PDA

View Full Version : Helmet to helmet hits

boomersooner2001
9/19/2009, 11:41 PM
Wasn't there a new rule put in place this year concerning these? Why the hell did Texas not get a flag for that hit on Potts tonight? I mean jesus, he got hit so hard in the head, it knocked his contact out.

Hotrod3157
9/19/2009, 11:44 PM
There's supposed to be a lot more emphasis on protecting the QB this year. After watching the beating that Fresno St's QB took Friday night and the hits that Potts took tonight I think not all the ref's in the country got that memo.

Intown
9/19/2009, 11:49 PM
The refs blew that one. The penalty could've changed the outcome of the game. Then again, tt can't really complain about blown calls changing the outcome of a game.

If thye want to get serious obout it, they'd toss the player out. The NFL eliminated most of that stuff with fines. The NCAA doesn't have that type of recourse.

boomersooner2001
9/19/2009, 11:54 PM
The refs blew that one. The penalty could've changed the outcome of the game. Then again, tt can't really complain about blown calls changing the outcome of a game.

If thye want to get serious obout it, they'd toss the player out. The NFL eliminated most of that stuff with fines. The NCAA doesn't have that type of recourse.

Not could've...IT DID CHANGE THE OUTCOME!!! Because if you remember, Potts fumbled because of that hit down on the 20 or whatever it was. No fumble, possibly results in a tie ballgame.

Petro-Sooner
9/19/2009, 11:54 PM
Can we pussify football anymore please?

boomersooner2001
9/19/2009, 11:56 PM

I agree that football has become somewhat soft nowadays. BUT, if the rule is there, you gotta enforce it.

Crucifax Autumn
9/19/2009, 11:57 PM
I am one of the people that thinks the game shouldn't be made wimpier.

I am also a person who thinks if they ARE gonna have all these ***** rules then they should enforce them on everyone.

Petro-Sooner
9/19/2009, 11:58 PM
I suggest they all give a group hug after halftime. But whatever......

Curly Bill
9/19/2009, 11:58 PM

+1

meoveryouxinfinity
9/20/2009, 12:01 AM
That hit was nasty. THAT is not what college football needs. Neg me if you want, but that could take a young kid's life away.

But Potts is a warrior. He was lit up all night.

(PS, I'm not so sure the Texas player (Kindle?) *LED* with his helmet, but it sure was a helmet-to-helmet hit...What's the wording of the rule?)

boomersooner2001
9/20/2009, 12:02 AM
yeah it was Kindle, the dirty bahstad

GottaHavePride
9/20/2009, 12:04 AM
Man, contacts don't just pop out of your eyes at any little hit. Those things are like wearing suction cups stuck to your eyes. Knocking one of those out takes a serious damn hit.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/20/2009, 12:05 AM
Man, contacts don't just pop out of your eyes at any little hit. Those things are like wearing suction cups stuck to your eyes. Knocking one of those out takes a serious damn hit.

I bet it kinda felt like getting T-boned in a corvette by a Tahoe at 50 MPH.

Petro-Sooner
9/20/2009, 12:08 AM
That hit was nasty. THAT is not what college football needs. Neg me if you want, but that could take a young kid's life away.

But Potts is a warrior. He was lit up all night.

(PS, I'm not so sure the Texas player (Kindle?) *LED* with his helmet, but it sure was a helmet-to-helmet hit...What's the wording of the rule?)

I'm not going to neg ya but I politely disagree. Its apart of the game.

Or was.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/20/2009, 12:13 AM
I'm not going to neg ya but I politely disagree. Its apart of the game.

Or was.

I get ya. Modern medicine says concussions are worse and worse.

PS bring back the halo rule.

boomersooner2001
9/20/2009, 12:18 AM
and what about that silly a** rule, if you simulate taking a knee, you are actually taking a knee??? that is definitely a bull**** rule.

Petro-Sooner
9/20/2009, 12:20 AM
I'm not sure if thats a rule or some refs that had a head up there butt.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/20/2009, 12:20 AM

lol

boomersooner2001
9/20/2009, 12:21 AM

The announcers came on and said according to the Big 12 officials, that rule was put in place this year.

Petro-Sooner
9/20/2009, 12:28 AM
The announcers came on and said according to the Big 12 officials, that rule was put in place this year.

OY :rolleyes: :D

You guys have a good one.

bluedogok
9/20/2009, 01:12 AM
I bet it kinda felt like getting T-boned in a corvette by a Tahoe at 50 MPH.
...or hitting an apartment...:D

sooner59
9/20/2009, 02:11 AM
Yeah, Potts got jobbed on that play. That should have been 15 and a new 1st down according to the rules this year. Instead, no call and Texas adds a TD. Shocking that Big 12 refs would look the other way so that the highly ranked team stays in NC contention. If we would have done that I would have said we "should" have been flagged. I thought Potts was in LaLa Land for sure. He's a tough kid.....although he looks 35.

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/20/2009, 03:31 AM
Kindle hit him like an apartment at two in the morning...

sooner59
9/20/2009, 03:36 AM
Kindle hit him like an apartment at two in the morning...

Ba-zing!

Leroyt
9/20/2009, 09:28 AM
I hate helmet to helmet in the secondary after a drop, but if you've got the ball in your hands? How about "head on a swivel? The best way to stop it is to get your o-line to block.

Jacie
9/20/2009, 10:10 AM
Some of you see it as over regulating the game. It is one thing to tackle the player with the ball, that is what you are supposed to do in football. However, using a helmet as a weapon, with or without the intent of hurting another player, should be dealt with harshly, the penalty and automatic ejection. The NFL does so because it costs them money. The college game should do so just for the injury potential alone.

On a related note, there was a hit on Ponyboy when he was running out of bounds and the Tech defender was not flagged. Brent thought he should have been but Kirk called it clean. After what happened to OUr defense versus sa*et last year I was kind of surprised to see that non-call in Austin.

IronHorseSooner
9/20/2009, 10:13 AM
I agree, that should have been a penalty, as should the cheap shots that the Fresno QB got against both Wisky and Boise. If you have a rule, enforce it or do away with it.

jwlynn64
9/20/2009, 10:16 AM
That hit on Colt was in bounds and legal. They finally got one right.

cjames317
9/21/2009, 01:51 PM
Can't Leach request a conference review of that call if he disagreed? If Kindle's beheading of Potts wasn't a penalty, then every defensive coordinator should be showing that hit in the "How to Separate Quarterback from Ball" film session.

w0lfe
9/21/2009, 01:58 PM
It was about as bad as the play the refs blew dead on that fake kneel

BermudaSooner
9/21/2009, 02:55 PM
Can't Leach request a conference review of that call if he disagreed? If Kindle's beheading of Potts wasn't a penalty, then every defensive coordinator should be showing that hit in the "How to Separate Quarterback from Ball" film session.

What's the recourse? Nothing of meaning can be done about it now.

BermudaSooner
9/21/2009, 02:55 PM
That hit on Colt was in bounds and legal. They finally got one right.

Agree, although it was exactly like the hit that gained a flag in the RRR last year.

ouduckhunter
9/21/2009, 05:03 PM
Sure looked like the Whorns were head huntin! I didn't even notice the fumble until the replay....I was too busy watchin Potts helmet bouncing around the field!

Sasakwa
9/21/2009, 05:33 PM
Let's not pussify it anymore. Looks like his helmet hits the ball first (causing the fumble) then slides up under Potts helmet knocking it off too. Watch the replay, at 45 or 46 secs his head is down low enough to hit the ball first and the front part of the helmet is going into Potts chest, then the top part gets into Potts helmet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSsLkBG_64Y

meoveryouxinfinity
9/21/2009, 05:38 PM
Let's not pussify it anymore. Looks like his helmet hits the ball first (causing the fumble) then slides up under Potts helmet knocking it off too. Watch the replay, at 45 or 46 secs his head is down low enough to hit the ball first and the front part of the helmet is going into Potts chest, then the top part gets into Potts helmet.

rSsLkBG_64Y

ummmmm
that's not that way I see it. I see it helmet to helmet. It might look like that, but that's just because he was lowering his head.

And the rule doesn't say helmet to helmet is okay if you make the guy fumble or supposedly aim for the ball. The way the rule is written=penalty.

And probably the worst part about it is that fact that he DOES lower his head.

cjames317
9/21/2009, 05:39 PM
What's the recourse? Nothing of meaning can be done about it now.

To get the conference to take a position one way or the other and give officials an objective "bright line" to determine whether a future hit crosses that line.

Potts was a man for getting up after that hit. Musta been the 'stache.

bluedogok
9/21/2009, 08:56 PM
It looked like in slo-mo that Kindle launched himself up into Potts chin leading with the helmet. Nine times out of ten that will get a penalty in any league.

Curly Bill
9/21/2009, 09:02 PM
I think it likely was a penalty, but I don't have a problem with them not calling it on that play. I don't think it was that obvious.

bluedogok
9/21/2009, 09:07 PM
If it had been Colt getting hit like that, it would have probably been called just as if the game had been in Lubbock it would have probably been called.

Curly Bill
9/21/2009, 09:08 PM
If it had been Colt getting hit like that, it would have probably been called just as if the game had been in Lubbock it would have probably been called.

That's certainly a fair point.

Crucifax Autumn
9/21/2009, 10:04 PM
Yeah, but you just can't lay a helmet on the golden child. Hell, you can't even touch him with a feather without a flag flying out.

Gresho Murford
9/22/2009, 10:24 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSsLkBG_64Y

I have no idea what you are watching

bearfan08
9/22/2009, 04:41 PM
I remember when that used to be called "earholing" and was praised when you could lay out a player like that. Happened more on returns than anything else though. Its not like it was a blindside shot, Potts just didn't have pocket awareness. Don't know if it was a penalty, but at game speed it would have been hard to tell for the official. I think for helmet to helmet the first thing to contact the player being hit has to be the helmet (or maybe that is just leading with the helmet). With the way helmets pop off players heads these days just because the helmets pop off the refs can't assume a hit to the head (but that is a discussion for a different thread).

hobbes2702
9/22/2009, 06:16 PM
Just an FYI Sergio's hit doesn't technically fit in the rules as a penalty. I don't have the links but there is a thread on an aggy site with the lists of the rules. It can't be called helmet to helmet because that rule only applies to defenseless players and according to the rule the QB in this case isn't considered defenseless. It also cannot be called spearing because he didn't lead with the crown of his helmet, he led with his facemask. Those are the only two rules which could be called and this hit doesn't fit in either.

Anyway, I really am sick of these rules. I have no problem with trying to protect the players but if you want to do that then tell them not to play a game in which collisions are the deciding factor. Hitting whether helmet to helmet or what is part of football and the only one of these rules I think is ok is about hitting a defenseless player. The rest of the time you better keep your head on a swivel or expect to get lit.

nytehorn
9/22/2009, 09:09 PM
The protocol is on "defenseless" players. If a player see's it coming, and both lowers the head for impact, it is fine. The main thing they are watching for is the "crown" of the helmet hit, to a chin, or back of the head. Face-mask to face-mack is a clean hit, even though the defender may have hit in the chest area first, and slid to the chin, resulting in a crown to chin hit. Close call, and is up to the ref. as to intint.

Sasakwa
9/23/2009, 10:01 AM
According to this guy http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/from_scrimmage/posts/78421-texas-de-kindles-hit-dirty-or-not?eref=fromSI

it was not only legal, it was textbook.

The hit on Colt has to be legal, his foot was inbounds at the moment there was contact.

Gresho Murford
9/23/2009, 10:08 AM
Im not saying it was dirty b/c i don't think it was and I don't know the exact rules but it still looked helmet to helmet to me.

The guys' homerism is coming out when he says look at the photo above, it is clear the he was aiming his helmet for the ball b/c he is still looking at the ball after the collision. haha

cheezyq
9/23/2009, 01:01 PM
I think it likely was a penalty, but I don't have a problem with them not calling it on that play. I don't think it was that obvious.

Same here, as I'd like to see Colt taking several of those kind of hits on the 17th.

Gresho Murford
9/23/2009, 01:05 PM
Same here, as I'd like to see Colt taking several of those kind of hits on the 17th.

not me b/c they will definitely draw flags

cheezyq
9/23/2009, 01:17 PM
not me b/c they will definitely draw flags

Yeah, there is that. But the way that game gets officiated, we'll get flags we don't deserve anyway (Travis Lewis/Colt McCoy 2008). Might as well make them count.

cjames317
9/23/2009, 02:15 PM
Do coaches ever instruct players to commit a penalty, e.g. hold that guy that beat you and is headed for your QB's blind side or hold that guy that's beaten you on a long pass?

Jacie
9/24/2009, 06:40 AM
Statistically, do players on offense suffer onfield injuries more than players on defense?