5. Mississippi
6. Penn State
7. BYU
8. Cal
9. LSU
10. Boise St
11. Ohio St
12. Oklahoma

So way I see it we can cancel out USC, Texas, Ohio St, and 3 of the SEC teams. Since we play Texas, and there are 4 SEC teams, and only 1 can win the SEC. I have ALL the confidence in the world that a 1 loss Big 12 team> a 1 loss big 10 champ. And obviously USC lost.

So that leaves us with:

SEC team
Penn St
BYU
Cal
Boise St
Oklahoma

Basically we need 4 of these teams to lose that’s ahead of us. Let’s break it down.

SEC Team - Honestly, unless it’s LSU or another SEC team that comes out as SEC champ with one loss, I don’t see us overtaking a one loss SEC champ. I think they have a good chance to get a SEC champ into one of the top spots if they get one loss.

Penn St.- They play @ Michigan and vs. Ohio St. Those will probably be their toughest opponents. Then @ Illinois in 2 weeks COULD be tough, but I don’t know. Then there’s always their last game @ Michigan St. Really smells like a trap game, especially if they stroll in their undefeated.

BYU- They’re losing to Florida st. as we speak. I think that’s probably their toughest remaining game to win. They also have conference games against TCU and Utah that could be tough. Both are home though.

Cal- They didn’t look too great IMO today in a struggle versus Minnesota. They play three tough road games in a row. @ Oregon, @ USC, then could be a pesky game @ UCLA. Arizona will be tough as well. They also play their last game @ Washington. We all saw what they are capable of. They definitely face hardest road with 4 tough road games left on schedule.

Boise St. - Now they have the easiest remaining schedule of all the teams. I could easily see them running the table. They have @ Tulsa and @ Hawaii, which I guess could be trouble. But Tulsa didn’t look all that great today. But their SOS rest of the way doesn’t look too great.

Basically that’s how it looks. If we can win out, and win convincingly with a vicious D. I am confident we will find ourselves in one of those two spots.

Your thoughts?

SPuL
9/19/2009, 06:33 PM
Again, I KNOW we need to take it one game at a time. But it doesn't hurt to look ahead.

Just to let those who thought the BYU game threw our hopes out know that we still are very much in it

CK Sooner
9/19/2009, 06:36 PM
Good breakdown.

delhalew
9/19/2009, 06:39 PM
If Texas were to lose to us only, I could imagine ending up on the wrong end of a BCS screw job. Coach and AP poll is the sticky part. The computers will love us as usual.

SPuL
9/19/2009, 06:41 PM
^I don't know. doubt it man. Because we'd be big 12 champion if we won out. Plus, when Texas lose to us, I'm pretty sure they will drop below us. I'm confident in that.

Overtime
9/19/2009, 06:45 PM
If Texas were to lose to us only, I could imagine ending up on the wrong end of a BCS screw job. Coach and AP poll is the sticky part. The computers will love us as usual.

No, not if we beat Texas and win the Big 12. At that point we would both have one loss and we would have that oh-so-important head-to-head. That would have to be one major screw job.

But we've got a loooong way to go before worrying about that...

Overtime
9/19/2009, 06:49 PM
And also, we might need USC to lose another one to really be safe from *that* screw job. If they could beat Cal and lose at home to Oregon State or something that'd be nice =)

delhalew
9/19/2009, 06:50 PM
Are two of you going to tell me Big 12 champs always = trip to the big show or not going to the B12 champ game means you can't pull it off. History tells us otherwise. I'm just saying look out for it. This is the BCS we are talking about. Personal bias and grudges rule the day.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/19/2009, 06:50 PM
If, and that's a huge IF, we win out, we will be there.

A lot of crazy shiv happens in college football.
That's all.

delhalew
9/19/2009, 06:51 PM
And also, we might need USC to lose another one to really be safe from *that* screw job. If they could beat Cal and lose at home to Oregon State or something that'd be nice =)

During the BYU Fla St game they have already began making excuses for the prophylactic posse. Has it been half an hour yet?

SPuL
9/19/2009, 06:59 PM
Are two of you going to tell me Big 12 champs always = trip to the big show or not going to the B12 champ game means you can't pull it off. History tells us otherwise. I'm just saying look out for it. This is the BCS we are talking about. Personal bias and grudges rule the day.

Not always. But in the situation you described, we WILL be ahead of texas.

We will probably be inbetween the 5-10 spot if we win out until we play Texas. We beat Texas, and let's say convincingly, not like Tech and Crabtree beat them. We will EASILY jump over them in the next week's polls. They'll be the #1 or #2 team if undefeated at that point.

so I see no way they will jump us. Especially if we have to play and beat a team like Nebraska twice possibly.

But like someone said, long way to go before thinking of that.

OUAlumni1990
9/19/2009, 07:00 PM
I'm not even going to look at the rankings until November

delhalew
9/19/2009, 07:03 PM
Not always. But in the situation you described, we WILL be ahead of texas.

We will probably be inbetween the 5-10 spot if we win out until we play Texas. We beat Texas, and let's say convincingly, not like Tech and Crabtree beat them. We will EASILY jump over them in the next week's polls. They'll be the #1 or #2 team if undefeated at that point.

so I see no way they will jump us. Especially if we have to play and beat a team like Nebraska twice possibly.

But like someone said, long way to go before thinking of that.

You are most likely right. I just will take nothing for granted with the BCS. Especially, since all kinds of idiots blame us for benefiting from the tiebreaker rule.

SPuL
9/19/2009, 07:04 PM
You are most likely right. I just will take nothing for granted with the BCS. Especially, since all kinds of idiots blame us for benefiting from the tiebreaker rule.

I feel you on that, man. It'd just be highly unlikely. Only way Texas>OU with a OU head to head win over Texas could happen is if it's another 3 way tie. Then possibly.

rwryne
9/19/2009, 07:05 PM
USC canceled themselves out tonight :)

SPuL
9/19/2009, 07:45 PM
If USC is still above us after new rankings....

Crucifax Autumn
9/19/2009, 11:50 PM
SUC will be 4-5 spots ahead of us until they lose another game.

SPuL
9/20/2009, 01:25 AM
I hope not.

SPuL
9/20/2009, 01:30 AM
take out BYU, and that's 3 more teams we need to lose. :cool:

Collier11
9/20/2009, 01:30 AM
I am not one of those conspiracy theorists that thinks the media is out to get us but if usc is still ahead of us after today then something is wrong.

We lost to a top 15 team without our All American Te or our Heisman winning QB and fell to 13 from 3, USC lost to an average washington team that LSU was able to beat.

We should be around 8 or 9 and they should be around 11-14.

What is great is that the media used to fawn over usc but now they are starting to look at Carrolls bad september losses the same way they look at our bowl losses

Collier11
9/20/2009, 01:32 AM
and dont give me the "usc didnt have their qb either" crap, they were without a true frosh who had 2 previous starts, big diff

Knippz
9/20/2009, 01:50 AM
SUC loses to unranked team, but beat Ohio St. who is one spot ahead of us. That'll be tricky.

This doesn't matter. If we beat Asterisk, we will jump back into the top five ahead of any one-loss team. Bank on that.

IronHorseSooner
9/20/2009, 09:13 AM
Again, very early, I couldn't see us not getting some benefit of the doubt. First, we would have won 12 in a row, which if everybody lost once, would have us with the longest winning streak in the country. Second, OUr only loss would have been a one point loss to a top 20 team, without the defending Heisman winner, and without the best TE maybe in the past 10 years. Also, it took Max Hall doing his best Peyton Manning game-winning drive impersonation to give them the lead. With all of that, and with a frosh QB, we still had a chance to win. Third, in order to go get to 12-1, we would have had to beat Miami (in Miami), UTerus (neutral field), KU (in Lawrence), Nebbish (in Lincoln), Tech (in Lubbock), OSU (a bitter rival who has beaten us at home), and possibly Mizzou (that's my pick to come out of the North). That would be SEVEN ranked team, and who knows Tulsa will do in CUSA.If they were to beat Houston, and pull off the upset against Boise, coming out with a 12-1 record would be amazing.

SPuL
9/20/2009, 10:24 AM
^well said man. Agree with everything, except I see Nebraska as a very scary good team. I think it'll be them coming out from the North.

But yeah, this is why I love college football. Nothing is guaranteed :D

unbiasedtruth
9/20/2009, 10:43 AM
I'm still on the Jayhawks wagon to come ridding out of the north and pay a visit to play in Jerryworld in December.....

SPuL
9/20/2009, 01:00 PM
just got better for us with miami moving ahead of us.

JLEW1818
9/20/2009, 01:02 PM
USC beating Ohio State at Ohio State is why they are still top 10

SPuL
9/20/2009, 01:29 PM
Regardless, i'm just happy we're ahead of them. Because looking at both our remaining schedules, if we both win out we'll get the nod. :cool:

JLEW1818
9/20/2009, 01:36 PM
Regardless, i'm just happy we're ahead of them. Because looking at both our remaining schedules, if we both win out we'll get the nod. :cool:

we will always be ahead as long as we keep winning.

sure they have only one loss... but that loss will screw them like last year.

SPuL
9/20/2009, 03:48 PM
Yeah, I think someone mentioned it. But USC tends to always have some horrible early season Pac 10 losses

SPuL
9/27/2009, 03:07 AM
Rankings as of now:

1. Florida
2. Texas
3. USC
4. Alabama
5. Mississippi
6. Penn State
7. BYU
8. Cal
9. LSU
10. Boise St
11. Ohio St
12. Oklahoma

So way I see it we can cancel out USC, Texas, Ohio St, and 3 of the SEC teams. Since we play Texas, and there are 4 SEC teams, and only 1 can win the SEC. I have ALL the confidence in the world that a 1 loss Big 12 team> a 1 loss big 10 champ. And obviously USC lost.

So that leaves us with:

SEC team
Penn St
BYU
Cal
Boise St
Oklahoma

Basically we need 4 of these teams to lose that’s ahead of us. Let’s break it down.

SEC Team - Honestly, unless it’s LSU or another SEC team that comes out as SEC champ with one loss, I don’t see us overtaking a one loss SEC champ. I think they have a good chance to get a SEC champ into one of the top spots if they get one loss.

Penn St.- They play @ Michigan and vs. Ohio St. Those will probably be their toughest opponents. Then @ Illinois in 2 weeks COULD be tough, but I don’t know. Then there’s always their last game @ Michigan St. Really smells like a trap game, especially if they stroll in their undefeated.

BYU- They’re losing to Florida st. as we speak. I think that’s probably their toughest remaining game to win. They also have conference games against TCU and Utah that could be tough. Both are home though.

Cal- They didn’t look too great IMO today in a struggle versus Minnesota. They play three tough road games in a row. @ Oregon, @ USC, then could be a pesky game @ UCLA. Arizona will be tough as well. They also play their last game @ Washington. We all saw what they are capable of. They definitely face hardest road with 4 tough road games left on schedule.

Boise St. - Now they have the easiest remaining schedule of all the teams. I could easily see them running the table. They have @ Tulsa and @ Hawaii, which I guess could be trouble. But Tulsa didn’t look all that great today. But their SOS rest of the way doesn’t look too great.

Basically that’s how it looks. If we can win out, and win convincingly with a vicious D. I am confident we will find ourselves in one of those two spots.

Your thoughts?

So take out Penn St, Cal, and BYU and you're left with Boise St and the SEC team.

Leaves only Boise St. and the SEC team.

However, I'm pretty sure Va Tech jumps us for now.

but looking good :D