In this order:

1. Braums Fries, when properly seasoned
2. Arby's Curly Fries
3. Them crinkle-cut jobs what you get from the freezer section
1,000,001: McDonalds "Fries"

Prove me wrong. :twinkies:

BillyBall
9/18/2009, 02:17 PM
There is this place in Chicago called Hot Dougs that cooks their fries in duck fat.

They will take a year off your life, but its probably one of those years where you will just be a drooling lunatic anyway.

C&CDean
9/18/2009, 02:19 PM
Greek House. Cooked in the drippings from the Gyro meat. What do I win?

NormanPride
9/18/2009, 02:19 PM
There is this place in Chicago called Hot Dougs that cooks their fries in duck fat.

They will take a year off your life, but its probably one of those years where you will just be a drooling lunatic anyway.

This sounds amazing... Despite the fact that I have never met a hot Doug.

King Crimson
9/18/2009, 03:18 PM
Greek House. Cooked in the drippings from the Gyro meat. What do I win?

pretty good. local Mexican joint you can watch them ladle lard into the fryer out of a 5 gallon bucket and when people ask (usually sorority girls and your Nader type Boulderites) they smile and say in i'm pretending to speak less English than i really do: "peanut oil". it's total BS. and a million years ago Service Station had great fries.

SteelClip49
9/18/2009, 03:39 PM
Braums- Yuck
Arby's- Not as good as they once were

McNellie's sweet potato fries, Sonic, Whataburger, Wendy's....mmmmmmm!

tator
9/18/2009, 03:42 PM
Is Tator Tots an option?

Tulsa_Fireman
9/18/2009, 03:45 PM
Throw my hat in with Whataburger fries.

But NOT because of the fries.

Whataburger has the greatest ketchup on the face of the planet. Dare I say, the UNIVERSE. If anyone can tell me what brand of ketchup they use, I will give you assorted praise and an expired coupon for a $99.95 paint job from Earl Scheib.

soonerbrat
9/18/2009, 03:52 PM
mmmmmmmmmmm...whataburger.

they built a new one in Moore down the street from me. I kept bugging the bf to go there with me and he said he didn't like it. Then he got some coupons for free burgers and agreed to go. Then he said "oops, I was wrong, this is best burger I've ever had"

Sooner04
9/18/2009, 03:55 PM
Did somebody say Whataburger?

If so, I'm their #1 customer. The day they moved in down here in Lovely Ardmore was the HAPPIEST day of my life. As a matter of fact, I had lunch there today.

Whataburger with cheese and mustard on texas toast. Scrum-diddly-umptious.

And the fries. Holy ****, the fries. Delivered to you still searing from the deep fryer.

If God made anything better he kept it for himself.

soonerbrat
9/18/2009, 03:56 PM
they have the best ketchup ever too

soonerbrat
9/18/2009, 03:59 PM
and P.S. Braum's fries are not anywhere NEAR being the best ever.

soonerbrat
9/18/2009, 03:59 PM
OH OH...Johnnie's fries are delicious too

Viking Kitten
9/18/2009, 04:06 PM
Always order your Johnnie's fries well-done. Little trick I picked up back in 'Nam. Seriously, try this and you will thank me.

Partial Qualifier
9/18/2009, 04:13 PM
The Mont has surprisingly good fries. As does Ricky's Mexican Cafe (I know... long story)

And those little fries at Freddy's Frozen Custard are good.

Always order your Johnnie's fries well-done. Little trick I picked up back in 'Nam. Seriously, try this and you will thank me.

X2. Especially if you're getting your order to go.

Johnnies' cheese fries, fries well done and 1/2 melt time on the cheese. Good lordy lordy.

I Am Right
9/18/2009, 04:16 PM
Two Frogs

King Crimson
9/18/2009, 04:18 PM

even slightly undercooked fries are even more annoying than slightly undercooked pizza. i'm looking at you Cosmo's Pizza in Boulder, living on "rep" these days are we?

Oldnslo
9/18/2009, 04:22 PM
yall, it isn't even close. The best fries in the Universe are available at Nathan's Hot Dogs.

Now. 'round here, maybe it's whataburger or whatever. I'll vote for Freddies. But when given the choice, it's Tots, and then it's the Boomarang in Okmulgee, followed by Ron's.

JLEW1818
9/18/2009, 04:35 PM
I only like the Arby fries , if u have Arby Sauce

eating at Arbys is pointless, unless you like Arby sauce... IMO .. hehe

Taxman71
9/18/2009, 04:50 PM
Best fries: Don's Alley in Del City

Braum's have potential, but are usually undercooked.
Arby's also have potential, but are cooked so much they will chip a tooth.

+1 on McNellie's sweetpotato fries....yum

JohnnyMack
9/18/2009, 04:52 PM
followed by Ron's.

Ron's Spanish Fries win this contest going away, if we allow non-potato items to be included in the fryer.

NormanPride
9/18/2009, 04:53 PM
You people and your "tots".

And Braums fries are the best ever because of their golden and delicious exterior, and the lovely potato flavor that remains even after being in the fryer. I loves me some Whataburger, but the ketchup is the only thing those potato sticks have going for them.

Did you know that Whataburger tastes better the closer the joint is to the original Corpus Christi location? True story, people.

NormanPride
9/18/2009, 04:54 PM
Ron's Spanish Fries win this contest going away, if we allow non-potato items to be included in the fryer.

Oh, I forgot about those... Yeah, for a potato augmentation entry those win hands down. Mmmm...

StoopTroup
9/18/2009, 05:00 PM
My Wife's sweet potato fries.

What do I win?

soonerinabilene
9/18/2009, 05:10 PM

Yes. Yes. Yes. I saw the No Reservations episode where Tony went there and as soon as they showed the outside of the building i told my wife, he has to try the fries at this place. They make them in duck fat, and they are fantastic. Sure enough, he had em.

StoopTroup
9/18/2009, 05:24 PM
This is a No Tea-Sipping Zone.

proud gonzo
9/18/2009, 05:25 PM
You people and your "tots".

And Braums fries are the best ever because of their golden and delicious exterior, and the lovely potato flavor that remains even after being in the fryer. I loves me some Whataburger, but the ketchup is the only thing those potato sticks have going for them.

Did you know that Whataburger tastes better the closer the joint is to the original Corpus Christi location? True story, people.
Really? because I don't think I've ever gotten Braums fries that golden or crispy.

And Classic 50's totally pwns Arby's curly fries.

StoopTroup
9/18/2009, 05:27 PM
You betta learn to cook them sweet potato fries PG.

It keeps me coming Home...:D ;)

My Opinion Matters
9/18/2009, 06:08 PM
1. Oklahoma Joe's.
2. Wing Stop

Every place else.

soonerinabilene
9/18/2009, 07:40 PM
mmmh, Wing Stop. I totally forgot about their fries. With the cheese sauce. OMG. Greatness.

GrapevineSooner
9/18/2009, 08:36 PM
The gentleman who just got home from Mooyah Burgers and Fries would like to politely disagree with you all.

sooneron
9/18/2009, 09:01 PM
You hillbillies are clueless.

Five Guys. period.

picasso
9/18/2009, 09:15 PM
McNellie's Tulsa, sweet potato fries.

A Sooner in Texas
9/18/2009, 09:21 PM
1. Oklahoma Joe's.
2. Wing Stop

Every place else.

Murphy's in Bartlesville - which also has the best hamburgers in the universe. I crave them all the time, and no visit home is complete without Murphy's at least twice, either dining in or carry out. It's been a landmark in B'ville for more than 50 years.

But since I'm hundreds of miles away, I have to satisfy my fries craving at Wing Stop. I love the blue cheese dip - probably the best blue cheese dressing I've ever had - and my son loves the honey mustard.

Oh, and we both love Braum's too, but it, like Murphy's, is a long-distance love.

picasso
9/18/2009, 09:25 PM
Oh man, nothing like a Murphy's patty melt with fries covered in gravy! Hits the spot after a round of golf.

They have some good house salad dressing too.

A Sooner in Texas
9/18/2009, 09:31 PM
Oh man, nothing like a Murphy's patty melt with fries covered in gravy! Hits the spot after a round of golf.

They have some good house salad dressing too.

Oh, yeah, that garlic dressing. Mmmmmmmmm.

Thank god I just had some Wing Stop fries or I'd be starving now.

picasso
9/18/2009, 09:33 PM
Oh, yeah, that garlic dressing. Mmmmmmmmm.

Thank god I just had some Wing Stop fries or I'd be starving now.

Well I just grubbed at McNellie's.:D Sweet potato fries that are so good I know of 3 people who have tried to recreate them at home. Without success.

Pretty good $13 steak to boot.

GottaHavePride
9/18/2009, 09:41 PM
There used to be a burger place in Wichita called Zipp's. Those were the second-best fries in the universe.

The best were at a place called Longnecker's. That place also no longer exists.

proud gonzo
9/18/2009, 09:49 PM
ZIPP'S!!!! YES.

Sooner04
9/18/2009, 10:24 PM
The best were at a place called Longnecker's. That place also no longer exists.
You talking about the old Longnecker's that used to be in Norman? I've got a mug from there circa '87. It was a family favorite for pre-game meals before heading over to the LNC for some Billy Ball.

GottaHavePride
9/18/2009, 10:44 PM
About the same time period there was one in Wichita, back behind the First National Bank (now an Intrust) on west Central. I think now the place is Jerry's Bar.

picasso
9/18/2009, 10:45 PM
You talking about the old Longnecker's that used to be in Norman? I've got a mug from there circa '87. It was a family favorite for pre-game meals before heading over to the LNC for some Billy Ball.

What were you 8 then?

sooneron
9/18/2009, 10:45 PM
Heh, guys in my frat used to steal the Longneckers trays and use them for rolling doobs.

sooneron
9/18/2009, 10:46 PM
What were you 8 then?

I was thinking the same thing.:confused:

picasso
9/18/2009, 10:58 PM
Well he did say family favorite. Gotta give it to Brando, he's living the Sooner dream.

Boarder
9/18/2009, 11:03 PM
How you people could have glossed over Dean's suggestion of the Greek House is beyond me. Did you not read? FRIED IN GYRO DRIPPINGS! How could that be better?

Also, Freddie's are delicious.

And, we happened to stumble into that place called Five Guys in Panama City Beach. Holy crap, that place was awesome. It gave In 'n' Out a run for its money. I so wish they had one here.

JohnnyMack
9/18/2009, 11:39 PM
Ron's spanish chili cheese fries rock dicks completely off. **** you if you don't know.

JohnnyMack
9/18/2009, 11:41 PM
In-N-Out burger is the MOST overrated burger joint. Evar.

Frozen Sooner
9/18/2009, 11:43 PM
Heh, guys in my frat used to steal the Longneckers trays and use them for rolling doobs.

Er...

:cool:

Sooner04
9/19/2009, 12:23 AM
What were you 8 then?
Five.

And they had a big traffic signal in the foyeur. Photographic memory, my man. Don't knock it 'til you try it.

King Crimson
9/19/2009, 06:13 AM
Five.

And they had a big traffic signal in the foyeur. Photographic memory, my man. Don't knock it 'til you try it.

originally, that space on Main about 1/4 mile west of Norman High was a very strange in retrospect "theme" dining place called Applegate's Landing...the traffic light was a holdover from the days when that restaurant had waterwheels and other incongruous "atmosphere" elements that de-centralized the giant dining area into smaller themes. Longneckers was a kind of Fuddrucker's type place if i recall. for a cheeseburger you had liqui-cheese out of the pump.

maybe sooneron can help me out with Applegate's Landing if he runs across this, there's no doubt in my mind he would remember it. it was pretty trendy to go there for a while. like i say, kind of a kitschy surrealism mostly steakhouse with some very dusty "high cuisine" offerings with a lot of "French" inspired cream sauces and stuff that were mostly tricked up soup/salad and meat and potatoes (+ your one vegetable of the day) in disguise. in truth, closer to Furr's than Escoffier.

SanJoaquinSooner
9/19/2009, 07:01 AM
check out this 3 minute clip by Bobby Flay talking about the best french fries. They show how to cook it.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/bobby-flay-on-french-fries/40021.html

GottaHavePride
9/19/2009, 08:39 AM
Bobby Flay is overrated.

And I know this was directed at 04:

What were you 8 then?

But in '87, I was 7.

picasso
9/19/2009, 09:50 AM
Five.

Oh I have my times. There's a few things that always will be retrievable in the depths of my memory but I'm also pretty sure I've drank more alcohol than you have.

Piccadilly's at Southroads Mall was always a stable. The fountains, the fried chicken legs, the chocolate pie. burp.

King Crimson
9/19/2009, 10:15 AM
heck, when i was a kid and we lived in North OKC for a few years i thought Pancho's Mexican Buffet was heaven.

winning a tee ball game and raising the flag for more enchiladas and ground "meat x" tacos at Pancho's was big livin'.

picasso
9/19/2009, 10:33 AM
heck, when i was a kid and we lived in North OKC for a few years i thought Pancho's Mexican Buffet was heaven.

winning a tee ball game and raising the flag for more enchiladas and ground "meat x" tacos at Pancho's was big livin'.

oh yeah, back in the day we appreciated tacos much more than kids of the now.
And getting to drink a Coke.

Petro-Sooner
9/19/2009, 10:35 AM

Truer words never spoken!

King Crimson
9/19/2009, 10:38 AM

the double-value menu generation doesn't appreciate the what the regular value menu generation went through for weird meat tacos or an enchirito.

SanJoaquinSooner
9/19/2009, 10:38 AM
Bobby Flay is overrated.

He's not cooking the fries. It's from a show called "the best thing I ever ate." Bobby chose french fries from Balthazar Restaurant as the best fried food he's ever eaten. The french fry chef from Balthazar shows how they cook them.

beer4me
9/19/2009, 02:39 PM
My vote goes to Johnnies

Preservation Parcels
9/19/2009, 11:20 PM
Does anyone else remember when the fast food places cooked their fries in a mixture of the grease drained from the burger grills and cooking oil? This insight came from a friend who used to manage a McDonalds. Then, they made their fries more "healthy" by switching to just oil. He said a lot of people complained about the new taste at the time.

GottaHavePride
9/19/2009, 11:54 PM
Does anyone else remember when the fast food places cooked their fries in a mixture of the grease drained from the burger grills and cooking oil? This insight came from a friend who used to manage a McDonalds. Then, they made their fries more "healthy" by switching to just oil. He said a lot of people complained about the new taste at the time.

So, sort of like me keeping a small jar of bacon grease around to cook with, and re-season my cast iron skillet as needed? Mmmmmmm, bacon....

StoopTroup
9/20/2009, 07:54 AM
The fries at Fat Burger may not be the best on the planet...but when you ladle them, mozzarella sticks, chicken sticks and katsup over the cheesesteak...it really sets the tone for the day. :D

bluedogok
9/20/2009, 12:38 PM
I like the Hyde Park Grill battered fries and fry sauce. I also like the breaded fried potatoes at Oklahoma Station BBQ and Jack's BBQ.

def_lazer_fc
9/21/2009, 01:35 AM
ive never had a fry from braums that wasn't unsalted and undercooked. maybe just bad luck? i like mcdonalds fries if they are fresh from the fryer and about a min overcooked.

my fave may be wingstop though.

kbsooner21
9/21/2009, 10:37 AM
How anyone can even mention Johnnies as the best fries is beyond me.

sooneron
9/21/2009, 10:46 AM
originally, that space on Main about 1/4 mile west of Norman High was a very strange in retrospect "theme" dining place called Applegate's Landing...the traffic light was a holdover from the days when that restaurant had waterwheels and other incongruous "atmosphere" elements that de-centralized the giant dining area into smaller themes. Longneckers was a kind of Fuddrucker's type place if i recall. for a cheeseburger you had liqui-cheese out of the pump.

maybe sooneron can help me out with Applegate's Landing if he runs across this, there's no doubt in my mind he would remember it. it was pretty trendy to go there for a while. like i say, kind of a kitschy surrealism mostly steakhouse with some very dusty "high cuisine" offerings with a lot of "French" inspired cream sauces and stuff that were mostly tricked up soup/salad and meat and potatoes (+ your one vegetable of the day) in disguise. in truth, closer to Furr's than Escoffier.

I think we went there once or twice back in the 7th/8th grade. That sounds about right. My vote back then was always for the real Interurban, Denco's or Hoops. Interurban had a hawt waitress that would flirt with me. Heh, I was about 14 and she was probably 22-25. Great idea though, flirt with the kid and get a good tip from the parents. Of course, I don't think this works so well with a waiter and a little girl scenario. So yes, Longneckers was preceded by Applegate's. Actually, I think there may have been one other restaurant in that location. Can't remember...

Longneckers was a rip off of Fudruckers, but it was pretty good.

Balthazar is flippin awesome and you people don't know fries til you go to a 5 Guys.