PDA

View Full Version : Official Thread to discuss what we need to do to beat the U.

SoonerStormchaser
9/19/2009, 06:12 PM
1. score more points than they do :gary:
2. have the D play like they've been doing since Potato State
3. keep Rataree on the sidelines
4. give Jimmy Stevens more kicking practice

insert more comments

bringit
9/19/2009, 06:14 PM
put Adron Tennel on special teams
offensive line block without holding or moving
cover the middle of the field when they're on O

mightysooner
9/19/2009, 06:15 PM
We need to do what we did today. End of story.....

SoonerStormchaser
9/19/2009, 06:15 PM
The U ran one hell of a great game vs. GaTech...I'm saying it right now, we're gonna need to play PERFECT to beat them down there.

swardboy
9/19/2009, 06:21 PM
I think our o-line is much more disciplined....at least I'm not noticing the offsides penalties. Hope this game represented an exponential improvement opportunity for them.

I getting tired of the long runs everyone seems to pull off on us though....

spacecadet
9/19/2009, 06:22 PM
the U's qb throws the wimpiest passes ever. be aggressive and OU will win.

Now, that being said. If we wanna sit back and let them be the aggessor I say we lose

fadada1
9/19/2009, 06:27 PM
without knowing squat, i'd like to see us NOT blitz too much. our front 4 are getting fantastic pressure by themselves (yes, miami will be a little different). disguise blitzes with safeties, corners, or linebackers. our LBs are the key. stop the run, win the game.

just my opinion.

spacecadet
9/19/2009, 06:29 PM
the key is stop their tight end and we win. they use the tight end like BYU does.

tight ends give OU fits

CK Sooner
9/19/2009, 06:31 PM
I guess that is why Rateree is a walk on. I guess Mensik must not be very good either.

CK Sooner
9/19/2009, 06:32 PM
And I am tired of hearing all the praise for Jimmy Stevens from the coaching staff when he still has trouble.

SoonerStormchaser
9/19/2009, 06:37 PM
I miss Garret Hartley, Trey DiCarlo and Tim Duncan.

GottaHavePride
9/19/2009, 06:40 PM
cue one of 04's Tim Duncan rants in 5... 4... 3... 2...

Flagstaffsooner
9/19/2009, 06:41 PM
Cover the flats.

delhalew
9/19/2009, 06:46 PM
I guess that is why Rateree is a walk on. I guess Mensik must not be very good either.

Mensik got a catch tonight. Rattaree is starting to really get under my skin.

spacecadet
9/19/2009, 06:46 PM
the coaches were really talking up james hannah before the season as a tight end. where is he

CK Sooner
9/19/2009, 06:48 PM
Mensik got a catch tonight. Rattaree is starting to really get under my skin.

Yep, I saw that I wasn't trying to say Mensik is bad, but if Rattaree beat him out then....

CK Sooner
9/19/2009, 06:49 PM
the coaches were really talking up james hannah before the season as a tight end. where is he

Warming the bench and special teams.

prrriiide
9/19/2009, 06:52 PM
Figure out how to get RR some coverage help in the middle. UM will kill us over the middle w/TE and RB and slot play over the middle if we can't tighten it up. Harris won't win any hardware with his arm, but he can hit the dink & dunk that will eat us for 5-8 yds per.

TMcGee86
9/19/2009, 07:55 PM
The U ran one hell of a great game vs. GaTech...I'm saying it right now, we're gonna need to play PERFECT to beat them down there.

Totally agree. If Miami is not a 6pt favorite I will be amazed.

ratherthanlater
9/19/2009, 07:58 PM
I hear if we come in with a bunch of moxy and swagger we might have a chance.

delhalew
9/19/2009, 10:38 PM
If you believe Herbie and Mushberger,:D Miami could be in the top five when we play them.

BetterSoonerThanLater
9/19/2009, 10:58 PM
maybe we shoulr lift some weights? from what i am hearing, the U has a heisman caliber QB...if thats the case we're DOOMED!!!! ;)

soonerborn30
9/19/2009, 11:04 PM
Must...pressure...QB.

Seriously, that kid is SKINNY. Let Gerald McCoy land on him a couple times and see if he can hit those short slants. If the D plays the way they played today, we win going away.

Toronto Sooner
9/19/2009, 11:18 PM

Didn't someone say that he was busy shacking up with Whitney Hand (from the Sooner W b-ball team)?

Hanna needs to learn how to multitask. Kinda like this guy: :pop:

Toronto Sooner
9/19/2009, 11:30 PM
OU needs to focus on shutting down Miami's run game (Cooper, J. James and possible QB runs). It will force their QB to beat us with the pass. I am of the belief that Miami's QB cannot beat us with a one-dimensional passing game. He has a good arm but it is extremely raw. He needs a lot of development. His passes were brutal in the Florida St game. He had some good passes in the Georgia Tech game. Venables needs to stuff Miami's running game and force this QB to beat us with perfect passes for an entire game.

tommieharris91
9/19/2009, 11:32 PM
Didn't someone say that he was busy shacking up with Whitney Hand (from the Sooner W b-ball team)?

Hanna needs to learn how to multitask. Kinda like this guy: :pop:

I thought the rumor was that her and Landry were together... :confused:

Toronto Sooner
9/20/2009, 12:17 AM
I thought the rumor was that her and Landry were together... :confused:

If that's the case (as cheap as that excuse was) now Hanna has no excuse for how he can let a walk on TE (a walk on TE who plays like a walk on TE) beat him out for the #1 catching TE position on the team. Pathetic!.

We need a pass catching TE to step it up. Coach Wilson should start using Dejuan Miller at the TE position (temporarily), especially in double TE sets (where Brody focuses the blocking assignments). Give Dejuan a crash course in TE assignments. Dejuan hasn't been catching many passes at WR, but it sounds like he has been blocking well. He doesn't have a big enough body to play TE on a regular basis right now, but he might be able to go in with certain packages, especially in goal line/end zone situations where his height and his catching abilities represents an advantage.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/20/2009, 12:34 AM
Pound.

The.

Rock.

Fer 'bout 5 yds. per.

That ought to do it.

Toronto Sooner
9/20/2009, 12:36 AM
Let me make one adjustment to my comment regarding the Miami QB. My general observations are still the same about his enormous raw talents, but still requiring a lot of development. What I wanted to correct though was my comment on his performance in the first game, against Florida St. I was interchanging (in my mind) parts of his performance and parts of Georgia Tech's QB performance in their first game against Clemson - I watched both games. It was the Georgia Tech QB's performance that was brutal. At the same time though, the Miami QB's performance was very inconsistent in Miami's first game, even though he ultimately ended up putting up big yards and brought them down the field for the win in the end. I still don't think he can beat us we stuff Miami's running game and force him to beat us with his arm. Florida State's defense was shameful. They weren't quite as bad as the Fresno St and Boise St defenses from last night, but they were awful.

BY THE WAY, MIAMI'S DEFENSE IS SOFT. Georgia Tech is one dimensional. Florida St completely exposed them. They will struggle with OU's multi-dimensional offense, especially if our receivers continue to step up (well, at least Broyles and Caleb, and Cameron with his blocking).

OU needs to focus on shutting down Miami's run game (Cooper, J. James and possible QB runs). It will force their QB to beat us with the pass. I am of the belief that Miami's QB cannot beat us with a one-dimensional passing game. He has a good arm but it is extremely raw. He needs a lot of development. His passes were brutal in the Florida St game. He had some good passes in the Georgia Tech game. Venables needs to stuff Miami's running game and force this QB to beat us with perfect passes for an entire game.

The Maestro
9/20/2009, 06:50 AM
I think our D with the pressure and the Miami QB's weak arm we are looking at at least 3 picks. Seriously. There will be at least 3 moments we can make him pay for being pressured and not having a strong arm.

On O, I still don't get our RB rotation. Yesterday after our pick in the end zone two straight Chris Brown run plays just to the left of center. I mean, it seems to me you run DeMarco early with this speed and slashing and run Chris late when the D is worn down. Anyway, get those boys going and established and just dance with the guys that produce...throw to Broyles, our new 2nd receiver we finally discovered yesterday in Caleb, and the DeMarco. Tennell? Sorry, bud...you've been given enough chances. Nothing cute...no running Matt Clapp on 3rd and 6 cause they'd "never expect that"! Just use your stars and mix it up. Landry can get it done, even if Sam isn't ready.

StoopTroup
9/20/2009, 07:31 AM
We have the edge when it comes to players with PT in the new Orange Bowl.

:D ;)

IronHorseSooner
9/20/2009, 09:50 AM
Two things about Miami: they are athletic and they are young! Young, athletic defenses are susceptible to misdirections, reverses, play action, draws, because they have a tendency to bite on those plays. Also, as OdaNorth stated earlier, we need to pound the ball at them, which will cause them to get frustrated and try to make plays that just aren't there. On defense, as SB30 stated, the front 4 must pressure Harris. He is known down in these parts as being a great athletic talent, but has the propensity to do something stupid on the field. We must come out and pop them in the mouth early. If I'm Coach Stoops, I want my D out there first, as I want them to set the tone.

StoopTroup
9/20/2009, 10:01 AM
Setting the tone in this one is important IMO. They are going to take the field with blood in their eyes. We need to stop their 1st drive and our Offense needs to perform flawless in the 1st half. Doing that and this will be a 2nd half contest that will go to the team with the least amount of turnovers and penalties. I hope our guys don't over-react to the thuggery that is a Ibis Tradition.

Biggest story going into this is who will be our QB. I'm starting to lean towards Stoops starting Landry and if he doesn't do well....you'll see Sam come in if he's OK to go. My thought is that Stoops would like to give Sam as much time as possible before Texas and if Landry can pull off the win in Miami...he'll share PT with Sam against Baylor at Home.

Guess we'll see though.

olevetonahill
9/20/2009, 10:37 AM
Quit droppin our BALLS
nuff said

engineer24
9/20/2009, 11:43 AM
Figure out how to get RR some coverage help in the middle. UM will kill us over the middle w/TE and RB and slot play over the middle if we can't tighten it up. Harris won't win any hardware with his arm, but he can hit the dink & dunk that will eat us for 5-8 yds per.

Quoted for truth. Ryan Reynolds is going to get absolutely abused trying to cover their TEs or slot WRs. It will look exactly like the Texas game last year.

If the coaches have any sense at all, they will take him off the field on 2nd/long and 3rd downs. He's a total liability in pass defense.

engineer24
9/20/2009, 11:45 AM
Must...pressure...QB.

Seriously, that kid is SKINNY. Let Gerald McCoy land on him a couple times and see if he can hit those short slants. If the D plays the way they played today, we win going away.

The Sooners dont play tight enough coverage to stop slants.

CK Sooner
9/20/2009, 11:45 AM
Quoted for truth. Ryan Reynolds is going to get absolutely abused trying to cover their TEs or slot WRs. It will look exactly like the Texas game last year.

If the coaches have any sense at all, they will take him off the field on 2nd/long and 3rd downs. He's a total liability in pass defense.

Let's hold judgment until that game is over. He did decent last year and has done good so far this year covering.

StoopTroup
9/20/2009, 11:49 AM
It will look exactly like the Texas game last year.

You do remember that RR went out in the texas game with a knee injury last year right?

Not sure how it's going to look exactly the same unless he blows out his knee again.

You sound like a whorn.

If the coaches have any sense...they won't hire you as their next waterboy.

soonerborn30
9/20/2009, 02:03 PM
The Sooners dont play tight enough coverage to stop slants.

I agree completely. I wish we did. I was actually thinking if GK hits him a couple times he won't be throwing much of anything from the trainer's table in the locker room....:O

engineer24
9/20/2009, 03:32 PM
You do remember that RR went out in the texas game with a knee injury last year right?

Not sure how it's going to look exactly the same unless he blows out his knee again.

They were abusing Reynolds before he left the game. It just happens the backup was even worse.

StoopTroup
9/20/2009, 03:36 PM
They were abusing Reynolds before he left the game. It just happens the backup was even worse.

Isn't that pretty much why he was a starter?

Don't they usually start the best guy they have?

Your welcome to your opinion about what happened prior to Ryan going out of the game. He was still the best guy out there that day in the MLB position. He'll be the best we have this year looks like to me.

Seems he's started in 3 games this year and the defense he leads has had 14 points amassed so far...oh and back to back shutouts.

:pop: