PDA

View Full Version : I love articles like this.....

sooner59
9/18/2009, 02:12 AM
I called all of the first 6 teams with picks that year stupid and I stand behind that statement.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/09/17/adrian/index.html?eref=sihpT1

gaylordfan1
9/18/2009, 02:21 AM
He's a God among boys!!!!!

Sooner in Tampa
9/18/2009, 05:38 AM
AD is hands down the best running back in the NFL right now.

It is discussed ad naseum on talk radio here in Tampa about what could have been...but I remember the same people calling in before that draft...many questioned if AD could stay healthy. It has truly been a blessing for AD...imagine if he had been drafted by the Lions...ugghhhhh

Crucifax Autumn
9/18/2009, 05:46 AM
I love that AD is destined to be the best ever.

As for the Lions...heh...They've managed to squander and ruin things when they picked Sooner backs in the past, so good for them not taking Adrian.

badger
9/18/2009, 10:34 AM
The Vikings really should thank Bob Stoops for Adrian Peterson. You may recall that they called Bob when they were considering who to take, and Stoops had to convince them that AD was worth the No. 7 pick.

So anyway, as a Packer fan hoping that either (a) AD would fall to Green Bay or (b) Green Bay would trade up to draft AD, boo on Stoops, boo :D

As a Sooner fan, AD ended up in a very good situation in Minnesota, where they had no passing game and would allow AD all the carries he could handle... and as we all know first-hand, AD can handle a lot of carries, a lot of Schmiddy conditioning workouts and a lot of fourth quarter yardage.

Plus, you look at all the teams that drafted ahead of the Vikes... not many are good situations. The Lions would have destroyed him, the Raiders would have misused him (or not used at all when their batsh!t crazy owner demanded more deep balls), etc etc.

Widescreen
9/18/2009, 11:14 AM
I suspect that those 6 teams feel much like the record companies who passed on the Beatles before someone finally gave them a recording contract.

badger
9/18/2009, 11:18 AM
Not that I disagree with Widescreen, but teams draft for needs more than ever, so perhaps the way they make decisions needs re-evaluation.

Maybe miserly Al Davis is onto something when he drafts the fastest player every year regardless of what Mel Kiper projects. :D

Sooner in Tampa
9/18/2009, 12:08 PM
Not that I disagree with Widescreen, but teams draft for needs more than ever, so perhaps the way they make decisions needs re-evaluation.

Maybe miserly Al Davis is onto something when he drafts the fastest player every year regardless of what Mel Kiper projects. :D
THIS!!!

Another reason the Buccaneers passed on AD, Cadillac Williams has just finished an awesom rookie season and looked like he was the RB of future for the franchise. Two substantial knee injuries later...the Buccaneers now have a committee to handle the RB duties...Cadillac, Ward, and Graham.

BoulderSooner79
9/18/2009, 12:19 PM
For the most part, those teams are getting good value from the players they picked - the article exagerated. As Badger pointed out it has worked out well for AD. Only the Cardinals might have been better as they got to the superbowl; but they have such a poor history as an organization, they may only be a short term view. Teams are reluctant to go with RB as extremely high picks because the position has the shortest career span. I'm glad AD landed where he did and I hope he has a long career and lots of playoff games.

stoopified
9/18/2009, 04:00 PM
One ex-scout said NO ONE EXPECTED HIM TO BE THIS GOOD.First of all I say WTF,second I say maybe that is why he is now an EX-scout.

Bourbon St Sooner
9/18/2009, 04:11 PM
I still wonder if AD can last 10 years in the league running the way he does, but he is a freak of nature. If anybody can do it he can. I mean last week something like 150 of those 180 yards were in the second half. The man does not wear down.

badger
9/18/2009, 05:16 PM
Teams made the decisions they had to with those first six picks (except Oakland, but as I've stated multiple times, crazy owner makes crazy pick). The thing I wonder is why no team made a move to get up high enough to draft AD... you know... like the Packers :(:(:(

Perhaps AD should make the other 31 teams pay and not just the first six?