PDA

View Full Version : 75% of OK HS Students Can’t Name the First Pres of the US. 5% think it was W.

sooner KB
9/17/2009, 03:58 PM
7% think Barack Obama wrote the Declaration of Independence.

Ouch. (http://trueslant.com/jeffhoard/2009/09/17/understatement-oklahoma-students-fail/)

NormanPride
9/17/2009, 04:03 PM
90% of the time they get poor education every time.

JLEW1818
9/17/2009, 04:08 PM
great parenting.

poor kids

soonerinabilene
9/17/2009, 04:12 PM
stupid survey put in front of bored hs students. Me thinks they just filled in dots to get done faster.

mdklatt
9/17/2009, 04:12 PM
great parenting.

poor kids

I don't imagine the parents of most of those kids would do any better.

mdklatt
9/17/2009, 04:16 PM
I wonder how they selected their survey sample?

A staple of local news is where they go out and interview local HS kids to prove how awful our schools are, etc, etc. The problem is that, as best as I can tell, they interview kids they find at a mall during the middle of a school day. Don't just interview the dumbasses who are skipping class!

JLEW1818
9/17/2009, 04:16 PM
I don't imagine the parents of most of those kids would do any better.

True

TheUnnamedSooner
9/17/2009, 04:37 PM
I remember a survey they put in front of us when I was in HS. I remember the part for the males in asking what they should expect on a date. One of the answers were along the lines of:

If you buy her dinner and she doesn't want to have sex, force it upon her.

Guess what was about 40% of the response?

KABOOKIE
9/17/2009, 04:52 PM
If you buy her dinner and she doesn't want to have sex, force it upon her.

Guess what was about 40% of the response?

Yermom?

BOOMERBRADLEY
9/17/2009, 05:10 PM
Those tests are pointless anyway

I remember filling stuff out at random on those things. I also got a 27 on my ACT so I'm no moran

JLEW1818
9/17/2009, 05:11 PM
Those tests are pointless anyway

I remember filling stuff out an random on those things. I also got a 27 on my ACT so I'm no moran

lol i only got a 21... bastard ... :P

tulsaoilerfan
9/17/2009, 08:15 PM
stupid survey put in front of bored hs students. Me thinks they just filled in dots to get done faster.

I agree; hell i remember lots of kids doing that when i was in High School, so i doubt it's changed much in the last 2 decades

CK Sooner
9/17/2009, 08:17 PM

You is a dumby.

LosAngelesSooner
9/17/2009, 08:17 PM
THEY THINK DER LEADER WROTE THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE?!?!?!

NOW WE KNOW WHAT WAS IN THE ORIGINAL LONG FORM VERSION OF DER LEADER'S SPEECH TO SCHOOL CHILDREN ON HIS SECURE PRIVATE FEED TO ALL SCHOOLS IN 'MERICA!!! HE JUST SNUCK IT IN ALL SUBLIMINAL-LIKE!!!!:D

badger
9/17/2009, 08:18 PM
TRICK QUESTION! If they just asked for "first president" then the answer could also be Jefferson Davis! Also, who are we to say that the tribes native to America didn't elect presidents themselves long before Columbus mistakenly found this country? Finally, was George Washington ever elected as president? If not, wouldn't that make John Adams the first president? Besides, don't you have to be in the White House in order to be president? Then Adams is "first president" once again!

:P Oklahoma is full of smart arses like me, not smart people like the South Oval.

hotshot13422
9/17/2009, 08:53 PM

I got a 33, lol

olevetonahill
9/18/2009, 01:32 AM
TRICK QUESTION! If they just asked for "first president" then the answer could also be Jefferson Davis! Also, who are we to say that the tribes native to America didn't elect presidents themselves long before Columbus mistakenly found this country? Finally, was George Washington ever elected as president? If not, wouldn't that make John Adams the first president? Besides, don't you have to be in the White House in order to be president? Then Adams is "first president" once again!

:P Oklahoma is full of smart arses like me, not smart people like the South Oval.

When ya was borned ?
Tricky bastards .:pop:

def_lazer_fc
9/18/2009, 01:53 AM

can you even get into college with a 21?

tommieharris91
9/18/2009, 01:55 AM
can you even get into college with a 21?
There's a school in Stillwater that takes people who make a 21 on their ACT.

SicEmBaylor
9/18/2009, 01:55 AM
Having attended Oklahoma public schools, 2nd-12th, this does not surprise me.

SicEmBaylor
9/18/2009, 01:58 AM

I made a 26. My math score was atrocious.

The breakdown went like this:
English: 30
Reading: 32
Science: 27
Math: 14

def_lazer_fc
9/18/2009, 02:05 AM
math was my low score too. i actually had to bone up on a lot of stuff before i took the test. think i had a 25 in math

SicEmBaylor
9/18/2009, 02:06 AM
math was my low score too. i actually had to bone up on a lot of stuff before i took the test. think i had a 25 in math

*******. ;)

SicEmBaylor
9/18/2009, 02:12 AM

I should have. I am ridiculously lazy though. I'm pretty sure I never studied for a damned thing in HS, but I made straight A's with virtually no effort except for math (I never count math, because you see, I can't count so I'm being consistent). My senior year I decided there was virtually no point in going to school for 5 days since most of my classes were blow-offs so I only went 4 days a week. When I took the ACT, I took it once and got a score high enough to get into Baylor so I said f-k it.

The thing is...
All of my friends were studying and working their asses off trying to make PERFECT grades and then most of them went to places like NSU, OSU, and OU was the most difficult but even with OU you don't need a 4.0 for 4 years with a 36 ACT score. I realized exactly what I needed to get into the sort of school that I wanted to go to and then I thought, **** it. No point in busting my *** when I can coast.

Now...when I got to college that hurt me early-on because I had no idea how to study or work hard. I've always done well academically in college, but I had to work really hard to catch up and learn how to study and work.

def_lazer_fc
9/18/2009, 02:53 AM
I should have. I am ridiculously lazy though. I'm pretty sure I never studied for a damned thing in HS, but I made straight A's with virtually no effort except for math (I never count math, because you see, I can't count so I'm being consistent). My senior year I decided there was virtually no point in going to school for 5 days since most of my classes were blow-offs so I only went 4 days a week. When I took the ACT, I took it once and got a score high enough to get into Baylor so I said f-k it.

The thing is...
All of my friends were studying and working their asses off trying to make PERFECT grades and then most of them went to places like NSU, OSU, and OU was the most difficult but even with OU you don't need a 4.0 for 4 years with a 36 ACT score. I realized exactly what I needed to get into the sort of school that I wanted to go to and then I thought, **** it. No point in busting my *** when I can coast.

Now...when I got to college that hurt me early-on because I had no idea how to study or work hard. I've always done well academically in college, but I had to work really hard to catch up and learn how to study and work.

i was the same way. i had no idea what "studying" was until i got to college.
:D :D

badger
9/18/2009, 09:29 AM
I'm a citizen! Are you???? (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13442226/)

Dear test: No, I don't know what form it is to get citizenship! Why is that even a question?!

tator
9/18/2009, 09:35 AM
Is it just me or did this thread turn into an ACT-peen-flexing contest?

(32 here :D)

OklahomaTuba
9/18/2009, 09:38 AM
"Old School" style principal turns around crummy school:

http://article.nationalreview.com/print/?q=NGI0NzBlMTNiODZkMjBlZjhlYTdhZGMwZWViY2YzNGY=

Before: Basket Weaving and Bead Making.
After: School ranks #5 out of 1,300.

Just say'n...

badger
9/18/2009, 09:41 AM
Is it just me or did this thread turn into an ACT-peen-flexing contest?

(32 here :D)

Yes, and since my score wasn't brag worthy, here's my big brother's: 34, beyonces! :D

I have had difficulties with lengthy test taking ever since kindergarten when they made us take those boring tests at the end of the year. However, my test score did not totally suck (but I would not brag about it, either) and it was definitely above the OU required score... although technically, I think you can have a bomb'd ACT and a high GPA (or a high SAT) and make it in.

NormanPride
9/18/2009, 11:12 AM
"Old School" style principal turns around crummy school:

http://article.nationalreview.com/print/?q=NGI0NzBlMTNiODZkMjBlZjhlYTdhZGMwZWViY2YzNGY=

Before: Basket Weaving and Bead Making.
After: School ranks #5 out of 1,300.

Just say'n...

I agree with that guy on all but the standardized tests. But that's only because the implementation of testing in America is so amazingly ****-poor that the incentives and penalties wrapped around the tests force the schools into a never-ending cycle of forcing students and teachers on a curriculum path that benefits no one.

JLEW1818
9/18/2009, 12:00 PM
lol a 21 on the ACT = like a 1000 on the SAT ... haha i didn't care

i can't sit still for 5 hours..

besides.. I'm paid to drink :D

starclassic tama
9/18/2009, 12:36 PM
not surprising at all. we rank what, 46th in education?

KEEP THAT EVILUTION OUT OF 'ER SKOOL BOOKS

SicEmBaylor
9/18/2009, 02:57 PM
not surprising at all. we rank what, 46th in education?

KEEP THAT EVILUTION OUT OF 'ER SKOOL BOOKS

I really doubt it has one iota to do with the teaching of evolution especially since, this may come as a surprise, they teach evolution.

Also, I might remind you that in Oklahoma the Democrats have had a stranglehold on education since statehood. Hell, I think Sandy Garret has been the SecEd since statehood.

starclassic tama
9/18/2009, 03:02 PM
i never heard the word evolution in school until i got to college

SicEmBaylor
9/18/2009, 03:05 PM
i never heard the word evolution in school until i got to college

I graduated HS in 2001, and from k-12th I was never taught anything but evolution. I never even heard an alternate theory until I got to college. You must be Scopes trial old.

And let me tell you...I didn't exactly come from a progressive hamlet.

JLEW1818
9/18/2009, 03:14 PM
of course the big bang theory is real

the "bang" was the noise when God created the earth.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/18/2009, 03:46 PM
BANG!

OUAlumni1990
9/18/2009, 03:59 PM

no, the bang was when he had gas while he was working.

mdklatt
9/18/2009, 04:03 PM
Also, I might remind you that in Oklahoma the Democrats have had a stranglehold on education since statehood. Hell, I think Sandy Garret has been the SecEd since statehood.

99% of Oklahoma Democrats are blue-dog Democrats who would be Republicans but for the fact that they're still holding a grudge against Lincoln. I'm not sure if Sandy Garret falls in that category, though.

And the problems in Oklahoma education have very little to do with the ****wits in the house and senate wanting to put disclaimers in biology textbooks.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/18/2009, 04:05 PM
Yeah!

It has everything to do with *cue scary music*

RACISM.

starclassic tama
9/22/2009, 08:32 PM

you could change earth to universe and i actually wouldn't have a problem with that statement. saying god made it bang as opposed to an atheist scientist saying it just went bang isn't much different in my opinion. i just can't really believe there are people that can believe the bible verbatim in the earth was created in 7 days, man was created in an unchanged form at that same time and so forth. i'm not even sure the bible was supposed to be taken that literally

Sooner_Havok
9/22/2009, 08:54 PM
At least we are not Texas. Our kids will know stuff that the Texas kids will have no clue about. Should help Oklahoma in the long run, so long as we stay one big step of stupid behind Texas...

Texas Educators: Neil Armstrong Not a Scientist

By Robert Roy Britt, Editorial Director

Is Texas nuts? Vote below.

If you thought efforts in recent years by Texas educators to undermine the well-founded theory of evolution on behalf of a religious agenda were disingenuous, this one will send your blood pressure into the stratosphere and beyond:

"A Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills review team composed of parents and teachers has suggested removing Neil Armstrong from a 'science strand' in a 5th grade social studies book," writes Eric Berger, blogging for the Houston Chronicle.

At issue: The review team says the first man on the moon was not a scientist. Wrong.

As Berger notes, Armstrong got an aeronautical engineering degree from Purdue University, and a Master of Science degree in aerospace engineering from the University of Southern California.

Armstrong biographer James Hansen, author of "First Man," wrote the Texas Board of Education thusly:

"I find your reported decision to omit Mr. Armstrong's name from the 'science strand' in Texas's fifth grade textbooks totally ridiculous and unjustified. I wonder how many of your board members actually know anything about Armstrong's career other than he was first man on the Moon? ... As for him not being a 'scientist,' I dare say your Board members need a better understanding of what engineers do and how they do it, and how Armstrong was much more than a pilot; he was an engineering research pilot and astronaut whose every flight connected in important ways to the science of flying."

Armstrong himself once said: "I am, and ever will be, a white socks, pocket protector nerdy engineer." And what does he think about the definition of science vs. engineering? "Science is about what is; engineering is about what can be," the nerdy astronaut said back in 2000.

Okay, so if the Texas argument is that a scientist is someone who conducts raw science, as opposed to dreamy engineering stuff, then here's a tidbit from history: On the moon, Armstrong helped set up the Early Apollo Scientific Experiment Package. And of course he helped bring back moon rocks, following scientific protocols, so they could be studied. Scientists say much of what's been learned about the moon is the result of studies conducted by Apollo astronauts and research done on the dust and rocks they brought back. See Top 10 Apollo Era Moon Discoveries.

(Aside: Check out this creative account, by Armstrong, of a moon rock named "Bok" being brought to Earth for scientific purposes.)

There's another side to this, argues biology professor PZ Myers, who blogs here. Myers contends that the recommendation, while based on a faulty assumption, is not unreasonable because the state should lay out broad guidelines for instruction and not be involved in niggling details.

"What the curriculum should do is say that the social studies classes for that grade level should do is discuss the space program, its goals and its effects on American society," Myers writes. "It shouldn't be saying that the teacher has to do this by asking students to memorize the names of famous astronauts."

Yeah, okay. Ahem and, well, after all, we're only talking about the first man on the moon.

the_ouskull
9/23/2009, 02:32 AM
great parenting.

poor kids

I agree that the parents shoulder some of the blame, yes, but at what point should the kids also be held accountable? "Poor kids" my *ss. It's lazy kids. Whether or not they're "allowed" to be lazy at home isn't even the point. It's the fact that they don't value an education at ALL; that retention of even the most basic knowledge about our country, etc... means absolutely nothing to these f*ck-dumb ticking welfare bombs.

I read this report late last week, and I wanted to post something about it, but I was too worried that I'd find myself ten pages deep in about twenty minutes of high blood pressure and scotchy scotch scotch.

I'm cutting myself short now 'cause I have a three hour drive ahead of me in the morning, and I'd like to see my pillow before the sun sees my window. When it comes to the f*cktardery of the youth of today, I could go on for hours... It's better I just stop now.

the_ouskull