PDA

View Full Version : Study - religious/conservative states have the highest teen pregnancy rates...

AggieTool
9/17/2009, 01:38 PM
Hmmm.......:rolleyes:

http://www.livescience.com/culture/090916-religion-teen-pregnancy.html

Frozen Sooner
9/17/2009, 01:41 PM
Just 'cause liberal teenagers are all gay or can't get any.

JohnnyMack
9/17/2009, 01:43 PM
:pop:

Jello Biafra
9/17/2009, 02:04 PM
why do people waste money on stupid shiite like this? im sure that study wasn't free. i wonder if they account for education levels? doubtful. schools take good ole fashion assswhupins out of the school. they take religion out of the school and some are taking sex ed out of the school and they wonder why we are having problems keeping these young adults under control? really? it's not rocket surgery lol

badger
9/17/2009, 02:06 PM
Just guessing, but I have a feeling it has something to do with the prevention of preggers, because kids regardless of religious and political affiliation will have sex.

1- Contraception. Probably not as accepted and widely available as it is in more liberal states.

2- Abortion. Not as supported or encouraged as it is in more liberal states.

3- Wanted vs. unwanted. Since it just says teen preggers and not unwanted teen preggers, think about how soon kids will marry and then have kids. Maybe teen pregnancy isn't always such a bad no-no?

OklahomaTuba
9/17/2009, 02:10 PM
And their all racists too.

"We conjecture that religious communities in the U.S. are more successful in discouraging the use of contraception among their teenagers than they are in discouraging sexual intercourse itself."I believe that.

And I went to HS with people that got married.

I do wonder if the birth rates of those states isn't just higher to begin with anyway??

Anyway, glad our scientific community is doing such important, non-biased research work.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/17/2009, 02:16 PM
5 outta 10 states..not sure what that proves

I know the idea of the website is to debunk religion, but it seems they would have also included poverty rate since it also just has 5 states in common as well

Mississippi
New Mexico
Texas
Arkansas
Arizona
Oklahoma
Nevada
Tennessee
Kentucky
Georgia

1. Arkansas 18.5%
2. New Mexico 18.0%
3. Mississippi 17.9%
4. District of Columbia 17.3%
5. Louisiana 16.9%
West Virginia 16.9%
7. Texas 15.8%
8. Alabama 15.1%
9. Tennessee 14.3%
10. North Carolina 14.2%

Collier11
9/17/2009, 02:17 PM
So according the the point Aggie is apparently trying to make, Christian conservatives

A) Cant ever Sin
B) Can have Sex
C) Dont make mistakes

Im not sure where this idea that being a Christian Conservative makes you perfect ever came from

Collier11
9/17/2009, 02:18 PM
Also Aggie, there are more teen pregnancies with African Americans than whites, what would that prove to you?

Sooner_Havok
9/17/2009, 02:30 PM
So according the the point Aggie is apparently trying to make, Christian conservatives

A) Cant ever Sin
B) Can have Sex
C) Dont make mistakes

Im not sure where this idea that being a Christian Conservative makes you perfect ever came from

The holier than thou attitude presented by segments of them in regard to just about everyone else? The first to judge, last to accept responsibility mentality often on display during "Christian" conservative rallies? A few bad apples can spoil the bushel, or something like that.

Me, personally, I get a little frustrated when some my Christian neighbors condemn and vilify my mistakes, but when they stumble tout that nobody is perfect, and that we are all sinners. They then EXPECT to be forgiven and will say that Jesus teaches us to forgive others, completely forgetting that they never forgave you.

Collier11
9/17/2009, 02:32 PM
The holier than thou attitude presented by segments of them in regard to just about everyone else? The first to judge, last to accept responsibility mentality often on display during "Christian" conservative rallies? A few bad apples can spoil the bushel, or something like that.

Me, personally, I get a little frustrated when some my Christian neighbors condemn and vilify my mistakes, but when they stumble tout that nobody is perfect, and that we are all sinners. They then EXPECT to be forgiven and will say that Jesus teaches us to forgive others, completely forgetting that they never forgave you.

See, you are judging all Christians including myself because of a segment of self righteous and hipocritical idiots. Every group, religious, political, save the earth, blah blah blah, they all have em

Sooner_Havok
9/17/2009, 02:44 PM
See, you are judging all Christians including myself because of a segment of self righteous and hipocritical idiots. Every group, religious, political, save the earth, blah blah blah, they all have em

I wasn't judging all Christians, and especially not you. I tried very hard to do just the opposite by including the word segments and "Christians" instead of calling them Christians.

I did want to answer your question however, and I do feel that that is where the idea comes from. I know some Christians that would make Jesus proud, but I also know many "Christians" that would make him cry like David Spade.

Collier11
9/17/2009, 02:47 PM
I realize where it came from and I didnt mean to say that you implied it, but in the same way Aggie is being a prick and trying to imply that Christians are hipocrites for being sinners, he is being a hipocrite for implying that all Christians are judgmental, self righteous hipocrites

stoops the eternal pimp
9/17/2009, 02:49 PM
i think they are just talking about you c11

stoops the eternal pimp
9/17/2009, 02:49 PM
devil boy

stoops the eternal pimp
9/17/2009, 02:51 PM
you just love the lord so you can play basketball

Collier11
9/17/2009, 02:52 PM
I am always taking the fall!

badger
9/17/2009, 02:55 PM
Is pregnancy always a bad thing? Does the study explicitly say that teens are unwed, that the pregnancies are unwanted, that the babies will all be supported by Oklahoma DHS because they don't have adoptive parents?

Just sayin'

Sooner_Havok
9/17/2009, 03:05 PM
I realize where it came from and I didnt mean to say that you implied it, but in the same way Aggie is being a prick and trying to imply that Christians are hipocrites for being sinners, he is being a hipocrite for implying that all Christians are judgmental, self righteous hipocrites

Every group has it's people that give them a bad name. A lot of people in this country think Islam is bad because of the actions of a few of it's radical practitioners. The Muslims I know don't try to make any apologies for what the radicals do, but to a large section of people in this country, that doesn't matter. Look at some of the comments people have made at McCain/Palin rallies, and even as recent as the Tea Parties in regard to Muslims.

49r
9/17/2009, 03:09 PM
I'd drive to wisconsin for a quickie too...just sayin'

Jello Biafra
9/17/2009, 03:14 PM
this thread has taken an ugly turn down a roach infested dark alley.....im audi...

adoniijahsooner
9/17/2009, 03:58 PM
Let me be real up front and honest. I lived in North Tulsa, I lived in KCMO on prospect; but I had never had certain things done to me until I attended a christian university. It must be something about that group of people that lends itself to a certain debauchery.

49r
9/17/2009, 04:01 PM
That's every kid's story....losin' it at a bible camp or something. It's a rite of passage.

adoniijahsooner
9/17/2009, 04:04 PM
That's every kid's story....losin' it at a bible camp or something. It's a rite of passage.

Then afterwards it's the obligatory, "God is merciful" and "Nobody is perfect", which basically sets you up for the next go around.

JLEW1818
9/17/2009, 04:06 PM
White Straight Protestant Christian Republican Male

I WIN!!!!

I'm the only person that has a potential afterlife

;) ;) ;)

Frozen Sooner
9/17/2009, 04:13 PM
But if it's full of guys like you, who wants to go? :D

JLEW1818
9/17/2009, 04:15 PM
But if it's full of guys like you, who wants to go? :D

lol no.... ONLY ME... has an afterlife :D

I've already out smarted other Christians

AggieTool
9/17/2009, 09:33 PM
Wut? :D

Fraggle145
9/17/2009, 10:15 PM
Is pregnancy always a bad thing? Does the study explicitly say that teens are unwed, that the pregnancies are unwanted, that the babies will all be supported by Oklahoma DHS because they don't have adoptive parents?

Just sayin'

I hate babies. :mad:

Ike
9/17/2009, 10:53 PM

I can't speak for Aggie, but the thing I take away from the whole dealio is the following:

Also note, I haven't taken the time to read the paper. Just don't care enough.

1) The most religious/conservative/(and often poor, as was mentioned earlier) states tend to have high teen preggo rates.

2) This has nothing to do with the judgemental, self righteousness, and hypocracy that may or may not exist among some or all christians.

3) There may be a correlation between the high pregger rates and pushes for "abstinence only" sex ed. Abstinence only tends to be a christian/religious position.

4) While the idea of teens abstaining from sex is certainly appealing in theory, in practice, it is impossible to make a reality. We'll be arguing about Intergalactic politics long before teen abstinence becomes a reality. Kids make mistakes. Lots of them. Smaller kids have bicycle accidents. Rather than take their bikes away we gave them helmets.

5) Given the above, wouldn't a policy of "abstinence+" (abstinence plus maybe a rubber at a minimum) be a better policy than abstinence and only abstinence?

Curly Bill
9/17/2009, 10:57 PM
I can't speak for Aggie, but the thing I take away from the whole dealio is the following:

Also note, I haven't taken the time to read the paper. Just don't care enough.

1) The most religious/conservative/(and often poor, as was mentioned earlier) states tend to have high teen preggo rates.

2) This has nothing to do with the judgemental, self righteousness, and hypocracy that may or may not exist among some or all christians.

3) There may be a correlation between the high pregger rates and pushes for "abstinence only" sex ed. Abstinence only tends to be a christian/religious position.

4) While the idea of teens abstaining from sex is certainly appealing in theory, in practice, it is impossible to make a reality. We'll be arguing about Intergalactic politics long before teen abstinence becomes a reality. Kids make mistakes. Lots of them. Smaller kids have bicycle accidents. Rather than take their bikes away we gave them helmets.

5) Given the above, wouldn't a policy of "abstinence+" (abstinence plus maybe a rubber at a minimum) be a better policy than abstinence and only abstinence?

Why can't teens just be happy with a bicycle and a helmet? ;)

sooner ngintunr
9/17/2009, 11:11 PM
This person pretty much says that you are full of shiit.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/10795722-post10.html

message board fodder, living up to your screen name TOOL.

I look at the data and deduct that minorities have the highest teen birth rate.

:pop:

picasso
9/17/2009, 11:32 PM
Hmmm.......:rolleyes:

http://www.livescience.com/culture/090916-religion-teen-pregnancy.html

what's your point? Oklahoma has voted pretty conservative over the years and we're a poor state. Is that because us dumb righties are holding you down?:rolleyes:

Yay for the SO political thread starter person.

AggieTool
9/18/2009, 10:22 AM

^^^This!

We have a winner!:)

NormanPride
9/18/2009, 10:50 AM
Man, too many little kids are put in danger by bicycles! We need to place all our children in safety seats until they learn to properly move without injuring themselves.

mdklatt
9/18/2009, 11:09 AM
The study in question talks about birth rates, not pregnancy rates. IIRC, I've seen studies that say pregnancy rates are pretty much the same across the board, but if the thumpers are getting abortions at a lower rate that would explain the difference in birth rates.

Of course, I've seen lots of anecdotal evidence that the whole "birth control is a sin" attitude leads to unexpected babies. Well duh.

mdklatt
9/18/2009, 11:11 AM
Man, too many little kids are put in danger by bicycles!

It's not just little kids. ****ing bicyclists. GRUMBLE GRUMBLE GRUMBLE :mad:

47straight
9/18/2009, 01:55 PM
The more religiously-minded states have much lower incidences of abortion. The pregancy rates are probably similar between the different states, but examining that would get in the way of a nice little agenda against religion.

TMcGee86
9/18/2009, 09:04 PM
The fact that the study doesn't take culture into account instantly makes it worthless imho.

I don't think it's surprising that most of those top ten were border states.

Sure you could look at the info and say "whaddya know, those states are all religious. Christians are hypocrites."

I could take the same exact study and blame it on a hotter climate. It would be equally as disingenuous.

AggieTool
9/18/2009, 09:30 PM
The fact that the study doesn't take culture into account instantly makes it worthless imho.

I don't think it's surprising that most of those top ten were border states.

Sure you could look at the info and say "whaddya know, those states are all religious. Christians are hypocrites."

I could take the same exact study and blame it on a hotter climate. It would be equally as disingenuous.

See post 35.

47straight
9/19/2009, 02:02 PM
See post 35.

See post 41.