PDA

View Full Version : Who has eaten at McAlester's Deli?

C&CDean
9/18/2009, 02:10 PM
We went there for lunch today. Several people told us how great it was. I had a reuben, and momma had some panini fag sammich with a cup of soup. It was OK, but the portions were for a 8 year old, and the bill was about $16.

For $16 we can both get a Bronx Bomber at Penny Hill Subs, some chips, and still have a little change. Twice the food, twice as good.

On the upside, Sam Bradford was there. No sling, and a little kid came up and asked for an autograph. He signed it with his bad wing, so maybe there's hope... Sam smiled, chatted a little with him, and signed his shirt. The kid was maybe 7 or so. He was just beaming the rest of his meal. Pretty cool.

JohnnyMack
9/18/2009, 02:12 PM
Sucks.

You. And McAllisters.

Not Sam.

Petro-Sooner
9/18/2009, 02:12 PM
Tried it once, and like you was not impressed!

King Crimson
9/18/2009, 02:13 PM
panini fag sandwich, hehe. there for a while after the "wraps" thing died down....every sammie on planet earth came on something called "ciabatta bread" (which was only marginally a real ciabatta).

i always go to Penny Hill with my mom and sister when i'm in town. always good.

NormanPride
9/18/2009, 02:14 PM
Get the potatoes. They're pretty good and dang huge.

Of course, you could also just go somewhere good and eat better for less. They do have healthier options than most places, though.

yermom
9/18/2009, 02:17 PM
i used to get the panini fag sandwich at YoYo's in Union back inna day

and yeah, i give McAllister's a solid "meh". OU likes to use them to cater stuff. the cookies are pretty good though

i've never been to Penny Hill, but Goodcents is the best around campus IMO

C&CDean
9/18/2009, 02:17 PM
Get the potatoes. They're pretty good and dang huge.

Of course, you could also just go somewhere good and eat better for less. They do have healthier options than most places, though.

Dude, the last thing my fat *** needs is a giant pile of carbs on a plate. I saw those taters, and some soup in a bread bowl thingy that looked pretty good, but damn, who needs that many carbs?

If you haven't tried Penny Hill, you oughta. Very consistent, and they're big Sooner fans to boot.

85Sooner
9/18/2009, 02:20 PM
I get the half sand/Half potato(e) combo $6.95 and it is a big potatoe.
Good stuff

NormanPride
9/18/2009, 02:21 PM
A potato may have a ton of carbs, but the calories in general aren't that bad. It's when you add all the cheese, sour cream, bacon, and otro basura that it gets interesting.

But if yer doin' that Atkins thing, then... watch out for your pancreas.

yermom
9/18/2009, 02:23 PM
otro basura?

that sounds tasty

C&CDean
9/18/2009, 02:26 PM
A potato may have a ton of carbs, but the calories in general aren't that bad. It's when you add all the cheese, sour cream, bacon, and otro basura that it gets interesting.

But if yer doin' that Atkins thing, then... watch out for your pancreas.

Actually, if you read the latest research on this topic, a potato is much better for you WITH butter/cheese/sour cream. The fats take longer to digest/breakdown so you don't get the half-cup of sugar a big potato is all of a sudden. Easier on your pancreas. Doesn't have to do a mega insulin dump all at once.

Scott D
9/18/2009, 02:39 PM
mega insulin dumps are the ****.

tommieharris91
9/18/2009, 02:48 PM
McAlester's values their food wayyyy too much IMO. It's tasty, but it's not worth $8 per plate.

NormanPride
9/18/2009, 02:57 PM
Actually, if you read the latest research on this topic, a potato is much better for you WITH butter/cheese/sour cream. The fats take longer to digest/breakdown so you don't get the half-cup of sugar a big potato is all of a sudden. Easier on your pancreas. Doesn't have to do a mega insulin dump all at once.

**** yeah, an excuse to load down them taters. Thanks, Dean!

soonerbrat
9/18/2009, 03:00 PM
city bites is better.

JLEW1818
9/18/2009, 03:08 PM
their sweet tea is the best

Lott's Bandana
9/18/2009, 03:22 PM
One word:

Pita Pit

Tulsa_Fireman
9/18/2009, 03:28 PM
What he said.

That place is bad ***.

tator
9/18/2009, 03:39 PM
McAlesters sucks

StoopTroup
9/18/2009, 03:45 PM
Tell the truth Dean. That child was you wasn't it? :D

Did he shake your hand too? :D

Tulsa_Fireman
9/18/2009, 03:46 PM
Hell, if I saw Sam Bradford, I'd have him sign my boobs.

StoopTroup
9/18/2009, 03:46 PM
^lol

StoopTroup
9/18/2009, 03:47 PM
Hell, if I saw Sam Bradford, I'd have him sign my boobs.

That right there is gonna be someone new sig....lol

Partial Qualifier
9/18/2009, 04:06 PM
their sweet tea is the best

that's exactly what all the old ladies in our office say about McAllisters. :D

One word:

Pita Pit

I love me some pita pit

TopDawg
9/18/2009, 05:04 PM
McAllister's sweet tea is good, but I'm starting to think it's not worth it. The last couple of times I've been there it's just been okay. The tea I mean. And since the food is just okay (and overpriced) it's dropped down on my list.

For good sandwiches, I'll take Goodscents or Bison Witches over McAllister's. I need to try Penny Hill, though...I've heard good things. Isn't that the one there just off of Main Street a little east of Panera?

StoopTroup
9/18/2009, 05:14 PM
Wasn't this thread about eating?

OklaPony
9/18/2009, 05:27 PM
You ordered the wrong item. The Orange Cranberry Club is da bomb.

Generally speaking I prefer Penny Hill, though.

OklaPony
9/18/2009, 05:27 PM
McAllister's sweet tea is good, but I'm starting to think it's not worth it. The last couple of times I've been there it's just been okay. The tea I mean. And since the food is just okay (and overpriced) it's dropped down on my list.

For good sandwiches, I'll take Goodscents or Bison Witches over McAllister's. I need to try Penny Hill, though...I've heard good things. Isn't that the one there just off of Main Street a little east of Panera?

Yep, that's the joint. On Hal Muldrow across the street from what used to be the bus station.

StoopTroup
9/18/2009, 05:47 PM
The best sammich I ever had at McAllisters was free. I was with a friend who used to work with the Manager.

I should have ordered two subs.

Honestly...the portions of the potato salad isn't worth putting on the plate. It decent potato salad. Nothing really special. just decent. Beats the heck outta Mickey D's. If they would put a McAllisters on the turnpike....McDs would be forced to clean up their act.

I haven't walked into a clean McDs on the turnpike in ten years.

JLEW1818
9/18/2009, 05:48 PM
Chick-fil-A should have a dollar menu

that is all

Octavian
9/18/2009, 05:48 PM
ordinary and expensive

for a better time, go round back to Opie's

StoopTroup
9/18/2009, 05:56 PM
Chick Filet should replace all the McDs on the Pike.

Lott's Bandana
9/18/2009, 06:15 PM
The best sammich I ever had at McAllisters was free. I was with a friend who used to work with the Manager.

I should have ordered two subs.

Honestly...the portions of the potato salad isn't worth putting on the plate. It decent potato salad. Nothing really special. just decent. Beats the heck outta Mickey D's. If they would put a McAllisters on the turnpike....McDs would be forced to clean up their act.

I haven't walked into a clean McDs on the turnpike in ten years.

The Mac's on the eastbound side at Bristow is kaput.

TopDawg
9/18/2009, 06:24 PM
You ordered the wrong item. The Orange Cranberry Club is da bomb.

Generally speaking I prefer Penny Hill, though.

That's usually what I get. In fact, 99 times out of 100 that's what I'll get. With mac n cheese. But like StoopTroop, I'm not a fan of the size of their sides. The tater salad and mac n cheese are both good, but would fit in a shot glass.

Since I usually get the Orange Cranberry Club and since the sweet tea is a draw (even when it's just okay) McAllisters is a place I usually only go during the summer. In fact, I notice a strong correlation between my enjoyment of McAllisters and the weather. When it's hot outside, McAllisters is a LOT better. The OC club and sweet tea is good eatin and drinkin when it's hot outside.

And while I agree that their menu is generally overpriced, the OC Club is at least a better deal than some of their other stuff.

sooneron
9/18/2009, 09:03 PM
Dean, what should have tipped you off in the first place is that it's not a REAL DELI. :rolleyes: That place is average in the abysmal sense.

GottaHavePride
9/18/2009, 09:40 PM
Jason's Deli, now... that's a whole other story.

The Bird to the Wise sandwich is like crack on a plate.

turkey + pastrami + swiss + onion kaiser roll = Fatty GHP

Boarder
9/18/2009, 11:06 PM
McAlester's is a solid meh. I am amazed that it's still there since that location seems to be a death trap for restaurants.

unbiasedtruth
9/18/2009, 11:09 PM
Yep, that's the joint. On Hal Muldrow across the street from what used to be the bus station.

thats the 2nd bus station in Norman, the newer one. When you talk to us "old timers", the bus station was on the west side of the train tracks, on north side of main, across from the original Dencos, and the train station....

maybe I'll wear my original Denco's shirt one day to a game as it says....

"I ate my Darlin' at Dencos"

Lott's Bandana
9/19/2009, 12:52 AM
thats the 2nd bus station in Norman, the newer one. When you talk to us "old timers", the bus station was on the west side of the train tracks, on north side of main, across from the original Dencos, and the train station....

maybe I'll wear my original Denco's shirt one day to a game as it says....

"I ate my Darlin' at Dencos"

With two lookin 'atcha!

GottaHavePride
9/19/2009, 08:42 AM
McAlester's is a solid meh. I am amazed that it's still there since that location seems to be a death trap for restaurants.

Considering it's been there what, 5 or 6 years now? I think they've broken the Atomic Burrito curse.

The REAL deathtrap is the location next door to Victoria's.

Lott's Bandana
9/19/2009, 09:17 AM
Considering it's been there what, 5 or 6 years now? I think they've broken the Atomic Burrito curse.

The REAL deathtrap is the location next door to Victoria's.

Monique's is going to make it there...at least I hope so...I loves me some Monique's.

GottaHavePride
9/19/2009, 09:27 AM
I was hoping the kebab place would make it - that place freakin' ROCKED.

EDIT: I also liked the onion burger place. It seems like all the places in there have been great, but died.

Lott's Bandana
9/19/2009, 09:29 AM
Considering Monique's made it for decades over next to Royal Pipes...I've wondered if she has Toto's connections!!?

:cool:

King Crimson
9/19/2009, 10:27 AM
lotta death-traps on campus corner....maybe it's the rents but nothing seems to make sense there in my years as a townie or observation from afar.

when Toto makes your pizza (got to go on Christmas Day, "inna day"), it's a real pizza. the other stuff on the menu i might eat selectively if it was free.

Petro-Sooner
9/19/2009, 10:40 AM
Always wanted to try Toto's.

King Crimson
9/19/2009, 11:16 AM
Always wanted to try Toto's.

i haven't been in half a decade, but inna day on Christmas Day a lot of Norman High peeps used to go there to get a pie with Toto at the stove and drink some Budwater out of 10 inch beer glasses...waiting for the Deli to open for live music.

used to be a good pizza. don't know about everyday life with student employees tossing your pie. place HAS been there forever.

bluedogok
9/19/2009, 11:52 AM
Chick Filet should replace all the McDs on the Pike.
Then they wouldn't be open on Sundays.

Dean, what should have tipped you off in the first place is that it's not a REAL DELI. :rolleyes: That place is average in the abysmal sense.
I like the Pastrami Melt at Jason's but the best pastrami that I have ever had was at Friedman's in Chelsea Market (http://www.friedmanslunch.com/) in NYC, you just can't find that kind of pastrami out here, Boar's Head is the closest acceptable alternative that I have found but it just isn't the same. The sandwich had about an inch and a half of meat in it, my wife doesn't like pastrami but liked the Friedman's pastrami.

Boarder
9/19/2009, 09:11 PM
I went to Toto's a few weeks ago. It was an older dude making the pizza, no kid workers to be found. And, it was really tasty. I liked the atmosphere. It's on the A-list now.

Petro-Sooner
9/19/2009, 09:35 PM
do they sell it buy the slice like ny pizza or is it similar to a pizza hut or what not?

OUAlumni1990
9/19/2009, 09:43 PM
I can honestly say I've never eaten there..

Boarder
9/19/2009, 09:52 PM
I had never eatne there until that time. We just got a pizza. It was like a regular Italian/Pizza place. Not just blow you away awesome but solid and good.

Same with that place on Lindsey just west of Elm. JJs, I think. Solid.

Norman has a bunch of great local restaurants.

TopDawg
9/19/2009, 11:45 PM
I love me some JJs pizza. Weird (random) hours and maybe the least friendly service in town but the pizza be good.

Another death trap is that place on west lindsey across from taco bell. That club or whatever.

Last time I ate at Totos was about a year ago. The old guy waited on us. Griped at us, a group of guys, for not bringing any "puss."

Petro-Sooner
9/19/2009, 11:47 PM
JJ's is another place I never tried but always wanted to.

GottaHavePride
9/20/2009, 12:01 AM
I've eaten at Toto's once. I agree, it was solid. I think I dig NY Pizza a little more. Never tried JJ's.

Pizza Shuttle might have the worst pizza in town, but their sandwiches are indescribably killer awesome. Holy cow.

OklaPony
9/20/2009, 09:08 AM

True, but it was definitely the only bus station on Hal Muldrow. Guess I should have written "the most recently deceased bus station".

The old one on Main was originally an Interurban trolley station I believe.

Boarder
9/20/2009, 05:43 PM
Another death trap is that place on west lindsey across from taco bell. That club or whatever.

One time I think an occupant of that building closed down before it even opened. That's the serious black hole of clubs.

I remember when it was Lee Chastain's of Norman. There was a Chastain's in OKC and it was like they wanted it called Chastain's but couldn't. Yeah, it didn't last long.

TopDawg
9/21/2009, 10:06 AM
I've eaten at Toto's once. I agree, it was solid. I think I dig NY Pizza a little more. Never tried JJ's.

Pizza Shuttle might have the worst pizza in town, but their sandwiches are indescribably killer awesome. Holy cow.

NY Pizza is a few notches higher than Toto's in my book too. NY Pizza is closer to JJ's than to Toto's for me.

And you're exactly right about the Pizza Shuttle sandwiches. When I was a student we'd get those coupon books that would be loaded with Shuttle coupons. I never used the pizza ones but would use up ALL of the sandwich ones.

kbsooner21
9/21/2009, 10:26 AM
Best sandwich place around is Hobbies Hoagies in Edmond, 2nd and Santa Fe. The little cherry peppers they put on the sandwich is to die for. Incredible sandwiches!

Fraggle145
9/21/2009, 01:49 PM
McAlester's = suck.

Sam FTW.

Fraggle145
9/21/2009, 01:50 PM
Jimmy Johns is my personal favorite in Campus Corner right now. Decent straightforward sandwich. In and out in 5 minutes max.

C&CDean
9/21/2009, 03:17 PM
Ate Cheddar's for lunch today.

Onion rings were good, club sammich was meh. Momma had a chicken/bacon sammich and it was pretty good. The burgers we saw being consumed looked pretty good too. So did the grilled salmon.

Best thing about this place, it was a hell of a lot better and cheaper than McAls.

TopDawg
9/21/2009, 03:23 PM
Cheddar's has to be one of the best values in Norman. You get a lot of food for a reasonable amount. And it's good too.

C&CDean
9/21/2009, 03:30 PM
Cheddar's has to be one of the best values in Norman. You get a lot of food for a reasonable amount. And it's good too.

The $3.99 onion rings were stacked in a mountain that 4 people couldn't eat.

yermom
9/21/2009, 05:41 PM
the spinach dip there is really good

and if you like girly drinks the "painkiller" lives up to its name ;)

i didn't realize we had one. i've been to one in Tulsa, and somewhere in the Dallas area...

Fraggle145
9/21/2009, 06:49 PM
I have never been impressed with Cheddar's either. Overrated. Had the worst Monte Cristo of my life there.

JLEW1818
9/21/2009, 06:51 PM
if anything is overrated its freaking Chili's. (food aint bad, but for the price?)

their prices go up every year.

you can get way more food at Chedders for a better price, IMO

LilSooner
9/21/2009, 07:27 PM
if anything is overrated its freaking Chili's. (food aint bad, but for the price?)

their prices go up every year.

you can get way more food at Chedders for a better price, IMO

Chili's is such a disappointment. Rhino and I ate there all the freaking time until they got rid of the lettuce wraps. That was the only thing on the menu that was 2000 calories and tasted like crap. I so miss those things the ones from Pei Wei just don't compete.

Fraggle145
9/22/2009, 12:12 AM
Chili's sucks too. :D