PDA

View Full Version : 01 season

Collier11
9/20/2009, 01:07 AM
Someone mentioned tonight how good our D was in 01, got me to thinking...if we dont lose to OSU at home and we beat Colorado in the Big 12 title, what do we do against that Miami juggernaut?

I personally think their D would have shut down our very average offense but I also think our D was good enough to hold them in check, I think something along the lines of 21-7 Miami

sooner59
9/20/2009, 01:09 AM
I think that is pretty fair.

tommieharris91
9/20/2009, 01:12 AM
That Miami had 7 (?) first round picks I think. That was a crazy good team, maybe the best this decade. 21-7 Miami sounds about right.

Collier11
9/20/2009, 01:13 AM
and yet another natl title loss for us, blah

Collier11
9/20/2009, 01:16 AM
That Miami had 7 (?) first round picks I think. That was a crazy good team, maybe the best this decade. 21-7 Miami sounds about right.

I think it was easily the best team of the decade, in fact if you rate the natl title teams I would rate them as such

1) Miami

Very distant #2) USC 04

3) Texas 05

4) OU 2000

5) Florida 08

6) Ohio state 02

7) Florida 06

8) LSU 03

9) LSU 07

tommieharris91
9/20/2009, 01:16 AM
Anyone going up against that Miami team was probably going to lose. That team was loaded. Take a look at their depth chart. There's easily 15 players still in the NFL from that team.

http://publish.netitor.com/photos/schools/oasl/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/depth-chart.pdf

Collier11
9/20/2009, 01:21 AM
STACKED!

Then look at our 04 team, didnt we have 13 drafted?

sooner59
9/20/2009, 01:24 AM
On the flip side, I believe if we don't crap down our leg at college station, we win in '02. Not saying we should have won in stoolwater, but who knows what happens if we are undefeated. We could have beaten Miami or Ohio St. in '02.

Or if we actually show up in Boulder in 2007......or for that fact, if Sam doesn't get a concussion at Lubbock. We could have "easily" been undefeated that year and played Ohio St. in New Orleans. I have to believe we are hoisting the crystal ball in that case.

If we win the close game in the '03 title game against LSU.....

We have been so close to being "far and away" the greatest program of the 2000s.

And for that fact, we were very close to Nick Saban being just another coach, and LSU not winning ANY titles this decade.

Damn.

tommieharris91
9/20/2009, 01:27 AM
STACKED!

Then look at our 04 team, didnt we have 13 drafted?

I'm still looking for a depth chart for the 04 team, but I know that there were plenty of talented players on that team too.

Well, I found a roster here (http://www.oufootball.info/roster/2004.html). Dayum, we were loaded then! What could have been in 05 and 06 if AD wasn't hurt.

Collier11
9/20/2009, 01:35 AM
I may be off 1 or 2 but I counted 31 guys on that 04 roster who have atleast played a full year on a NFL practice squad

tommieharris91
9/20/2009, 01:41 AM
On the flip side, I believe if we don't crap down our leg at college station, we win in '02. Not saying we should have won in stoolwater, but who knows what happens if we are undefeated. We could have beaten Miami or Ohio St. in '02.

Or if we actually show up in Boulder in 2007......or for that fact, if Sam doesn't get a concussion at Lubbock. We could have "easily" been undefeated that year and played Ohio St. in New Orleans. I have to believe we are hoisting the crystal ball in that case.

If we win the close game in the '03 title game against LSU.....

We have been so close to being "far and away" the greatest program of the 2000s.

And for that fact, we were very close to Nick Saban being just another coach, and LSU not winning ANY titles this decade.

Damn.

We probably weren't better than Miami or Ohio St in 02. I think both teams went into that NCG undefeated. 2007, on the other hand, I think OU could have beaten LSU in that NCG. We weren't really good, but LSU wasn't either, and neither was anyone else that season.

But yea, damn.

Collier11
9/20/2009, 01:43 AM
If Sam doesnt get hurt against TT I am convinced we win the Natl title that year.

As many have stated before, the fact that Stoops has led us to 4 natl title games in 10 yrs is amazing, the fact that we were in line to play in the natl title game in another 4 of those yrs all the way into November is unreal

tommieharris91
9/20/2009, 01:52 AM
If Sam doesnt get hurt against TT I am convinced we win the Natl title that year.

As many have stated before, the fact that Stoops has led us to 4 natl title games in 10 yrs is amazing, the fact that we were in line to play in the natl title game in another 4 of those yrs all the way into November is unreal

We would have at least made the NCG if Reggie Smith fields a punt cleanly @ Colorado that season.

sooner59
9/20/2009, 01:56 AM
We probably weren't better than Miami or Ohio St in 02. I think both teams went into that NCG undefeated. 2007, on the other hand, I think OU could have beaten LSU in that NCG. We weren't really good, but LSU wasn't either, and neither was anyone else that season.

But yea, damn.

I was just never really impressed by Ohio St. that year. They were very fortunate to be undefeated. They scraped a win against a Miami team that wasn't quite as good as the '01 team. Ohio St. was given the title by the refs on a terrible call in OT.

Maybe we don't win, but I still think OUr '02 team was pretty on par with those teams.