervegas
9/20/2009, 02:56 PM
My only issue with the D in general is they are not very good when we are done scoring and need them to pitch a shut out. They are 0-3 in their last 3 opportunites.

I still think coach V is a good coordinator, not great. The Miami game sets up for another challenge and a chance to shut some of us detractors up.

85sooners
9/20/2009, 02:58 PM
:texan:

BoulderSooner79
9/20/2009, 02:59 PM
I'm sure the BV lynch mob will be back, they are just resting up.

StoopTroup
9/20/2009, 03:01 PM
My only issue with the D in general is they are not very good when we are done scoring and need them to pitch a shut out. They are 0-3 in their last 3 opportunites.

I still think coach V is a good coordinator, not great. The Miami game sets up for another challenge and a chance to shut some of us detractors up.

Translator?!?!?!

Curly Bill
9/20/2009, 04:13 PM
I'm sure the BV lynch mob will be back, they are just resting up.

Resting up hell, I'm here all the time raring to go. :D

theresonly1OU
9/20/2009, 07:48 PM
Jesus.

Brent Venables could walk on water, and some of you would criticize his gait.

mdklatt
9/20/2009, 07:54 PM
How do we beat Miami and Texas?

It's sure not going to happen with ball control and a running game. :O

mdklatt
9/20/2009, 08:03 PM
Last year, OU's defense ratings were averaging in the 50s or lower. Thats not elite level defense.

You cannot look at defense and offense in isolation. How motivated is the defense going to be to pitch a shutout when the offense is scoring a point a minute? In a perfect world they'd try just as hard no matter what the offense was doing, but obviously they're not immune to human nature. What's most important is that if the offense or defense isn't getting it done it becomes motivation for the other guys to kick it up a notch. The defense clearly did that against BYU (save for our TE coverage :mad:). Also, our offense scores or punts so quickly that the defense is on the field all the time. Both Idaho State and Tulsa were ahead of us in TOP for most of if not all of the game.

You also have to put national rankings in context. What was our ranking relative to everyone else in the Big 12? You put an SEC or Big 10++ team in the Big 12 last year and see what their defense could do week in and out.

btk108
9/21/2009, 06:52 AM
Secondary, secondary, secondary......wait until we face the teams that flood the downfield with blazing receivers.....that's what scares me.....

sooneron
9/21/2009, 10:28 AM
FIRE BRENT VULNERABLES!!! [hairGel]

Tulsa_Fireman
9/21/2009, 10:29 AM
BENCH LAUNDRY JOANS

BoulderSooner79
9/21/2009, 11:28 AM
I'm in the KW lynch mob - I can't serve 2 masters.

NormanPride
9/21/2009, 11:41 AM
Tulsa is not good this year, but they're not terrible either. Our D played very well and had given up 135 yards when we hit our final extra point. Tulsa, no matter the personnel, is a team that puts up yards and points.

Anyone who wasn't surprised by that defensive performance, or thinks its not in the least bit impressive, is lying or stupid. Defense is infectious and we are contagious right now.

BornandBred
9/21/2009, 11:42 AM
Jesus.

Brent Venables could walk on water, and some of you would criticize his gait.

WHERE'S HIS SWAGGER!?!?!?!?!?

AlboSooner
10/23/2011, 12:48 AM
Bump

soonercastor
10/23/2011, 12:50 AM
HOLY SHEET did you just bump this?

rdusooner
10/23/2011, 12:55 AM
LMAO!

tulsaoilerfan
10/23/2011, 12:56 AM
Hell man just start a new thread instead of bumping the old one lol

merciles
10/23/2011, 03:12 AM
lol....

cleller
10/23/2011, 08:13 AM
Don't fire him, just make him publicly beg Mike to come back.

Remember, it takes a big man to admit you have a problem.

Curly Bill
10/24/2011, 09:25 AM
Don't fire him, just make him publicly beg Mike to come back.

Remember, it takes a big man to admit you have a problem.

....or in this case that you are the problem.