PDA

View Full Version : Said it before: This is a championship caliber defense

OU_PhD
9/19/2009, 06:01 PM
Are there still a lot of naysayers out there?

I got neg spek'd to high hell for being a homer last time I made this same claim.

Anyone jumping on board now?

This is a championship caliber defense and we haven't what we are seeing now since 2001.

This group is special and will be special for a while.

JLEW1818
9/19/2009, 06:02 PM
yes sir

guys this is looking like a year, where everybody might lose 1+ games

I'm glad we lost early

delhalew
9/19/2009, 06:04 PM
The secondary is much improved from the first two games.

BetterSoonerThanLater
9/19/2009, 06:04 PM
i'm in! most impressed i've been by OUr defense in quite a while.

Petro-Sooner
9/19/2009, 06:07 PM
This was tulsa. They're just not good. I'll take notice if we show up at Miami.

Hotrod3157
9/19/2009, 06:09 PM
As long as they keep the mental mistakes out of it I'll be in. Two games without having a receiver running by themselves over the middle or deep gives me more confidence. Ask me again after Miami.

bringit
9/19/2009, 06:09 PM

what he said

bringit
9/19/2009, 06:12 PM
7 - 0 FSU over BYU

mightysooner
9/19/2009, 06:14 PM
I've been a big critic of Venables defenses but today.......that was a defensive clinic in how to beat somebody's ***. Nice game Vulnerables.

Oh...and....FEAR THE STACHE!

BOOMER!!!!

madillsoonerfan5353
9/19/2009, 06:16 PM

^^ This +1

sooner94
9/19/2009, 06:23 PM
The secondary is much improved from the first two games.

Didn't we only give up a total of 14 points in those 2 games?

meoveryouxinfinity
9/19/2009, 06:25 PM
I probably neg'd you but I take it back. Tulsa got their yards but our defense held down the fort.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/19/2009, 06:26 PM
it was an interesting curveball they threw today - lots of man blitzes whree normally we would have used zone blitzes. i just don't see it working as well against better teams. tulsa kind of played into our hands by camping like they were expecting zone.

Sirus
9/19/2009, 06:29 PM
I've been on board with you doc when it comes to defense. it was the offense I was worried about, or the lack of coaching.

delhalew
9/19/2009, 06:31 PM
Didn't we only give up a total of 14 points in those 2 games?

You know that doesn't tell the whole story. Assuming you actually watched those two games...you know as well as I do the secondary was much improved.

spacecadet
9/19/2009, 06:32 PM
shutdown Miami and Texas and come back and talk about a championship defense

mehip
9/19/2009, 06:34 PM
I will be convinced when they get off the field on 3rd down when it counts against ranked teams. I sincerely hope you are right and this D punches Miami, Texas and, the pokes in the mouth early, often, and in the fourth quarter.

Since71ASooner4Life
9/19/2009, 06:35 PM
Are there still a lot of naysayers out there?

I got neg spek'd to high hell for being a homer last time I made this same claim.

Anyone jumping on board now?

This is a championship caliber defense and we haven't what we are seeing now since 2001.

This group is special and will be special for a while.

In 1985 we lost an early season game but came back to take the NC with a dominating defense, lead by a big pass rush. Wouldn't it be nice to see history repeat.

OU_PhD
9/19/2009, 06:36 PM
Tulsa was the #1 offense in the country last season and didn't get on the scoreboard today.

oulucas
what he said

What they said. Yes, the D played well today (as they should). If we can have that type of performance vs. Miami and Texas I will be very pleased. Unfortunately, Miami and Texas have much better players than Tulsa. I am optimistic.

Petro-Sooner
shutdown Miami and Texas and come back and talk about a championship defense

Yep!

CK Sooner
9/19/2009, 06:37 PM

Tulsa has a good offense, not great but good.

Give the D credit where credit is earned.

Petro-Sooner
9/19/2009, 06:38 PM

Without a doubt I thought we played well. But I would hold off on great til we play someone. JMHO.

SPuL
9/19/2009, 06:40 PM
I probably neg'd you but I take it back. Tulsa got their yards but our defense held down the fort.

Tulsa got their yards??

I don't know, mann. they only had 135 yds in the first half. OU basically put game out of reach in first half.

You cna't blame OU d. Tulsa started inside the 50 like 3 times, got inside the OU 35 FOUR TIMES, and the OU 10 twice, and STILL walked away with no points.

And for the game as a whole they only got 269 yds. We actually held them to FEWER yards in the second half.

Tulsa or not, impressive showing.

oksoonerdave
9/19/2009, 06:49 PM
Tulsa got their yards??

I don't know, mann. they only had 135 yds in the first half. OU basically put game out of reach in first half.

You cna't blame OU d. Tulsa started inside the 50 like 3 times, got inside the OU 35 FOUR TIMES, and the OU 10 twice, and STILL walked away with no points.

And for the game as a whole they only got 269 yds. We actually held them to FEWER yards in the second half.

Tulsa or not, impressive showing.

Amen......

The Defense ruled. The Offensive line looked much better and protected Landry on almost all plays.

Great game SOONERS

OUAlumni1990
9/19/2009, 06:57 PM
Venables off the hot seat (for now) D looks good!

OUAlumni1990
9/19/2009, 06:59 PM

That sums it up CK.

mightysooner
9/19/2009, 07:00 PM
Our blitz packages are still weak and never get through but the D-line made up for it......today anyway.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/19/2009, 07:10 PM
the D did look good today, they had craptacular field position all day and they generated what? 4 turnovers? the problem is that those TOs won't always be there and their inability to establish field position will come back to haunt them when they disappear. a championship D tends to guarantee its O great field position on 85% of its starting snaps.

SPuL
9/19/2009, 07:28 PM
Yeah, but in this game the O basically guaranteed the defense bad starting position a lot in first half

OU_PhD
9/19/2009, 07:32 PM
This is a special defensive line. They are amazing.

Gresho Murford
9/19/2009, 08:10 PM

And after we beat them you will say just wait til Texas right?

Tulsa is a very good offensive team

tulsaoilerfan
9/19/2009, 08:14 PM
Tulsa was the #1 offense in the country last season and didn't get on the scoreboard today.

Only cause their QB played like **** when they had chances to score

Petro-Sooner
9/19/2009, 08:14 PM

I said I would take notice if we showed up. Said nothing about beating them.

tulsaoilerfan
9/19/2009, 08:15 PM

Tulsa is a mediocre team on offense outside of 1 player; Kinne looked like he had never played a college game IMO

tulsaoilerfan
9/19/2009, 08:16 PM

Tulsa plays crap teams in a crap conference, and every time they have to step up and play a BCS conference team they usually get drilled; Miami in 2 weeks will show us exactly what kind of team we have this season

Gresho Murford
9/19/2009, 08:18 PM
Tulsa plays crap teams in a crap conference, and every time they have to step up and play a BCS conference team they usually get drilled; Miami in 2 weeks will show us exactly what kind of team we have this season

and after that we will have to wait til after Texas. gothca

TMcGee86
9/19/2009, 08:24 PM
Tulsa is a mediocre team on offense outside of 1 player; Kinne looked like he had never played a college game IMO

This.

There were numerous times where a guy was open and Kinne floated it or just flat out missed his guy. Miami's QB might do that if we are extremely lucky, Colt wont.

Hotrod3157
9/19/2009, 08:30 PM
and after that we will have to wait til after Texas. gothca

I'll be sold if we shut down Miami and play solid assignment defense in the process. That will make 3 weeks with nobody running wide open in the secondary and shutting down at least one high quality offense. After watching Miami and Texas the past two weeks Im more impressed with the U's offense then Texas.

LawtonBoy74
9/19/2009, 08:48 PM
Yea, I'll agree that Tulsa doesnt have the players as the Miami's and Saxet's but they do have a good scheme which produces points..and today they had zero..good job D

josh09
9/19/2009, 08:54 PM

Exactly what i was going to say. Ill take a shutout against an offense like this any day. OUr D is good.

soonervegas
9/19/2009, 09:04 PM
Let's see how it goes when they have to stop a team with the game on the line. Vebables D has always looked good as a front runner.

BetterSoonerThanLater
9/19/2009, 09:10 PM
This.

There were numerous times where a guy was open and Kinne floated it or just flat out missed his guy. Miami's QB might do that if we are extremely lucky, Colt wont.

if he plays the way he is tonight, he will. colt looks like S!@#

htownsooner7
9/19/2009, 09:17 PM
I can't believe I'm having to say this again, but I will... Let's give them credit when credit is due. Shut down Texas and I'll respect it, at Kansas and I'll revere, at Braska and I'll honor, before that its all premature..

soonerchris
9/19/2009, 09:22 PM
Holy crap this is a damn sooner board!! Question. Are you guys alive or activly dead? Half full or empty? Some of you should not be near any sharp objects you might hurt yourselves!

tulsaoilerfan
9/19/2009, 09:26 PM
Holy crap this is a damn sooner board!! Question. Are you guys alive or activly dead? Half full or empty? Some of you should not be near any sharp objects you might hurt yourselves!

No, it's just that some of us prefer to not get too excited over dominating teams at Norman that we should dominate; championship caliber teams win in hostile environments and we still got plenty of those to go

TMcGee86
9/19/2009, 09:37 PM
if he plays the way he is tonight, he will. colt looks like S!@#

This is very true. I like what I am seeing tonight. I hope he keeps this up.

Hotrod3157
9/19/2009, 09:39 PM
This is very true. I like what I am seeing tonight. I hope he keeps this up.

Ditto

sooner ngintunr
9/19/2009, 09:39 PM
Tulsa plays crap teams in a crap conference, and every time they have to step up and play a BCS conference team they always get drilled; Miami in 2 weeks will show us exactly what kind of team we have this season

fixed.

They're 0-16 against BCS teams IIRC.

OU_PhD
9/19/2009, 09:43 PM
The special teams unit also deserves a lot of credit. they have been outstanding.

sooner ngintunr
9/19/2009, 10:26 PM
Let's see how it goes when they have to stop a team with the game on the line.

didn't we already see that?

Collier11
9/19/2009, 10:28 PM

Miami is not that good, ill be impressed when we beat texas

OUAlumni1990
9/19/2009, 10:37 PM

Texas not that good. I'll be impressed when we win the national championship!! ;)

OUAlumni1990
9/19/2009, 10:37 PM
National championship not that good, I'll be impressed when we dominate the world!!! LOL

theresonly1OU
9/19/2009, 10:39 PM

They stomped a ranked GT team that dominated last year, and beat an FSU team in Tallahassee that just whipped the dogs**t out of the mormons IN PROVO, and will almost certainly be favored to beat a VT team that eeked out a win over the ranked bugeaters today.

I'm not sure what your definition of a good football team is, but if you're not including Miami at this point, you might want to consult the dictionary.

Just sayin" :D

Collier11
9/19/2009, 10:39 PM
world is run by a bunch of democrats, not that impressed ;)

Collier11
9/19/2009, 10:41 PM
They stomped a ranked GT team that dominated last year, and beat an FSU team in Tallahassee that just whipped the dogs**t out of the mormons IN PROVO, and will almost certainly be favored to beat a VT team that eeked out a win over the ranked bugeaters today.

I'm not sure what your definition of a good football team is, but if you're not including Miami at this point, you might want to consult the dictionary.

Just sayin" :D

They beat a SLOW, ONE DIMENSIONAL GT team and a highly overrated FSU team.

Sure, FSU beat BYU but most nights we are 21 pts better than BYU, they beat us fair and square but we all know who is the better team

Miami is not that good, against an average D they would have thrown 3 or 4 picks on Thursday night

TahoeSOONER
9/19/2009, 10:41 PM
Teams are never as good or bad as they show in blowout games like this.

Much respect to Coach V for a great game plan today.

We tackle in space much better this year thus far.

theresonly1OU
9/19/2009, 10:48 PM
They beat a SLOW, ONE DIMENSIONAL GT team and a highly overrated FSU team.

Sure, FSU beat BYU but most nights we are 21 pts better than BYU, they beat us fair and square but we all know who is the better team

I get what you're saying, and I might even agree a little with what you said above, but I think you have to give Miami a little credit; that game looked scary looming on the schedule back in July when Gresh and Sam were healthy, and with the way Miami is playing, will be tough for us to win even with Sam back under center.

IMHO, if we go to Miami, who will probably be in the top 10 or even 5 (if they beat VT next week), and shut them down like we did Tulsa, I will be VERY impressed.

Collier11
9/19/2009, 10:50 PM
Dont get me wrong, I think Miami is a huge swing game for us...probably the diff between us going 10-3 and competing for the natl title again, if we win at Miami we could get on a run. It will be tough but we are the better team easily if we play well

gaylordfan1
9/19/2009, 10:50 PM
Their will be more upsets to come this year... it is college football. But I do think there will be several unbeaten teams too. I'm ready to see Coach V's game plan against the U. Hopefully we will see another goose egg (0)! I give the defense props... Tulsa is a high scoring offense... I thought they would have scored at leat 2 td's.

Collier11
9/19/2009, 10:52 PM
Tulsa is Tulsa but I dont think any of us thought we would shut them out, this may be our Best D under Stoops....May be?!

gaylordfan1
9/19/2009, 10:57 PM
Yeah, I was good to see the CB's get into the game. Still waiting on Franks to light it up... he will in time.

OU_PhD
9/19/2009, 11:01 PM
There is a fire I see now with this team that I haven't seen in some time.

The defense nearly willed their way to a victory against BYU and are determined to carry the team the rest of the way if they must.

The offensive line is playing much better and special teams have been stellar.

cheezyq
9/19/2009, 11:18 PM
I'm withholding my judgment. Against BYU, what I saw was individual talent overcoming a scheme that allows the opposition to complete wide open passes over the middle. I think our speed was key, as we frequently had to chase receivers after the catch. There were also two significantly busted plays, just like we usually see with this defense.

I didn't see Idaho State, but that game won't tell me much simply because of the caliber of opponent.

The defense looked good against Tulsa, no doubt. But the Tulsa offensive scheme didn't look all that complicated either. Like Stoops said at halftime, I wasn't especially impressed with the run defense in the first half.

But, at the very least, it's encouraging.

boomersooner2001
9/19/2009, 11:27 PM
it was an interesting curveball they threw today - lots of man blitzes whree normally we would have used zone blitzes. i just don't see it working as well against better teams. tulsa kind of played into our hands by camping like they were expecting zone.

The key word here is "curveball". FINALLY, finally, finally, Venables changed up the D from the crusty ol' cover 2 zone, to some man, man blitzes, among other things. It looked to me like he finally decided to let his talent on the defensive side just play. And play well they did. Keep it up, add a few wrinkles here and there, and we'll see more of the same!

Collier11
9/19/2009, 11:29 PM
Agreed, Venables is a really really really good D coordinator who has only been holding himself back from being great by not mixing things up more, this was a good sight to see

Curly Bill
9/19/2009, 11:44 PM
Agreed, Venables is a really really really good D coordinator who has only been holding himself back from being great by not mixing things up more, this was a good sight to see

Did you say that with a straight face? :D

He's only been the DC for how long? If, and it's a big IF, he has finally figured things out what the hell took him so long?

....and by the way: we shut out Tulsa, that was good, but hardly anything to get too excited about.

Collier11
9/19/2009, 11:46 PM
Tulsa is a top 10 offense in the country, regardless of their conference.

Venables is one of the top 15 D coord in the nation, whether you or any other OU fans like it or not. There are a few things that seperate him from being a top 2 or 3 D coord, hopefully he figures those things out

boomersooner2001
9/19/2009, 11:48 PM
....and by the way: we shut out Tulsa, that was good, but hardly anything to get too excited about.

Granted it was Tulsa, but they score points, and to be in the redzone how many times and come away with zero points is a feat in itself. I don't care what team it is.

Curly Bill
9/19/2009, 11:48 PM
Tulsa is a top 10 offense in the country, regardless of their conference.

Venables is one of the top 15 D coord in the nation, whether you or any other OU fans like it or not. There are a few things that seperate him from being a top 2 or 3 D coord, hopefully he figures those things out

LOL

Collier11
9/19/2009, 11:49 PM
Really, do you ever look at the stats Curly? They were avg 41 ppg before today this year and have been a top 10-15 offense for 2 or 3 yrs now

Curly Bill
9/19/2009, 11:51 PM
Really, do you ever look at the stats Curly?

Do you understand they build those stats against teams that aren't very good?

boomersooner2001
9/19/2009, 11:52 PM
IMO, the best thing today was allowing the D-line to create pressure. Venables allowed the D to take away the silly a** underneath crap that continuously beats us, and when you take away that, you get to see just how dominate our D line is.

Collier11
9/19/2009, 11:54 PM
I think you are not giving OU near enough credit for shutting out a high powered offense just because you dont like BV, its not like it is a secret. No one said Tulsa was USC 04 but this is and has been a damn good offense, one that scored 21 against us last yr I believe

Curly Bill
9/19/2009, 11:57 PM
I'll say this about the Tulsa offense: G.J. Kinne should have taken us up on our offer to come here and play linebacker.

Collier11
9/19/2009, 11:58 PM
we will see how good Tulsa is in a few weeks when they get Boise at home

Curly Bill
9/20/2009, 12:00 AM
I'll say this about the Tulsa offense: Shavodrick Beaver made Auston English look silly.

...and serious question: is RJ Washington, David King or somebody not better than English?

Hotrod3157
9/20/2009, 12:01 AM
Today gave me hope not because we shut out Tulsa. We have a lot more talent and athletes then they do so we should be able to shut them out. The way we did it showed a glimmer of hope. There were actually some twists on defense not the same old Cover 2 blah blah blah, zone blitz blah blah blah. Tulsa looked like they totally expected to get nothing but cover 2 in their game plan and didn't adjust to some new stuff they got shown. Its the first time I've mentioned hope with Venables in a long time.

Curly Bill
9/20/2009, 12:02 AM
Maybe Bob finally chewed BV's *** to the point that BV's head was freed? :P

Collier11
9/20/2009, 12:04 AM
CB needs BV therapy :D

boomersooner2001
9/20/2009, 12:05 AM

Honestly, I would really be interested to know just how much influence BS has on the D now. He'll never say it, 'cause it will make BV look bad, but I am curious to know. I'll bet BS has quite a bit to do with the schemes now.

Hotrod3157
9/20/2009, 12:05 AM

Hahaha now that was funny.

Curly Bill
9/20/2009, 12:07 AM
CB needs BV therapy :D

I just don't think he's especially good at his job.

...and are you the one that still owes me a list of all the head coaching jobs he's turned down to stay at OU? :P

Collier11
9/20/2009, 12:09 AM
well I cant produce any links cus it is all off the record as we all know but Missouri was one, Kstate may or may not have been another, there were some smaller schools that wanted him as well

Curly Bill
9/20/2009, 12:11 AM
well I cant produce any links cus it is all off the record as we all know but Missouri was one, Kstate may or may not have been another, there were some smaller schools that wanted him as well

Even if I accept that he has been offered head coaching jobs, which I don't, how many has he been offered lately?

...smaller schools... LOL

Collier11
9/20/2009, 12:13 AM
by smaller schools I mean non BCS conf schools, not UCO, lol

Collier11
9/20/2009, 12:13 AM
In the last two yrs I dont think any, in the 3 or 4 yrs prior to that I would say a couple atleast

Curly Bill
9/20/2009, 12:15 AM
Listen, I seriously hope he's offered at least one HC job this year...

...and that he accepts.

Collier11
9/20/2009, 12:18 AM
of course you do, just be careful what you wish for...tell me this CB, who are we going to get that is better? Remember, the scheme he runs is ultimately up to Stoops, not BV

Curly Bill
9/20/2009, 12:36 AM
of course you do, just be careful what you wish for...tell me this CB, who are we going to get that is better? Remember, the scheme he runs is ultimately up to Stoops, not BV

We've been down this road before. I do not keep a rolodex on my desk of DC's. I just know I don't care for the job that BV has done.

The two game shutout streak over Potato State, and the vaunted Tulsa offense notwithstanding. ;)

Collier11
9/20/2009, 12:38 AM
Ok, so if we go out and hold Miami and UT to 24 or less with all the talent they have, would you be good with that or do you want something better?

Curly Bill
9/20/2009, 12:39 AM
Ok, so if we go out and hold Miami and UT to 24 or less with all the talent they have, would you be good with that or do you want something better?

I want our D to be consistently good long term. So no, I would not be good with a two game stretch.

Collier11
9/20/2009, 12:42 AM
that would be a 6 game stretch plus the last two games of last yr so an 8 game stretch of really good D

Curly Bill
9/20/2009, 12:44 AM
I don't think our D was really good against BYU. Couldn't get off the field on 3rd down.

Collier11
9/20/2009, 12:49 AM
Curly, lets take off the hater shades for a second

We shut down a pretty decent Mizzou team in the Big 12 title
Held Florida 3 tds below their season avg and if our Offense could have finished drives, likely would have given up less than 24
Gave up 14 to a good BYU team despite the fact that our D was on the field for 61% of the game
Shut out a bad Idaho State team
Shut out a good but not great Tulsa team

You need to give credit to BV where credit is due

Curly Bill
9/20/2009, 12:53 AM
I don't hate him at all, I just don't think he's one of the best DC's in the country. OU is an elite program -- we should have one of the best.

tulsaoilerfan
9/20/2009, 12:55 AM
Tulsa is Tulsa but I dont think any of us thought we would shut them out, this may be our Best D under Stoops....May be?!

The 2001 team is very offended by that statement lol

Collier11
9/20/2009, 12:57 AM
Tell me who is better?

I would take Nick Holt who was previously at USC and now at UW, I would take Mike Stoops, seriously though, who else?

Bama and Georgia both get lit up several times a year, Penn state does as well, Bo Pelini got lit up a few times despite winning the natl title with LSU, Maybe Boises D coord? Maybe Floridas? I think you highly underrate the way offenses are big time these days.

BV is a top 15 D coord easily, possibly Top 10

Collier11
9/20/2009, 12:58 AM
The 2001 team is very offended by that statement lol

I said maybe, we still have to see what they do against Texas, Neb, Miami, Kansas, etc... long ways to go

SoonerKnight
9/20/2009, 12:58 AM
Crap! I agree with CB! :confused:

:D

Curly Bill
9/20/2009, 01:06 AM
I for the most part base my opinion of BV on the fact that our D makes the same mistakes year after year, we play the same soft crappy zone defense year after year despite having athletes as good as anyone's, our blitz package could have been designed by a junior high coach, and on the biggest stage (bowl games) our defense has not gotten the job done, and in a couple of instances has totally melted down.

Yes we tend to play well against teams we are familiar with, Missouri for example, TT being another, but when our defense is being gashed BV does not have the mental ability to make adjustments on the fly. I mean is Jordan Shipley still running free across the middle of our defense?

Collier11
9/20/2009, 01:11 AM
and as I keep saying, show me 10 D's in the nation who dont have bad games or bust assignments, I think it is easy to criticize BV cus we see every single play but im fairly confident that every team deals with the same stuff we do

Hell, Florida and their all world D got burnt over the top to lose the game against Ole Miss last year while giving up 34 pts

SoonerKnight
9/20/2009, 01:49 AM
Oklahoma Football is about a powerful O and a Really mean D! I remember the defense of the Switzer years. If we fumbled the ball we could get it back or prevent a TD! I even remember a hell of a goal line stand where we did not allow anyone in even at the 1 yard line.

Collier11
9/20/2009, 01:57 AM
Our D under BV has had alteast 3 really bad Azz goal line stands against good osu teams alone