PDA

View Full Version : Eat your vegetables

Petro-Sooner
9/17/2009, 06:39 PM
Do you purchase your corn or green beans from a can or frozen in the bag? Which way is healthier? I grew up eating the caned variety but wondered if the frozen ones were better.

StoopTroup
9/17/2009, 06:43 PM
RoyalFan send us all fresh corn.

Fraggle145
9/17/2009, 06:48 PM
I would think fresh>frozen>canned. Only because the stuff in the can has to go through a sort of cooking/pasteurization or has a bunch of preservatives.

A Sooner in Texas
9/17/2009, 06:58 PM
I would think fresh>frozen>canned. Only because the stuff in the can has to go through a sort of cooking/pasteurization or has a bunch of preservatives.

Yup. Frozen is better than canned, but lightly steaming them is best to keep all the vitamins and healthy stuff. Plus, they usually taste better that way - covered in lots of butter, of course. :D

Petro-Sooner
9/17/2009, 06:59 PM
covered in lots of butter, of course. :D

Is there any other way? :texan:

royalfan5
9/17/2009, 07:12 PM
RoyalFan send us all fresh corn.

You should have asked 6 weeks ago. Everything is dented and drying down now. I just have enough stored for personal use.

StoopTroup
9/17/2009, 08:01 PM
Veritas has our back. I knew you weren't a playa.

AlbqSooner
9/18/2009, 06:48 AM
Check the sodium content of the canned stuff vs frozen. Those of us on a low sodium diet have learned that other than the salt shaker, the biggest source of sodium is from things like sodium sorbate and sodium citrate which are preservatives in canned goods and boxed meals.

Those of us on a low sodium diet have also learned that when removing a nice ribeye from the grill, grab the shaker and screw the low sodium for one meal.

soonerbrat
9/18/2009, 09:24 AM
Frozen taste better to me...I get those ziplock steamer bags and they go in the microwave...very tasty.